Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I did Pilates on Monday and it still hurts to laugh

CORE, Y U SO FLOPPY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I did Pilates on Monday and it still hurts to laugh

CORE, Y U SO FLOPPY

I feel like the only core I have is the one in a Ben and Jerry's tub. :P

I've been all over the place the last week or so with funerals and exams and living in a hotel. I genuinely miss my nutribullet. I haven't had "dinner" since Sunday. I want vegetables and to go running!

misslt wrote: »
    Don't think I nailed it. What an odd paper!

But it's done and I am freeeeeeee!

For like 3 weeks until I have to do CA2 :P

wooooooooo
    /claps
    what was it, SA2?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone here done a thesis for a masters and if so, how long did it take?

no mine was taught
    too lazy to thesis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Stheno wrote: »

Depends on the circumstances.

Is it a taught masters with a research project? Has the research been done? What's the word limit / target?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sullivlo wrote: »
    Depends on the circumstances.

Is it a taught masters with a research project? Has the research been done? What's the word limit / target?

I'm not sure what you mean I think taught with a research project? There were lots of different modules and the last module is a dissertation.

Dissertation is evaluated primarily on how it contributes to furthering/enriching the industry it is related to.

Basic research done more to do, and it's 15k words

I'm not sure what you mean I think taught with a research project? There were lots of different modules and the last module is a dissertation.

Dissertation is evaluated primarily on how it contributes to furthering/enriching the industry it is related to.

Basic research done more to do, and it's 15k words

Where I'm (was / soon to be) based, the masters students do a 12 week research project and have 4 weeks to write it up. They tend to leave it until the last minute and most productivity is in the last week :)

When is your deadline?

I know it's not the same thing but it's similar - I can write a research paper up in a week (with around 8,000 words). If you have a plan of what you want to say that's half the battle.

One piece of advice though - use a reference managing software (endnote/ref works/database of choice). Unless you can write in LaTeX - in which case, use that. I can't get my head around it at all though!

Even using a reference software allow for a full day of formatting.

If you need any help with any of it feel free to give me a shout. I do a lot of academic writing (papers, grants) and am happy to help :)

Where I'm (was / soon to be) based, the masters students do a 12 week research project and have 4 weeks to write it up. They tend to leave it until the last minute and most productivity is in the last week :)

When is your deadline?

I know it's not the same thing but it's similar - I can write a research paper up in a week (with around 8,000 words). If you have a plan of what you want to say that's half the battle.

One piece of advice though - use a reference managing software (endnote/ref works/database of choice). Unless you can write in LaTeX - in which case, use that. I can't get my head around it at all though!

Even using a reference software allow for a full day of formatting.

If you need any help with any of it feel free to give me a shout. I do a lot of academic writing (papers, grants) and am happy to help :)

End of Jan. However I am currently working a fairly heavy schedule in the day job

If you wouldn't mind I'll send you a pm later?

• Advertisement

End of Jan. However I am currently working a fairly heavy schedule in the day job

If you wouldn't mind I'll send you a pm later?

Yeah work away :)

Yeah work away :)

Thank you!! Much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I did a 25k word thesis for my masters, I took three weeks holidays from work to do it but realistically I faffed around for the first week and didn't start it til the second week. I got it done in that time, doing approx 8 hrs/day. If I wasn't such a technological dinosaur it'd probably have taken a little less, but I got bogged down with the referencing and formatting etc.

sam34 wrote: »
    I did a 25k word thesis for my masters, I took three weeks holidays from work to do it but realistically I faffed around for the first week and didn't start it til the second week. I got it done in that time, doing approx 8 hrs/day. If I wasn't such a technological dinosaur it'd probably have taken a little less, but I got bogged down with the referencing and formatting etc.

Thanks Sam, that's great to hear, appreciate the reply.

I was planning on blocking out a two week period just as you describe :)

Surrounded by loads of Germans who appear to have decided to come to Ireland to watch the football...in the Maldron in Newlands Cross. Why?!

Also, there are players on this Irish team who were playing the last time I gave a damn about football...15 years ago! :eek:

Surrounded by loads of Germans who appear to have decided to come to Ireland to watch the football...in the Maldron in Newlands Cross. Why?!

Also, there are players on this Irish team who were playing the last time I gave a damn about football...15 years ago! :eek:

Maldron is cheap and they work in one of the any firms who employ them in citywest?

• Advertisement

Maldron is cheap and they work in one of the any firms who employ them in citywest?

No, they all arrived on a tour bus this afternoon so they're definitely tourists.

No, they all arrived on a tour bus this afternoon so they're definitely tourists.

Weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

bluewolf wrote: »
    wooooooooo
    /claps
    what was it, SA2?

ST2! Only 4 questions, loads of parts were 10 marks+

Very odd.

But now I have a pint and I don't care.

Weird

Lots of couples in their late fifties/sixties. It's bizarre.

misslt wrote: »

But now I have a pint and I don't care.

One of the most difficult professional quaalifications I did involved two three hour written exams, the first on a Tuesday afternoon and the second the following morning.

The pass Mark was 50% there was a fifty per cent failure rate and 6% of people who sat it got a distinction which was 65% in both papers first time out

Before you could do the exam you'd a total of ten days in class with the same group with whom you would do the exam

So we all arrived on the Tuesday for the first paper which we did in a hotel. It was horrendous. When it was over, we were ime a hive mind.

With not one word being said as a group we made our way to the bar. Two pints each later we lamented the horror we had endured

• Advertisement

English fella at the bar just said to his mate, "I'm shouting for the Germans."

I felt like turning to him and saying, "After the humiliation of the rugby at the weekend, you can do what you like, pet."

Oh normally is doing stuff with mates on a Thursday evening.

Tested at lunch that he was free this evening. I was expecting to finish early today but was delayed by two hours so he rang to say he was finished work and I suggested he come into town.

Normally we'd go to dandelion but it's closed :(

Ended up in balfes beside the Westbury it's lovely, food looks great.

I'm mega busy with work at the minute so it's an unexpected treat that he's free this evening and we get to relax a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Got a text this morning to say my big New Look order was going to be delivered - I was so excited! I live up the road from work so I kept an eye out for the van. Usually couriers ring when I'm not at home and I get them to deliver up to work as they usually have to go to the business park anyway. But I found out at 10 that I could actually track the package and had a failed delivery - driver didn't bother to ring me, just left a card in the door. After me forking out for express delivery to have the stuff for the weekend, it was a waste of money! :(
    What a great start to the weekend!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Ah lads. I'm so busy so of course I am sitting in the cafe in college drinking tea and browsing boards. Why did I think it was a good idea to do a full time masters AND work.

Daisies wrote: »
    Ah lads. I'm so busy so of course I am sitting in the cafe in college drinking tea and browsing boards. Why did I think it was a good idea to do a full time masters AND work.

Insanity?

Daisies wrote: »

I'm cramming for my exam on tuesday right now

swearz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Insanity?

That is the only explanation!
    I'm cramming for my exam on tuesday right now

swearz

Ha ha ha. I have at least walked up into the library. That's a start right?

does anyone remember a while back someone posted a screenshot of a car insurance website where either dr/female or president/female was "invalid combination"?
    Be curious to try find it again

Stabbed myself in the eye putting in a contact lens this morning

It's finally stopped hurting

does anyone remember a while back someone posted a screenshot of a car insurance website where either dr/female or president/female was "invalid combination"?

Jeez I remember it... Was it in this thread or another tLL thread??

• Advertisement

Jeez I remember it... Was it in this thread or another tLL thread??

Either tLL or the motors forum iirc... I found the "occupation: married woman" one but it's the female one I wanted to find!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

hahaha really...should try male/nurse and male/teacher when you find it...see what happens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've turned into my mother. My housemate had his folks and brother over for dinner and all I could think of was ''I hope he's cleaned the kitchen floor as I haven't got to it this weekend''

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sarah1991

Hi Everyone,
    First time posting in this thread I think!

I had such a bad day in work today, literally felt like crying and just walking out, does anyone have any tips on how to get over a bad day? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You need to put it behind you, you can't go back. Just try and get some rest and hopefully the next day won't be as bad. Watch crap TV, go for a run, eat a little chocolate, whatever will put a smile on your face too.

Up early for a driving lesson this morning... only to realise that it was 8am instead of 7am. Sickened that I missed an extra hour in bed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I disappear for a couple of months and arrive back to lots of lovely baby news. If I didn't have a couple of babies already I'd be broody! Congrats Ivy and RK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It is COOOOOOOOOLD!!

Had the lesson observation today for my professional development, got graded outstanding :)

I started back to work yesterday. Today I was reading up on something for an experiment and I saw something that was potentially really interesting. So I decided to google it. The only google results were the paper I was reading. They essentially made up a phrase, failed to define it in the paper, and the only reference to it is in their work.

Talk about going around in circles!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cast is off and the crutches are gone and I have my car back!! \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Cast is off and the crutches are gone and I have my car back!! \o/

I read that as ''the cat is off the crutches''

:):)

Calling all rugby loving ladies of the forum :)

So I'm seriously tempted to have the most expensive day of my life to get to be at the game this Sunday in Cardiff.

I managed to put two Cat D tickets in my basket earlier, but when I talked to the OH, he wasn't keen on spending the most of his weekend trying to get there, dealing with the crowds etc etc.

So now I'm seriously tempted to head over on my own.

Are any of you travelling and if you are, how are you getting over (I'm in Dublin)

Would appreciate any thoughts :)

Proviso: I have to be in Dublin City Centre, in suit and boots at 8am Monday morning!

Calling all rugby loving ladies of the forum :)

So I'm seriously tempted to have the most expensive day of my life to get to be at the game this Sunday in Cardiff.

