Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I found my passport :D:D:D

Now this might sound like a strange thing, but for work purposes, I usually have it in my workbag, as I regularly need to present id on customer sites.

I last remembered using it when we went on holiday in September, and couldn't find it since.

Had a brainwave tonight to check the jacket I wore home on the flight as it has an inside pocket, and there it was :)

Happy days :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I always have my passport in my handbag. I'd prefer not to but legally you have to have your ID on you in France.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I managed to fly home on Wednesday but my wallet decided to try and stay jn Heathrow! Most of Thursday morning spent on the phone to Aer Lingus and trying to get through to Heathrow and thankfully it was found. Friend has collected it and posting it to me, cost £15 to recover from the lost and found!

However my EHIC card was in it meaning I get free GP and prescriptions here, but ended up going to the doctors yesterday morning, so on antibiotics and steroids to clear my sinuses. Has it for two weeks and though it was viral, clearly not! Expensive trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Just got tickets for the Ireland vs New Zealand game in Chicago!!! So excited!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Wallet posted in London last Friday, arrived in Dublin on Tuesday as I could track it but lost tracking after that. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I'm flying back Saturday evening, so it will have to be posted back to London. Fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow!!!

Just got tickets for the Ireland vs New Zealand game in Chicago!!! So excited!!!

Well jealous - that will be a class game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

MiniKirby appears to be on a mission to "christen" everything today... He peed on both the changing mat and the scales at the midwife appointment today, peed on his dad (along with attempting a projectile poo) during a nappy change earlier, peed on my sleeve earlier too... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Well jealous - that will be a class game!

Can't wait!! Need something nice to look forward to - my boyfriend is heading to Syria tomorrow morning for 6 months so nice trip to the USA and Canada to plan for when he's home, all around the rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm on the fence. Love Chicago. Love rugby. Love the All Blacks. Don't have any money.

• Advertisement

I should be asleep. I have to be awake at 4am to cycle to Galway.

MiniKirby appears to be on a mission to "christen" everything today... He peed on both the changing mat and the scales at the midwife appointment today, peed on his dad (along with attempting a projectile poo) during a nappy change earlier, peed on my sleeve earlier too... :eek:
    I don't know if you've noticed but a good tip off that they are going to pee is that their willy sticks up in the air! (L used to pee everywhere once his nappy was off! ). You can buy little fabric cones to put on when you take the nappy off, or we used to just cover his willy with a face cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I used to drape a baby wipe over that area to protect from peeing.
    Nobody warns you about that when you have a boy! I'll never forget the first time little sunny dayz did that to me: I was changing him just before we were being discharged from the hospital, I got such a fright I let out a little scream but it scared him and he started crying!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sullivlo wrote: »
    I should be asleep. I have to be awake at 4am to cycle to Galway.
    Did you make it?

I'd a weird day. I've a new customer that I'm consulting with for the past couple of months, and they've never ever used consultants before, so they are fierce formal, compared to people used to using consultants.

Got a bit of bad feedback, nothing massive, so worked today to solve that, and then addressed another sideways issue they had no idea I could help with.

In summary, got a shock, thought I'd ****ed up, figured it out, sorted it as best I could, then took advantage of an opportunity to sort it even more.

Going to bed feeling happy. Customer is going to hopefully get more through sheer serendipity, and I get kudos.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I used to drape a baby wipe over that area to protect from peeing.
    Nobody warns you about that when you have a boy! I'll never forget the first time little sunny dayz did that to me: I was changing him just before we were being discharged from the hospital, I got such a fright I let out a little scream but it scared him and he started crying!

Yep, a babywipe draped over helps a lot. :) My guy was about 6 months and he did a big one after a night feed on the changing mat, so he soaked himself right up to the ears and was not a bit happy. But I could see him registering the connection between the sensation and the wee he just did. And he never did it again. Amazing how clever they are even at that age.

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you make it?

Just. It was touch and go for a while. Incredibly tough conditions. The worst I have ever experienced on a bike. But I made it. Sore today. But incredibly happy. And hungover.

• Advertisement

Just. It was touch and go for a while. Incredibly tough conditions. The worst I have ever experienced on a bike. But I made it. Sore today. But incredibly happy. And hungover.
    ... and to follow up on this, the current running total for funds raised for Down Syndrome Ireland is €96,000.

I have never been more physically or emotionally drained as I am today. But what an event to be a part of!

Have an exam in an hour's time an hour and forty five minutes long :(

Have an exam in an hour's time an hour and forty five minutes long :(
    Good luck!

Well done sullivlo and best of luck, stheno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm getting my hair cut for the first time in about two years soon. I spent the morning lying in bed thinking about whether I can go for a radical restyle or whether I'll chicken out.

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I'm getting my hair cut for the first time in about two years soon. I spent the morning lying in bed thinking about whether I can go for a radical restyle or whether I'll chicken out.

Go radical, it's always fun :)

Visited my mother tonight on the way home, haven't seen her for a while.

She's moved house and is in post house move stress mode, and adjusting to living on a limited income.

She also suffers from being too proud to ask anything, she was giving out about the state of her extractor fan, which turned out to be she didn't know how to make it work, or use her new grill.

Five minutes later, it was discovered the extractor fan was unplugged and did indeed work, and the relevant set of buttons to press to operate the grill were uncovered.

She's had a lot of expenses moving house, and has a list of stuff she'd like, but can't afford at the moment.

I'm happy to pay for a few (shower door, light fitting to dress up the living room, towel rail, couple of plants), but am worried she'd see it as me lording it over her. She's a terrible thing about money, and honestly believes that people earning a bit more than normal are the devil.

I'm kinda thinking it would be nice to treat her and get to see her a bit more, and see her being comfy as she is getting older.

Do I sound mad as a brush? It's not mad money we are talking, maybe a couple of hundred euro, and I've had a recent bonus waiting to be spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

How about a voucher for IKEA maybe (if they even do vouchers!) And make a day out of it, go with her and help her pick out some things and get lunch there etc.

God I love IKEA ... :)

How about a voucher for IKEA maybe (if they even do vouchers!) And make a day out of it, go with her and help her pick out some things and get lunch there etc.

God I love IKEA ... :)

I've suggested a day in B and Q, as some of the stuff she needs is not in IKEA :)

And B and Q is closer as she lives in the bog, and she's a load of IKEA stuff but some of what she needs is not available in IKEA :)

And we can stop on the way back for a nice lunch.

She seems on for it, we would have had a very fractious relationship in the past, so attempting now in my forties and her sixties to make an effort :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Exam results officially out next week. Feeling a little bit sick.

Going home next Wednesday or Thursday after a 4 week stint here in Calais. Looking forward to going, but feeling guilty for leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

How have you found being there? I think you're great for going

How have you found being there? I think you're great for going

It's tough, I won't lie. I'm mostly working in the aid warehouse on getting stuff ready to distribute. Making up packs of clothes for new children is the hardest. It's just so unfair on all involved.

That said, I'm working with amazing people and I've met some of the most wonderful people on camp, so it's not all bad.

It's tough, I won't lie. I'm mostly working in the aid warehouse on getting stuff ready to distribute. Making up packs of clothes for new children is the hardest. It's just so unfair on all involved.

That said, I'm working with amazing people and I've met some of the most wonderful people on camp, so it's not all bad.

I have such admiration for you lady! Such resilience.

Got back on the bike today. One word. Ouch. The bits of my undercarriage that I thought were healed were clearly not. Made for an uncomfortable ride!

However, really enjoyed the spin. I fancied hills, so I did a few. Traffic around the Phoenix park was manic today though.

Currently cultivating my cyclists tan!

How was everyone's weekends? I was fairly quiet. Cleaned yesterday - my great aunt lives with us & was recently diagnosed with dementia so we're making things as easy for her as possible in terms of remembering where things are and what is safe!! Cleaning yesterday would suggest there are some issues that need to be resolved but will talk to her medical team.

One funny one though. Was cleaning her bathroom and found a packet of sanitary towels. I was concerned (she's 80, bleeding would be a bad sign!) so I asked her what they were for. I was not expecting the answer I got.

"For keeping my shoes smelling fresh, and they don't go sliding around the shoe because of the sticky part on the back."

Can't fight the logic.

On another note. Pay day on Wednesday. I cannot wait. I have almost drained myself of cash this month. Paid my car insurance off in full. Bought dresses. Bought Lego. Nights out... Gah! Oh also bought some pretty things for my bike :)

I'd a lovely weekend.

Went down to my mum yesterday with a spare coffee table we had which she liked.

Then when we were down last Thursday Sen was saying she needed a new extractor fan for her cooker. Turned out it wasn't plugged in and all she needed was a new filter.

So she took it apart and couldn't put it back so I managed to fix that and we went out for dinner.

Then today I'd to resit an exam and thankfully passed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I went exploring the beaches of cork with two college friends and then we were meant to go to a gig but we were so comfy and happy at my friends house that we didnt go! Went to the shop for two more cans and now im home in time for bed and to get up for work.
    Best weekend I've had since I moved down

• Advertisement

Definition of lazy.

I'm currently in my office. My phone is currently in the lab. I would like to send a message to a friend of mine via whatsapp, however the thoughts of standing up and walking the approximate 56 steps there and back to send the text, makes me want to cry. So I tried to log in to whatsapp web, however I need my phone to do that.

Maybe I'll just email my friend instead :P

Definition of lazy.

I'm currently in my office. My phone is currently in the lab. I would like to send a message to a friend of mine via whatsapp, however the thoughts of standing up and walking the approximate 56 steps there and back to send the text, makes me want to cry. So I tried to log in to whatsapp web, however I need my phone to do that.

That's not lazy.

Lazy is sitting in front of someone and iming them rather than taking out your headphones and speaking to them to ask "wanna go grab a coffee?"

Myself and the OH are having a very calm evening watching a Cathering Cookson drama :) Tis very enjoyable and relaxing.

That's not lazy.

Lazy is sitting in front of someone and iming them rather than taking out your headphones and speaking to them to ask "wanna go grab a coffee?"

Myself and the OH are having a very calm evening watching a Cathering Cookson drama :) Tis very enjoyable and relaxing.

Oh I gchat my office mates about lunch rather than take out the headphones and speak.

I took the lift down two flights the other day. New low.

Oh I gchat my office mates about lunch rather than take out the headphones and speak.

I took the lift down two flights the other day. New low.

MwHAHAAHAAAA
    If it's not on the same floor I take the lift :D I blame my dodgy knee, stairs aren't good for it :)

MwHAHAAHAAAA
    If it's not on the same floor I take the lift :D I blame my dodgy knee, stairs aren't good for it :)

We have med students in our building. For those that will be charged with the health of the nation in the future, they're fierce lazy. I work on the third floor. Regularly the med students get in on zero and out on one! Or get in at -1 and out on zero. TAKE THE STAIRS! One day last week I went from -3 to 3 and stopped at every single floor on the way. All med students.

I take the lift when Gravity is involved :pac:

We have med students in our building. For those that will be charged with the health of the nation in the future, they're fierce lazy. I work on the third floor. Regularly the med students get in on zero and out on one! Or get in at -1 and out on zero. TAKE THE STAIRS! One day last week I went from -3 to 3 and stopped at every single floor on the way. All med students.

I take the lift when Gravity is involved :pac:

You'd want to see my GP, I reckon her BMI is close to 40, but she's a deadly GP.

I once read that those in the medical professions are amongst the most unhealthy of individuals, it's like they have a god complex.

Definition of lazy.

A follow up on the laziness:

I was in my office. My bowl was in the lab. My cup was on my desk. My porridge was on my desk.

Rather than walk to the lab, get my bowl, go back to the office, scoop out the porridge, and then go back to the lab to use the microwave, I scooped the porridge into my cup to transport it instead. Yes, I could have carried my porridge into the lab, however that would have necessitated an extra trip back to the office with the porridge as I couldn't carry bowl, cup AND porridge in one go.

Unsure whether to be proud or ashamed. Think I'll go with proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Someone challenged people to games of chess in the pub last week. I played, and lost, and I've been on a chess kick ever since. I even set up a league for the pub. The only problem is to play more games, I have to go to the pub. And if no-one is in the pub to play chess, I'll drink more. Which means I become a broke Lyaiera very quickly.

So instead a friend came around on Saturday night. With two games of chess played and a bottle of wine consumed it was a great night.

I downloaded a book, supposedly one of the best for beginners and I followed along with the explanations of some games (explaining basic theory) with a chess board and all the moves in front of me. My pulse was up and I was beaming after following one of the games. All this means I think I'll go to the chess club on Friday.

The last time I went to the chess club I was the only person between the ages of twenty and forty there, and the only woman. There were loads of older people, and plenty of teenagers. So all the teenagers ganged up on me, asked me if I had been to university and when they found out I had been they bombarded me with questions about courses, and what uni life is like. It was actually kind of sweet, and nice to be able to give them an impartial view of what it's like, not coming from their parents or teachers. And I guess that's something quite nice about the chess club. Young people and older people compete on an even playing field. The young teens were far better than me, and it makes for a nice way to interact.

Now I just have to wait. I'd love to spend the day in the sun (sun! Woohoo!) with a few drinks and a chess board. I even put on my summer dress with the predicted sunshine for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Prince died :( That's it, I'm officially done with 2016

• Advertisement

I passed my exams!!!! Happy Friday you beautiful people! :D:D

A follow up on the laziness:

I was in my office. My bowl was in the lab. My cup was on my desk. My porridge was on my desk.

Rather than walk to the lab, get my bowl, go back to the office, scoop out the porridge, and then go back to the lab to use the microwave, I scooped the porridge into my cup to transport it instead. Yes, I could have carried my porridge into the lab, however that would have necessitated an extra trip back to the office with the porridge as I couldn't carry bowl, cup AND porridge in one go.

Unsure whether to be proud or ashamed. Think I'll go with proud.

You eat in the lab! :eek: Tuttut!
    /I never kept icecream in the freezer beside DNA samples....cough/
    Dolbert wrote: »
    Prince died :( That's it, I'm officially done with 2016
    Do you find yourself looking at famous people of a certain age and wondering if they'll be the next one to pop their clogs?
    (Jurassic Park was on the telly last night and I got worried about Jeff Goldblum...)

You eat in the lab! :eek: Tuttut!
    /I never kept icecream in the freezer beside DNA samples....cough/

Do you find yourself looking at famous people of a certain age and wondering if they'll be the next one to pop their clogs?
    (Jurassic Park was on the telly last night and I got worried about Jeff Goldblum...)
    God no.

I just WASH my bowl in the lab. And if I have forgotten to wash it straight away, the porridge is like glue so I need to leave it soak.

I too would never store anything in the lab fridge or freezer that is for personal consumption, and I particularly wouldn't a) freeze food in liquid nitrogen (& eat it), b) use lab ice to cool down wine or c) have a secret stash of malteasers in my lab coat pocker. Nope. Never.

I really hope that Leicster win the league.

#sportsball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

#sportsball

I really hope that West Brom beat Tottenham tonight so that Leicester still have a chance if they lose to Manchester United at the weekend. United really need to win that game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The last few days have been a bit mad. My car was almost totalled, still waiting to hear if it's gonna be written off or not. Gingerbread has been very sick with possible hand, foot and mouth and now I've got it. Buuut I got funding to do some recording! Exciting but it means I definitely have to do it now :eek:

• Advertisement

Christ Dolbert - that's awful about the car. I know it's a major inconvenience but at the end of the day it's a piece of metal - the most important thing is that you're all okay. How did it happen?

I keep hearing about this hand, foot and mouth thingy but I don't understand it.

And mega, mega congrats on the recording deal. That's superb!

#sportsball
    Me too! :)
    Dolbert wrote: »
    The last few days have been a bit mad. My car was almost totalled, still waiting to hear if it's gonna be written off or not. Gingerbread has been very sick with possible hand, foot and mouth and now I've got it. Buuut I got funding to do some recording! Exciting but it means I definitely have to do it now :eek:
    Oh God love you with the hand foot and mouth! L had that 3 times (and I got a rake of mouth ulcers the first time). Rotten dose. But well done on the recording deal!

Christ Dolbert - that's awful about the car. I know it's a major inconvenience but at the end of the day it's a piece of metal - the most important thing is that you're all okay. How did it happen?

I keep hearing about this hand, foot and mouth thingy but I don't understand it.

And mega, mega congrats on the recording deal. That's superb!
    It's a very common and relatively harmless disease in young children (it's a virus in the Coxsakie family, which always gives me a giggle!). They get fever, and spots/ulcers around the mouth, hands, feet and bum and are generally off form.
    There's no cure, you just have to give lots of paracetamol (for the fever) and TLC.

Me too! :)

Oh God love you with the hand foot and mouth! L had that 3 times (and I got a rake of mouth ulcers the first time). Rotten dose. But well done on the recording deal!

It's a very common and relatively harmless disease in young children (it's a virus in the Coxsakie family, which always gives me a giggle!). They get fever, and spots/ulcers around the mouth, hands, feet and bum and are generally off form.
    There's no cure, you just have to give lots of paracetamol (for the fever) and TLC.
    I've never felt more immature than when in a 2nd year microbiology lecture where we had to learn about Kochs postulates.

Or the time I ate in a German restaurant called Kuntz.

All other times in my life I'm mature.

--

That sounds like an awful dose. Poor babakins (& poor mammy!). Hopefully both make a quick recovery!

Was chatting to a guy on tinder yesterday for a while, but like boring small talk. He suddenly asked me out and I agreed, more out of politeness than anything. But he's just gotten more boring. I can already tell it'll be a bad date and I don't want to go.

How bad is it to just unmatch someone without saying anything? What is the protocol with this new age dating business?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Well if you wouldn't like it done to you I wouldn't do it to someone else, is my rule :)

Maybe just say the date isn't going to go ahead. At least he won't be left wondering...

• Advertisement
Advertisement