Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

pew wrote: »
    I think going back onto online dating as possibly the worst thing ive ever done.

I really feel crap about myself. And the fear of dying alone is back big time.

No joke, people are ****ing assholes.

If you're feeling bad about it, take a break from it. It's supposed to be fun/exciting. I used to just take a break from it when it started making me feel bad, and go back to it when I felt like it again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Jeepers RG, glad you're (relatively) ok. Must have been an awful shock.

Why are you at work though?? Would they not let take a sick day after a car accident?? :-/

Dont think I felt shock because I was so focused on sorting my friend out tbh. Took the anti imflamatory tablet and feel less sore. Just so sleepy - have two lessons next which I'm putting the students working on laptops, so it will be fine, just trying to stay awake will be the hard part!

Friend didn't come in today as she didn't get seen by a doctor last night, so has been referred to the hospital to get checked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

sullivlo wrote: »
    Nice assumption on my relationship status ;)

You did just tell us you were married to Dan Carter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

You did just tell us you were married to Dan Carter :)

He's in NZ on official business :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's in NZ on official business :)

Did you see the video clip of Nigel telling him not to swear as "you're on telly mind" during the match last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm feeling very delicate. :(

I was out two nights in a row. I drank slowly, and I didn't drink that much. It just seems that me and late nights are no longer on friendly terms. And I had been so good for the past two months. Early nights and early mornings, but two missed bedtimes have me in bits.

I'd ask someone to send kittens and puppies but that's too much energy to be near me. I need an old dog that sleeps on my feet. And a fireplace.

I bought Tangfastics and two packets of Manhattan popcorn. They'll have to do until I buy a house with a fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Myself and himself are thinking about buying our first house and I've got the fear! It's normal to be absolutely terrified right...right?!?!?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Myself and himself are thinking about buying our first house and I've got the fear! It's normal to be absolutely terrified right...right?!?!?!

Yeah it can be stressful :)

But think of the end result !

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote:
    Yeah it can be stressful

Stheno wrote:
    But think of the end result !

True. I may possibly perhaps be over thinking it but I always like to know worst case scenario!

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you see the video clip of Nigel telling him not to swear as "you're on telly mind" during the match last week?

I love Nige. I want him to be my friend.

Hmm, I'm wondering if I've completely lost the plot.

My masters thesis module started at the end of Jan.

Due to my originally assigned supervisor going missing, I changed supervisor in June, and outlined what I wanted to do with her.

Since then I've done a fair bit of prep but haven't done anything substantive in terms of research etc.

I looked at it again tonight and my timeframes, and have a plan now for the next three months to get through the whole lot within the deadline, and it appears to be achievable :)

I've now got a week by week plan with 10% contingency built in :)

I'm just wondering if I'm going mad considering that that's fine!

Hmm, I'm wondering if I've completely lost the plot.

My masters thesis module started at the end of Jan.

Due to my originally assigned supervisor going missing, I changed supervisor in June, and outlined what I wanted to do with her.

Since then I've done a fair bit of prep but haven't done anything substantive in terms of research etc.

I looked at it again tonight and my timeframes, and have a plan now for the next three months to get through the whole lot within the deadline, and it appears to be achievable :)

I've now got a week by week plan with 10% contingency built in :)

I'm just wondering if I'm going mad considering that that's fine!

Nope. Not mad. Sounds like you're really on top of things.

Nope. Not mad. Sounds like you're really on top of things.

Why do they give you the guts of a year then to do something that can be done within 3 months?

Or is there a lot of procrastination about the actual topic? I think I skipped that, as in June when I spoke to my lead lecturer about changing supervisor, I proposed a new topic and then followed that up with a mail about the approach.

Does that generally take a fair whack of the year to get nailed down?

Masters ****e aside, I've gotten friendly with another lady recently, and she's not been about as much as normal the past few weeks.

Tonight we were chatting and I found out she's a lump on her lung which is cancer, and she's finding her treatment hard (the good new is it's 100% confined to her lung at the moment, and is very small, so her treatment is injection based, but she's wrecked after a treatment)

Now we are good enough friends that we'll go for a drink, and she runs a fairly busy shop, and if I drop in, she might ask me to look after the shop for a couple of minutes if she needs to go to the loo type of thing.

neither of us are fierce gushy people, but I was thinking of getting her a little gift bag for herself to treat herself, with maybe a nice bottle of wine, some manuka honey (my dad was given this when he had cancer to do whatever it does), a nice scented candle, and a blank card with a nice handwritten message.

What do you guys think?

• Advertisement

Why do they give you the guts of a year then to do something that can be done within 3 months?

Or is there a lot of procrastination about the actual topic? I think I skipped that, as in June when I spoke to my lead lecturer about changing supervisor, I proposed a new topic and then followed that up with a mail about the approach.

Does that generally take a fair whack of the year to get nailed down?

From what I've learned on your topic / situation, you're fairly ahead of the pack in terms of knowledge! Also, they understand that other assignments / exams / life gets in the way.

Masters ****e aside, I've gotten friendly with another lady recently, and she's not been about as much as normal the past few weeks.

Tonight we were chatting and I found out she's a lump on her lung which is cancer, and she's finding her treatment hard (the good new is it's 100% confined to her lung at the moment, and is very small, so her treatment is injection based, but she's wrecked after a treatment)

Now we are good enough friends that we'll go for a drink, and she runs a fairly busy shop, and if I drop in, she might ask me to look after the shop for a couple of minutes if she needs to go to the loo type of thing.

neither of us are fierce gushy people, but I was thinking of getting her a little gift bag for herself to treat herself, with maybe a nice bottle of wine, some manuka honey (my dad was given this when he had cancer to do whatever it does), a nice scented candle, and a blank card with a nice handwritten message.

What do you guys think?

Sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer is a prick.

That sounds like a really nice idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

What do you guys think?
    I think it's a lovely thoughtful idea. It's nice to be pampered when you're not feeling well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Deleted yesterday's rant. Although I'm still not ok with their initial reactions, my parents are now trying to help me and offering to buy clothes/underwear/hats etc to bring with me for the refugees.

It's a start!

Stheno wrote:

That's a lovely idea. Maybe double check she can drink while having treatment though, just in case? You could maybe get her some nice pampering bath bits instead? You sound like a nice friend :)

• Advertisement

A painter friend asked me to do a show with her in the coming weeks. I'd show some of my photos of Cork. She's showing some landscapes of Cork she did, they're more commercial than her usual stuff in an attempt to get her name out there and make some sales.

And now I'm looking at my photos and thinking, "Why would anyone want to hang these on their wall?"

I'm not the most pretty-picture person. But even still. Ugh. An attack of the confidence organs.

Made a vow recently to start looking after my teeth (to my shame it was four years since I'd been to a dentist :eek:)

Anyway, went to my local Smiles as they are open Saturdays and requested a dentist who is comfortable with nervous patients.

Had an exam a few weeks ago, and a good clean, needed a tooth out and a filling.

Went in today for the extraction, twas grand, but man it's slightly painful now as it settles.

Really happy with the dentist, he takes his time, explains what he's doing, and is drawing up a long term plan to deal with a few bits I've ignored like crowns on a couple of root canals.

Delighted to have found him tbh, my last dentist was brilliant, but is in Dublin 1 and his opening hours just don't fit with the sort of work I do.

Made a vow recently to start looking after my teeth (to my shame it was four years since I'd been to a dentist :eek:)

Anyway, went to my local Smiles as they are open Saturdays and requested a dentist who is comfortable with nervous patients.

Had an exam a few weeks ago, and a good clean, needed a tooth out and a filling.

Went in today for the extraction, twas grand, but man it's slightly painful now as it settles.

Really happy with the dentist, he takes his time, explains what he's doing, and is drawing up a long term plan to deal with a few bits I've ignored like crowns on a couple of root canals.

Delighted to have found him tbh, my last dentist was brilliant, but is in Dublin 1 and his opening hours just don't fit with the sort of work I do.

I'm afraid of the dentist. There. I said it.

I have TMJ. Essentially I grind my teeth. Needed them filed and a special gum shield made. Negative craic.

I love Smiles they're so nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

bluewolf wrote: »
    I love Smiles they're so nice
    They one of the only fun parts left of the Internets!

The rest is baiting into inane arguments! (Usually by me!).
    Remember when the Internets was fun!? :P

wha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Think she meant smilies as in :) not smiles...the dentist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

In two weeks I shall be posting from inside MY BRAND NEW APARTMENT!!!!!

Moving in with a friend, so excited!!

SarahBeep! wrote:
    In two weeks I shall be posting from inside MY BRAND NEW APARTMENT!!!!!

That's so exciting!! Best of luck in your new home. If you need any help shopping for housey things... :D

I have some sort of sinussy thing after getting my wrecked tooth out, it's like my sinuses were blocked and are now unblocked :(

And I had a stitch put in after the tooth was taken out, it's starting to dissolve and feels like there is a spider waving it's legs around my mouth

Whinge over :)

Oh sullivlo, I too greatly fear the dentist. My next trip involves getting a cracked filling repaired, I literally grip the edges of the chair the entire time they are doing the drilling.:o

• Advertisement

I have some sort of sinussy thing after getting my wrecked tooth out, it's like my sinuses were blocked and are now unblocked :(

And I had a stitch put in after the tooth was taken out, it's starting to dissolve and feels like there is a spider waving it's legs around my mouth

Whinge over :)

Oh sullivlo, I too greatly fear the dentist. My next trip involves getting a cracked filling repaired, I literally grip the edges of the chair the entire time they are doing the drilling.:o

My last dentist looked like the crazy guy from friends who lived under Rachel and Monica and complained about noise. My issue with dentist is needles. And the smell! I'm okay with the drilling.

Overdue a scale & polish. Situation made worse now that I'm left handed brushing. No way my gnashers are getting properly cleaned. Will investigate a place to go!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Think she meant smilies as in :) not smiles...the dentist
    Oh sorry yes I thought you said smilies Blue wolf.

Some people love smiles. I love smilies. ..... I think we need some others on boards!

P.S smiles are nice too!

But here is a smilie! :pac: old school!

There should be a smilies emoticon thread! Goes to sunshine and lollipops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My last dentist looked like the crazy guy from friends who lived under Rachel and Monica and complained about noise.

Mr Heckles!

We once named a local stray cat Bob Buttons. His brother's name was Claire Danes. I forget the reasons

My last dentist looked like the crazy guy from friends who lived under Rachel and Monica and complained about noise. My issue with dentist is needles. And the smell! I'm okay with the drilling.

Overdue a scale & polish. Situation made worse now that I'm left handed brushing. No way my gnashers are getting properly cleaned. Will investigate a place to go!

Nah it's the drills for me, I have a high tolerance for anaesthetic, and a dentist once proceeded to give me too little, then drill away :eek:

If you are interested in a recommendation, my former dentist who actually got me over my fear (I took two years from when he told me I needed a root canal to going back and having it done) is in the IFSC if that location would suit.

He is an absolute pet.

Nah it's the drills for me, I have a high tolerance for anaesthetic, and a dentist once proceeded to give me too little, then drill away :eek:

If you are interested in a recommendation, my former dentist who actually got me over my fear (I took two years from when he told me I needed a root canal to going back and having it done) is in the IFSC if that location would suit.

He is an absolute pet.
    My last filling was just on the surface so he said I didn't need to be numbed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Marriage Equality is law!
    I'm sitting here at my desk, all emotional about it.

Dear sweet suffering mother of the divine, why did I think it was a good idea to do a masters?

I'm sitting here going "WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Too much information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

/may have recently discovered google scholar.

Dear sweet suffering mother of the divine, why did I think it was a good idea to do a masters?

I'm sitting here going "WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Too much information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

/may have recently discovered google scholar.

Have you discovered web of knowledge? #MindBlown

Google scholar is great. Love it.

• Advertisement

Have you discovered web of knowledge? #MindBlown

Google scholar is great. Love it.

Link to web of knowledge?

Be warned, if I have a complete meltdown after seeing it, you'll be on my blacklist of people to whom I never want to talk to again :D

Link to web of knowledge?

Be warned, if I have a complete meltdown after seeing it, you'll be on my blacklist of people to whom I never want to talk to again :D

It's essentially Google scholar without the duplicates. It provides abstracts and links to your institutions subscriptions to access journals. It also exports references to your reference management software of choice.

If there's anything you can't find, whip me thru a PM and I'll check TCD access for you.

Think it's just www.webofknowledge.com - I has it bookmarked on work computer (& blacklisted at home :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

This seems too minor an issue to go starting a new thread for, but I'm just interested to get some opinions.

I live alone and am currently looking for a subtenant. Some of the more promising replies I've received are from men.

Would you be comfortable about having a random unknown man visit your house for a viewing when you're home alone? I guess the ideal would be to have a friend over, but I really don't have anyone nearby and I don't like inconveniencing people.

Any safety precautions I should take? I guess I should probably mail a family member with their details and ask them to call me after the viewing (to check I'm still alive!), although that feels a little OTT.

I'm probably overthinking it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This seems too minor an issue to go starting a new thread for, but I'm just interested to get some opinions.

I live alone and am currently looking for a subtenant. Some of the more promising replies I've received are from men.

Would you be comfortable about having a random unknown man visit your house for a viewing when you're home alone? I guess the ideal would be to have a friend over, but I really don't have anyone nearby and I don't like inconveniencing people.

Any safety precautions I should take? I guess I should probably mail a family member with their details and ask them to call me after the viewing (to check I'm still alive!), although that feels a little OTT.

I work alone (giving language lessons to individuals) and some of the things I do to stay secure are to ask for a full name. I pass the full name, address (not relevant to your situation) and phone number and any other details onto my husband so that if I don't come home when I say I will, he knows where I am.
    Googling the name can sometimes verify what they tell me.
    Personally I don't think it's OTT!
    Also, after you've met a few people, you sort of get a feel for timewasters/creeps.

It wouldn't cross my mind to have a chaperone there for viewings tbh. If I were a perspective tenant I might even be a bit insulted by it.

Maybe I'm in a minority though.

It wouldn't cross my mind to have a chaperone there for viewings tbh. If I were a perspective tenant I might even be a bit insulted by it.

Maybe I'm in a minority though.

That crossed my mind too! Having been the new potential tenant a million times in the past, I'd have certainly been put off by other random people hanging around if I went to view somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

That crossed my mind too! Having been the new potential tenant a million times in the past, I'd have certainly been put off by other random people hanging around if I went to view somewhere.

They wouldn't have to follow you around from room to room, they could just chill in front of the tv while you did the tour.

It's your home at the end of it, and you have a right to feel comfortable in it.

I think I hopefully don't have to worry about it. I only placed the ad this morning, and a girl rang me nearly straight away, she happened to be in the area so wanted to view ... I didn't have the house or room ready and wasn't planning on viewings for another week, but had her come by anyways, and I think we're both happy to go with it! Woohoo! Surprised how easy it was. :)

Pavilions shopping centre are having a special night tonight and my favourite lingerie shop had 50% off everything.

Thankfully my OH was not with me :D

I don't know if this is being done by management, or if it's the security woman's own initiative but I was in a bar a couple of times, and one of the security/management people was going around asking people on their own, or who were looking upset, or who were a bit too drunk if they were ok.

It wasn't a judgmental type thing at all. If you were pissed I don't think she'd have demanded you leave, it's more of a welfare check-up type thing. I was sitting on my own a week or so ago and she checked up on me, and I pointed to a notepad and told her I was writing and just needed a place that served booze late at night, even if it was loud. And again last night, I was by a window, just staring out watching the world go by and relaxing and she came up to me. She asked how I was before she recognised me but when I smiled she gave me a thumbs up and "welcome back."

Like I said, I don't know if she's part of management, or just security who decided to be nice to people and make sure everyone is ok, but it really makes you feel like the staff there care about their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone see them new hairbrushes that straighten you hair at the same time

• Advertisement
Advertisement