Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Well if you wouldn't like it done to you I wouldn't do it to someone else, is my rule :)

Maybe just say the date isn't going to go ahead. At least he won't be left wondering...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't want to be mean. I'm new back to dating and bad at it. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I really hope that West Brom beat Tottenham tonight so that Leicester still have a chance if they lose to Manchester United at the weekend. United really need to win that game!

I guess a draw will do. 3 points from 3 games. Entirely doable.

Went for a "run" this evening. I wasn't minding the time and I "ran" into the local park. I "ran" a lap of it and reached the realisation that there was nobody else there. I checked the next gate - locked. As was every other bloody gate in the park!!! I ended up scouring the park for any sort of gap in the fence. Eventually found a broken part of fence that was climbable but it was a very eventful "run".

(I say "run", because I did a little bit of walking in between. However I did knock 5mins off my best time for 5km! Rio here I come!)

Also managed to lose my bike lock key somewhere. I don't remember which safe place I left the spare one in. Ah well! I have a lock I can use tomorrow and hopefully the other will show up. Disaster so I am.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. A friend of mine was in a bad accident last week and we're going to visit him in hospital. I'm just dreading doing (or saying) something stupid, but I really want to let him know that I'm there for him to help in any way that I can. Hopefully I don't put my foot in it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just visit, ask how they are feeling and listen

I'm ****e in those situations and it works for me

Horrid though, best wishes to your poor friend.

icon_extrastupid
    Floored By Their Stupidity
    OFFICE | UT, USA | COWORKERS, EXTRA STUPID
    (I’m sitting in the lobby of my building, waiting for a ride. Two females walk to the elevator and the door opens.)

Those stupid females

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My migraines have evolved, and now include bouts of vomiting. So over this :(

LenaClaire wrote: »
    My migraines have evolved, and now include bouts of vomiting. So over this :(

Oh no. Migraines suck. You have all of my sympathy. I got struck by one a few weeks back with the puking episodes too and it was horrific.

Have you tried to identify the trigger for you?

My pharmacist was super helpful in helping me pick what meds would help, and he recommended seeing my GP for stronger stuff if the attacks became more frequent.

Then the usual - dark room, rest, hydration.

Hopefully it passes soon.

I am fairly sure it is purely stress / lack of sleep related. I have just a basic extra strength solpadeine type thing that usually just gets me to sleep, then when I wake up I am fine.

This time when I woke up it was even worse and then there was the extra sickness. Need to go see doctor again :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am fairly sure it is purely stress / lack of sleep related. I have just a basic extra strength solpadeine type thing that usually just gets me to sleep, then when I wake up I am fine.

This time when I woke up it was even worse and then there was the extra sickness. Need to go see doctor again :(

I have a range of otc and prescription meds for migraines.

On the rare occasion I get struck down with them, it appears to be due to significant changes in weather pressure, so going from a really heavy humid day to a very clear day.

Doesn't happen very often, but I end up in bed for at least a day, unable to stand up, see straight, throwing up, then I slowly regain my balance on day two and generally almost normal on day three.

Migraines are horrid.

Stheno wrote: »

On the rare occasion I get struck down with them, it appears to be due to significant changes in weather pressure, so going from a really heavy humid day to a very clear day.

There was a really huge thunderstorm last night. That might be something I should look into.

• Advertisement

There was a really huge thunderstorm last night. That might be something I should look into.

Well worth it.

My migraines are due to a head injury in my twenties and have lessened over time, but weather changes used cripple me.

My grandmother had migraines and epilepsy, and my mom has migraines so I am assuming it is genetic, but I did have some severe concussions when I was a kid, so that might have a tie in as well.

I have not really been pushed to talk to the doctor about it, since the drugs and sleep used to cure it but thinking I need to get it really looked into now. They are just getting worse and worse lately.

My grandmother had migraines and epilepsy, and my mom has migraines so I am assuming it is genetic, but I did have some severe concussions when I was a kid, so that might have a tie in as well.

I have not really been pushed to talk to the doctor about it, since the drugs and sleep used to cure it but thinking I need to get it really looked into now. They are just getting worse and worse lately.

I first got migraines after a very severe head injury horse riding where I was off work for four months.

They subsided and it's just severe weather that causes them now.

Prior to them, I played rugby and other sports and had loads of concussions so might have been more subseptible.

Talk to your doctor, if you've a good one (my gp is great) you'll get a scrip for a drug for when you need it and it will help

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Serafina Pekkala

Hi ladies, I'm new here, hope this is an appropriate place to post.

It's taken me many years to discover that my migraines are hormonal. They started in puberty and were really bad during pregnancy, just when the good drugs are off the menu!
    My daughter gets them now, it's a Victorian type swoon in reaction to too much excitement and junk food.
    I found that keeping a migraine diary helped identify the triggers and allowed us to manage situations where a migraine might occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Mine are mostly hormonal too although stress and close weather don't help! Had to treat my last 2 with just paracetamol and ice packs. The last one lasted 3 days. Horrible yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mine are mostly hormonal too (I used to get the on the pill-free week), they started as one day long and progressed to 3 days long, which was a big reason why I stopped taking the pill. I very occasionally get them now, and funnily enough it can be weather related!
    Does anyone else have visual disturbance before the migraine hits? I get it in the centre of my field of vision an hour or two before. It's like after you look at a light source for too long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you're ever in the UK or NI, you can probably get Nurofen Migraine. It's not available here, afaik. Not sure how effective it is, though.

http://www.nurofen.co.uk/our-products/symptom-specific/nurofen-migraine-pain/

http://www.nurofen.co.uk/our-products/pharmacy-strength/nurofen-max-strength-migraine-pain-684mg-caplets/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I used get horrendous migraines in my teens. My husband gets them very regularly. He is actually dangerous when he has a bad one. Can't focus, cant string a sentence together, can't drive and gets bouts of vomiting with them. The main triggers for him are stress, lack of sleep and not hydrating properly. There's definitely a few food triggers too. Was great fun during the summer last year during the brief hot spell in which time we were expecting our second baby, he also had a big job interview as well. Of course having two kids under two at the time was very conducive to sleeping too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm so glad I don't suffer from migraines. I'd be a horrendous patient. Considering the frequency with which brains tend to bleed in my family, a migraine would have all of us ****ting a brick.

• Advertisement

Mine are mostly hormonal too (I used to get the on the pill-free week), they started as one day long and progressed to 3 days long, which was a big reason why I stopped taking the pill. I very occasionally get them now, and funnily enough it can be weather related!
    Does anyone else have visual disturbance before the migraine hits? I get it in the centre of my field of vision an hour or two before. It's like after you look at a light source for too long.

I get the aura, yeah. It's a bizarre sensation but helpful, as if I can get the migraleve into me before the headache starts, I can normally get through without much distruption. I used to get them awfully bad - accompanied by flooding nose bleeds. Thankfully that's calmed down.

Defo hormone related. I usually get a bit of a hormone headache, but sometimes it's just horrific.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I get the aura, yeah. It's a bizarre sensation but helpful, as if I can get the migraleve into me before the headache starts, I can normally get through without much distruption. I used to get them awfully bad - accompanied by flooding nose bleeds. Thankfully that's calmed down.

Defo hormone related. I usually get a bit of a hormone headache, but sometimes it's just horrific.
    I find the aura almost as annoying as the migraine itself, because it's in the centre of my vision, I can't drive or read or work and the time it actually lasts varies. By the time the migraine arrives, the aura is gone so I can manage to function during the migraine (it's very unpleasant but doable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I was checking out the weather online shortly after reading this thread today and I noticed that Accuweather has a 'migraine headache forecast' so it might be useful for anyone looking to determine if the weather is a factor.

Migraine Weather

What in christs name is up with the weather recently? Like seriously.

This morning I was meeting a friend for a cycle. Thankfully she was running a little bit late. We were due to start at 10. We didn't start until nearly 10.20. But at 10.01 there was an almighty shower of rain out of a sunny sky! Then the wind. Don't get me started on the wind! Tipping along at 30kph barely pedalling. Until we turned around and struggled to do 15! Mental weather for May.

In other news, I ran 5km non stop for the first time ever yesterday. Slow. But steady.

I've got the Sunday night fear. But on a Monday. Why do we have to go back to work tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What in christs name is up with the weather recently? Like seriously.

This morning I was meeting a friend for a cycle. Thankfully she was running a little bit late. We were due to start at 10. We didn't start until nearly 10.20. But at 10.01 there was an almighty shower of rain out of a sunny sky! Then the wind. Don't get me started on the wind! Tipping along at 30kph barely pedalling. Until we turned around and struggled to do 15! Mental weather for May.

In other news, I ran 5km non stop for the first time ever yesterday. Slow. But steady.

I've got the Sunday night fear. But on a Monday. Why do we have to go back to work tomorrow?

That's sounds fantastic, to be honest. Headwinds, tailwinds, sunlight and bikes. No wonder you're dreading it stopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

MiniKirby has started smiling... surely that's a sign that it's time for me to get back to some running! :)

• Advertisement

MiniKirby has started smiling... surely that's a sign that it's time for me to get back to some running! :)
    I had my six week check up with the gyny last week, he told me no sport til I had routine perineal rehab - so if you don't get that, at least do Kegel exercises before you go back to proper running! :)

I have been doing those and a bit of core work... I'm getting really bored of just walking tbh! 6 week check-up next Tuesday for me, time flies :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I started back running again after my 6 week check after baby no.2. I was dying to get going. Only did couch to 5k though. Really built back up gently but I had been doing Pilates and pelvic floor all the way through in an effort to stop myself from being crippled by bloody Pelvic Girdle Pain. I'd say 6 weeks after this one arrives I won't be reaching for my runners :D aren't the smiles just magic!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Possible tigger warning in the pic below:

NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I got an error message when I tried to open that Dolbert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sad to be leaving London today with the weather being so magnificent!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Sad to be leaving London today with the weather being so magnificent!

I hope you're not coming to Dublin as it's entirely less than magnificent today.

26c predicted here today. Lovely jubbly :)

Would love an outdoor swim but the water would be freezing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yes the weather in London is gorgeous! We're just passing through on way home though and Gatwick is boiling bleh

We had gorgeous weather all weekend (a four day weekend, because Thursday was a bank holiday here for Ascension Thursday, and lots of organisations take the Friday off as well) until yesterday evening. Now it's so rotten that I feel like I'm back in Ireland! :)

We had gorgeous weather all weekend (a four day weekend, because Thursday was a bank holiday here for Ascension Thursday, and lots of organisations take the Friday off as wall) until yesterday evening. Now it's so rotten that I feel like I'm back in Ireland! :)

It ended up being pretty nice here yesterday. I even wore shorts and turned on the BBQ.

Paying for yesterday today. Way too much booze. Margeritas for brunch, beer in the day, G&T (from my new collection) all evening... I suppose one only turns 30 once so it's allowed, but feeling very delicate this morning and regretting not having the foresight to book today off work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Is it saturday yet?

Happy birthday, sullivlo!

Happy Birthday sullivlo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Happy birthday sullivlo!

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Is it saturday yet?

Happy birthday, sullivlo!

I agree - Saturday needs to hurry up. It's just a nightmare being stuck inside on a day like today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Happy birthday sullivlo! :)

Happy birthday sullivlo!

Such a lovely day - met up with hubby for breakfast this morning then had a lovely walk in the park. Also found a butchers shop today that sells cans of Club Rock Shandy so had to treat myself :)

Happy birthday sullivlo!

Such a lovely day - met up with hubby for breakfast this morning then had a lovely walk in the park. Also found a butchers shop today that sells cans of Club Rock Shandy so had to treat myself :)

OMG I need to know the location of that butchers. My cousins adore rock shandy. They usually just have to make do with whatever dregs that expensive shop in the train station have. Victoria I think. The one that the train to Brighton goes from. Beside where Billy Elliot was on. They usually only have the NI Tayto though.

Holloway Road, not too far from the Odeon. There's a bunch of Irish stuff there too - Dairygold, Cidona, Galtee cheese, Erin sauces etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Happy birthday sullivo! hope you had a good one!

Calling all the London ladies
    I need a place to stay for one night. will be flying into gatwick and getting the train to victoria/wherever. Have a knowledge of the underground so I won't get toooo lost
    Have ye any suggestions on an area? will need to entertain myself for the day and night too so bear that in mind :) I'll need to get to acton the day after but I can tube it there.

Thanks in advance!

sammyjo90 wrote: »

I need a place to stay for one night. will be flying into gatwick and getting the train to victoria/wherever. Have a knowledge of the underground so I won't get toooo lost
    Have ye any suggestions on an area? will need to entertain myself for the day and night too so bear that in mind :) I'll need to get to acton the day after but I can tube it there.

Thanks in advance!

With the amazing transport links, anywhere within a decent zone on the tube should see you sorted! When you arrive in Gatwick go to the desk rather than kiosk and ask for the tube ticket to be put on your train ticket. It only costs a little bit extra but it is worth it!

Last time I was in London was for the RWC and we stayed in Stratford. Couldn't recommend it more highly, but I've been to London lots so wasn't too bothered with the sights. The shopping centre in Stratford is unreal, and a decent selection of restaurants too! Probably not much night life though is the only thing.

The time before I stayed on the Notting hill side of Hyde Park, and that was ideal because we could just wander down to Oxford street. Some really nice restaurants and (expensive) bars there. Great nights were had.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

If you're ever in the UK or NI, you can probably get Nurofen Migraine. It's not available here, afaik. Not sure how effective it is, though.

http://www.nurofen.co.uk/our-products/symptom-specific/nurofen-migraine-pain/

http://www.nurofen.co.uk/our-products/pharmacy-strength/nurofen-max-strength-migraine-pain-684mg-caplets/

I've used it for mine and its been pretty good.

So work told me that they noticed I was on a wrong tax code, which I have been since I started there as far as I know - which is nearly two years!!! Definitely one tax rebate coming my way from a phone call today, possibly a second from the previous tax year :D:D cue online shopping

In a weird situation with work - thinking of leaving because of serious concerns I have with things, one of which being that I teach a student who faints all the time, but is now gone to fitting, yet we have not been told about the fitting, nor received any training or advice on what to do, but just call the first aiders on site, which can take a few minutes between the call and them coming over. Assistant headteacher came over to our building looking for me about something I was doing for her with numeracy and I ended up spitting the whole thing out outside the building with nearly a 20 minute chat, the fact I was considering leaving a job even if I didn't have a job to go to. Definitely one I have to really think about - am applying for a few roles, but the headteacher has done me a favour recently, where some of my appointments during school time which are normally unpaid, she has put down as paid owing to my contribution to my school.

We finally have air con in our building, oh my God the difference is unreal :) Delighted! Went for a walk around Virginia Waters yesterday with a friend and her dog and it was amazing - 26ish the whole day. Rain all evening though :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks in advance!

Might be worth staying somewhere near Ealing Broadway - Acton is close enough, but you can be into London Paddington in 10 mins from Ealing, Westfield's Shepards Bush is 17 mins on the central line from there. Depends on whether you want to see the sights of central London, trains up until 23:49, then next one is 00:34, so good transport links.

You can go into Victoria, across to Paddington and out to Ealing in about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

With the amazing transport links, anywhere within a decent zone on the tube should see you sorted! When you arrive in Gatwick go to the desk rather than kiosk and ask for the tube ticket to be put on your train ticket. It only costs a little bit extra but it is worth it!

Last time I was in London was for the RWC and we stayed in Stratford. Couldn't recommend it more highly, but I've been to London lots so wasn't too bothered with the sights. The shopping centre in Stratford is unreal, and a decent selection of restaurants too! Probably not much night life though is the only thing.

The time before I stayed on the Notting hill side of Hyde Park, and that was ideal because we could just wander down to Oxford street. Some really nice restaurants and (expensive) bars there. Great nights were had.

yeah I've been to london loads too but I've always had a place to stay. just wouldnt really know where to look! I'll have a gawk around stratford, I don't need night life as it will be just little ole me! just somethin to pass the time :)

I'll take a look at ealing too thanks :)

• Advertisement

yeah I've been to london loads too but I've always had a place to stay. just wouldnt really know where to look! I'll have a gawk around stratford, I don't need night life as it will be just little ole me! just somethin to pass the time :)

I'll take a look at ealing too thanks :)

Happy belated birthday sullivlo

I have stayed in the marlin apartments in Stratford be for, cheap secure and comfy

Advertisement