Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

It's exactly like a man crush.

I like when restaurants make an effort to make amends for their mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm sick. Properly streaming, spluttery and sorry for myself. Is this what man flu feels like?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dolbert wrote: »
    I'm sick. Properly streaming, spluttery and sorry for myself. Is this what man flu feels like?

NO.

Man flu involves lying around declaring the end of the world, and having the odd sneeze.

you appear to be afflicted with sinus nastiness, that's horrid.

Have you tried a salt gargle?

I've used a nasal spray which has helped a little. Just hoping I don't give it to the baby but I fear he already has it :( I have to sing at an event on Saturday so I'm glad it's happened this weekend and not next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

sullivlo wrote: »
    It's exactly like a man crush.

Unrequited and terrifying? :(

I was thinking about someone who has a crush on me today (well, they asked me out.) He's a lovely man, gentle beyond belief, and kind, and caring. But he seems to have worked himself into a knot. And I worry about him. But I don't want to think I can change him or rescue him. Deep down I think he does need rescuing. As much as I need rescuing. Or maybe we could both fail spectacularly together. But it's 2am, I've been drinking. And this seems like an emotional booty call, so I'm off to listen to All Saints (after Kraftwerk finishes.)

In other news I've discovered fashion magazines. I spent the night sitting opposite a friend or in a bar, drinking nice beer, nice cider and tolerable wine and reading through Vogue and Harper's Bazaar. I have to do a fashion shoot later in the year and I don't know the first thing about fashion photography. So I looked at the pictures, and they're all pictures. Then I started reading the articles. And they're all about what seem like really amazing women (or gay men.) And there's jewellery, and dresses, and lifestyles, and it's all so perfectly put together and entirely unapologetic.

My problem with it is that it seems like easy mode. So fantastically put together I imagine their decades and sometimes centuries of existence has meant they're honed to perfection. The industry they're in means they've been honed to perfection. And the models are airbrushed, and the fashion is clothes-pinned, and the women are cheekboned.

And all that makes me think of Pin Up styles. Pin up is hugely accepting of fat women. I'm fat. I like crisps, especially Monster Munch. And I like beer and cider and wine, and pizza, and potatoes. I am not pretty. At least not by any definition. But it seems to me that the only fashion acceptance I can find, as a movement of fat women is pin up photography. If you look at Asos and their plus range pages the women are big, but they're not fat (and their clothes are pinned in the pictures after I bought a lovely baroque wallpaper fabric dress that hung off my like a belly.)

There's this weird aspirational/reality divide going on in me. I'd like those things in those magazines. I'd like to be unapologetic, and secure. I don't want hollow cheeks and mantelpiece cheekbones. Easy mode. Present a perfect magazine of perfect people with the forcefulness of an Apollo rocket. Fail to show beautiful fat people because they don't fit into runway looks. Fail to show so much. So much that is beautiful. So much beyond looks. And that's why I'll be behind the camera.

• Advertisement

So got a date for my surgery. End of November. Grand. Month and a bit to freak out about the needle and pain.

Call from the consultant secretary this morning. They've had a cancellation. For tomorrow!!! So I'll be going under the knife tomorrow morning. Nervous doesn't begin to cover how I'm feeling right now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So got a date for my surgery. End of November. Grand. Month and a bit to freak out about the needle and pain.

Call from the consultant secretary this morning. They've had a cancellation. For tomorrow!!! So I'll be going under the knife tomorrow morning. Nervous doesn't begin to cover how I'm feeling right now.
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Best of luck with it sullivlo! Being nervous for one day sounds much better than being nervous for a month. Blessing in disguise?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Best of luck with it sullivlo! Being nervous for one day sounds much better than being nervous for a month. Blessing in disguise?
    Ah yeah, just thought I would have time to get settled back into work and build up data so that when I was out of the lab and not able to work, I'd have stuff to analyse / write up.

Telling my boss after 2 weeks of work that I'm going into hospital kinda went down like a lead balloon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Oh wow that's quick! In one way though it means you don't have too much time to think yourself into a tizzy about it. But I know I'd be freaking out too.

On the plus side, when it gets to the end of November you can be all smug because it's done and dusted and otherwise you'd have spend the month dreading it :)

In any case, I hope it goes perfectly and the recovery is quick and you have plenty TLC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck Sullivlo, hope everything goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hope it goes really well Sullivlo!

I've completely forsaken fashion magazines. They make me feel like poop and they're bloody pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Good luck, Sullivo!

Work is crushing me lately, we have one set of stakeholders that are making my eye twitch. I really need a holiday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Best of luck sullivllo!!

Warning moan post

Feeling thoroughly miserable tonight. Under a lot of pressure in work, sure I failed my last module in college and have a thesis due in three months.

Just not with the programme

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

Stheno wrote: »
    Warning moan post

Feeling thoroughly miserable tonight. Under a lot of pressure in work, sure I failed my last module in college and have a thesis due in three months.

Hang in there baby!

Warning moan post

Hmm grades are in, got a b- and a c- was sure I was an f on both.

So pleased enough, my disseration is about 60% of the overall grade, and I was sitting on a solid b/second (they have some weird thing in masters where it's a merit/distinction) so a good dissertation means a first/second for me.

As someone working more than fulltime and doing it I'd be happy with either.

Does that sound like a cop out? To be happy with a second?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Stheno wrote:

I got a 2.1 and while happy enough, I had wanted a first. Not just for the sake of it but I knew I should be able to achieve it. My downfall was the fact that my entire final year was all essays apart from one written exam that was worth very little. I always work best under pressure and exams suit me better than assignments or course work. That's what's always put me off doing a masters, the thought of a thesis gives me nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Hmm grades are in, got a b- and a c- was sure I was an f on both.

So pleased enough, my disseration is about 60% of the overall grade, and I was sitting on a solid b/second (they have some weird thing in masters where it's a merit/distinction) so a good dissertation means a first/second for me.

As someone working more than fulltime and doing it I'd be happy with either.

No, does not sound like a cop out. You have a lot going on, working full time, and doing a masters degree. Juggling all of that is hard enough with out adding more stress on yourself.

Not saying you should stop trying for a first :) but don't beat yourself up.

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I got a 2.1 and while happy enough, I had wanted a first. Not just for the sake of it but I knew I should be able to achieve it. My downfall was the fact that my entire final year was all essays apart from one written exam that was worth very little. I always work best under pressure and exams suit me better than assignments or course work. That's what's always put me off doing a masters, the thought of a thesis gives me nightmares!

Here's your sister :)

However I've now three months. I'm very clear on my subject, so one month for research/surveys, two to collate it and do academic research and one to complete the thesis

I'm like you, I should achieve it, and know there are some aspects of me (like referencing and acadaemic stuff) that cause me to fall down, so I need to be disciplined.

Still a 2.1 in a Masters while working fulltime is nothing to be ashamed of.

My OH constantly tells me a huge amount of people drop out lol

• Advertisement

OP was a success. More extensive damage than showed up on MRI. So needed a full repair and decompression. I'm home now. In a sling for 4 weeks. Then the fun of rehab starts.

Would recommend sports surgery clinic. Fantastic facility. Cannot rate highly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I'm currently looking at going back to college as mature student next September. I've been looking at prospectus' all month and I think I have narrowed down the choices. I'm nervous and excited at the same time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Great to hear Sullivlo - look after yourself now and take it easy!

Great to hear Sullivlo - look after yourself now and take it easy!

Am on the couch with Netflix and magazines :) no danger of not taking it easy.

OP was a success. More extensive damage than showed up on MRI. So needed a full repair and decompression. I'm home now. In a sling for 4 weeks. Then the fun of rehab starts.

Would recommend sports surgery clinic. Fantastic facility. Cannot rate highly enough.
    Great to hear things went well, best wishes for a full recovery :)

Urgh woke up in the middle of the night and wasn't feeling well.

Have some sort of bug and haven't been able to keep anything down since then.

Just sent OH to the shop for those anti nausea pills you can get to see if it settles down.

Urgh woke up in the middle of the night and wasn't feeling well.

Have some sort of bug and haven't been able to keep anything down since then.

Just sent OH to the shop for those anti nausea pills you can get to see if it settles down.

Oh no. Hope they work. Awful storm last night too.

Seeems I have the winter vomiting bug :(

My sinuses are in such bother my teeth hurt. Jaysus.

• Advertisement

Mine gave me sore eyeballs earlier this week :confused:

Seeems I have the winter vomiting bug :(

I have a bit of this :-( Other end too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

More hours in the week, or less tiredness would be great.

I had a week off from college and I think I'm just about recovered now. I went home to my parents' place for a few days, and after almost the full mid-term my mind is returning to thoughts of having an office, and writing books. Drinking beer and writing books. Because beer and writing go together. Or wine and writing. Or whiskey and writing.

Maybe I'd just like a drink.

Oh Dan Carter <3<3

Oh Dan Carter <3<3

Eh he's my husband so kindly stop your nonsense :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I massively underestimated how many kids we'd get to the door and I never have junk in the house really so didn't want to be left with loads of sweets and chocolate. I ended up raiding my baking supplies of monster bags of m&ms and malteasers, the small bars of choceur milk chocolate from aldi, the milk choc and white choc buttons from aldi, mini jammy dodgers (which all live in my baking box) and the only junk I have for me...my boost bars :(

I totally didn't want to be THAT house that gives out fruit/nuts/dark chocolate or doesn't answer their door.

Housemates both have tonnes of junk but neither said 'hey give them some of my stuff' when I said numerous times that I was all out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I forgot to get any sweets in and have been hiding out with the lights off all evening. I'm waiting for my car to be egged in the morning!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

We got three trick or treaters tonight! Probably partly because we went out for dinner so missed the main time but now the house is full of chocolate! It's not safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I forgot to get any sweets in and have been hiding out with the lights off all evening. I'm waiting for my car to be egged in the morning!

The teenagers started knocking. So I stopped answering. That's where I draw the line, halloween is for kids. Anyone over the age of say 10, unless they're bringing younger kids around needs to feck off.
    Totally shocked at how a lot of people react to halloween, never noticed it before! I hate fireworks, bangers, bonfires...but kids going around trick or treating enjoying themselves is really no harm. They get so excited about picking what they want to dress up as and dressing up and it's a fun night for them. And I hate kids! :P

I am utterly exhausted. I'm just sleeping all of the time. I'm sure it's a side effect of post op meds, but I'm so sleepy.

I also feel so useless. I only have one functioning arm. And it's the wrong one!!! So I can't do my bra, tie up my hair, cook, clean... Showering hurts. Dressing myself is a nightmare.

I'm sure it's all for the greater good and that when it heals I'll be glad of having full functionality back in my arm and removal of pain.

But right now I hate this.

I hope you start feeling better soon :)

I just had my first solid food other than soup and bread since last Thursday

• Advertisement

I hope you start feeling better soon :)

I just had my first solid food other than soup and bread since last Thursday

Hope it stays in!

It will pass sullivlo. Hubby will look after you!

I hope both you and stheno feel better!

The teenagers started knocking. So I stopped answering. That's where I draw the line, halloween is for kids. Anyone over the age of say 10, unless they're bringing younger kids around needs to feck off.
    Totally shocked at how a lot of people react to halloween, never noticed it before! I hate fireworks, bangers, bonfires...but kids going around trick or treating enjoying themselves is really no harm. They get so excited about picking what they want to dress up as and dressing up and it's a fun night for them. And I hate kids! :P
    Every 15 mins BANG like a bomb! Not the little things they had when I was a kid. Where do they buy these fireworks?

They are still going off here during the night even though yesterday was monday. None tonight so hopefully that's it.

I still love halloween though!

Ah I hope you start healing up really quickly sullivlo. That's tough going but I guess you gotta go with the flow. Body knows best (most of the time)!

So, so busy in work this week. Got home at half 8 this evening and himself had a big hug, a cold glass of wine, and a curry simmering on the hob. I mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I think going back onto online dating as possibly the worst thing ive ever done.

I really feel crap about myself. And the fear of dying alone is back big time.

No joke, people are ****ing assholes.

pew wrote: »
    people are ****ing assholes.
    You don't sound like an asshole. You are people. ;)

It will pass sullivlo. Hubby will look after you!

I hope both you and stheno feel better!

Nice assumption on my relationship status ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

You don't sound like an asshole. You are people. ;)

Haha thank you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Was involved in a car crash yesterday, guy hit his brakes in front of us and we went into the back of him. I wasn't driving, so as soon as my friend's sister came to get her, I headed home. Was more worried about her as she has a bad shoulder anyway and was complaining of neck pain so we waited for ages for a response vehicle. Was at home and just put food on when her sister rang me saying that I should ring 111 and get myself checked out as my friend was sure I hit my head off the windscreen and when I was talking to her sister I was slurring my words a bit and at that stage I wasn't feeling right anyway, headache and my ears were feeling funny.

Rang them and they said they were going to send someone over (kinda like SouthDoc) to check me over, but 90 minutes later rang back to say that they were extremely busy and that if I could get to the hospital to go - so went and got told I've whiplash, been put on some strong medication and that I'd feel worse in the morning. Safe to say, I am feeling worse, but at work anyway - only have three lessons. Can't take the tablets at work as they make me drowsy - tired because I was awake 18 hours yesterday and only got 6 hours sleep last night. Fun times ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Rang them and they said they were going to send someone over (kinda like SouthDoc) to check me over, but 90 minutes later rang back to say that they were extremely busy and that if I could get to the hospital to go - so went and got told I've whiplash, been put on some strong medication and that I'd feel worse in the morning. Safe to say, I am feeling worse, but at work anyway - only have three lessons. Can't take the tablets at work as they make me drowsy - tired because I was awake 18 hours yesterday and only got 6 hours sleep last night. Fun times ahead!

Jeepers RG, glad you're (relatively) ok. Must have been an awful shock.

Why are you at work though?? Would they not let take a sick day after a car accident?? :-/

• Advertisement
Advertisement