Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My boyfriend and I broke up. Just over a week ago now. It was mutual and we've decided to be friends. Can't imagine nothe being in each others' lives. Getting fed up of people telling me that being friends never works.

Heartbroken, but I think it's the right decision. Feeling really anxious these last few days, though. Feel gross and fat and ugly. Panic attack on Stephens Night stopped me leaving the house. Just about managed to leave earlier.

Sorry missed this, hope you are you ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Sorry to hear that s&s, hope you're ok x

Off to Paris today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was supposed to be heading back to London this evening but our flight from Shannon is cancelled. Flying tomorrow lunchtime instead so not terrible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Happy New year everyone, have a safe night and best wishes for 2016 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

First post of 2016!

Hope ye all have a smasher. Looking forward to welcoming baby kirby and baby Ivy to TLL too (& other babies that are mere twinkles in the eyes!)

Happy New Years to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My father is busy in the kitchen eating trifle and watching Shaun the Sheep.

Happy New Year everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Happy New Year everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

FML!!
    First day back in work and I fell down the stairs at lunchtime! Mind you it was about 4 or 5 steps but still! My left hip and knee are sore now, I'm guessing the bruising is gonna be good. My handbag which I treated myself to from Brown Thomas when they had 20% off for Black Friday has a mark on the front of it now :( I just want to go home, curl up under the duvet in my fluffy pjs and cry...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Flying out to London this morning :)

Forgot my pjs though

Get some nice new ones while you're here :)

• Advertisement

How the feck is it Wednesday already?! I have so much on my desk in work and my boss is getting fierce worked up about this one thing that isn't gonna be important for about another month.

Also I have that kinda barking cough that leaves you totally out of breath after a bit of a walk from the bathroom back to your desk. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

How the feck is it Wednesday already?! I have so much on my desk in work and my boss is getting fierce worked up about this one thing that isn't gonna be important for about another month.

Also I have that kinda barking cough that leaves you totally out of breath after a bit of a walk from the bathroom back to your desk. Great.

See if you can get your hands on this tonic stuff called Winter Wellness Propolis. Absolutely brilliant. Helped me shake off the nasty cold/bronchitis combo I took home from Calais.

I'm also being kept surprisingly busy this week. Projects and study commitments on the go. I'm spending days in an office sitting at a desk and everything - you'd think I wasn't currently unemployed. :pac: Feeling good, though. I'm on day 3 of the Sirtfood Diet everyone will be on about before long. It's actually a really interesting book with actual scientific evidence. :P

I'm deep into my thesis/dissertation, and actually starting to enjoy using the knowledge I've built up to develop what I hope is a thesis worthy of a good grade.

My OH a day or so ago on the phone to one of his friends said that I'd a thesis due in a few weeks. Said friend had hysterics, as apparently his mother did a masters and got so uppity during her thesis writing that she and her husband temporarily split.

Oh foolishly decided to impart this information by commenting this evening that so far it's been a very calm thesis experience for him.

I have been blatantly exploiting this since then heeehee heeee

I'm not quite sure what caused the chaos for me, I'm just munching through it chapter by chapter, I know where I want to be by Sunday, and so far it looks like I'll get there :)

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm deep into my thesis/dissertation, and actually starting to enjoy using the knowledge I've built up to develop what I hope is a thesis worthy of a good grade.

My OH a day or so ago on the phone to one of his friends said that I'd a thesis due in a few weeks. Said friend had hysterics, as apparently his mother did a masters and got so uppity during her thesis writing that she and her husband temporarily split.

Oh foolishly decided to impart this information by commenting this evening that so far it's been a very calm thesis experience for him.

I have been blatantly exploiting this since then heeehee heeee

I'm not quite sure what caused the chaos for me, I'm just munching through it chapter by chapter, I know where I want to be by Sunday, and so far it looks like I'll get there :)
    Ah sure that's just one couple's experience of it.
    My partner really helped me through my phd thesis writing experience, he helped me keep my sanity!
    It really sounds like you have your head screwed on about it.

Had my 30th birthday over Christmas and a wee party over the weekend, first birthday party for me in literally 20 years!

Got a very generous voucher, which I'm thinking of putting towards a GHD. Is GHD still the best straightener? I've never owned one but I used to love my sister's one.

I've had my GHD years. Kinda wish it would break so that I could buy one of the new fancy ones. They do the exact same job, they're just pretty colours.

I reckon that they are the best out there, but perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could comment. FWIW, I love mine. It hasn't seen the light of day in weeks, but it's still there ready to tame my mane whenever called upon.

Yeah the one I'm looking at has fancy gold plates. I think it'd be a great way to spend the voucher as I'd never buy it for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I know one of my friends was waxing lyrical about her GHD the other day, saying she's had it for years whereas her mam has had six different cheaper straighteners in the same period of time and they've all broken.

I've had mine at least 8 years. Maybe even more. Very durable. And very hot - as my ears can attest to!

• Advertisement

Yeah they do seem really durable, my sister has had hers about 6 years I'd say. I had a wee Vidal Sassoon one that was grand but the GHD was miles and miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I've had my GHDs 4 years and they're still as good as the day I got them (even despite being dropped a few times!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I have mine 7 years too still going strong!

If I'm still here Saturday week, it will be a miracle.

Here as in on boards.

If I'm still here Saturday week, it will be a miracle.

Here as in on boards.

Thesis stress? Maybe get someone to change your password until you're ready to come back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I've had my GHD 12 years! I win!! I use it every single day. I think the old one is far batter than the newer ones. I used the one with the wider plates in my friends house...its deadly! I'd love to get it but I can't justify it when my own one works perfectly

• Advertisement

Well I just ordered my new GHD! absolutely delighted, I've wanted one for YEARS but would never spend that much money.

I hope everything's going ok Stheno!

Yeah I don't know how long I've had mine, probably about 10 years. I don't straighten my hair as much as I used to but they are great. I remember when I bought them sweating about how pricey they were but I've definitely got my monies worth from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

The amount of racism and xenophobia going on
    in the world towards refugees makes me want to vomit.

I ordered and received something just before Christmas. However the same thing was delivered to me again today! I haven't been charged extra for it. What would you do? Do you tell them and send it back to them or hold onto it and say nothing?

sullivlo wrote: »
    Thesis stress? Maybe get someone to change your password until you're ready to come back?

Yeah I've reached the point where I'm ready to finish writing,but cannot get the words from my brain to my laptop.

It's not boards I'm hating, it's' my brain/MS Word!

The laptop might not survive!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I hope that the thesis starts going better Stheno!

Ladies, can I ask a stupid Q? If you were on a beach or at a pool somewhere, would you think a young woman would look ridiculous if she was wearing a full swimming costume as opposed to a bikini? I'm going away twice this summer and figure that I need to have something to swim in but I have this horrible tummy that makes me look 3 months pregnancy at all times so the idea of wearing a bikini just doesn't work for me. Whenever I look at swimming costumes though I feel like I'd look silly. The second holiday is with some glamorous family who always look good too so I don't want to feel like they'll all be judging me.

Yea.. I said it'd be a stupid Q!

I hope that the thesis starts going better Stheno!

Ladies, can I ask a stupid Q? If you were on a beach or at a pool somewhere, would you think a young girl would look ridiculous if she was wearing a full swimming costume as opposed to a bikini? I'm going away twice this summer and figure that I need to have something to swim in but I have this horrible tummy that makes me look 3 months pregnancy at all times so the idea of wearing a bikini just doesn't work for me. Whenever I look at swimming costumes though I feel like I'd look silly. The second holiday is with some glamorous family who always look good too so I don't want to feel like they'll all be judging me.

Yea.. I said it'd be a stupid Q!

You can get shapewear type swimsuits even in the like of pennys which are quite stylish and look great, wouldn't look silly at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I wear a one piece swimming togs all the time, I prefer it on the beach in Ireland in the summer, and I've gone on holidays with a one piece and a bikini for different days. I'm in my mid twenties and never thought twice about it.

You'll look better in a one piece that you're comfortable in than a bikini that you're pulling at to sit right anyway I reckon, no matter what your figure's like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Not at all MCR, one-pieces are quite fashionable again if anything.

I only ever use one piece swim suits, or at a push, tankinis that come almost down to the top of the bottoms. I always end up with a weird stripe of tan across my back though!!

Yeah I've reached the point where I'm ready to finish writing,but cannot get the words from my brain to my laptop.

It's not boards I'm hating, it's' my brain/MS Word!

The laptop might not survive!
    I killed a laptop during my write up. So I feel your pain!! Hope the run in is stress free.

I always wear a one-piece if I'm going to be doing any proper swimming - bikinis that fit me and look good generally aren't the most comfortable to swim in.

If you're not confident about your tummy - high-waisted retro styles in bikinis can be very flattering.

I see lots of people in one-piece swimming togs over here in France.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

My swimwear rule is: If I'm going to be in the company of just my partner and kid, bikini is grand. Around anyone else I wear the shape-wear one-piece I got in Dunnes.

The one-pieces are totally in. Asos had a fab selection last summer, I'd imagine they still do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My swimsuit has a little skirt on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm no Victoria Secret model but on my last two holidays I wore bikinis and just hoped for the best. I have a wobbly tummy and I was a bit self conscious initially but the desire for an even tan won out! Tbh it was one of the best things I ever did - I wore a bikini and the world didn't stop turning :)

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm no Victoria Secret model but on my last two holidays I wore bikinis and just hoped for the best. I have a wobbly tummy and I was a bit self conscious initially but the desire for an even tan won out! Tbh it was one of the best things I ever did - I wore a bikini and the world didn't stop turning :)
    Same. I'm wobbly in the tummy area and the thighs. I would wear a bikini abroad cos at the end of the day, nobody knows me there, I'm there with my husband and child so I'm certainly not out to impress anyone. On the other hand, there's little point in me getting a tan on my tummy cos it won't be displayed anywhere else and himself doesn't pass any remarks! I do think though a bikini top allows for better tanning of the top half.

I may have to rethink this "healthy eating & exercise" thing that I've got going on.

After spinning, I just threw my tracksuit bottoms on over my cycling shorts. I ended up running for the bus.

Anyway, in the middle of college green and BOOM. Off slide the trousers. Had to keep running & try and pull them up (from around my ankles) & not fall arse over head... Thankfully I still had my shorts on so I didn't expose myself too badly.

But if anyone was around college green and saw me - apologies for the indecent exposure :pac:

I may have to rethink this "healthy eating & exercise" thing that I've got going on.

After spinning, I just threw my tracksuit bottoms on over my cycling shorts. I ended up running for the bus.

Anyway, in the middle of college green and BOOM. Off slide the trousers. Had to keep running & try and pull them up (from around my ankles) & not fall arse over head... Thankfully I still had my shorts on so I didn't expose myself too badly.

But if anyone was around college green and saw me - apologies for the indecent exposure :pac:

I'm sorry but I lolled :D

Not as bad as the time my holdups slide down my leg while I was giving a presentation to about 30 blokes!

I'm sorry but I lolled :D

Not as bad as the time my holdups slide down my leg while I was giving a presentation to about 30 blokes!

Ah to be fair I kinda lolled too when it happened.

The same thing happened to me on the dance floor at my bosses wedding - holdup just slid off. Whoops. Why do we bother?!

Ah to be fair I kinda lolled too when it happened.

The same thing happened to me on the dance floor at my bosses wedding - holdup just slid off. Whoops. Why do we bother?!

I managed to arrest the slide by standing with my knees together and giving the entire presentation looking like I was dying to go to the loo and holding it in!

I ended up switching to my emergency tights straight off the bat on my wedding day after I realised that my holdups were sliding down when I was walking to the bathroom in my hotel room... :eek:

AAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word just crashed and murdered my last 2000 words from this evening!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

AAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word just crashed and murdered my last 2000 words from this evening!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Which version of word? The newer ones can catch unsaved docs.

Advertisement