Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Check that your sports bra fits you properly. If it's been a while since you ran, your breasts may have changed or your bra could be old, out of shape and less supportive. I'm the same bra size as yourself and find that I really need to be supported, I hate them moving at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I get that the cost of car insurance has gone up, but my renewal quotes are over 200% higher than last year. No claims, no points and turned 25 this year - what is going on?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I get that the cost of car insurance has gone up, but my renewal quotes are over 200% higher than last year. No claims, no points and turned 25 this year - what is going on?!
    The new AMA is with a car insurance person...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Mine didn't go up but it didn't go down either...still 1600+... I've the car paid for twice now :pac: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

God those insurance prices sound depressing.
    We don't pay a quarter of that for our car here in France.

Mine went up to €1,400 this year as I had a claim. Some ass-sh@t hit my car and drove off, leaving me needing a new door. Couldn't even open the door to drive it so they would have noticed hitting it.

I have fully comp so had to claim off that as I couldn't afford the €2,000 needed for repairs.

Dreading to see what my renewal this year will be now as I had huge difficulty with my renewal this year. Company A said €1,400 so I shopped around. I disclosed the claim and said that I had no claim made against me (I didn't) and company B offered €900. So obviously I went with company B. When the new policy arrived I read it before I signed it and the wording was different - it said no claims on the policy rather than against me. So they cancelled the policy and I had to go back to company A as nobody else would quote me as I had insurance cancelled. Have lodged a complaint but haven't heard anything back. I must chase that up.

Car insurance is ridiculous in Ireland. I'm genuinely contemplating selling my car and just using my bike and public transport. Between tax, insurance, petrol and services/tyres/parts it's costing me probably €400 a month, and it's not used Monday to Friday!

Also that insurance is for a female, 30 yo, 10 year full clean licence, 5 year NCB (rollback on the no claims meant I didn't lose it all). Horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Heart is with anyone getting exam results this morning. I wouldn't do it again for love nor money... that level of stress alone, especially going into the school and hearing on the radio/seeing newspapers saying 4000 fail maths...

On to bigger and better things though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Probably more of a rant cos I'm cheesed off rather than it being a consumer issue or a beauty post!
    But a couple of months ago I got some skincare products in Lidl or Aldi - I can't remember which. Irish made and I quite liked them. If they came back instore I would buy them again. I looked at the back of them to see where they were made in Ireland and if they could be bought directly again if I wanted to. Located the company and they sell their products under a different name, different packing and higher price on their website - I didn't mind cos they are a good product.
    Fast forward to a recent weekend and I spot the company with a stall at a show. I went over and gushed about how I was pleased with one of the products I picked up from their range they did with the retailer earlier this year. The lady replied quite snooty - we don't supply to them. I was shocked and thought I assumed I was mistaken.
    But when I went home I check the back of my product to their flyer and it's the same company! I don't know why she got like that, I was telling her I liked the product and I would have considered buying something from her stall before she spoke to me like that.
    Now I think I'm going to another show in a few weeks time and they could be at it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh I was just going to say "rebel girl 15 have a wonderfilled day on Friday!" but is it you are going to a wedding! Either way I am sure your parents will think your dress is loverly. Remember you aren't wearing pants when in the dress though, id be the same normally tomboyish and always get caught when getting out of the car with dresses on :) !!

Dress went fine thankfully - cousins were well impressed. Was playing in the World Games in UCD last week and my legs were covered in bruises afterwards. Got taken out as I cleared a ball and hurt my knee :( so ended up being told my a physio I couldn't play the last two games.

I've set up the fantasy football for anyone who wants to join, code is in the thread. Been away on holidays and heading back down again today - thinking of going swimming every day which will hopefully keep helping the bruises and my knee. Must use Arnica, have it and keep forgetting to put it on!

• Advertisement

*waves*

Hello everyone. Fairly quiet around these parts of late. I hope nothing is amiss in the real world which is interfering with boards quality time :)

Hope all new mammies, soon to be new mammies, those who are just enjoying practicing to become mammies, and others, are all doing well!

