Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I just thought, "I'd better buy biscuits in case I have visitors."

Sometimes I think this. Inevitably, I eat the biscuits and there are none left for the visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I just thought, "I'd better buy biscuits in case I have visitors."

Congratulations - you are now an Irish mammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Only when she has the normal biscuits for everyday use and the Good Biscuits for visitors :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm turning into a hipster. I drank craft beer today, and developed photo prints in the darkroom. All normal activities for me. But now I'm looking at typewriters on eBay.

I'll have to stay far away from Starbucks. But the idea of writing letters to people just sounds like fun.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm turning into a hipster. I drank craft beer today, and developed photo prints in the darkroom. All normal activities for me. But now I'm looking at typewriters on eBay.

I'll have to stay far away from Starbucks. But the idea of writing letters to people just sounds like fun.

Does drinking craft beer make you a hipster?

It's our anniversary today (seven years woohoo!) and when we were on holiday in Malta recently, the OH saw an outfit (jacket and jumper) in Esprit who dont have a shop here, so I bought it for him as an anniversary gift.

Then I felt guilty this evening as he always makes an effort on the day, so off out I went and spent two hours shopping for small gifts.

When he comes home later he now has a giant gift bag with multiple mini bags labelled "the man maintenance bag", "the designer bag" and and indulgence bag"

Now to put it in perspective, the indulgence bag is a music magazine, a couple of lindt teddy chocolates, and some tassimo americano pods

His designer bag is a new wallet from dkny bought in tkmaxx and some aftershave which was fairly cheap. His man maintenance bag is cosmetics for the next month or so.

Really looking forward to him coming home and hoping he likes it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Stheno wrote: »
    Does drinking craft beer make you a hipster?

I never thought so, but it might tip me over the edge with analogue photography and typewriters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

They're such thoughtful gifts Stheno!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They're such thoughtful gifts Stheno!

Thank you! We've a big gap between what I earn and what he earns, and he treated me out last night to a fantastic dinner in Dublin City Centre, and today when I came home, had a small gift, flowers and a lovely card on my part of the sofa.

He also bought me a lovely piece of jewellery when we were in Malta

He's on the way home now, I'm really looking forward to it :D

I hope he likes it :o

Cuuuuuuute!

Unexpectedly finished working with my customer at lunchtime, so got a half day woohooo :)

It will be rapidly used to complete my college assignment which is due, so I free up the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Looks like I'll have to return to work after maternity leave on 1st December rather than in January after all :( Buuuut at least this way I won't have it hanging over me all through Christmas, I'll (hopefully) get 2 weeks off over the holidays anyway and crucially, I'll have some money to enjoy it!

Just finished my last assignment for my masters, while it's good on content, I was well short word count wise :(

Just not caring at the moment.

Sick of working in an environment where you have to constantly retrain, study for qualifications, and whatever.

FML

Dolbert wrote: »
    Looks like I'll have to return to work after maternity leave on 1st December rather than in January after all :( Buuuut at least this way I won't have it hanging over me all through Christmas, I'll (hopefully) get 2 weeks off over the holidays anyway and crucially, I'll have some money to enjoy it!

Money is good! It's a shame you need to go back sooner than you'd hoped though. I'm back Monday, can't believe it :eek:

Money is good! It's a shame you need to go back sooner than you'd hoped though. I'm back Monday, can't believe it :eek:

Good luck! I've had a good long stint to be fair. Unfortunately morale is pretty low at the moment, lots of drama and arguments which is delightful to be going back to. I have my eye out for other options all the time. A few people have suggested that I "just get pregnant again"! Er yeah, there's a viable, sustainable solution :confused:

What better way to plan your family than around office politics! People are just mad I've found since having a baby, the amount of weird unasked for advice is insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm on pain meds for my back, quite strong ones, which have the unfortunate side effect of either making me really drowsy, or making me wired to the moon. Typically, on my child-free night with a lie in available, I'm now wired to the moon six hours after taking them, and of course the drowsy will likely kick in tomorrow evening when the child doesn't feel like bedtime. Oh goodie.

I laugh at the ones who suggest having another kid to avoid the back to work - clearly they've never stayed at home with a teething infant if they think office politics is the one to take a break from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Some people should learn to shut the f up. My cousin has had multiple miscarriages and a fatal fetal abnormality in the last few years. My aunt is after announcing to the extended family that she's pregnant again. I'm 99% sure she didn't get the go ahead from my cousin, as she's only 12 weeks. Could she not have waited? Hopefully everything will be ok this time but if it's not, ugh. :(

People announcing pregnancies and births before the parents just so they can get in there first are a serious pet peeve :mad: Unless you were directly involved in the manufacture of this baby, it's not your news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It's my Nan's first anniversary tomorrow and I really don't know what to do with myself.

• Advertisement

Aw mind yourself SarahBeep! Maybe have a wee treat in her memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Went to lie back down after hitting snooze around 7:30 this morning, only to get a short, sharp kick almost straight away... little one trying to be my guilty conscience about grabbing extra sleep? :pac:

Fire alarms this morning meant hundreds of people pouring out of the building at 5.30am ... No fire though. Incredibly annoying!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    It's my Nan's first anniversary tomorrow and I really don't know what to do with myself.

Hope you were ok today xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just looking at my annual leave - I literally have half a day annual leave left. And that's including 2 days carried forward from last year and 4 put aside for Christmas. On my annual leave chart I usually note beside it what the day/days were for, for my own reference. Ok I took two weeks in June for two trips away (which was stressful, don't come back from visiting relations and attending a weekend long sports event to packing for a sun holiday flying out the next day, all while you are sick!).
    All my other days have been either to attend hospital appointments with my husband or for when childminder has been unavailable. I literally have not taken a day off work this year of my own accord!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Just looking at my annual leave - I literally have half a day annual leave left. And that's including 2 days carried forward from last year and 4 put aside for Christmas. On my annual leave chart I usually note beside it what the day/days were for, for my own reference. Ok I took two weeks in June for two trips away (which was stressful, don't come back from visiting relations and attending a weekend long sports event to packing for a sun holiday flying out the next day, all while you are sick!).
    All my other days have been either to attend hospital appointments with my husband or for when childminder has been unavailable. I literally have not taken a day off work this year of my own accord!

That sucks :(

I had the most freakish day, went into work in a customer site, and got held up by 15 minutes leaving. It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to drive less than 15km home due to a crash, then as I finally get in, a colleague rings (at quarter past seven!) and while starting with "i'll be quick" didn't get off the phone for half a blinking hour. I hadn't any work scheduled for the next three working days (Fri/Tues/Weds) but he's an emergency that needs to be dealt with so that's my mega long weekend out the window :( Then I went to visit my friend who runs an underwear shop as I'd bought some stuff yesterday in the wrong size (I was a bit zombie like) and wanted to exchange it.

Arrive in, she's there, up to ninety as the credit card machine isn't working the past three hours, and the tech support from the credit card company have her completely confused looking for a "black box"

She knows I work in IT so asked if I'd talk to them on her behalf, so I said no hassles. On hold for half an hour or so, and while on hold I checked all the cabling, rebooted everything, and lo and behold it came back online. She was delighted :) and now has a list of three things to try if it happens again

Then I discover supervalu have a new gourmet deli, it looks great, lovely range of food, guess what's for dinner tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

That sucks :(

I had the most freakish day, went into work in a customer site, and got held up by 15 minutes leaving. It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to drive less than 15km home due to a crash, then as I finally get in, a colleague rings (at quarter past seven!) and while starting with "i'll be quick" didn't get off the phone for half a blinking hour. I hadn't any work scheduled for the next three working days (Fri/Tues/Weds) but he's an emergency that needs to be dealt with so that's my mega long weekend out the window :( Then I went to visit my friend who runs an underwear shop as I'd bought some stuff yesterday in the wrong size (I was a bit zombie like) and wanted to exchange it.

Arrive in, she's there, up to ninety as the credit card machine isn't working the past three hours, and the tech support from the credit card company have her completely confused looking for a "black box"

She knows I work in IT so asked if I'd talk to them on her behalf, so I said no hassles. On hold for half an hour or so, and while on hold I checked all the cabling, rebooted everything, and lo and behold it came back online. She was delighted :) and now has a list of three things to try if it happens again

Then I discover supervalu have a new gourmet deli, it looks great, lovely range of food, guess what's for dinner tonight?

Traffic was mental today. Stupid traffic. Can't see it being any better tomorrow because of the stupid rail strike.

What was for dinner? I had ikea pick'n'mix for mine. Fruit flavoured jellies count as one of my 5 a day, right?!

sullivlo wrote: »
    Traffic was mental today. Stupid traffic. Can't see it being any better tomorrow because of the stupid rail strike.

What was for dinner? I had ikea pick'n'mix for mine. Fruit flavoured jellies count as one of my 5 a day, right?!

Not had it yet, am back home working late :( Choice of beef and stout casserole or meatballs with coleslaw, green beans and toasted almonds, and roast veg :D

Thankfully I'm working from home tomorrow, lie in and no traffic for me woohoooo

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I had a McDonald's for dinner, diet be damned!

Absolutely snowed under with work at the moment too. Been at it constantly since 11am with only short breaks for food. Been unwell the past couple of weeks so I've a back log to work through. At least I'm able to do it from home though. Himself has just bought some furniture for our spare room, it's now an awesome home office. (I'm obviously making it good value for money by sitting on the couch with the laptop instead :D ) At least I have an excuse to go buy some shiny, new stationary items though, one of my favourite things. Someone keep me away from Etsy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I think I'm going to go to Calais to help in the refugee camp. Trying to find people to come with me (I have a car and could drive). People "liking" my status about it on FB, but nobody is offering to come....

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I had a McDonald's for dinner, diet be damned!

Absolutely snowed under with work at the moment too. Been at it constantly since 11am with only short breaks for food. Been unwell the past couple of weeks so I've a back log to work through. At least I'm able to do it from home though. Himself has just bought some furniture for our spare room, it's now an awesome home office. (I'm obviously making it good value for money by sitting on the couch with the laptop instead :D ) At least I have an excuse to go buy some shiny, new stationary items though, one of my favourite things. Someone keep me away from Etsy!

Tell me more about this Etsy? I have a corner of the dining room, within which lives my desk, which I love, it's stainless steel and smoked glass, but needs accessories :)

I apologise for whining about my colleague, he asked me for a ten line email about what could be done for the customer, but as it's an area I'd have more background in, it's now ten paragraphs long :D

• Advertisement

Tell me more about this Etsy? I have a corner of the dining room, within which lives my desk, which I love, it's stainless steel and smoked glass, but needs accessories :)

I apologise for whining about my colleague, he asked me for a ten line email about what could be done for the customer, but as it's an area I'd have more background in, it's now ten paragraphs long :D

If I could offer one piece of advice, unless you need ALL OF THE THINGS, avoid Etsy. Otherwise you'll be left wondering why you've now got a collection of brooches, whilst not owning a scarf to wear them on, nor ever have any intent on wearing a scarf. Or even an intent on wearing the brooches. You simply thought they were pretty. In all of the colours.

Oh the charity has been decided for the cycle to Galway next April. It's bumblance - the children's ambulance. They bring kiddies to their hospital appointments / home from the hospital. But they're really sick kiddies - genetic disorders or terminally ill.

They also do Angel Journies, which is the last journey from hospital to home before the kiddies gain their Angel wings.

I won't need any motivation to get me back on the bike now.

Just need to get this surgery out of the way!!

Tell me more about this Etsy?

Oh I love it but as was said, if you're trying to be careful with money, avoid at all costs! It's a bit like Ebay with more handcrafted items. I'm a sucker for pretty things that also serve a purpose, I have many pretty paper clips, dividers, diary inserts for my Filofax (someone suggested one on here I think last year and it opened a whole can of worms!), pens, nice boxes plus jewelry and things. I've also found THE ring and have been subtly hinting to the other half about it... watch this space :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

diary inserts for my Filofax (someone suggested one on here I think last year and it opened a whole can of worms!)

My bad... ;-)

My bad... ;-)

IT WAS YOU!!! :mad: :pac:

I've finished work, copied and pasted the email I was working on into word, and it was two and a half pages long!

mwahahahaaaaaa

Off to look at this etsy thing.

I've finished work, copied and pasted the email I was working on into word, and it was two and a half pages long!

mwahahahaaaaaa

Off to look at this etsy thing.

Meh, that was quick, too much effort to search :D

Planning on buying cool mugs in Carraig Dunn tomorrow though :)

I'm trying to finish up some work before bed (body clock is all messed up at the minute) but my (not so small) dog is trying to sit on my laptop. He thinks he's a cat :D

I'm trying to finish up some work before bed (body clock is all messed up at the minute) but my (not so small) dog is trying to sit on my laptop. He thinks he's a cat :D

I'd a wolfhound once who thought his place in life was on my lap, fecker weighed as much as I did.

At the same time I'd cats. One of them would come out at night, and sit on the wolfhounds back, and clean his ears (nothing wrong with them, but the cat was obsessed)

If the wolfhound resisted, he'd get an almighty smack of a paw across his face from the cat until he submitted.

It was truly hilarious to watch an animal 20 times the size of this cat living in fear of being walloped by the cat.

Haha my fella is the same. He's all mouth and barks when he sees a cat or smaller dog or puppy. If it comes near him he starts whimpering and is rooted to the spot. Big, scary dog me eye!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

IT WAS YOU!!! :mad: :pac:

You know it was worth it! I love my filofax. It's about the only thing retaining any sanity for me! Any good links for stuff on etsy?

You know it was worth it! I love my filofax. It's about the only thing retaining any sanity for me! Any good links for stuff on etsy?

I shall have a look and PM you a few decent ones :)

I'm nowhere near the level of the Filofax obsessives but I love mine too. If it's not written in there, it doesn't happen. I don't trust phone calendars for appointments

I shall have a look and PM you a few decent ones :)

I'm nowhere near the level of the Filofax obsessives but I love mine too. If it's not written in there, it doesn't happen. I don't trust phone calendars for appointments

I currently run four different email accounts and four calendars for work, I'd be fecked if I had to keep a filofax up to date.

I've one central email account that records everything, then individual stuff in the other three :)

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I need a hard copy of everything. When I did my dissertation for my degree I had to print off all the articles and journals (rather than read online) and then write out everything and then rewrite it over and over. Only when I had my final draft did I type it up. Same situation with keeping tracks of appointments and to do lists etc, has to be hand written. I think I was born about 50 years too late!

On a side note, I always recycle to lessen the impact of all my paper usage!

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I need a hard copy of everything. When I did my dissertation for my degree I had to print off all the articles and journals (rather than read online) and then write out everything and then rewrite it over and over. Only when I had my final draft did I type it up. Same situation with keeping tracks of appointments and to do lists etc, has to be hand written. I think I was born about 50 years too late!

On a side note, I always recycle to lessen the impact of all my paper usage!

Ah I guess there might be a difference here in that a given week, I might deal with up to twenty five new people in a training class every week, then be dealing with up to five different customers, some of whom I work with remotely, and some onsite, and then I also have an ongoing obligation.

I go home every evening and update my calendar with any changes so I know it's up to date.

I also have to invoice and if my calendar is not up to date it fecks that up :)

All my work stuff is done online. We can log in remotely but it only works on a computer, no checking my phone or tablet to see what my diary for the next day is like, pain in the rear!

All my work stuff is done online. We can log in remotely but it only works on a computer, no checking my phone or tablet to see what my diary for the next day is like, pain in the rear!

Jaypers, I'd die without my phone!

Oh it's a total pain, especially when my diary changes last minute and I could have had a lie in, but I have to go to my computer to check which defeats the purpose. There have been many wasted hours sitting in work with nothing to do because my morning has been cleared and nobody bothered to tell me. I'm very glad to be leaving this job soon haha :)

Having a bittersweet moment.

Bitter: I discovered that one of my girl crushes - Sarah Rafferty (aka Donna from Suits) - was a mere METRES away from me yesterday. She gave a talk in Trinity to the TCD law society in the building right next to mine. Total missed opportunity for a sneaky selfie.

Sweet: When googling her to figure out why an actress who plays a secretary in a legal firm would give a talk to a law society, I discovered that there are 10 episodes of suits that I have not yet seen. Therefore I now have plans for the banker.

/ adds suits to the list of things she has to watch (which currently consists of Greys, TBBT and all of the Star Wars movies)

• Advertisement

Is a girl crush like a man crush?

I'd a nice experience today.

One of the first places that myself and the oh used class as our regular got on my wrong side a couple of years ago, but we've many lovely memories of there.

In recent months we've started going back, so we shot off there for dinner with ohs son today.

Twas a bit of a disaster, so I sent them a private message on facebook with a bit of a complaint, and got a lovely reply inviting us to test their new menu (there were three different menus on display today)

Thought that was nice, I deliberately didn't post publicly and they'd no incentive to reply

And I'm loving the long weekend :)

Advertisement