Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

sullivlo wrote: »
    Just back from my first triathlon.

I. Am. Shattered. But really enjoyed it. Except for the absolute torturous heat for the run. Horrifically warm!

Ha. Just to follow up on this. Was initially aiming for sub 2 hours. I wasn't sure how things would work out route wise, transition wise, and my first open water swim.

I completed it in 1.28.09! Had I not been so slow running, it would have been much better. And I was over 8 minutes in transition altogether. But now I know how it works, I'll aim for less the next time!

The cycle was unreal though. Averaged 27.4, still had something in the tank too!

Reckon with some run training over the next few weeks, and maybe a bit of resistance swimming (read: upstream), I could easily aim for 1.45 on the sprint. 10 mins extra in the swim, and then a quicker run and transition. Totally doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I've finally narrowed down what I want to do with my life and I'm underqualified for it! :pac:
    I applied for a job in the migrant centre in Dublin and in the refugee council.

It was an internship but I would've poured all of my energy into it as I saw it as a way into to that kind of work which is where I really feel my passion lies, either that or environmental mental issues. The two are closely connected really.

Now, it wasn't stated that languages (Arabic and French) and an understanding of immigration law was a requirement but it did state that it was an advantage. Now I don't have either of these but I filled the criteria for the rest but I understand it would be easier to take someone on who had these qualifications (as it's a shortlisting process).

The interview is on the 10th so I'm unlikely to hear anything if I haven't heard anything already. And the other internship I was a day late submitting my application because I completely forgot to look them up for vacancies. At least now I know the areas I need to brush up on for next time.

I'd just be so delighted to have gotten the position, even if it was in Dublin and it would be a struggle to stay up there financially.
    I suppose I'm not mad where I'm working at the moment as it has no relation to where I want to be.
    Ah, adult life.:)

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My hairdresser is gone :(:(

I rang to make an appointment and they said he finished there about 3 weeks ago. The receptionist said she didn't know where he was gone so I'm assuming he's in a new place and she didn't want to lose business. I don't know his surname so I don't know how to find him. :(

Did you get your hair cut?

I've finally narrowed down what I want to do with my life and I'm underqualified for it! :pac:
    I applied for a job in the migrant centre in Dublin and in the refugee council.

It was an internship but I would've poured all of my energy into it as I saw it as a way into to that kind of work which is where I really feel my passion lies, either that or environmental mental issues. The two are closely connected really.

Now, it wasn't stated that languages (Arabic and French) and an understanding of immigration law was a requirement but it did state that it was an advantage. Now I don't have either of these but I filled the criteria for the rest but I understand it would be easier to take someone on who had these qualifications (as it's a shortlisting process).

The interview is on the 10th so I'm unlikely to hear anything if I haven't heard anything already. And the other internship I was a day late submitting my application because I completely forgot to look them up for vacancies. At least now I know the areas I need to brush up on for next time.

I'd just be so delighted to have gotten the position, even if it was in Dublin and it would be a struggle to stay up there financially.
    I suppose I'm not mad where I'm working at the moment as it has no relation to where I want to be.
    Ah, adult life.:)

Adulting is hard. They really need to teach you that in school. Who cares about Pythagorus therom when some real world things could be taught instead - maths that might be important or useful. Tax calculator or something. Or maybe a "life skills" subject where you learn the basics of adulting. Some ground rules for life. Basic things - how not to be the housemate everyone hates; the judicial system in Ireland; how to write a killer CV. Basic things that "kids these days" can't do.

Anyway. Rant over.

That's super that you're applying for positions, and that you know what you want to do. Could you "upskill" (I hate that word) to set you apart from other applicants? Like do a night course in French? Is there anywhere you could volunteer to get experience in the field? For example, many of our undergrads go on to do PhDs. Funding is RIDICULOUSLY competitive - I think somewhere in the region of 12-15% of applications get funded. If you have funding and are hiring a student, you're more inclined to hire the one who volunteered in a lab for the summer to gain experience. Well that's the theory anyway - I don't necessarily agree with that! College summers were meant for fun.

Hopefully something related comes up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yes it's all a bit of a trick really - you spend your first 18 years where you can't wait to be an adult and then the rest realising having to go to work and pay bills isn't that great after all!

Yes it's all a bit of a trick really - you spend your first 18 years where you can't wait to be an adult and then the rest realising having to go to work and pay bills isn't that great after all!

Tax! During my PhD I was on a scholarship thing that was exempt from tax. I'm now on a salary and pay tax. Between paye and USC and the other bits I don't understand, I'm not much better off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Am I the only person that uses Pythagoras and algebra in real life situations? (For cooking, and in sewing, mostly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Did you get your hair cut?

I did! Got it done yesterday. It's lovely if I do say so myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Day 2 of me being in hospital this time I've come prepared.

Magazines, colouring book, food, a phone charger and a. notepad and pen.

I left my favourite book at home with dad for him to read :(

Am I the only person that uses Pythagoras and algebra in real life situations? (For cooking, and in sewing, mostly)
    I actually used it the other day in work... Kinda. But I've never heard of it being used in cooking or sewing! Do tell!

• Advertisement

pew wrote: »
    Day 2 of me being in hospital this time I've come prepared.

Magazines, colouring book, food, a phone charger and a. notepad and pen.

I left my favourite book at home with dad for him to read :(
    Oh no pew - hospitals suck. I hope you're on the mend quickly. You seem to have gone prepared anyway - that should be enough to keep yourself entertained for a while. I find with my colouring book I could be colouring for an hour and not notice the time!

Oh no pew - hospitals suck. I hope you're on the mend quickly. You seem to have gone prepared anyway - that should be enough to keep yourself entertained for a while. I find with my colouring book I could be colouring for an hour and not notice the time!

I was supposed to stay the night but I went into panic attack mode. I hate hospitals. I should find out what's wrong today and what to do.

I just refuse to stay here, I don't like hospitals and I'm just going to worry and stress in here for lo her than I need to.

I actually used it the other day in work... Kinda. But I've never heard of it being used in cooking or sewing! Do tell!
    Well basic algebra in cooking when I'm scaling up or down a recipe to cater for a different number of people than in the recipe, for example. Or when I have a cake recipe but I don't have the size tin that they say in the recipe - to calculate the quantities I need for my size tin.

Pythagoras and other calculations I use because I do a lot of patchwork. So calculating what size to make my blocks for the final size of quilt that I want, or to calculate how much fabric I need to buy or use.

Best of luck today, Pew.

Well basic algebra in cooking when I'm scaling up or down a recipe to cater for a different number of people than in the recipe, for example. Or when I have a cake recipe but I don't have the size tin that they say in the recipe - to calculate the quantities I need for my size tin.

Pythagoras and other calculations I use because I do a lot of patchwork. So calculating what size to make my blocks for the final size of quilt that I want, or to calculate how much fabric I need to buy or use.
    Makes sense. I never really thought that how I scale things up / do calculations as being algebra because it's second nature to me to do molarity calculations, and cooking is pretty much the same :pac:

Makes sense. I never really thought that how I scale things up / do calculations as being algebra because it's second nature to me to do molarity calculations, and cooking is pretty much the same :pac:
    Ah yeah, sure baking is chemistry!

Ah yeah, sure baking is chemistry!

Never trust a scientist who can't bake!

I get to go hoooommmeeee!!!

Just waiting on blood tests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We all use mathematical skills (including algebra) in many of our tasks on a daily basis, we just don't realise it.

Reasoning/logic are the most useful maths skills we have. People don't really realise that it was by learning maths in school that they developed and progressed these skills.

• Advertisement

We all use mathematical skills (including algebra) in many of our tasks on a daily basis, we just don't realise it.

Reasoning/logic are the most useful maths skills we have. People don't really realise that it was by learning maths in school that they developed and progressed these skills.
    I am copying this shamelessly from a friends facebook, but it does highlight that we use maths regularly :pac:

I have a pizza. The radius of my pizza is Z. The thickness (or height, if you will) of my pizza is A. So how much pizza do I have? What's the volume of my pizza?
    Simples; it's Pi*Z*Z*A.

I get to go hoooommmeeee!!!

Just waiting on blood tests.

Day 3 been sent to get more bloods.

Don't think I have any more blood to give at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Day 3 been sent to get more bloods.

Don't think I have any more blood to give at this rate

Ouch, that's miserable. Keep up those fluids, beer counts right :p

LenaClaire wrote: »
    Ouch, that's miserable. Keep up those fluids, beer counts right :p
    As a fluid? Yes. As a rehydration beverage? I don't see why not. Sure didn't I rehydrate with beer last week :pac:

LenaClaire has a point though - keep your fluids up. It's much easier to get blood from you if you're not dehydrated. They always find it impossible to get a vein on me for sedation after the prep for a colonoscopy because you're nil by mouth for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

If hangry is a thing then, hanxiety is also a thing. I've lost about eight kilos in three or four weeks. And if I haven't eaten in a while I get really anxious and start to feel sick. A small snack can keep it at bay for an hour or two, a full meal for longer.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    If hangry is a thing then, hanxiety is also a thing. I've lost about eight kilos in three or four weeks. And if I haven't eaten in a while I get really anxious and start to feel sick. A small snack can keep it at bay for an hour or two, a full meal for longer.

If the weight loss is intentional, well done. Superb achievement. However if its unintended, it might be no harm in chatting to your your doctor.

• Advertisement

The weight loss is intentional. I was thinking about it for a while, had a few days where I didn't eat much just because I was busy. I was in the pub and mentioned it to the barmaid. She was impressed and encouraged me. A few hours later I asked for a bag of crisps. She asked me, "Are you sure? You're doing really well." And I said, "You're right!" And I've been taking it really seriously since then.

The barmaids boyfriend, the guy who owns the bar said if I keep it up, he'll take me running and teach me self-defence in the gym he trains in. He's a big MMA trainer, extremely fit, and an absolute teddy bear. I'm going to do C25k once I lose a bit more. Then I'll go to him and he said he'd get me doing 10ks with him.

C25K is brilliant.
    I've done it twice.
    I'm going to do it again to ease myself back into running now that my daughter is born.

And there are plenty of apps and podcasts and stuff to help as well.
    (A lot of people use Run Zombies because it's fun)

And there are plenty of apps and podcasts and stuff to help as well.
    (A lot of people use Run Zombies because it's fun)

Ah see I'd love a chat with an auld zombie, so running away from them wouldn't be an incentive :pac:

But a major +1 on C25K. I've used it twice also, and it allows repeating weeks until you feel ready to progress.

There's also a TLL thread on running.

I'm going to work on my speed for 5k over the summer. Reduce it from 38+ to maybe 33. Then will work on distance over winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been building back into running since miniKirby was 5 weeks old - still only doing short distances but it's good to get out. I'll be trying to build distance over the next while and maybe try and do a half marathon over the winter. Did 5km in lashing rain this morning - had to take advantage of some baby snoozing on daddy time :)

• Advertisement

I've been building back into running since miniKirby was 5 weeks old - still only doing short distances but it's good to get out. I'll be trying to build distance over the next while and maybe try and do a half marathon over the winter. Did 5km in lashing rain this morning - had to take advantage of some baby snoozing on daddy time :)
    I haven't done my perineal rehab yet and I don't have time for running until exams are over at the end of June. Then I'll get back into it, I promise. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I survived the hen! :-)

I ended up being called in for work early tomorrow morning so couldn't go on the night out but I still went to the pre-drinks/BBQ and the foottee. The predrinks were pretty awkward because I didn't know anyone for most of it (and then got abuse for saying that I wouldn't change my name if I got married) but it got better towards the end when the three girls that I knew turned up. The foottee was actually fun because I was only on a team with those three girls and we were able to have the craic with each other.

I'm feeling relieved now that it's over but I'm glad that I did go. They're on a pub crawl now with their blow up doll and all that jazz so tbh I'm glad that I'm missing that, especially as a non-drinker.

Thanks for the advice and support before. It did help :-)

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm itching to give footee a go. TLL meetup?!

Is it too early to go to bed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is it too early to go to bed?

No I regularly go to bed at 8 or 9 pm on Friday nights :eek:

Am thinking of getting involved in off shore racing in sailing :):cool::eek:

Stheno wrote: »
    No I regularly go to bed at 8 or 9 pm on Friday nights :eek:

Am thinking of getting involved in off shore racing in sailing :):cool::eek:

I'm still waiting to do my course. Very exciting.

For the people starting sailing, depending on who you crew with you'll probably start off as "deck jewellery" aka "moveable ballast." Your job will be to sit on the high side of the boat when you're beating and weigh that side down. When the boat tacks you'll move, usually under the boom to the other side.

As you get more experience you'll probably end up as a grinder (you grind on the winches) or controlling the headsail. So if you're going sailing between now and your course, watch what happens with the headsail, and its telltails.

For the summer, whatever waterproofs you have will probably do you fine unless you're caught in a torrent. Get good gloves before you get any other gear, fingerless are best and get them in a proper chandlers. Also, bucketloads of sun cream, you burn much faster on the water than on land. As you go towards Autumn you'll want better waterproofs. If you race in any frostbite series you will want good boots, and good waterproofs. I was on the bow directing the boat once when we went down a wave, plummeted beneath the water, and another wave washed over me. I was literally up to my neck in water. I had decent gear so I stayed dry, which was great because otherwise I would have been unable to change for another five hours in 5 degree temperatures.

Sailing, and racing is a blast. I was never in charge of anything important, but I did the mast quite a bit, which also involved helping with the guy on the bow dealing with the spinnaker. Unfortunately, I put on a lot of weight and thus confidence in my balance, and couldn't jump around a deck like I could before. And so I haven't sailed in a while.

If you've any questions ask me. I could of course be telling you everything you already now. I did a lot of sailing (on yachts, never dinghies) between the ages of 11 and about 24.

Also, stick some energy bars and a bottle of water in your pockets. Not a big bottle of water. Some men are happy to piddle over the stern of the boat, anyone else might be waiting a while for a quiet period to get to the toilet.

We're trying to pick a date that suits 5 of us to do the sailing course. It's with a sailing school, but we know the instructor so he said he'd do us a deal.

Between holidays, cycles, runs, triathlons, festivals etc etc etc, it's looking like it will be December before we're all free :P So we might have to split up to do it.

I'm really looking forward to it. When we did our little sailing trip I was in charge of the main sail - pulling it to go faster, releasing it when it looked like the others in the boat were losing their grip on the rails and might fall in. I was looking at the ribbons flying and made sure they were all in the same direction. My friend who sails said I was a natural :D I steered the boat for a while too, but I was better at the sail as the steering was quite hard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm back with more questions! Has anyone here been to Rome? Would I be safe(r) from pickpockets with this bag? I bought it today thinking it would be good for my trip next week but wasn't paying attention properly and didn't notice that it doesn't have a zip!

I'm back with more questions! Has anyone here been to Rome? Would I be safe(r) from pickpockets with this bag? I bought it today thinking it would be good for my trip next week but wasn't paying attention properly and didn't notice that it doesn't have a zip!

I just used a backpack in Rome, but I don't conform to fashion norms :pac:

Has anyone done a self defence class? A friend of mine who is very good at training people in various forms MMA, and has taught self defence a good few times said when I'm a bit fitter he'll teach me self defence theories at his gym.

I think I'll do it (but sure I say I'll do lots of things.) He says the physical actions you learn aren't really that important, but it deals with how to address threat, move out of situations safely, be assertive and be aware of your surroundings. Which is probably what I'm more interested in that fighting anyone off (which I doubt/hope will ever be necessary.) Have people done these classes and feel there's value to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Has anyone done a self defence class? A friend of mine who is very good at training people in various forms MMA, and has taught self defence a good few times said when I'm a bit fitter he'll teach me self defence theories at his gym.

I think I'll do it (but sure I say I'll do lots of things.) He says the physical actions you learn aren't really that important, but it deals with how to address threat, move out of situations safely, be assertive and be aware of your surroundings. Which is probably what I'm more interested in that fighting anyone off (which I doubt/hope will ever be necessary.) Have people done these classes and feel there's value to them?

I took Tae Kwon Do and Akido for a couple years, when I was in secondary school. I would not classify them as self defense per se, but I think they taught me a lot of good things.

They taught me how to fall without hurting myself, how to get out of holds and what to expect in certain situations. I think it helped me be more self confident in how I carry myself and feel that I would react better if something happened.

I would recommend classes like that to anyone.

Before I went to bed last night I told myself "if I wake before 6, I'll get ready and go for a cycle before work".

Woke at 5.30. Still in bed.

Good intentions. Woeful execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I wish I had more friends. Specifically single female ones I could talk to about sex and dating in modern Ireland.

I love my best friend, but she's been in a relationship for eight years. I don't want to bore ger/not sure she gets it completely.

I wish I had more friends. Specifically single female ones I could talk to about sex and dating in modern Ireland.

I love my best friend, but she's been in a relationship for eight years. I don't want to bore ger/not sure she gets it completely.

Have we met?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Have we met?! :pac:

Not yet Sullivlo, not yet. :pac:

Not yet Sullivlo, not yet. :pac:

I feel like the only singleton in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

You're not the only one!
    All my friends,vast majority of my work colleagues, both my housemates..
    Start the sad tunes on the violins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think I'm in for an eternally single life. Oh well!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think I'm in for an eternally single life. Oh well!

Maybe us single TLLers could set up a commune?

I'm going to a wedding this weekend. I am not bringing a +1. I will know a good few others at the wedding.

Today in work people asked if I was looking forward to meeting a nice man at the wedding?! Wtf?! Is there something wrong with being single?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have spent the past two months going from being a brunette to silver blonde.

Tonight I finally got the look I was after :D:D:D

Advertisement