Things okay here. Busy in work. Sore tummy. Am doing navigation for the race around Ireland next week - looking forward to it! It will be a challenge but a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm trying to draw out these Olympics for as long as I can. Most fun I've had in years.

Oh I like that version, Lyaeira!
    Here in the south of France we have bands like that, it's called "fanfare", every June in my town there is a fanfare festival and you get lots of quirky cover versions. Gives a real party atmosphere.

I'm back to work (in a new job) from tomorrow. Eep!

Oooh new job! Anything interesting? How are you feeling about it? Must be weird leaving the bambinos.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Oooh new job! Anything interesting? How are you feeling about it? Must be weird leaving the bambinos.
    Secondary teaching! This is a work experience year, so I'll be teaching half of the time, and doing coursework for the other half. I have to write a mini-thesis this year and if I do well in that, and in the teaching, I'll get a permanent teaching post from September 2017.
    Yes I am nervous about leaving the kids, especially the baby! She's starting crèche from next week.

• Advertisement

Secondary teaching! This is a work experience year, so I'll be teaching half of the time, and doing coursework for the other half. I have to write a mini-thesis this year and if I do well in that, and in the teaching, I'll get a permanent teaching post from September 2017.
    Yes I am nervous about leaving the kids, especially the baby! She's starting crèche from next week.

Wowzers! En français?

Science I'm hoping!!

Wowzers! En français?

Science I'm hoping!!
    English! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Netflix is making a new series for Anne of Green Gables. I am excited!

I can't find a release date yet, but I am hoping it will release over Christmas, cuddling up with a cup of hot chocolate and binge watching sounds like a great plan to me :)

English! ;)

That brings back memories. Two summers doing TEFL. Great times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'm back to work next week and trying to settle babies in crèche. 1 year old is currently tucked up in the crook of my arm after waking with a temperature and the one that's still cooking is dancing a jig on my bladder knowing I'm trapped. Thankfully big sister is currently in her own bed. If there's nights like these next week I'll be wrecked!

• Advertisement

LenaClaire wrote: »
    Netflix is making a new series for Anne of Green Gables. I am excited!

I can't find a release date yet, but I am hoping it will release over Christmas, cuddling up with a cup of hot chocolate and binge watching sounds like a great plan to me :)
    I have to say, I'm torn about this! I loved the original series as a kid and I don't think a new one would live up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I have to say, I'm torn about this! I loved the original series as a kid and I don't think a new one would live up to that.

Yeah, Megan Follows and Jonathan Crombie will always be the real Anne and Gilbert to me, but I am hoping this new one is good. Netflix has a good track record on their independent stuff so far, so I am optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I wish my university was a person. If it was, I'd be fit to lamp it at this point. I am so sick of the rubbish that's gone along with finishing up, and I just want to get out of here with a piece of paper saying I'm smart. Please!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Busy evening / weekend of food prep. Had made some space in house fridge during the week so though fupp it, I'm going to use the freezer. I rarely do as it's always full of housemates frozen garbage.
    Lasagna (18 servings)
    Shepherds pie (5 servings)
    Chicken curry (5 servings)
    All in at a cost of 20/25 euro but there still isn't space in the freezer without me throwing literally everything out. :p
    Eureka moment. Two big freezers in work that are never used. Food is for work lunches. Store it all in work freezers. Bingo. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I've just discovered Zombies, Run! (four years after it was released) and I'm a little bit addicted. I went out twice yesterday to listen to three episodes and went out today (after walking to and back from town) for an hour and a half just to listen to three more episodes. I really like it, though I'm going to have to scale back just a little before I wear myself out! hahaha! How did I not get this app sooner, it's great for getting me to exercise anyway. :)

I. Am. Shattered. I have experienced tiredness in my life before but crikey I don't ever remember this level of exhaustion. I'm doing well to stay awake whilst standing up!

I'm about 24 hours home after crewing on a cycle race. I was support crew navigating and driving behind cyclists in the race around Ireland. We came first overall, smashing the Irish record for the race. Bittersweet though as we were only 0.04km/hr off the overall record. Already the lads are going on about the tweaks they're going to make to win the record next year, and I know that they will do it. Great bunch of lads.

They asked if I would consider crewing for them again. I said I would think about it. But I might have something else on that week. Such as my own potential entry to the race. I'm looking for a challenge and don't see why the race around Ireland wouldn't be a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Im unemployed. I joined a library in town today.

Currently listening to Beastie Boys back catalogue while applying for jobs.

Huzzah.

pew wrote: »
    Im unemployed. I joined a library in town today.

Currently listening to Beastie Boys back catalogue while applying for jobs.

Huzzah.
    Local libraries are unreal! I was unemployed last year and made time every week or two to go and browse through books. I would check out three books every time I went and went back when I was finished with them. I would rent one (auto)biography, one factual (like sciencey or similar) and one easy reading book that I could escape into.

The DVD range was pretty cool too. And they were really great at ordering books in if they didn't have them in stock.

And all for free! I'm not sure whether people realise just how good a service it is.

My only complaint about my local one is that there's no coffee shop nearby, so I can't just stroll around to get a coffee and immerse myself into a book.

Speaking of coffee and a book... I went out on Saturday with my Kindle and had a lovely afternoon sipping on coffee and reading uninterrupted for a few hours. Bliss. I'm going to schedule similar again soon. Now that I'm (mostly) commuting by bike, I'm missing out on quality reading time on the bus, so I've a backlog of books to read. I have some more time off to take in work so I'm trying to decide whether to have a vacation or a staycation. Vacation I'd be inclined to read more, as if I was on a staycation I'd bring the bike.

Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Local libraries are unreal! I was unemployed last year and made time every week or two to go and browse through books. I would check out three books every time I went and went back when I was finished with them. I would rent one (auto)biography, one factual (like sciencey or similar) and one easy reading book that I could escape into.

The DVD range was pretty cool too. And they were really great at ordering books in if they didn't have them in stock.

And all for free! I'm not sure whether people realise just how good a service it is.

My only complaint about my local one is that there's no coffee shop nearby, so I can't just stroll around to get a coffee and immerse myself into a book.

Im in the one in the Ilac centre because i had to sign on this morning, so im surrounded by loads of stuff. I know theres 2 other ones near me that im going to check out

I have no wifi in the house at the moment so this will do for the time being.

hopefully i wont be unemployed for long!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's not even 12 and I want to curl up under my desk for a nap...

• Advertisement

Dolbert wrote: »
    It's not even 12 and I want to curl up under my desk for a nap...
    Me too.

I got stuck in the cold room in work too. Someone came and tried to come in to use a machine I was using (I only noticed because she turned the light off when she was trying to turn it on), but whatever way she pulled the handle, it got stuck. I got out but it took a couple of shoulders to the door and a few random manouvers to the handle.

On the upside, it's nearly lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got my work contract renewed (if you call kicking a ball around with kids work, that is) for another year and funding has been made available for furthering my coaching badges! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I got my work contract renewed (if you call kicking a ball around with kids work, that is) for another year and funding has been made available for furthering my coaching badges! :D:D

Woohoo! Congrats!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Week 1 done - and I'm really enjoying my new job so far. Line manager is awesome and makes my head hurt when we meet the way she questions things. Going to learn a lot from her

Quick mod-ish question.

Who can see this post? I recently had the misfortune pleasure of being on the responsive site.

None of the stickies are visible :( They're linked under "important threads and charter" and I think it's clear that many new posters don't read the charter :pac:

Would the thread (& the ladygarden thread) be better un-stickied so that more people can see them if they're not subscribed to the thread? Or is it just a case that people have been busy IRL and haven't had as much interesting snippets of gossip for us here?

(crossposting in two threads in case of people only subscribing to one)

Quick mod-ish question.

Who can see this post? I recently had the misfortune pleasure of being on the responsive site.

None of the stickies are visible They're linked under "important threads and charter" and I think it's clear that many new posters don't read the charter

Would the thread (& the off topic thread) be better un-stickied so that more people can see them if they're not subscribed to the thread? Or is it just a case that people have been busy IRL and haven't had as much interesting snippets of gossip for us here?

(crossposting in two threads in case of people only subscribing to one)

I see this post, and the previous one of a minute earlier.

Also, legacy site, can see the stickies.

Mobile site, stickies.

Responsive site, no stickies.

Personally, I don't like the look of the responsive, and wouldn't use it, so the fact of not seeing the sticky threads there doesn't bother me. If you unsticky them though, are they going to get lost unless they are periodically bumped?

Also, legacy site, can see the stickies.

Mobile site, stickies.

Responsive site, no stickies.

Personally, I don't like the look of the responsive, and wouldn't use it, so the fact of not seeing the sticky threads there doesn't bother me. If you unsticky them though, are they going to get lost unless they are periodically bumped?

This is the question. It's just a concern that if someone signs up to boards and is defaulting to the responsive site, if they navigate to TLL, they're not going to see the off topic thread unless they click on the right place.

I'm wondering if the reduction in posts in the off topic thread is because of a lull in activity, or is it more that people can't see it if they're on the responsive site.

This is the question. It's just a concern that if someone signs up to boards and is defaulting to the responsive site, if they navigate to TLL, they're not going to see the off topic thread unless they click on the right place.

The weird thing is, I have only been about 12 days or so now, so I am a new user, and it defaulted to legacy for me. Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No problem seeing them but I'm using the old mobile skin on my phone.

It's my birthday but I has the sads. Coming into work was probably a mistake, I'm the one who always organises tea and cake and guess who's forgotten all about mine. Oh and my husband is off to the cinema tonight, his friend won tickets and I told him to go, but now I'm off home alone :(

#firstworldproblems #illbegrandafterfood

It's my birthday but I has the sads. Coming into work was probably a mistake, I'm the one who always organises tea and cake and guess who's forgotten all about mine. Oh and my husband is off to the cinema tonight, his friend won tickets and I told him to go, but now I'm off home alone :(

Well, happy birthday anyway! You don't need cake to have a happy birthday (but it does help)

I work near you and would gladly meet for donuts, if you would like.

Happy birthday.

I work near you and would gladly meet for donuts, if you would like.

Happy birthday.

Thank you :) Hubby is taking me out for noodles to make it up to me!

Edit: He sensed that I was a bit depressed so he cancelled the cinema :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Happy birthday! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Happy birthday and yay for hubby! :-)

First time presenting in front of the whole school staff tomorrow, around 70 of my peers, 30 min presentation/workshop - need to photocopy stuff tomorrow and finish my powerpoint tonight. Twisted my stupid knee today, simple turning to move back to my table so hobbling around the place, I really hope that its okay tomorrow as I generally like to walk around when teaching/presenting, and it'll look stupid if I'm doing it while hobbling around

First time presenting in front of the whole school staff tomorrow, around 70 of my peers, 30 min presentation/workshop - need to photocopy stuff tomorrow and finish my powerpoint tonight. Twisted my stupid knee today, simple turning to move back to my table so hobbling around the place, I really hope that its okay tomorrow as I generally like to walk around when teaching/presenting, and it'll look stupid if I'm doing it while hobbling around

You know what you are doing. Tomorrow will be no different. Just be confident, you've got this :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Best of luck tomorrow rebel girl :)

Dolbert, I hope you had a lovely meal :)

Good news for me, was supposed to be away in Kilkenny next week but it's changed, and I remain in civilisation :)

Smashed it - very happy with how it went, timed it pretty well as well, and the feedback from others was good. First time they have seen me doing it, so delighted

Now to mark two sets of papers that I've ignored for the past while!

• Advertisement
Advertisement