I managed to put two Cat D tickets in my basket earlier, but when I talked to the OH, he wasn't keen on spending the most of his weekend trying to get there, dealing with the crowds etc etc.

So now I'm seriously tempted to head over on my own.

Are any of you travelling and if you are, how are you getting over (I'm in Dublin)

Would appreciate any thoughts :)

Proviso: I have to be in Dublin City Centre, in suit and boots at 8am Monday morning!

Ferry and train.

Leave Cardiff after the game. Get the train at ~4 say. Arrive in Holyhead and check in to a hotel. Check out of said hotel at 2. Get the ferry back to Dublin and arrive in the port for 6! You might make the last fast ferry from Holyhead but I wouldn't rely on it. It's doable. I trained and ferried back after the Cardiff game and it was totally worth it. And think of the thesis writing you could do with 5 hours on the train ;):D

Ferry and train.

Leave Cardiff after the game. Get the train at ~4 say. Arrive in Holyhead and check in to a hotel. Check out of said hotel at 2. Get the ferry back to Dublin and arrive in the port for 6! You might make the last fast ferry from Holyhead but I wouldn't rely on it. It's doable. I trained and ferried back after the Cardiff game and it was totally worth it. And think of the thesis writing you could do with 5 hours on the train ;):D

Think of the prep for my class which is relevant to my thesis that I could do!

I've figured that much out.
    My problem is getting there, no 2am ferry over on a Saturday night :(

So it's chance the early morning ferry or pay a fortune for a flight?

Would I not be an awful sad eejit going over on my own, or would I probably find a group to cheer with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I just had a quick look there - Aer Lingus looking for €605 for the day trip on Sunday :eek: Nothing to BHX, very little to BRS and even the London flights are > £200 return.

London flights with the MRSC bus could be an option though if you're willing to stay the Saturday night and get on a bus at 7am. First one leaves Cardiff at 4pm so you could in theory make a 10pm flight from STN or LTN but that's cutting it fine. 6am Monday flight probably a bit more secure.

Have you checked sail and rail?

I just had a quick look there - Aer Lingus looking for €605 for the day trip on Sunday :eek: Nothing to BHX, very little to BRS and even the London flights are > £200 return.

London flights with the MRSC bus could be an option though if you're willing to stay the Saturday night and get on a bus at 7am. First one leaves Cardiff at 4pm so you could in theory make a 10pm flight from STN or LTN but that's cutting it fine. 6am Monday flight probably a bit more secure.

Have you checked sail and rail?

Thank you!

Yes I've checked sail and rail, no crossings Sat night/Sun morning so would have to go over Sat evening, find somewhere to stay which might be best given it's a trek from Holyhead, but would mean we'd get back for the fast ferry

Ach just had a talk with the OH there, as he didn't want to go and he's changed his mind (compared it to him paying anything to see David Bowie in the RDS.)

So now the plan is to take the Ferry Saturday to Holyhead, find somewhere to stay, drive to Cardiff at the crack of dawn and plan to take the fast ferry back at 7pm from Holyhead (OH doesn't drink and I reckon I'd be high on being at the match)

So there's something for starters, going to check out sailings and accomodation now, and alternates to that fast ferry.

Thanks to you both, appreciate it :)

• Advertisement

Thank you!

Yes I've checked sail and rail, no crossings Sat night/Sun morning so would have to go over Sat evening, find somewhere to stay which might be best given it's a trek from Holyhead, but would mean we'd get back for the fast ferry

Ach just had a talk with the OH there, as he didn't want to go and he's changed his mind (compared it to him paying anything to see David Bowie in the RDS.)

So now the plan is to take the Ferry Saturday to Holyhead, find somewhere to stay, drive to Cardiff at the crack of dawn and plan to take the fast ferry back at 7pm from Holyhead (OH doesn't drink and I reckon I'd be high on being at the match)

So there's something for starters, going to check out sailings and accomodation now, and alternates to that fast ferry.

Thanks to you both, appreciate it :)

Let me know if you need a navigator / back seat driver :pac:

Let me know if you need a navigator / back seat driver :pac:

Eh if you want a lift, and can sort yourself a bed, and have a ticket, consider yourself in :)

You'll just need to hook up with us on the Saturday :) and put up with a tired/drunken/grumpy me on the way back :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    It is COOOOOOOOOLD!!

Had the lesson observation today for my professional development, got graded outstanding :)

Congrats! We had inset yesterday to organise our PM targets - got no work done because of the meeting and then I was showing other staff some of the things I will be doing with my year 11 students

Still have this flu which has now developed into sinus problems - just as well I only have three lessons today

Stheno - you can do the thing! Hope it all works out!!

Today I learned that himself can predict with almost pinpoint accuracy when my period will arrive based on the size of my boobs. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I just thought, "I'd better buy biscuits in case I have visitors."

• Advertisement
Advertisement