Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So I've been in pain ever since my tooth been taken out Saturday.

It appears that the dissolvable stitch the dentist put in, didn't dissolve, so I took my cuticle nippers to it this evening and pulled it out.

Immediate reduction in pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Stheno wrote: »
    So I've been in pain ever since my tooth been taken out Saturday.

It appears that the dissolvable stitch the dentist put in, didn't dissolve, so I took my cuticle nippers to it this evening and pulled it out.

Immediate reduction in pain

Don't suppose you fancy taking out my stitches?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Spent Wednesday night/Thursday morning in hospital. Had a lot of weird feelings in my left arm, and apparently wasn't talking properly, so ended up being told to go to A&E. Was seen by a doctor, who said that the weakness in my arm was more related to muscle damage in my arm, but he got me reviewed by a consultant anyway. She went at the back of my neck, and found a very painful spot, so once they had a chat they decided the best thing to do would be to send me for a scan of my head and neck, which also required me to be put in a collar and blocks, so that my head was immobilised. 2 and half hours of lying on my back later, having had the scan it came back all clear. First while was fine, but by the end I was getting fairly agitated!! Got out of the place at 3am, so didn't go to work. Can't really remember what the doctor said when I was leaving, was up for 22 hours at this stage, but I think the gist of it was that it would take time to heal and to keep taking pain relief as needed.

In work today after taking yesterday off - otherwise would have to get a doctors note as they count the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Spent Wednesday night/Thursday morning in hospital. Had a lot of weird feelings in my left arm, and apparently wasn't talking properly, so ended up being told to go to A&E. Was seen by a doctor, who said that the weakness in my arm was more related to muscle damage in my arm, but he got me reviewed by a consultant anyway. She went at the back of my neck, and found a very painful spot, so once they had a chat they decided the best thing to do would be to send me for a scan of my head and neck, which also required me to be put in a collar and blocks, so that my head was immobilised. 2 and half hours of lying on my back later, having had the scan it came back all clear. First while was fine, but by the end I was getting fairly agitated!! Got out of the place at 3am, so didn't go to work. Can't really remember what the doctor said when I was leaving, was up for 22 hours at this stage, but I think the gist of it was that it would take time to heal and to keep taking pain relief as needed.

In work today after taking yesterday off - otherwise would have to get a doctors note as they count the weekend

Wow, that sounds miserable! I hope you are feeling better soon. Do you have free time to relax over the weekend?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

LenaClaire wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds miserable! I hope you are feeling better soon. Do you have free time to relax over the weekend?

Apparently I can take five days off without a note!!! Found out when I went in today - can't believe it, would probably have not gone in today otherwise!

Going to a rugby game tomorrow and have a pile of marking to do, thinking pizza and start the marking. Deadlines all next week, so must have the books and papers all marked and looking good for next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Got a new laptop today, it's less than 2kg in weight, such a difference from my existing ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I feel physically sick about the events in Paris tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'm in utter disbelief. I'm looking at France 24 but it doesn't seem real.

Dolbert wrote: »
    I feel physically sick about the events in Paris tonight

One of the lads in work is there. He checked in as safe on Facebook but says it was a very scary few hours.

Can't begin to imagine how Parisians feel. I'm due to go there in 3 weeks too.

sullivlo wrote: »
    One of the lads in work is there. He checked in as safe on Facebook but says it was a very scary few hours.

Can't begin to imagine how Parisians feel. I'm due to go there in 3 weeks too.

Thank god he's safe, glad to hear.

HOpefully you'll be fine there in a few weeks, shocking what's happened tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was supposed to be going in a week's time for the Stade Français - Munster match. In absolute shock here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Was supposed to be going in a week's time for the Stade Français - Munster match. In absolute shock here.

I'm not sure if will go ahead, with the state of emergency all public events in Paris are cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

What awful news to wake up to. Some very good friends of mine knew the woman killed in Donegal road crash yesterday and we were all in a small but active facebook group together. And Paris. I'm on my own in Finland and feeling very alone right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

fits wrote:
    What awful news to wake up to. Some very good friends of mine knew the woman killed in Donegal road crash yesterday and we were all in a small but active facebook group together. And Paris. I'm on my own in Finland and feeling very alone right now.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

fits wrote: »
    I'm on my own in Finland and feeling very alone right now.

I'm on a work trip to Cork and felt very lonely last night as well. Meeting my mom soon though. Can you Skype loved ones today?

One of my work colleagues got a surprise Thursday night from her partner for her birthday - a surprise trip to Paris for the weekend. They had checked into their hotel in the same district, decided they were too tired to go out for food so just stayed in the hotel - both are pretty shaken, but managed to get out of there yesterday afternoon.

