Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Sapphire wrote: »
    I got an error message when I tried to open that Dolbert.

Lol, joke fail :o

Happy birthday sullivlo, you have the exact same date of birth as my sister! You're not her are you? Small, red hair, yea high *narrows eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Dolbert wrote: »
    Lol, joke fail :o

Happy birthday sullivlo, you have the exact same date of birth as my sister! You're not her are you? Small, red hair, yea high *narrows eyes*

You'll never know ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

A guy insisting that he has to pay for everything on a date because it's "what any half-decent guy does" - sweet or really bloody annoying?

I'm leaning strongly towards the latter.

Went sailing today. Unreal craic. One of the guys from work is a sailing instructor in his spare time and he brought us out.

It was touch and go for ages with the weather. There was zero wind. But when we got out of the harbour OMG the wind arrived and we were FLYING.

It was such a thrill. I was left in charge of the main sail rope so I was essentially in charge of the speed. He complimented me on my ability to get all of the streamers flying in the same direction, and for knowing when to let the sail go slack.

I am 100% going sailing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

On a French exchange when I was fourteen, I went sailing on a catamaran twice, it was class! The French students actually got to do sailing for a term as their PE class.
    I'd love to learn how to sail properly.

• Advertisement

On a French exchange when I was fourteen, I went sailing on a catamaran twice, it was class! The French students actually got to do sailing for a term as their PE class.
    I'd love to learn how to sail properly.

His company run sailing courses over weekends that would qualify you to crew, where you can just turn up on a day and offer to help out. I'm going to save up and do it. It really was enjoyable. I'm wrecked now though. Worth it.

I think I have a flare up of TMJ. Ear is in bits but I don't have any other ear infection symptoms that I would usually get with this level of pain. Gonna lash the anti-inflammatories into me and hope they help. If nothing else they will take away the pain. And will dig out a gum shield for sleeping.

Oh I just googled TMJ, ouch! I hope it clears up soon.

It's annoying alright. Everyone says "try not to yawn", well thanks buddy, by even mentioning the word yawn, I now want to yawn!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

sullivlo wrote: »
    It's annoying alright. Everyone says "try not to yawn", well thanks buddy, by even mentioning the word yawn, I now want to yawn!!

Happy birthday (although I'm very late) Sullivlo. Hope you get well soon, and don't have to listen to anyone boring who'll make you yawn. :P

I live in Ealing Broadway. It's easy to get most places from there - it's on the district line, so you can go straight to Victoria from there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Went sailing today. Unreal craic. One of the guys from work is a sailing instructor in his spare time and he brought us out.

It was touch and go for ages with the weather. There was zero wind. But when we got out of the harbour OMG the wind arrived and we were FLYING.

It was such a thrill. I was left in charge of the main sail rope so I was essentially in charge of the speed. He complimented me on my ability to get all of the streamers flying in the same direction, and for knowing when to let the sail go slack.

I am 100% going sailing again.

I was out doing the Wednesday races in Howth last night was the same, no wind in the harbour, then loads once we got out.

There was much shouting and banter between boats at times :D
    His company run sailing courses over weekends that would qualify you to crew, where you can just turn up on a day and offer to help out. I'm going to save up and do it. It really was enjoyable. I'm wrecked now though. Worth it.

You could also check out crewfinder lists for different clubs, not all boats want you to know how to sail, I started as a complete beginner crewing in the weekly races in Howth :)

• Advertisement

Cool, will check out crewfinder lists! I'm kinda swamped this summer between cycles, crewing for cyclists and training for a triathlon, so can't really commit a huge amount of time to it, but I did really enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I appear to have gotten a spot in the shorter 46 mile RideLondon event... looks like me and my turbo trainer are about to become quite closely acquainted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

What glorious weather - really puts everyone in such a good mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I didn't wear a coat to work today! Madness!

I wore shorts and toms to work today and used a hoody as a coat. I just went to the shop in a short sleeved tshirt and it was perfect.

The weather is meant to be like this tomorrow. I am cycling tomorrow in the Wicklow Mountains (first time going over Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap) and around the lakes in Blessington. If it's sunny the views will be unreal.

As will the inevitable cyclist tan :)

RK: When is the event? I'm going to do London to Brighton next year. Was meant to be doing it this year but it clashed with my cousins A-levels and he wants to do it with me. I did, however, register for a triathlon yesterday!! Mid August - should be grand. Just need to get back into the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The park has WiFi! The sun is beating down and I feel great! After a night of feeling awful because some creeps creeped on me the other day I actually feel OK sitting on my blanket, on the grass, in the park, in the sun. And with glorious WiFi.

And I bought myself a new pair of shoes, and a cardigan, both badly needed, to cheer myself up. I smiled at anyone looking my way, and I seem to have improved my mood with it. I'm still a bit wary of the people around me, especially guys, but I really hope this good feeling sticks for a bit. As well as this glorious sunshine.

Happy cycles, and walks and runs, and ice creams to you all. :PAC:

Sullivlo - July 31! What tri are you doing?

Sullivlo - July 31! What tri are you doing?

Fermoy/ Blackwater. It's a sprint but with a 6km run. Nice route. Run fairly flat. Cycle is a 10km drag and a 10km descent. Swim is 250 upstream, 500 downstream. Excited.

Best of luck! Sounds like a good one to start with. Don't think I'll be doing any myself this year but we'll see late season. Need to get the little guy taking a bottle very soon so I can leave him with his dad for more than an hour so I can train...

Best of luck! Sounds like a good one to start with. Don't think I'll be doing any myself this year but we'll see late season. Need to get the little guy taking a bottle very soon so I can leave him with his dad for more than an hour so I can train...

Ah yeah, completely understandable. I reckon if I ever kids I'll just end up spending all day staring at how amazing they are.

Tbh I could probably push myself for an Olympic. But I only just got my 5km run done. It would be a big ask to make 10km this year with other events I have planned. Also I haven't been in a pool in 18 months because of my shoulder. When I was in the pool then though I was knocking out 1km in ~17 mins. Not world beating but I was happy with that. It took a few weeks to build up to that but I'm physically fitter (lung capacity, resting heart rate) and a bit lighter, so hopefully the same can happen.

This year to date my cycling has been about endurance and distance. I may do a few HIIT sessions on the turbo to work on speed.

My issue is time. I have a few charity cycles I want to do. I also want to do a sailing course. And I'm doing support crew for some friends for the Race Around Ireland, so some weekends taken up with training for that! And of course, inconsiderate friends getting married :p

Maybe over the winter I'll switch focus to running and build up speed and distance! That way the pain I know I'll get in my legs won't really impact any other bits of training!

Cycling in the morning. Need to be up in 4 hours. 100km in Wicklow. Blessington, lap of the lakes, Sally gap, Wicklow gap, Hollywood hill & back to Blessington. A smidge over 100km and my first time to go over the gaps!! Nervous but excited.

• Advertisement

The weather is unreal! Yesterday was one of the greatest days I've ever had on the bike. Amazing day.

Left the house at 7, didn't get home until 7! We took it super handy and just enjoyed the weather and stunning scenery.

My car broke down though when I tried to drive home! Thankfully we got it started after pushing it for a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think I've broken a bone in my foot. :(

I'll be so annoyed if I have. I was really getting in to the swing of things in the gym and the thought of a cast is absolutely killing me. I have to go to the dentist tomorrow so I might have to wait until Friday to get to casualty if it's still bad.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think I've broken a bone in my foot. :(

I'll be so annoyed if I have. I was really getting in to the swing of things in the gym and the thought of a cast is absolutely killing me. I have to go to the dentist tomorrow so I might have to wait until Friday to get to casualty if it's still bad.

If the dentist has an X-ray machine maybe just ask him to scan your foot? I'm sure that between us all we can check the photo to see if it's broken.

That sucks. I broke my foot last year. I wasn't in a cast though. Just splinted my foot as it was up under my toe. I was on a crutch for a few weeks. Which made work great craic.

If the dentist has an X-ray machine maybe just ask him to scan your foot? I'm sure that between us all we can check the photo to see if it's broken.

That sucks. I broke my foot last year. I wasn't in a cast though. Just splinted my foot as it was up under my toe. I was on a crutch for a few weeks. Which made work great craic.

I was in a cast last September too and I hated every second of it. I have the crutches down out of the attic for use tomorrow.

I hope it's just a bruise on the bone but no bruising has actually shown up. There's no swelling either. I can bare very little weight and it feels a bit odd when I do put a little weight on it.

There was a bird on my bus this morning. Like a magpie, not a derogatory name for a girlfriend.

Poor thing was petrified. As was I. Turns out I have a very irrational fear of birds flying in enclosed spaces. The upper deck of a busy Dublin bus was not the ideal time to realise this.

You know that feeling where you think you're going slightly mad. But if you were really mad you wouldn't be aware of it. That's me right now. I think I just have to accept I'm a bloody weirdo because I've been saying in my head over and over "I'm a sexy ladybeast, with sexy ladybeast hands. Mwuahahaha!" Over and over.

And I'm on a diet, and I'm trying to quit smoking.

Now I'm on the train to Dublin and trying to learn to knit, and I keep looking at my hands and thinking "damn fine ladybeast fingers. Oooh yeah."

Someone should probably tell me it's time for my nap.

No broken bones thank feck! It's still very sore though.

No broken bones thank feck! It's still very sore though.

Can you stay off it for the weekend to rest it? Did you take my advice and get the dentist to X-ray it??

Can you stay off it for the weekend to rest it? Did you take my advice and get the dentist to X-ray it??

I'll take it as handy as I can. There's been an improvement overnight but it still feels like a nail being hammered through it when I put a good bit of weight on it.

I'm just so glad I won't lose any gym gains! That was my biggest fear. :o

• Advertisement

Oh it's awful when you've been training so hard for something (or even just in general) to have a setback because of an injury. If you have a setback because you have a cold or a chest infection or a physical illness that you just want to take to the bed on, you don't feel so bad. But when the break in training is because of an injury and you still want to get out and train, its impossible to shift your mindset.

Oh it's awful when you've been training so hard for something (or even just in general) to have a setback because of an injury. If you have a setback because you have a cold or a chest infection or a physical illness that you just want to take to the bed on, you don't feel so bad. But when the break in training is because of an injury and you still want to get out and train, its impossible to shift your mindset.

Yeah it happened to me in September when I spent 4 weeks on crutches. I'm the type of person who will sympathy eat and I undid half of the good work I had done! I was fearful of that happening again.

I have succumbed to laziness again loungers. Yes. This morning on my cycle to work I remembered that I hadn't washed my porridge bowl yesterday. So I did what any self respecting person would do in that situation.

I took a left turn (instead of right to go to work), cycled to a local coffee shop, bought a scone & a coffee (good news - it fits in the water bottle holder on the bike), and now I'm sitting at my desk enjoying a lovely coffee and scone while my porridge bowl soaks.

Win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I thought you were gonna say you bought a new bowl.
    No laziness there sullivo..you are washing it :D

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I thought you were gonna say you bought a new bowl.
    No laziness there sullivo..you are washing it :D

I washed my bowl, knife, fork, 2 spoons, my baby plate*, and my 2 coffee cups** (1 for instant, 1 for Nespresso) earlier. I won't be forced to have a scone tomorrow.

*my baby plate is an actual plate I had as a baby. It's Disney and amazing and at least 30 years old as I got it when I was born so I guess it was in a factory and a shop before then.
    **separate to the tea mug also, which holds more than my 2 coffee cups combined.

Yes. My desk does resemble a kitchen.

And also a wardrobe, as I store lots of clothes, shoes and sports gear in it.

Oh and towel, shampoo etc for when I need a shower in work.

I do sometimes wonder where there is space for me!

Oh god sullivlo I don't know how you can leave your baby plate in work! I'd be afraid someone would break it.
    (I'm still bitter about my lovely Gaudi mug from Barcelona getting broken and the person just threw it in the bin and never let on)

• Advertisement

It's made out of the hardest material known to man. I've dropped it many, many, many times (and that's only in the past week :pac:) and not so much as a chip on it. Tell you what, they don't make things like they did in the old days anymore.

I am happy I'm not the only person who has one mug for coffee and another one for tea.

When I was five my uncle and his kids emigrated to Australia. They visited two years after, and before they left my cousins designed a plate for me. It was some kit that comes with a plate that you draw on with special pens and paint. I've had it 24 years. It is my plate.

What sort of heathen uses the same cup for tea and coffee?!

What sort of heathen uses the same cup for tea and coffee?!

Ehm, me?

What sort of heathen drinks coffee? :) :P
    Hate the stuff.

• Advertisement

What sort of heathen drinks coffee? :) :P
    Hate the stuff.

My Mam loves the smell but hates the taste!

My Mam loves the smell but hates the taste!
    I'm the same. I also love coffee in deserts. It's drinking it I don't like. Upsets my stomach as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I had to do my first Irish oral exam in 16 years yesterday! It was a precursor to a job interview so I was quite rusty, though I loved Irish at school and was quite good at it. They allocated 15-20 minutes per interview but after 5 she said she could tell my Irish was up to standard and was happy to pass me :) Duolingo ftw

I had to do my first Irish oral exam in 16 years yesterday! It was a precursor to a job interview so I was quite rusty, though I loved Irish at school and was quite good at it. They allocated 15-20 minutes per interview but after 5 she said she could tell my Irish was up to standard and was happy to pass me :) Duolingo ftw
    Maith thu!

I'm going to need anger management classes soon enough if this mornings commute is anything to go by. In my head I had this fantastic facebook status update, but after a shower and a bit of time, I'll hold off on it for a while. Shame though, it was pretty great.

(I was going to excite Harry Potter fans by letting them know that the invisibility cloak does exist! It takes the form of my fluorescent raincoat that I wore whilst cycling to work today. Well, it must make me invisible, why else would so many people just move out in front of me?!)

I did shout at one person though. But because I got a fright. I was coming down Gardiner Street, probably doing about 30kph. The road was clear - no cars. At the crossroad (I think it's Cathal Brugha street) a cyclist just sailed through the lights, didn't look AT ALL. I managed to brake (which was difficult in the wet conditions) and swerve to avoid her, but she just didn't have any road sense whatsoever. She didn't even have a helmet on, so had we collided it wouldn't have necessarily been a pleasant experience for her.

Then a taxi pulled across the bike lane, having not noticed me. At least he apologised.

BUT THEN!!! An Airlink/747 bus pulling out of buses-are-us (my pet name for Busaras) just sailed out. I wasn't going at any speed as I had just pulled away from the lights. But it could have been bad.

Cycling in Dublin wrecks my head sometimes. It's frustrating because I am actually a safe cyclist!!!

Well done!
    Duolingo is great to refresh!
    I'm using it to brush up on my French grammar (I'm functionally fluent but I do make a fair few grammar mistakes) for a job competition I'm in for. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I've the Duolingo App on my phone.

It works by osmosis, right?

Sapphire wrote: »
    I've the Duolingo App on my phone.

It works by osmosis, right?

I sat in the restaurant in college all day long for my whole degree and somehow I'm now educated. So I guess it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I sat in the restaurant in college all day long for my whole degree and somehow I'm now educated. So I guess it works.

Grand. That's me convinced so!

I talked to my GP about a medication that I feel was doing me far more harm than good. I'm coming off it cold turkey now after twelve years on it. I got really bad sleep last night, after being awake for 36 hours the day before. And I've felt absolutely awful all day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement