Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

This is not a good week in the land of sullivlo.

Nobody likes Monday's. It's a known fact. But this Monday was spectacularly bad. I'll spare you all the boring details but it boils down to this: our sterile environment in work where we do our work has been compromised and grew fungus over the weekend. All of the work I have done for the past ~5 weeks - work that I put off holidays for so that it would be ready for the next stage - has to be dumped as we have no way of knowing whether my sample has been contaminated.

Tuesday I figured it couldn't get worse. Challenge accepted. Got up as usual and cycled towards work. About 2km from my house this absolute numpty pulled across me and clipped my front wheel. I had a wobble and in my attempt to not fall I lost control of my back wheel, hit a pothole and burst my tube. Never mind, says I. I had spares, so I changed my tube.

The valve on the new tube was bust so it kept leaking air. I ended up turning around and cycling home (2km uphill on a flat). I'll get the bus! So I got changed, walked to the bus in time for the 8 minutes the RTPI app said.

And I waited. And waited. And waited some more.

Looked at the app. 9 minutes. Grand. I waited again.

It never showed.

At this stage there was about 30 people at my stop so even if the bus did arrive I wouldn't have been able to get on. So I ended up getting a taxi.

Today I was ready for it! So when it happened, I was prepared. Another work related issue that I discovered but people would prefer not to know. Oh also spent an embarrassing amount of time crying because someone I don't know or never met died. And to top it all off, shark week arrived with added cramps for the craic.

I cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Oh no :-(

There is nothing I can say to make the week any better, but you'll get through it.

Next week will be a good week though. The optimist in me tells me so.

(I have no idea how the optimist got inside me, but they're handy to keep around)

Oh no :-(

There is nothing I can say to make the week any better, but you'll get through it.

Next week will be a good week though. The optimist in me tells me so.

(I have no idea how the optimist got inside me, but they're handy to keep around)

Tbh it can't get much worse so I'm just going to embrace it and expect the worst - then I can only be happy if the worst doesn't happen :)

sullivlo wrote: »
    Tbh it can't get much worse so I'm just going to embrace it and expect the worst - then I can only be happy if the worst doesn't happen :)

I've been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it (no, honestly)

A week in hospital, having tests and procedures done, culminating in the registrar walking into my room in the evening and telling me "you know it didn't go well today. You may lose your kidney. See you tomorrow"

There is nothing like sitting alone in a hospital room overnight with that going through your head for thinking about the worst.

Nearly 2 years later and after a massive surgery, I am still here, with my two, original, somewhat functional kidneys.

Somehow we find a way through it though :)

Christ! At least you're alright now.

I had something similar happen. I was go karting and got rear ended and my helmet got stuck on my head. With some force we got it off but my neck was in bits. Went to the pub and forgot about it but was still in agony the next morning. At the time there was a VHI swiftcare in dcu so I went there to be sure to be sure before my lectures. Had the X-ray and the doc comes in and says "you're a scientist, you'll find this interesting" and he started pointing out the bits and pieces on the X-ray. One sentence I'll never forget:

"And see just there? Well that's where you've fractured your vertabre"

And then he organised for me to be immobilised and transferred to a&e. However as I wasn't a risk (not an unstable fracture) I was a while waiting. They left me on my own having told me I had a broken neck and I had no idea what was going on and I was imagining all of my life without being able to walk!

Thankfully a&e cleared the fracture (after more detailed scans) and let me go home with a fetching brace for a few days, but that time lying in a hospital bed alone was super scary!

It can be super scary, especially when you have nothing else to do, as you inevitably end up thinking worst case scenarios. At least it all worked out though!

For one thing, it made me rediscover and fall in love with cycling again :)

It can be super scary, especially when you have nothing else to do, as you inevitably end up thinking worst case scenarios. At least it all worked out though!

For one thing, it made me rediscover and fall in love with cycling again :)

I too have recently discovered a love of cycling that I never knew existed :pac:

To continue the bad week:
    - a further puncture on the way to work
    - cramps that aren't responding to ponstan
    - a discovery that an inspection we didn't think was relevant to us, actually is, resulting in major scrambling to get things sorted

Cannot wait for tomorrow :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

To continue the bad week:
    - a further puncture on the way to work
    - cramps that aren't responding to ponstan
    - a discovery that an inspection we didn't think was relevant to us, actually is, resulting in major scrambling to get things sorted

I hope today is going to be much better sullivlo, end the week on some bit of a good note

I'm on crutches and it is annoying me already!

I hope today went a bit better for you!

Plus, it's now the weekend, so congratulations, you made it :)

• Advertisement

I hope today went a bit better for you!

Plus, it's now the weekend, so congratulations, you made it :)

Today was actually alright! Nothing overly disasterous. Just an unfortunately timed yawn at traffic lights (the car in front washed his windscreen - screenwash does not taste good.)

Just an unfortunately timed yawn at traffic lights (the car in front washed his windscreen - screenwash does not taste good.)

On the grand scheme of things that's fairly minor! At least the day was better for the most part!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Being on crutches and on my own, fed up with them now and my knee has been sore all day. Grumpy is putting it mildly!

Being on crutches and on my own, fed up with them now and my knee has been sore all day. Grumpy is putting it mildly!

Still on crutches, had to go back to A&E as my knee was getting sorer, and now have a very attractive knee brace which has helped a lot. No idea how long this is going to be on for - waiting for an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon, have a NHS physio appointment for 10 days time

Any movie/tv suggestions welcome!

Still on crutches, had to go back to A&E as my knee was getting sorer, and now have a very attractive knee brace which has helped a lot. No idea how long this is going to be on for - waiting for an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon, have a NHS physio appointment for 10 days time

How did you injure it?

Have you watched suits? Great show.

Or the weekend of sport ahead of us with the Ryder cup and rugby and all. Oh and the GAA. Find yourself a pub with sky sports and enjoy.

How did you injure it?

Have you watched suits? Great show.

Or the weekend of sport ahead of us with the Ryder cup and rugby and all. Oh and the GAA. Find yourself a pub with sky sports and enjoy.

I was walking during lesson, turned to go and help a student and my foot must have stuck to the floor so my knee twisted and I ended up catching the table.

Was fine for a few days, but got worse. May have to find someone with a SkyGo spare login, nearest pub is too far to get to

Anything with wine. No, that's not the name of a show. Just get wine, find anything to watch, and feel better soon!

Anything with wine. No, that's not the name of a show. Just get wine, find anything to watch, and feel better soon!

I don't drink, but this could truly drive me to drink!

Wine is interchangeable with chocolate!

• Advertisement

Wine is interchangeable with chocolate!

Chocolate cake, mmmmm yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Chocolate cake, mmmmm yes!

Virtual get well cake...

5558852891_26943900b2_m.jpg

A teacher that doesn't drink... I didn't think they existed!

I had the plague last week.

I was even too sick/tired to watch TV. All I did was lie in bed.

Had to get bloods taken today to see whether there's anything off in my bloods that could explain some of my symptoms, and for the first time in my life I didn't pass out afterwards! Success.

It's the little things in life.

Trump.

Christ on a bike. Hopefully the video will be the final nail in the coffin of his shambolic campaign. Hilary ain't much better, but I would be more confident having her as the most influential person in the world over that numpty.

Trump.

Christ on a bike. Hopefully the video will be the final nail in the coffin of his shambolic campaign. Hilary ain't much better, but I would be more confident having her as the most influential person in the world over that numpty.

Hilary, shady as she is, would be the one to be more measured and thoughtful in her responses. Chump on the other hand I can see making some heated, off the cuff remark, that backfires dramatically.

His recently resurfaced remarks are the most disgusting comments I have ever heard, and anyone with common sense would be getting out of the public eye very quickly. He however, I can see riding the storm to the vote, but hopefully the voters will be repulsed enough to distance themselves from him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Here's the problem, there's going to be 3 categories of people when it comes to Trump's latest comments (based on any who were contemplating voting for him):
    1. Those who are shocked and disgusted and will refuse to vote for him.
    2. Those who aren't surprised and have just been, not ignoring per se but, letting all his awful behaviour pass by. They'll be 50/50 on what way they vote. This could be a last straw or just a "sure it's Trump."
    3. Those who still 100% support him and maybe even agree with him. He'd have their votes tied up even if he personally murdered a member of their family.

I don't know how much this'll effect Trump but I have a feeling category 2 will be the most prominent when you take into account what kind of people seem to be voting for him.

Mod

Cena I have moved your post to the gifts and festivities idea forum. You'll get better responses there.

Here's the problem, there's going to be 3 categories of people when it comes to Trump's latest comments (based on any who were contemplating voting for him):
    1. Those who are shocked and disgusted and will refuse to vote for him.
    2. Those who aren't surprised and have just been, not ignoring per se but, letting all his awful behaviour pass by. They'll be 50/50 on what way they vote. This could be a last straw or just a "sure it's Trump."
    3. Those who still 100% support him and maybe even agree with him. He'd have their votes tied up even if he personally murdered a member of their family.

I don't know how much this'll effect Trump but I have a feeling category 2 will be the most prominent when you take into account what kind of people seem to be voting for him.

I think last night was telling.

The surfacing of the video taping with his words definitely lost him voters to category 1, and probably strengthened some of the category 2 into category 3 (based on the amount of people backing him up publically, you can bet that a lot more back him in private).

Whether those who shift to category 1 will vote for Clinton - only time will tell. But his general demenour, his constant referring to Bill and the alleged rape victims, chastising Hilary for defending a criminal (when it was her job to do so...) and many, many other things... Hopefully the last 24 hours is the kick that the on-the-fence voters have needed to jump ship.

I, personally, couldn't respect any female who voted for Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I, personally, couldn't respect any female who voted for Trump.

+1 and I'd extend "any female" to "any person". Absolutely unfit for any public office.

Saw my physio yesterday, funny thing was the last time she saw me I was walking properly, but I turned up in a leg brace with crutches this time. Load of exercises to do, but it really shows how much work I have to do. I am allowed to start walking without the brace but with the crutches, but my knee feels so weird and weak without it, and gets sore easier. Must start ringing up about my appointment, was told I'd have it by now.

Given the fact I have five lessons today and have woken up with muscle pains in muscles I didn't think I was using, I thought it wise that I didn't go to work so Friday duvet day for me

• Advertisement

+1 and I'd extend "any female" to "any person". Absolutely unfit for any public office.

I am in a waiting area and just overheard a surreal conversation between a woman and her husband.

There was a news report about Trump and the whole situation, and she went on a rant about how it's the democrats and their dirty tactics that are ruining Trumps campaign... And that Clinton (Bill) is worse than Trump because of Lewinsky.

I'm actually gobsmacked.

Tempted to change my phone contract and go with the S7, £10 more a month but I've been told that I've passed my appraisal for last year, so my pay is going up :)

Tempted to change my phone contract and go with the S7, £10 more a month but I've been told that I've passed my appraisal for last year, so my pay is going up :)

Just don't get the exploding one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just don't get the exploding one.

Is there any other? :pac:

Stheno wrote: »
    Is there any other? :pac:

I dunno. I'm an apple sheep so have no clue what those samsung things mean.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I dunno. I'm an apple sheep so have no clue what those samsung things mean.

There isn't the s7 has been withdrawn from production afaik

The Galaxy Note 7 has been discontinued, and recalled (again) due to the explodey problem.

Samsung (in the US anyway) are supplying handling gloves, and multiple fireproof boxes to customers for returns.

As an 8 year Apple fangirl, I can safely say I have never needed handling gloves to use my phone. I use handling gloves only to protect the precious.

The Galaxy Note 7 has been discontinued, and recalled (again) due to the explodey problem.

Samsung (in the US anyway) are supplying handling gloves, and multiple fireproof boxes to customers for returns.

As an 8 year Apple fangirl, I can safely say I have never needed handling gloves to use my phone. I use handling gloves only to protect the precious.

Sure An Post released a statement saying that they won't accept the return parcels! Madness.

Sure An Post released a statement saying that they won't accept the return parcels! Madness.

Neither will dhl. I'd a friend take a flight last week and they wanted anyone with one of those phones to notify them!

Neither will dhl. I'd a friend take a flight last week and they wanted anyone with one of those phones to notify them!

I'd be less concerned about the safety of the aircraft, and more concerned about the sanity of someone walking around with one of those in their bag/pocket.

• Advertisement

Myself and the oh celebrated eight years together today, it was a lovely day :)

Myself and the oh celebrated eight years together today, it was a lovely day :)

Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They are asking anyone with an S7 to turn off their device completely when on a flight!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    They are asking anyone with an S7 to turn off their device completely when on a flight!

Note is out of service for good. I ended up getting it - but turn my phone off anyway when I fly

Managed to get up and down to Birmingham yesterday - really don't want to go to work tomorrow as I'm finding it way too much dragging around the place. Waking at stupid times again last night - time to pull out the strong medication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Not a wink of sleep and now off to the gym. Would only love to cancel it (and today in general).

I swear it was the non-drowsy decongestant I took before bed. Now I can breathe, but am exhausted. :(

My repeal the 8th tshirt and badges arrived today. No need to think about what to wear tomorrow.

Pulled something in my back after slipping at home, work has been a nightmare - work colleague who said she was going to go have food with me tonight cancelled very late last night, and because I'm going on holidays I basically have nothing in the house to eat. Parent evening tonight for me finished very late and couldn't get to the shop because I have no one to help me as I'm still on the bloody crutches. Every place to order in around here is pizza and I can't have it as I've been ill the last few times I've had it. Tried to order non pizza things, but it requires me to order a pizza??

So I'm sitting here listening to soppy stupid songs and feeling very annoyed at so called friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I hate going to the doctor, and have put off going even though I am fairly sure I have a sinus and chest infection.

This morning I tried to make a phone call using the calculator app on my phone. Time to head to the doctor's office I think.

Yes. It's time to go to the doctor. On the upside, at least you didn't set the alarm on your phone using the calculator.

Feel better soon.

• Advertisement

My facebook sponsored ads feed is full of pro-life bull. I wonder are they targeting anyone that has used the hashtag repealthe8th and paying to get their stuff put in our newsfeeds?

Advertisement