I'm glad they got out safe.
    The whole thing is insane and awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Went to karaoke with work Friday night and we came up from underground to hear about Paris. It's terrifying.

Was supposed to be going on a school trip there the week before Christmas. I know it sounds awful but I feel so thankful it happened now and not when I was there with 40 kids.

Anyone got decent movie recommendation - need something easy to watch while I'm marking, as I need noise and a little distraction

• Advertisement

Ivy it's vit b time! :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »

I never stopped taking it. I hope I don't regret that now and that I haven't lost the benefits!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I know! I almost got the cracked corners there a few weeks ago but I slathered my lips in balm!

We're booked to go to Paris for New Year, not entirely sure what to do but currently leaning towards going ahead with it.

We're booked to go to Paris for New Year, not entirely sure what to do but currently leaning towards going ahead with it.

I'm booked to go in December & unless the department of foreign affairs says not to, I'm going. It's all well & good to put a French flag on your Facebook profiler, but actually going to France probably helps show solidarity more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Completely agree, unless its been advised not to, I'd see no reason for it to ruin your plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I made a song. It is awful. But it is a song I made.

I downloaded a trial of some music software on Friday. I spent the weekend playing with virtual synthesizers and programming notes. It was a load of fun and I didn't even think of leaving the house for the whole three days.

We're keeping a close eye on things, but it's quite likely that we'll be lining up for the Eurostar at St Pancras on Saturday morning as planned.

I do draw the line at wishing for a Stade Francais victory though :pac:

We're keeping a close eye on things, but it's quite likely that we'll be lining up for the Eurostar at St Pancras on Saturday morning as planned.

I do draw the line at wishing for a Stade Francais victory though :pac:

I have a Stade jersey. Will have to dig it out.

Got last minute tickets to the v v v nb soccerball game tonight. I don't like soccer but I rarely pass up a chance to jump aboard a nice shiny bandwagon.

Got last minute tickets to the v v v nb soccerball game tonight. I don't like soccer but I rarely pass up a chance to jump aboard a nice shiny bandwagon.

Enjoy. Hopefully nobody near ya was a boo-er during the silence. So disrespectful.

• Advertisement

GOAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Enjoy. Hopefully nobody near ya was a boo-er during the silence. So disrespectful.

People booed? What?

People booed? What?

I think there was a loadof people chanting and others booed them not sure though

People booed? What?

There's videos on Twitter of the Bosnian fan section (north stand) booing and chanting during the minutes silence.

How was your trip to Calais?

There's videos on Twitter of the Bosnian fan section (north stand) booing and chanting during the minutes silence.

How was your trip to Calais?

Aren't the Bosnian fans known for not been very nice?

Aren't the Bosnian fans known for not been very nice?

Yeah... I've heard that alright. Some dodgy stories from Bosnia last week & they led a fierce march to the aviva earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Got back from volunteering at a refugee camp on Sunday. Already booked to go back for three weeks from next week. Now to find the guts to tell work/family/friends.

Also had serious chats with boyfriend about our relationship yesterday. We're not breaking up, but we've both acknowledged that something has to change. It's just gotten...boring. In a rut, I guess. I thought it was just me, but he feels the same way. I'm glad we've started talking about it, but I'm still confused and not even sure I want to be in a relationship right now. We've been together for two years - do we just keep going and get married and have babies and mortgages, etc? Two months ago I'd have said that was what I wanted. Hell, even one month ago! Now the idea of that terrifies me. I feel too young for that kind of commitment.

I'm drained after all of the above...plus I have a hideous cold. Probably a man-flu standard one. :o

PS. Sullivlo - it was really inspiring. The conditions in the camp are horrific, but the residents living there are just some of the nicest, most inspirational people I have ever met. It was long days of work, but so bloody worth it. I didn't want to leave.

We were in the North Stand next to the Bosnian section but far enough away from them for comfort. They were super riled up for the game alright but apart from the minute's silence antics we didn't see anything untoward really.

The gardaí/security guards were all over them the whole match and they were fairly subdued leaving the stadium.

Omg the weeather!!!!

There's something really nice about being tucked up in bed with the wind howling outside. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

That weather was horrific.

Perks of being the only girl though: wasn't allowed to leave until one of the guys dropped me to the bus stop. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's gonna be a looooong day in work today. Didn't get to bed til after 5 - we had a 4 legged little friend in our BEDROOM last night!! In from the wind and the rain no doubt. Myself and the husband were having palpitations in the bed (and not in a romantic way!) everytime we heard a rustle. Husband spied him across the room, I was swiftly evicted from the bedroom and he managed to find him eventually, trap him and release him outside. Tiny baby little mouse he was (so he tells me, I didn't want to see it!). We ended up bunking down in the spare room for what was left of the night.

I've been working on music for the past few days. I'm a beginner, so I know I'm going to be bad, but I didn't realise how bad.

I spent the night making a song. I really liked it. I was into it. It sounded good. I went out to make a coffee, came back and played it again. It sounded completely different.

All the bits were there. Nothing had changed in the software. I hadn't altered it in any way, but it sounded alien to me. Like I had created my own version of it in my head and was just now hearing the real version for the first time. I can't overstate how bad it is. I have no idea what I was hearing all night long, that I thought sounded good.

I have genuinely lost faith in my ability to perceive things. I don't want to leave the house in case I walk into a bus, or this is the first symptoms of a nervous break down. Have I just typed a scramble of letters in this post? Am I really wearing clothes? I'm not sure I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Lyaiera wrote:
    I have genuinely lost faith in my ability to perceive things. I don't want to leave the house in case I walk into a bus, or this is the first symptoms of a nervous break down. Have I just typed a scramble of letters in this post? Am I really wearing clothes? I'm not sure I can tell.

Maybe you should have a word with your GP about how you're feeling? Even if just so the doc can say you're fine (which I'm sure is the case!) :)

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Maybe you should have a word with your GP about how you're feeling? Even if just so the doc can say you're fine (which I'm sure is the case!) :)

I'm fine. Really. But thanks. :)

I didn't have much sleep over the weekend (I was too busy having fun with music,) woke up at 2am after going to bed at 10pm, and I got really into what I was doing. I know it's common to go a bit blind, or deaf with this type of thing. Where you can't judge your own work as you're doing it. I think I was just a bit shocked at how much of a difference there was once I heard it with fresh ears.

I was talking to a few musicians, and it's just like writing. You need to leave something down for a while to be able to judge it. Or you need to change the setting, so doing something like listening to it in the car.

Still, it was a weird experience, getting so caught up in it. I had a bit of a lie down and I started thinking about getting back on the metaphorical horse, so it hasn't discouraged me.

So we decided to switch around our plans for this weekend after the Munster match was cancelled - Eurostar are letting us take a trip (Paris, Brussels or Disneyland) any time in the next 180 days instead, we also got our free night back from hotels.com so we're not out anything at all except the match tickets.

We're now going to Bath on Saturday instead for the Leinster match - a decent result overall, even though if I worry a LOT about the match given how shíte we were against Wasps last week...

Will they not refund your match tickets too?

It could be a very long day on Saturday if Leinster are even half as bad as last week. Bath is a gorgeous place though!

They will probably be valid for a rescheduled game - but whether I'll be able to travel for it or not is a whole other matter!

No harm in asking about a refund.

I'm getting really frustrated with my sling now. I feel so useless and helpless. Stupid arm. Back to the consultant tonight to get my stitches out.

@s&s - glad it was a good experience. I don't think I'd have the resilience to go. And good that you chatted to the boy. Hope it all works out :)

• Advertisement

My father had a bit of drama. Someone threatened him and said he was going to kill him, to get his friends to attack him at his home, and that kind of thing.

My father went to the police about it, he knows there's not much they can do but he wanted to get it on record in case anything happened. And he was feeling threatened and shook. The Guards told him not to be in the house on his own at night, which is a problem as my mother is away for work. My brother stayed with him for a few nights, and I was down here last night and I'll be here the next few days. He's trying not to show it but I think he's a bit worried, he keeps the chain on the front door and he was going through plans with me in case someone shows up (run and ring the police.) He's also running out to the front door at any noise.

With all that being said though I decided I'd learn the piano, and hopefully write songs. I'm planning on getting a keyboard once I have enough saved up. My mother's childhood piano is here after my grandmother passed away. She was forced to learn as a child but has no interest in it. Taking the opportunity, seeing as I'm at home I sat at it and played a few scales and tried to get my fingering correct, counting out notes and beats. My father said it's the most it's been played in thirty years, even if it is horribly out of tune.

Me and my father don't have the best relationship. We didn't talk after a big fight last Christmas, and when I got really sick (near death) in February he didn't visit or phone when I was in hospital for a week. I was in a bad way over the summer and my mother forced me to come home to recover, and ever since then he's really been making an effort with me, and me with him. With my mother away it's just the two of us, and presuming no arguments start up it's great that he asked me to come be with him while he's worried.

Advertisement