Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Which version of word? The newer ones can catch unsaved docs.

2016 :(

I recovered it thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

If I'm working on anything NB I set up autosave for every two minutes. Probably excessive but I've never lost any work!

Also holdups can go and sh!te. Hate them. Tried wearing them to work as I was sick of tights digging into my belly but the holdups were a fresh new hell altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Alan Rickman died. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Seriously, **** cancer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This is proving to be a bad week for legendary British men :(

• Advertisement

All the sad. As himself said, "cancer is out of order at this stage"

Bye Snape :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

As a baddy I preferred Rickman in Die hard or even Robin Hood.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've just had the most amazing thing happen in thesis land.

My thesis is essentially about what I do and the emergence of new methodologies and how they fit.

There's not a lot of people who do what I do in Ireland so I've a big linkedin network to whom I talk regularly. A few advised that I should contact essentially the founder/thoughtleader in terms of what I was doing, and OMG he just replied and wanted to participate, and not only that, but to read my output!

It's given me a real reality check, this is my opportunity to leverage the people I know in my industry to produce a really good thesis with real value.

There probably aren't a lot of masters students with access to the sort of experts I have access to

Feeling lucky and motivated :) That brain drain I've had for the past few weeks appears to have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Guys...what. This is so disturbing. My brain cannot process the level of weirdness going on here. I'm sitting here, nervous giggling like an idiot, cause I'm not sure how to respond.

Guys...what. This is so disturbing. My brain cannot process the level of weirdness going on here. I'm sitting here, nervous giggling like an idiot, cause I'm not sure how to respond.

That's seriously freaky, what age is the youngest? She looks about six or seven:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Apologies for the random post, but I used to frequent these parts a while back and I wandered back over. Felt a bit nostalgic.

Hope everyone is well. Never thought I'd say this but I'm moving to England in the morning, I got a job! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Apologies for the random post, but I used to frequent these parts a while back and I wandered back over. Felt a bit nostalgic.

Hope everyone is well. Never thought I'd say this but I'm moving to England in the morning, I got a job! :D

Fantastic, hope it all goes well for you :)

Best of luck with the move! Where in England are you moving to?

That's fantastic news! I'd say you're delighted to be getting a place of your own!

Best of luck!

pew wrote:
    Fantastic, hope it all goes well for you
    Best of luck with the move! Where in England are you moving to?
    That's fantastic news! I'd say you're delighted to be getting a place of your own!
    Stheno wrote:
    Best of luck!
    Thanks ladies. Really looking forward to it now, standing on my own two feet will be great. I'm heading to Northampton :)

Best of luck PP! That's fantastic. Hope all goes really well x

Best of luck PP! That's fantastic. Hope all goes really well x
    Thank you! :) x

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ladies, I'm sure there is a forum here somewhere that might be better to ask this..so if anyone has any tips for that please let me know :D

I want to get a wooden sign made up with my own quote on it - a treat to myself for overcoming all my health issues of the last few years. So I want to hang it on my bedroom wall.
    I've looked on Etsy and there are loads of options but so many options make it hard to choose and they all come from the states.
    https://www.etsy.com/ie/search?q=custom%20wooden%20signs&ref=auto2

Anyone know of any Irish company/artist/small business that could do something like this for me? Or somewhere else on boards that might be good to ask? :)

Just spotted replies to this. Fantastic news, delighted for you. Always thought from reading your posts you could really do with getting away so this gives me all the happys. Hope everything goes fantastic for you.

• Advertisement

Ladies, I'm sure there is a forum here somewhere that might be better to ask this..so if anyone has any tips for that please let me know :D

I want to get a wooden sign made up with my own quote on it - a treat to myself for overcoming all my health issues of the last few years. So I want to hang it on my bedroom wall.
    I've looked on Etsy and there are loads of options but so many options make it hard to choose and they all come from the states.

Anyone know of any Irish company/artist/small business that could do something like this for me? Or somewhere else on boards that might be good to ask? :)
    I know someone who does something like this, I can pm you her website if you like (based in Ireland)

I know someone who does something like this, I can pm you her website if you like (based in Ireland)

That would be brilliant Ivy. Thanks. :)

@PP - UK forum will be quite useful as you move :)

Midlands should be grand - Northampton is a big enough town (with a decent rugby team!) and you're not far from Birmingham to fly home if you're wanting to visit a lot early on. Won't be as painful to rent there as it would be in the south-east either.

Just spotted replies to this. Fantastic news, delighted for you. Always thought from reading your posts you could really do with getting away so this gives me all the happys. Hope everything goes fantastic for you.
    Thanks RQ. I just said I would update you all because some of you were lovely to me when my ex and I broke up and all that. Better off now, I would never have done this if I was with him. :)
    @PP -

UK Forum

will be quite useful as you move

Midlands should be grand - Northampton is a big enough town (with a decent rugby team!) and you're not far from Birmingham to fly home if you're wanting to visit a lot early on. Won't be as painful to rent there as it would be in the south-east either.
    Oh thank you! I could do with all the help I can get! :p I was over for a trial/visit just before Christmas and I did like it there. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It's British, not Irish, but you could try Not On The High Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

It's something I should have noticed over the past two years maybe, but now that I'm really into my course and wanting to stay up all night drinking and writing essays, and still go to college the next day it's become really apparent. I'm too old to be doing all nighters anymore.

I guess it started happening around the time I was 29 or so. 30 definitely stopped me. If I was a successful artist I'm sure I'd be being speed by the kilo, but seeing as I'm an everyday person I'm going to have to stick with going to bed at 2am and being late for school instead.

Woohoo, we're back! I bet productivity in Irish offices trebled this morning

And some non-Irish ones :pac:

Hi ladies!! Cmere, the longer brighter days are making my LIFE. I'm so glad winter is on the way out. Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I've been obsessively refreshing boards to see if it would come back for me, and have only managed to log on today. Yesterday I could access it, but only certain things, and couldn't get to the login page.
    It's probably been good for my workrate, but GOD, I couldn't cope with it at all. I'm so glad we're back!

So I managed to forge a career in IT without any qualifications (leaving cert aside)

Then I got to a level where not having a degree is very unusual. So I embarked on a masters.

I'm now writing my thesis, and there is commercial interest in what I am going according to my colleagues

Seriously freaky.

12 days to go and I have the most awful writers block.

I know what I want to say in each chapter, I've completed my research and have over 140 items in my bibliography, my survey is done, and I sit at my computer, and it's like my brain freezes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Wordpress is doing my head in at the moment, since I changed over my blog to a new domain it keeps freaking out any time I try to edit old posts. Gah!

On the plus side though, the toddler is in good form this morning. Yay for less tantrums!

Am just exhausted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Stheno wrote: »
    Am just exhausted :(

Final stretch now. Keep the faith.

• Advertisement

You can do it Stheno!

Last push, you're nearly there! Thesis writing sucks large hairy testicles but the relief when it's done is unreal.

Go, Stheno, go! :)

On the way to Donegal here, fook this weather anyways.

But happy Friday ladies!!

On the way to Donegal here, fook this weather anyways.

But happy Friday ladies!!

I have to make a big decision. I'm training for a cycle so need to get the KM's in over the weekend - 40 of them in one go. That doesn't worry me though, I enjoy it.

However tomorrow is cold with gale force winds, and Sunday is torrential rain. I need to choose whether to be blown out of it, or risk swimming.

• Advertisement

If you have good wet gear, then I'd cycle in the rain if it's less windy that day. Was nearly blown into the side of a van cycling home from work in a gale before.

If you have good wet gear, then I'd cycle in the rain if it's less windy that day. Was nearly blown into the side of a van cycling home from work in a gale before.

Have a decent jacket that keeps the rain out, & overshoes that kinda help. If I remember to close them properly. Got new bib tights too that have a soft shell layer on the front that claims water resistance!!

Will poke my head out of the bed in the morning and if it's awful, I'll either go out alone in the afternoon, or go in the rain on Sunday. Have a few miles in legs this week - commuted twice and then did an a spin class. Enjoyed it. Not at the time though - sprint intervals and high rpm climbing. My thighs did not thank me.

Thanks to you all, this weekend is the big final push :)

I have to do a reflection of the experience, and did that tonight to escape doing other stuff :D

It was actually quite humbling as due to the dissertation I got to interact with leaders in my industry and I was very taken aback at how freely they gave of their time and expertise to participate. I feel incredibly privileged to have had that opportunity and engage with those people, some of whom were incredibly generous with their time and provided a huge amount of information and help.

I have just had the worst fcuking day. Pass the wine and/or chocolate :(

Dolbert wrote: »

hugs and choc for you!

You can have my enormous bar of Turkish :)

Aw Dolbert. :(
    Hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Virtual wine and chocolate for you, wish I could internet the real stuff...

Hope something comes along to cheer you up.

chocolate_and_wine_crop380w.jpg?1256866568

Submission day is Wednesday (woohoo) and I've gotten over the worst of it.

Tonight I went for dinner with the OH and am watching a movie.

In a weird way I feel bad for doing it, but having a night off makes such a difference

That said I'm getting my hair coloured early in the morning and will be bringing one of my books with me to "work" while I'm waiting for the colour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My online dating adventures make me realise I'm looking for someone with a comfortable couch, an internet enabled radio and who isn't adverse to sleep-drool.

If they have a fireplace and sleepy dog I'm marrying them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement