Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Stheno wrote: »
    The team comps are mental
    Do we ave a proper track here?

We have had no power the past two hours :(

You're not alone. Many friends from your direction are also powerless!

I think we have an outdoor track. Sundrive I think it's called. I'm open to correction though.

Miss my bike. I know I was only on her yesterday but wanted to go on her today and tomorrow but fell off her yesterday and I'm too sore today and don't want to risk it tomorrow because my knee is super sore today & I don't want to do more damage before the big one. I know the big one is a few weeks off but an injury now would really set me back in training.

Actually doing a static cycle in the Pavilions on Sunday to raise funds for the cycle / raise awareness for the charity. If anyone's around come watch me sweat!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sullivlo wrote: »

Actually doing a static cycle in the Pavilions on Sunday to raise funds for the cycle / raise awareness for the charity. If anyone's around come watch me sweat!!

What time Sunday? Will pop along if we can :)

Exam board is Friday. Haven't been called for a viva which must be a positive sign that I haven't outright failed :)

What time Sunday? Will pop along if we can :)

Exam board is Friday. Haven't been called for a viva which must be a positive sign that I haven't outright failed :)

I need to ring and confirm but I guess 12-6? It's kinda just crept up on me.

That's brill about the exam board!

We had 5 TY students in on work placement today. It is tempting to just get them to watch what you do, or do the jobs in the lab that nobody wants (filling tip boxes). But I like to let them do their own little experiments so that they actually get a feel for science. It is a LOT of effort - I spent all day yesterday prepping samples / running experiments to make sure they worked / planning a story to give them to catch their attention. So that meant not getting any of my own stuff done yesterday or today (or tomorrow!) so it will be a weekend of work. Tiring.

But so, so worth it to see the look on their faces when they see real life science work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I need to ring and confirm but I guess 12-6? It's kinda just crept up on me.

That's brill about the exam board!

We had 5 TY students in on work placement today. It is tempting to just get them to watch what you do, or do the jobs in the lab that nobody wants (filling tip boxes). But I like to let them do their own little experiments so that they actually get a feel for science. It is a LOT of effort - I spent all day yesterday prepping samples / running experiments to make sure they worked / planning a story to give them to catch their attention. So that meant not getting any of my own stuff done yesterday or today (or tomorrow!) so it will be a weekend of work. Tiring.

But so, so worth it to see the look on their faces when they see real life science work!

You are so good! So many people just let their work experience students do monkey work. We always tried to give them something interesting to do. Some of the older ones ended up coming back to do PhDs in the lab, or at least got named as authors on journal articles.

You are so good! So many people just let their work experience students do monkey work. We always tried to give them something interesting to do. Some of the older ones ended up coming back to do PhDs in the lab, or at least got named as authors on journal articles.

It depends on the level that they're at as to how much effort we put in with them. And the responsibility we give them.

Transition years are usually easy enough to entertain. I mean they were delighted pipetting milk today and looking at pretty colours (Bradford assay turns blue with protein).

We also get "summer interns" who take maybe 6 weeks over the summer break in the lab to learn new techniques and set themselves apart from others for job applications. These are usually the driven 1.1 students so can be trusted with a bit more. Again, they have a few years of a degree behind them so they can do a bit more. They MIGHT get their own project if they're not numpties. Similarly, they may get on a paper if the work is useful. But that's rare.

We then have 4th year students and masters students doing their projects. These get lots of responsibility. And these projects may lead to a PhD. The always have their own project. Usually an aside from someone else's PhD that they haven't had a chance to look into, so the student does the scouting to see if it would work / be relevant.

And, of course, the PhD students. Who are, at all times, a combination of all of the above :)

I enjoy nearly all types of students in the lab.

I enjoy teaching them. Today one of my colleagues commented how good I was at explaining things to the students and teaching them and keeping their attention. Perhaps I should actually consider that whole teaching thing as a career :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I enjoy nearly all types of students in the lab.

I enjoy teaching them. Today one of my colleagues commented how good I was at explaining things to the students and teaching them and keeping their attention. Perhaps I should actually consider that whole teaching thing as a career :pac:

Key criteria for any kind of training/teaching imo (especially with adults of any age) are what you describe above.

One of the things I most enjoy about my job, is getting people to move on from the static theory they know, to applying it practically and seeing how much of a difference it makes to them.

It's hard work, it's tiring, but it's a real thrill for me to see it happening, and it's fun to see them move from wondering how the theory work, to seeing the benefits it brings.

Key criteria for any kind of training/teaching imo (especially with adults of any age) are what you describe above.

One of the things I most enjoy about my job, is getting people to move on from the static theory they know, to applying it practically and seeing how much of a difference it makes to them.

It's hard work, it's tiring, but it's a real thrill for me to see it happening, and it's fun to see them move from wondering how the theory work, to seeing the benefits it brings.

I have some basic teaching experience. I spent two summers teaching English on a summer camp in Spain. A TEFL type thing but they learned through full immersion and through playing/interacting. Seeing the kids leave and speaking in pigeon English was adorable. I worked with the 9&10 year olds. Old enough not to pee the bed, young enough to still have innocence.

Then obviously teaching in work. I do genuinely get a buzz out of it when I see someone put something into practice that I have taught them. I'm not sure that lecturing as such would suit me, but for smaller groups I would love it.

Ha. I did a certificate (level 9 something or other) in education. If I pursue it, I could get an exemption in some modules on a masters in education. Anyway the course was long and hard. The assessments were tedious but I did them and passed them. Found out recently that I actually get to graduate from this course!! Not sure I'll go, grads are expensive affairs, but made me laugh.

I have some basic teaching experience. I spent two summers teaching English on a summer camp in Spain. A TEFL type thing but they learned through full immersion and through playing/interacting. Seeing the kids leave and speaking in pigeon English was adorable. I worked with the 9&10 year olds. Old enough not to pee the bed, young enough to still have innocence.

Then obviously teaching in work. I do genuinely get a buzz out of it when I see someone put something into practice that I have taught them. I'm not sure that lecturing as such would suit me, but for smaller groups I would love it.

Ha. I did a certificate (level 9 something or other) in education. If I pursue it, I could get an exemption in some modules on a masters in education. Anyway the course was long and hard. The assessments were tedious but I did them and passed them. Found out recently that I actually get to graduate from this course!! Not sure I'll go, grads are expensive affairs, but made me laugh.

See I get to teach adults about their industry, in which they work, and how they could potentially change how they work, and then as I also consult, I get to tell them (within limits due to NDAs) how other organisations are doing it, so they get a real life perspective.

Combined with the fact that my masters was on the same subject, and the horrible fact that every time I do teach, they get to fill out individual evaluations that I do and don't see, I get regular feedback on it, and for the most part it's positive so I get to reap the benefits.

I'd say my situation is pretty much close to utopia, I'm passionate about what I do, get to practice (a la labs), get to research, and then get to bring others on the journey and help them understand how what I do, and the theory behind it will benefit them.

It's kinda cool.
    I look at my lecturers for my masters who teach the same stuff, and consider the limitations they have in not getting to practice or consult, and consider it stifles a little, the fact I consult means I work in the real world and can bring that back in.

Might just be my area though!

And yes, I know I sound like a complete nerd.

I was in the office earlier and one of my colleagues who is also doing the same masters as I am was checking his dissertation as my supervisor told me that they are publishing the provisional results today and the exam board is now next week.

The jammy fecker has his results (provisional) on his online learning record.

They still haven't published mine :( I'm impatient now :D

• Advertisement

I was in the office earlier and one of my colleagues who is also doing the same masters as I am was checking his dissertation as my supervisor told me that they are publishing the provisional results today and the exam board is now next week.

The jammy fecker has his results (provisional) on his online learning record.

They still haven't published mine :( I'm impatient now :D

Keep us posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ha sullivo, I was one of those "summer interns" in my third yr of college and yesterday, after what...nearly 4 yrs of waiting..our paper it got accepted yesterday :D

Also,we have a ty student in with us right now and just saying today how they aren't doing anything with him!
    But I'm only there 3wks so cant show him feck all!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

This has nothing to do with anything, but I just wanted to tell someone that chocolate Benedict Cumberbatch bunnies exist

10414542_543574982476997_3932335576279888250_n.jpg

Got my provisional results

Got my provisional results

Are you happy?

Are you happy?

Yes :)

• Advertisement

Yes :)

In that case I'm very happy for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Things that annoy me about the internet part 472:

Online conversations about feminism, misogyny and sexism are infuriating. It's always a countdown until some fella jumps in and makes it all about him with cries of "#notallmen, you're so sexist against men! Stop oppressing us with your half naked Diet Coke ads!!!1!"

Similarly, the eejits who completely miss the point of the #blacklivesmatter and interrupt with "I think you'll find #alllivesmatter. This is such reverse racism!!1!"

Just stop. -_-

Things that annoy me about the internet part 472:

Online conversations about feminism, misogyny and sexism are infuriating. It's always a countdown until some fella jumps in and makes it all about him with cries of "#notallmen, you're so sexist against men! Stop oppressing us with your half naked Diet Coke ads!!!1!"

Similarly, the eejits who completely miss the point of the #blacklivesmatter and interrupt with "I think you'll find #alllivesmatter. This is such reverse racism!!1"!

Just stop. -_-

I'm gonna be completely honest. When I see these things, I skim over them.

My favourite was in my old lab we had a "hot man Friday" where we changed our desktop background to whoever we found attractive. I was an equal opportunity employer and actually had some females on the screen. However a male colleague requested that I change it to something non offensive that doesn't objectify men.

I actually couldn't give a toss about sexism, feminism, misogyny... I care about equal rights. Regardless of gender, race, sexuality, age... I couldn't care if you were a 90 year old African-Asian-transgender-pansexual being, I'll treat y'all the same way. I'll objectify you all equally.

The internet warriors wreck my head. So I avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've clocked up six hours, the most I've played in almost a decade, on a new computer game; Stardew Valley. It's supposedly a lot like Harvest Moon. I'm having a blast growing my crops, making friends in the village, fighting baddies in the mine, and fishing in the rivers and ocean. It's one of those really pleasant games where you can't lose, so you just take your time having fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think I'm going to go on a house search. I'm sick of paying ridiculously high bills because they keep turning heating on, insist on having the freaking boiler on all the time and for one person who wants to watch sky movies. 130 each this month for 3 of us...paying roughly 90-100 a month, every month, 12 months a year...we had one month where they were 57 in the last year. ONE.

• Advertisement

Can't sleep. Was exhausted going to bed and nodded straight off but woke at two with a cough that would waken the dead. Think I've a touch of bronchitis. Could feel it brewing all day but chose to ignore it and went spinning anyway. Perhaps not the wisest decision!

I was laid up with a migraine from Thursday to Sunday too. It didn't matter what drugs I took - all that helped was a dark room. I hadn't had one in years. I had forgotten just how awful they are.

Have we any new mini loungers yet? I am excited by the thoughts of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not yet! 11 days to due date and minikirby is still a bit too comfortable for his own good :)

Mini Ivy is still in situ as well.
    Lots of mini contractions every day though, and since yesterday I'm completely wrecked and sore back etc so hopefully she'll put in an appearance sooner rather than later!
    (Due on the 20th)

Not yet! 11 days to due date and minikirby is still a bit too comfortable for his own good :)
    Mini Ivy is still in situ as well.
    Lots of mini contractions every day though, and since yesterday I'm completely wrecked and sore back etc so hopefully she'll put in an appearance sooner rather than later!
    (Due on the 20th)

Hang on. Does this mean that you're both due on the same day? 11 days is the 20th :eek:

Hang on. Does this mean that you're both due on the same day? 11 days is the 20th :eek:
    Wait a sec...yes normally!
    TBH I'm completely bamboozled by how they number the weeks (it's not the same in every country, apparently) and the due date calculation.

I think it's calculated as 40 weeks in the UK and 41 weeks in France. Always thought Ivy was a week ahead!

But yes, 38+3 today and due on the 20th. :)

Fully expecting this small human to hang on until Easter weekend though...

Wait a sec...yes normally!
    TBH I'm completely bamboozled by how they number the weeks (it's not the same in every country, apparently) and the due date calculation.
    How exciting! Potential twins!

(Yes I know how biology works)

I think it's calculated as 40 weeks in the UK and 41 weeks in France. Always thought Ivy was a week ahead!
    Yeah it's 41 here. That must be why I didn't realise we were so close in date, then, because when you talk about your stage you're always a week behind! :)
    In other countries, they count it as 39.

My husband refuses to count it as 41 because he's a pedantic fecker, and the first two weeks are actually between the last period and the date of conception, so there is no baby. So when I tell him how many weeks I am, he takes away two weeks! :rolleyes:

There are actually a rake of people I know due within less than a week of me. There must have been something in the air, that week in June! :)

Well my due date is almost exactly 9 months after my birthday...:eek:

Conception date ties up nicely with a heatwave in the UK and France too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Well my due date is almost exactly 9 months after my birthday...:eek:

Conception date ties up nicely with a heatwave in the UK and France too.

I was born a month early but my due date matches up perfectly with my parents' anniversary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Mine would probably match up with my mothers bday.
    but from what I have been told about my conception(did not ask to be told!!) it probably wasn't that special of an occasion

A friend of mines birthday is November, as are all of her siblings. It matches up quite well with Valentines day! I'm not the kind of person to constantly remind her of that though. Particularly not around Valentines day.

My own due date matches up well with the Dubs winning the 1983 All-Ireland...

I know that it would ultimately annoy me because I wouldn't be able to go on the twitters on the bus, but I wish that Dublin buses came with signal jammers so that absolute idiots weren't able to have screaming conversations for a full 40 minutes. I was so close to saying "STFU" but I feared for my safety. Such an ignorant way to travel.

Coupled with the child (maybe aged 8?) who insisted on listening to crap music without headphones on the bus this morning, this day was not a fun one for commuting. I cannot wait for the weather to be okay to commute on my bike properly.

I was born a month early but my due date matches up perfectly with my parents' anniversary!

Ha, so does mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My due date matched up perfectly with my parents' original wedding date... They brought it forward :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

My siblings and I are in January, March, April and May, so clearly my parents had no system at all.
    My cousin got married last January, and their baby's due date was exactly nine months after the wedding day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

My sister and I are both October babies. When my mum's ob/gyn remarked on it, she goes 'My husband's job is very quiet in January!'.

That was information I could have done without.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    My sister and I are both October babies. When my mum's ob/gyn remarked on it, she goes 'My husband's job is very quiet in January!'.

That was information I could have done without.

Is your dad...Santa??

:eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Neyite wrote: »
    Is your dad...Santa??

:eek::pac:

Their handwriting is remarkably similar.....

:eek:

We have pretty random birthdays in my family so we aren't "special occasion" babies. On my husband's side, they are all born close together. "Back to school" babies, so to speak.

Mini Ivy is due exactly 9 months after our wedding...
    My parents were doing pregnancy maths when they heard the due date..

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Their handwriting is remarkably similar.....

:eek:
    We're through the looking glass, here, people.
    :cool:

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yay!! I know someone on the inside! *starts writing list*

Despite TTC year round since 2009, I've only ever conceived in December or August, 4 times.

We have pretty random birthdays in my family so we aren't "special occasion" babies. On my husband's side, they are all born close together. "Back to school" babies, so to speak.

Hang on. Hold the horses. Wedding?! Since when?! Obviously 9 months ago. But you kept that one quiet!

• Advertisement

Hang on. Hold the horses. Wedding?! Since when?! Obviously 9 months ago. But you kept that one quiet!

Oh, did I not announce it here? Eep!
    We decided in March last year to bite the bullet and get married in June. It was a very quiet, relaxed low key wedding with just the immediate families here in France. It was fantastic! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

My mum has been doing pregnancy maths with my nibling to be and has even gone so far as to take credit for the conception as she was babysitting around that time. She thinks it's great.

She's so embarrassing! :o:o

Oh, did I not announce it here? Eep!
    We decided in March last year to bite the bullet and get married in June. It was a very quiet, relaxed low key wedding with just the immediate families here in France. It was fantastic! :)

Congratulations! That's fantastic news. And great that you enjoyed the day so much. Big weddings can be awful difficult. If I ever get married it'll be a small one!

They must've been trying to work out if you had sex before marriage, becuase obviously pancake was a miracle conception :p

They must've been trying to work out if you had sex before marriage, becuase obviously pancake was a miracle conception :p
    I think the attitude was "Well at least THIS one was born on the right side of the wedding!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement