Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Staying for 4 nights in Rome in September with my sister. Can't wait! \o/

Oh lovely!
    I'm in the Ardèche for my holidays (that's where my husband comes from), it's very relaxing. I'm enjoying them all the more because I succeeded in the competitive recruitment I studied all year for. So I have a permanent job in September! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh lovely!
    I'm in the Ardèche for my holidays (that's where my husband comes from), it's very relaxing. I'm enjoying them all the more because I succeeded in the competitive recruitment I studied all year for. So I have a permanent job in September! :)

It's a hangover from school and college days but I always feel like September is the month for "starting" stuff. Knowing there is security in a permanent job in September is one of life's joys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's a hangover from school and college days but I always feel like September is the month for "starting" stuff. Knowing there is security in a permanent job in September is one of life's joys!

Ha. I'm the exact same. I base years on the academic calendar rather than the usual one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm listening to one of my favourite albums from when I was 15 and singing very loudly.

Bring It On by Gomez if anyone's wondering.

I. Am. Bate.

Did that fun run in Malahide Castle today. The inflatable one. Great craic. But I'm not half tired. I even took a nana nap this afternoon!

Think I'm going to go to work for a while tomorrow. I like to get my week planned and sorted whilst the place is quiet. An hour on a Sunday saves 2 hours on a Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I've been following a terminally-ill doctor in the UK on Twitter, Kate Granger. She has just died, aged only 34. She was diagnosed at 29. She started a campaign called #hellomynameis after she was delivered the news that her cancer had spread by a doctor who wouldn't even look her in the eye. The idea behind the campaign was for healthcare professionals to introduce themselves by name to help build trust with patients. Apparently a lot of doctors don't do this.

She also qualified as a consultant during her illness. A very inspirational lady. I feel so sad. RIP, Kate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Elliott S wrote: »
    I've been following a terminally-ill doctor in the UK on Twitter, Kate Granger. She has just died, aged only 34. She was diagnosed at 29. She started a campaign called #hellomynameis after she was delivered the news that her cancer had spread by a doctor who wouldn't even look her in the eye. The idea behind the campaign was for healthcare professionals to introduce themselves by name to help build trust with patients. Apparently a lot of doctors don't do this.

She also qualified as a consultant during her illness. A very inspirational lady. I feel so sad. RIP, Kate.

I was in hospital for a week, and I absolutely freaked out because of something like this. The nurses and doctors kept on coming in to see me, and check me out. They didn't say hello, they didn't introduce themselves, and worst of all they didn't say my name.

When I was in A&E one nurse made sure to check up on me, and chat with me (I was in a really bad way.) And made sure everyone called me by name. When I was in the ward I went two or three days where no-one once called me by my name. It was like I was a thing to them. Something to be poked, and fed with medication. After two or three days of this I just broke down in front of my mother when she came to visit. I didn't feel human anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I was in hospital for a week, and I absolutely freaked out because of something like this. The nurses and doctors kept on coming in to see me, and check me out. They didn't say hello, they didn't introduce themselves, and worst of all they didn't say my name.

When I was in A&E one nurse made sure to check up on me, and chat with me (I was in a really bad way.) And made sure everyone called me by name. When I was in the ward I went two or three days where no-one once called me by my name. It was like I was a thing to them. Something to be poked, and fed with medication. After two or three days of this I just broke down in front of my mother when she came to visit. I didn't feel human anymore.

That's awful. :( I think some healthcare professionals forget it's a person not a disease they are treating. Bedside manner is lacking in a lot of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My sister just got engaged to a lovely guy! :D

First reaction: Yay, I'm so happy for them, this is brilliant news!

Second reaction: Oh yeah I'll probably have to be bridesmaid, sh1tsh1tsh1t

Elliott S wrote: »

Her story is incredibly sad, but also inspirational.

I second the motion of #hellomynameis. Recently I had to visit the doctor. It was the weekend and my asthma flared up. So I saw the doctor in ddoc. He called me in, but never introduced himself. I was sick. I didn't particularly care, but in hindsight it wasn't best practice.

I had to see a doctor in my GP surgery then during the week. She left me waiting 40 mins and never introduced herself. That annoyed me. The only way I know her name is that it was written on the script and on the letter she gave me for work. She also wrote "dr sullivlo" on the letter, which leads me to believe she is a recent graduate with notions as she is the only person outside of work that has ever addressed me as dr. My GP insisted on updating my details when she heard I passed :pac:

But back to the dying. There is something humbling about those who try to better the world when they're living on borrowed time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I am just trying to think now, about meeting doctors.. I must say when I was younger I had to meet a few high end doctors and they were always loverly, always said Hello Ms. Milly as such, I am doctor and always asked me permission to do tests or stuff like that. And thinking now I only had two GPS and they were polite.. I cannot imagine someone not introducing themselves to you if tis the first time you have meet, no matter what the reason...

Enjoyed all the sunshine this weekend twas a smasher, especially when you have nothing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think doctors and medical staff are under so much pressure now due to staff shortages, bed shortages, crowding, poor management etc that they don't really have the time or energy anymore for bedside manner.
    Even in the GP's, it's just one patient after another, crowded waiting rooms.
    People presenting for the littlest things.

Still no excuse to not be polite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Delighted St James's are taking part. My husband is a patient there. Obviously the most important part is the medical care he gets, which is good. But a small bit of bedside manner would be lovely. It's been very cold and impersonal any time we've been there.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I think doctors and medical staff are under so much pressure now due to staff shortages, bed shortages, crowding, poor management etc that they don't really have the time or energy anymore for bedside manner.
    Even in the GP's, it's just one patient after another, crowded waiting rooms.
    People presenting for the littlest things.
    Milly33 wrote: »

That's exactly it. There is no excuse not to be polite.

In the case of the GP I saw at DDoc, I was the only patient in the waiting room and I was seen ahead of the time I was due to be seen. There was no reason for him not to say "Hello, I'm Dr X". He didn't even ask my symptoms, but relied solely on what the nurse wrote in the file.

I 100% agree that services are stretched, and that you get people presenting with the smallest of sniffles and wanting the rolls royce of treatment, but there are some genuinely sick people there too, and it costs nothing to be polite. If we were in a shop that was busy and the cashier was flustered and rude, we wouldn't hesitate to complain.

I actually got lucky at my GP surgery when I was puking. The doctor gave me an injection without checking for drug interactions, and when she went to prescribe the same drug to me, the system wouldn't let her as it interacts with one of the tablets I take. No big interaction - drowsiness - but it could have been disasterous had it been a big interaction. Had she taken the time to introduce herself, or even glance at my medical history, or even ask what other meds I might be on, it wouldn't be a problem.

I just don't get impolite doctors. Their job is to look after patients. How can they get the full story if the patient isn't comfortable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Oh I agree! You have the people getting 600 points in the leaving cert, all the hours in the library in college, what is it 5 or 6 years in college, and they don't seem to have the "people" skills. But in fairness most of the junior doctors we've seen over the last few years have been nice, have been thorough etc. But that will wear off after a couple of years!

[ Edit: sorry if I've offended any newly qualified doctors here! ]

It's the consultants! Have been to see consultants in 2 different fields over the last few years for both my husband and son. Each time it's sitting in the waiting room for over an hour, then in and out of the consultant's office as quick as you like, patients in and out like a conveyor belt!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Delighted St James's are taking part. My husband is a patient there. Obviously the most important part is the medical care he gets, which is good. But a small bit of bedside manner would be lovely. It's been very cold and impersonal any time we've been there.

I find it interesting that you say that because I've had the opposite experience with James's and I've been going there for years. All of the many doctors I've seen (minus one) have been lovely, friendly and fantastic and I could still tell you most of their names. I suppose it can depend on who you're seeing and what dept though.

EDIT: and that includes the consultants in response to the above! I have so much time for them!

Can we stop the planet for a while so that I can get off?

I'm genuinely perplexed at people. How can people think that it's acceptable to cause such chaos, carnage, destruction... Not just the acts themselves (which are, of course, despicable) but the absolutely awful, awful reactions of "rational" individuals.

I am reevaluating my friends after some seriously Islam-iphobe comments. Racist comments. People who think that Germany deserves the terrorism as they're letting asylum seekers in.

It makes me sad that I go to bed tonight remembering Nice, Munich, the train attack, the stabbing, the bomb, and the guns in Florida with children injured and killed, and now the attack in a disabled home in Japan. And the worst part is that I have probably forgotten some attacks? And I don't think it will be long before we hear of another one.

It makes me sad.

Unfortunately it is how the world has become.. I would think people are in for an awful shock in the next few years, didn't think id ever say it but a small war is on the way.. And unfortunately again the reasons for it are mundane and silly.. Politics, religion it has nothing to do with it actually wrong with the world...

I have a question. I am aware that it is going to make me sound like an angry singleton, which couldn't be further from the truth.

However!

I have noticed recently that when I arrange to meet certain friends that they insist on bringing their other half along. Am I being unreasonable in wanting a time to just sit and chat with friends without their OH there? Don't get me wrong, I am (mostly) fond of my friends OHs, but I became friends with my friends, not with their OH/them as a couple.

Am I being petty? I don't mean every time that we arrange to meet that it's a solo effort, but every once in a while it would be nice to just sit and chat and not have to worry about including everyone in the conversation or without watching what you're saying in front of them.

It's just something that irked me recently. I have a friend who I lived with for years so we have lots of history and lots of stories. Any time we have met recently, she has brought her husband along. Which is fine. But I have absolutely nothing in common with him, aside from the fact that we have previously worked together. We have totally different interests.

Another time I invited a friend to my house for dinner and she took it as an invite for her and her OH. Which is fine, I don't mind cooking more food. But I realised that I haven't seen her without him in tow since they got together two years ago.

I often end up feeling like a third wheel and it's not fun. I don't mind having the chats with their OH, but sometimes it would be nice to see my friends without them.

Am I being unreasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all, that'd drive me nuts.
    I know when one of us is invited somewhere , it'll say something like "bring the missus" :D if partners are welcome.
    You could approach it by suggesting a girls night out or a girly evening next time.

Doesn't sounds bad at all... trying to think now, I would never assume a dinner invite was for me and himself unless they said bring himself.. Same goes with meeting with friends for a catch up, dear lord sure he wouldn't even want to go anyway... As you say, more than not ye don't really have anything in common so sure whats the point... Even a few times girl friends have come over, he would normally head out or go do something...

Just looking at these on tripadvisor weak https://www.tripadvisor.com/TripNews-a_ctr.2016roompoolsEN

Just looking at these on tripadvisor weak https://www.tripadvisor.com/TripNews-a_ctr.2016roompoolsEN
    Thanks for that Milly. I wasn't planning on doing any work today anyway :pac:

*goes onto skyscanner to check flights*

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Not a bit unreasonable Sullivo. Those joined-at-the-hip couples are tiresome.

My major annoyance is friend-who-cant-go-to-the-loo-on-her-own.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Thanks for that Milly. I wasn't planning on doing any work today anyway :pac:

*goes onto skyscanner to check flights*

I know what a horrible thing for tripadvisor to do.. I have Turkey and Cambodia on the wish list. Jes they look fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

My mates do this all the fricken time!!

Not unreasonable at all!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Not unreasonable at all though I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my long-term relationship because we never bring each other when we're meeting up with friends! We have to be reminded to bring each other! :-D

I like my friends OHs in the main part and it's nice to see them every so often but if I want to catch up with my friends, I like it to be just us, you get so much better stories that way. There's also times when I wanr to confide in friends and I can't do that if their OH is around. Sure they might go back and tell them after (I'd rather they didn't but understand that some couples trek each other everything) but I can't talk if someone I'm not close to is around.

I'm not sure what the point is of the above but basically I'm saying, as someone who is long term coupled up, that I understand and agree completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Whose sick idea were bikini waxes? I just paid someone to essentially assault me. Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Whose sick idea were bikini waxes? I just paid someone to essentially assault me. Ouch!

I don't think I have ever recounted the story here but my one and only experience with bikini waxing was at home using home wax

I still shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Stheno wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever recounted the story here but my one and only experience with bikini waxing was at home using home wax

I still shudder

I still myself to sleep at the sounds you made mom!

(Last one) :D

I still myself to sleep at the sounds you made mom!

(Last one) :D

Mod
    Felix, this is not the standard of posting that we accept or expect in The Ladies Lounge. We do welcome male posters, however we do ask that they are respectful of all posters, and calling Stheno your mother is completely disrespectful.

Please review the charter before posting here again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was at the doctor today for the third time in seven weeks with ongoing chest/sinus issues.

My practice has two permanent doctors and a couple of locums, so I've seen three doctors about this.

The chest infection is gone, so it's all sinus now, which I've been plagued with for months, to the point of losing my voice.

The doctor today was fab, always introduces himself, I last saw him when I wrecked my finger so we'd a chat about that, then a good old google on sinusitis as he knows I work in IT, and a grand chat about how to cure it (move to somewhere with warm seas so you can swim there everyday :pac:)

Anyway he told me to start using salt water and I mentioned that I already gargle with it.

He gave me details on doing nasal rinses with salt water and I've just done one.

Yes, it's unpleasant while you do it, but already I feel a million times better than I did, I actually feel like I've a way of dealing with this now.

I know it's silly but I'm thrilled

I was at the doctor today for the third time in seven weeks with ongoing chest/sinus issues.

My practice has two permanent doctors and a couple of locums, so I've seen three doctors about this.

The chest infection is gone, so it's all sinus now, which I've been plagued with for months, to the point of losing my voice.

The doctor today was fab, always introduces himself, I last saw him when I wrecked my finger so we'd a chat about that, then a good old google on sinusitis as he knows I work in IT, and a grand chat about how to cure it (move to somewhere with warm seas so you can swim there everyday :pac:)

Anyway he told me to start using salt water and I mentioned that I already gargle with it.

He gave me details on doing nasal rinses with salt water and I've just done one.

Yes, it's unpleasant while you do it, but already I feel a million times better than I did, I actually feel like I've a way of dealing with this now.

I know it's silly but I'm thrilled

The sterimar spray is amazing. Love it. Have ongoing sinus issues myself, I never thought about using it again!

sullivlo wrote: »
    The sterimar spray is amazing. Love it. Have ongoing sinus issues myself, I never thought about using it again!

I have a thing called neilmed, gonna try it and see how it goes.

I'm not joking, just one go of the nasal rinsing has made me feel like a new person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I found that cutting dairy out of my diet was very helpful when I had sinus issues a few years back. Neilmed is pretty good too.

Oddly enough no sinus issues or hayfever since I moved to London. Maybe the pollution burnt it all away :pac:

I found that cutting dairy out of my diet was very helpful when I had sinus issues a few years back. Neilmed is pretty good too.

Oddly enough no sinus issues or hayfever since I moved to London. Maybe the pollution burnt it all away :pac:

I had this conversation with my doctor, and she poo pooed dairy and sinus issues, but I tend to believe it's linked tbh,

That said I used drink seven lattes a day and have given that up the past three weeks, and am as bad as ever so maybe she is right

Even so, I've been feeling desperate hayfever and sinus problems might sound minor but it wears you out.

haha I really thought Felix was your kid Stheno!! Why the silly comments?

Anywho hope you get some relief with the sprays.. Got one recently too after getting a bad bout of crappiness, the doc recommended some unmerciful yoke but I got a standard salt water one. One that you just push the button and it sprays (for someone who cant blow her nose the other one was a no no) I used it every other day and thought it was great. I hope yours clears up nothing worse than chest/sinus yokiness that wont budge...

Waxing oh ladies why, I have never tried this, never got it really. I remember my friend showing me how one beautician left her, I mean there was was still there... Nothing wrong with those razors with the groomer at the end of it, haha once you don't end up bald :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I have a thing called neilmed, gonna try it and see how it goes.

I'm not joking, just one go of the nasal rinsing has made me feel like a new person

It is horrible while doing it, doing it slowly is the key. I've been on a nasal spray and antihistamines as I had a long standing sinus issue, but using those medications and the rinse worked miracles!

I'm the same, very rarely have to use any of my sinus stuff, on it constantly when I'm at home, which is why I have a constant dull headache while I'm here! Down in Kerry, I seem to be fine though

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Waxing oh ladies why, I have never tried this, never got it really. I remember my friend showing me how one beautician left her, I mean there was was still there... Nothing wrong with those razors with the groomer at the end of it, haha once you don't end up bald :)

What's wrong with being bald? It's a perfectly valid preference for many women.

• Advertisement

Different strokes for different folks Sapphire, nothing harsh meant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Can it stop raining please??

Managed to make my Dad speechless on his 70th birthday Monday. Mam got him a new laptop and myself and my brothers got him a metal detector and we managed to order a cake which was made that morning and was beautiful! We were looking at doing a party, but he is friends with two different families who shouldn't be in the same room as each other, so we shelved that pretty quickly.

Wedding on Friday, and surprised my parents with the fact I will be wearing a dress etc - getting some teasing about it as I'm as tomboyish as you get!!! Then off to Dublin Sunday morning as I've a ticket to KK v Waterford as my club are in the World Games next week, playing both camogie and football, have some chance with the camogie but don't we'll do as well with the football as quite a few girls couldn't get off work.

Can it stop raining please??

Managed to make my Dad speechless on his 70th birthday Monday. Mam got him a new laptop and myself and my brothers got him a metal detector and we managed to order a cake which was made that morning and was beautiful! We were looking at doing a party, but he is friends with two different families who shouldn't be in the same room as each other, so we shelved that pretty quickly.

Wedding on Friday, and surprised my parents with the fact I will be wearing a dress etc - getting some teasing about it as I'm as tomboyish as you get!!! Then off to Dublin Sunday morning as I've a ticket to KK v Waterford as my club are in the World Games next week, playing both camogie and football, have some chance with the camogie but don't we'll do as well with the football as quite a few girls couldn't get off work.

I love when you manage to buy a present for someone that they love!

I second the weather proposal. It's seriously messing up my outdoors plans.

Oh I was just going to say "rebel girl 15 have a wonderfilled day on Friday!" but is it you are going to a wedding! Either way I am sure your parents will think your dress is loverly. Remember you aren't wearing pants when in the dress though, id be the same normally tomboyish and always get caught when getting out of the car with dresses on :) !!

Loverly with your Dads present too, has he tried out the detector yet? Do they work

The weather is on the way back I hear, tis suppose to be a scorcher next week... All over the shop at the moment here, in two weeks ish we have a big wedding up the county (going to one) back a week, finish work and pack up and move..Already thinking I should be getting thank you gifts for people, do this and that. I dont know how people move with kids, it must be a nightmare, we are only 2 and 2 animals and I am in panic mode at the moment thinking of this and that.. I know it will pass but tis just blahh

There is an alarm going off somewhere in my locality. I'm not sure if it is a car or a house. Either way it is making it impossible to sleep.

Too warm so I open the window, but too noisy to keep it open. Alternating between a sheet and a light quilt and varying degrees of pyjamas. Can't seem to find the right combination.

First world problems to the extreme.

Had intended on a pre-work cycle tomorrow but am resetting alarm for an hour later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Sent an email to a client instead of another trainee... a completely innocent one, but still, great start to the day. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Sorry to barge in like this but what factors contribute to Jogger's Nipple? I recently took a break from running (jogging, really) 5k three times a week. I'm trying to ease myself into that kind of mileage again, and have been out twice over the last week, including Monday. This morning, I noticed stinging at the nipple area and just a few minutes ago I noticed that the skin had cracked, contributing to the stinging, right?

I'm only a 34A but I always wear a running bra (that's why I noticed it again there this evening, I was pulling on a fresh bra to go out for a run).

TLDR: my mileage is on the low side, is my cracked nipple simply due to a minging bra that's full of bacteria?

A little bit of Vaseline is your friend, not that i am a jogger but i know from others. It is more or less carpet burn but not on your knees haha on your nippels.. the men get it too. Put some on before you run.. For the aftermath i would think some aloe vera gel would work a treat.. put it in the fridge beforehand to keep it cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Try Body Glide or other anti-chafe cream, check if your bra has a seam near the nipple, make sure you're wearing the right size too. If your bra is a little loose you can have some friction going on.

To help heal it up maybe try putting some lanolin on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Thanks, ladies!! I'm at that stage of life where every little thing that goes wrong is A Sign that it's all about to head south. It's great to get useful advice that I can implement myself.
    Now to sort out that achey knee... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement