Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mars Bar wrote: »
    If I tell a hairdresser that my head is a blank canvas for them to do what they want then fair enough. However, when I show them a picture of what I want and then they go and put their own spin on it it really pisses me off. Just do what I asked and if it can't be done then please ****ing tell me!

I just needed to rant. It's probably not as bad as it looks but I'm paranoid coz it's different and it will probably draw some attention!

My whole experiment with silver blond reflects this I had a picture of Jamie Lee curtis with that hair color

I ended up with blue hair, dark gray hair, and ashy blonde.

Every two feckin weeks I was in.

I wanted to look like

https://www.google.ie/search?q=jamie+lee+curtis+silver+blond&biw=1094&bih=406&tbm=isch&imgil=dZuPedRE1gP5pM%253A%253BqBgDIEIRoAtIIM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.sheknows.com%25252Fbeauty-and-style%25252Fslideshow%25252F2867%25252Fsilver-hair&source=iu&pf=m&fir=dZuPedRE1gP5pM%253A%252CqBgDIEIRoAtIIM%252C_&usg=__KDZTlGTWp1btSd0mJiWD_tamlEQ%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjiirbi887QAhUJBMAKHfRlBZYQyjcIJw&ei=a_I9WKKpMYmIgAb0y5WwCQ#imgdii=dZuPedRE1gP5pM%3A%3BdZuPedRE1gP5pM%3A%3BY_pURUFvT8s4GM%3A&imgrc=dZuPedRE1gP5pM%3A

Not some yellow version of it after I'd followed all the recommendations to cut down on shampooing every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Stheno wrote: »

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sullivlo wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen.

No pics :D It would break the interwebs

There are certain people who, when their name pops up on the phone, I think "who is dead?"

I think we all have one of those in our lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

So, the second parcel is now in Dublin, but the first has seemingly disappeared. They will look for it again tomorrow, but not looking good at the moment :(

They found the first parcel, and I'm now just waiting for it to go into the local box. I'm happy again!

<rant> I know Parcel Motel are rather busy at this time of year, but it is no excuse for crap customer service. Had Hermes drop a parcel to them on Saturday morning (Delivered to a secure location). Tuesday afternoon, and no sign of the parcel anywhere in my parcel motel account. So, a simple question was asked on Twitter - Are there delays checking in parcels, and if so, what date are you at?

I believe that is a rather simple question to answer, and really should be plastered at the top of the website, in order to cut down on millions of "where's my parcel" complaints.

Many, MANY hours later, a generic response arrives - email support with the details. Unfortunately, half of the complaints to support, are about support taking days/weeks/millennia to answer emails.

Another parcel for me dropped from Hermes yesterday. I am holding off until tomorrow before I go absolutely ballistic.

Is pre-planning for these things a lost art? A plan that if the sh!t hits the fan, website team do this, customer service and social do that, and parcel operations do whatever it is they need to do to keep things moving.
    </rant>

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

OTOH, if the first parcel does arrive, this will be mine (was only £19)
    402680.jpg

Holy moly where did you get that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Looks like a Lindy Bop, it's beautiful

Dolbert wrote: »
    Looks like a Lindy Bop, it's beautiful

Got it in one!

Edit: linky to search results. It's the Lana in Purple Charming Print http://www.lindybop.co.uk/search/lana

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

First day back at work - observing all day which is a nice easy way to get back into it!

• Advertisement

First (of 5) work Christmas parties tomorrow night. We're going for dinner straight from work. I have nothing to wear.

The others are going jeans/top or casual-ish dresses.

I'm between a cream grandfather shirt with black jeans and cream flats, or a black chiffon top/dress with tights and silver flats. I appear to have mislaid all of my dressier tops, and I currently despise every pair of heels that I own.

Aside from the fact that I hate them all, heels not really a viable option as it's a 20 minute walk to the restaurant.

I will likely bring all of my wardrobe in and decide after I see what everyone else is wearing.

I hate decisions.

I'm between a cream grandfather shirt with black jeans and cream flats, or a black chiffon top/dress with tights and silver flats. I appear to have mislaid all of my dressier tops, and I currently despise every pair of heels that I own.

I like the sound of option 2!

So I got my hands on the dress this morning. It is rather stunning in person too, but the belt part of it is a little too tight. It's a button and elastic loop fastening though, and the buttons are a good couple of inches in. I may get a suitable thread and move the buttons out a bit to suit.

Got a second parcel of cycling jerseys too today. The funny thing is, the one they mislaid had all my parcel motel info on it. The one that sailed through the system had just my name...

I like the sound of option 2!

So I got my hands on the dress this morning. It is rather stunning in person too, but the belt part of it is a little too tight. It's a button and elastic loop fastening though, and the buttons are a good couple of inches in. I may get a suitable thread and move the buttons out a bit to suit.

Got a second parcel of cycling jerseys too today. The funny thing is, the one they mislaid had all my parcel motel info on it. The one that sailed through the system had just my name...

Is it wrong that I get more excited by cycling gear than dresses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Replace cycling with running and I'm the same :pac:

I hate trying to suppress laughter in situations where I shouldn't laugh.

Today in work I was doing some cell work. This involves being in a fairly sterile environment with everything being done in a hood that has super duper filtered air flowing into it to stop any bugs or nasties getting into the cells. It's grand once you get used to it, it can be a bit tiring but it's doable.

This is the kind of thing:
    laminar-flow-cabinet.jpg

Stheno as an aside this is how I imagine your hair to be.

Anyway, I'm sitting in doing my experiment in the room that has three hoods. One person was in the one to my right, one in the one to my left. We need to be pretty anal about cleanliness so any spills need to be cleaned up immediately. Anyway, I heard some expletives out of the guy beside me and it turns out he had spilled something. So he had to do a full decon. I was working away and he finished and went back to his experiment, where he proceeded to spill something else and had to do the whole thing again!! I shouldn't laugh but........ well I did.

EDIT We do not dress like that in the lab!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yeah sullivo only QA peeps and auditors are allowed into the lab with their legs out :mad: :mad:
    Sorry it really grinds my gears when they do that!

• Advertisement

Well then I'd grind your gears constantly in the summer :o

I was more referring to the heels. Today I'm in semi-heeled boots (about 2 cm) and I've had to adjust how to pipette!!

But but....acids and stuff!!!
    I know if you dont work with anything that could potentially get spilled on you then i guess its fine. But these people have no idea what they might be around and accidents happen!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    But but....acids and stuff!!!
    I know if you dont work with anything that could potentially get spilled on you then i guess its fine. But these people have no idea what they might be around and accidents happen!

Oh I know I shouldn't wear shorts in the lab. And I do actually have jeans in my desk in case I'm doing dangerous science whilst wearing shorts. Next step is to get me wearing gloves :pac:

Romcoms are awful dodgy sometimes arent they?
    I'm watching some xmas one on netflix cos I wanted to turn off my brain
    highlights include
    "no isn't an answer in my schedule right now" when she said no to a date
    and
    "i know we've only known each other 20 days but i turned down a major job opportunity for you. why are you saying we should have made the decision together WHY ARENT YOU HAPPY ABOUT THIS I'M STORMING OUT"
    and he's supposed to be the good guy

bluewolf wrote: »
    Romcoms are awful dodgy sometimes arent they?
    I'm watching some xmas one on netflix cos I wanted to turn off my brain
    highlights include
    "no isn't an answer in my schedule right now" when she said no to a date
    and
    "i know we've only known each other 20 days but i turned down a major job opportunity for you. why are you saying we should have made the decision together WHY ARENT YOU HAPPY ABOUT THIS I'M STORMING OUT"
    and he's supposed to be the good guy

I'm sat there looking at these lines in isolation, and going, WHAT?!?!

• Advertisement

The second one I shouldn't have put in quote marks but that was genuinely what happened in the movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Just stopping by to say I hope you're all having a lovely Christmas :)

Just stopping by to say I hope you're all having a lovely Christmas :)

Christmas sandwich.

Triple decker. Middle slice pre toasted. Side one: turkey, brie, cranberry sauce, red onion, bread stuffing and a veggie patty (sprouts with pancetta, cauliflower cheese, mustard mashed spuds and Parmesan roast parsnips). Side two: relish, ham, sausage stuffing, cheddar, spiced beef.

Toasted on the panini press.

Served with sweet chilli sensations and washed down with ice cold glass bottles of fat Coke.

Christmas is complete.

(Happy Christmas y'all)

Good Lord, that sounds absolutely unreal! :D

Good Lord, that sounds absolutely unreal! :D

No cholesterol tests for sullivlo in January anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Christmas sandwich.

Triple decker. Middle slice pre toasted. Side one: turkey, brie, cranberry sauce, red onion, bread stuffing and a veggie patty (sprouts with pancetta, cauliflower cheese, mustard mashed spuds and Parmesan roast parsnips). Side two: relish, ham, sausage stuffing, cheddar, spiced beef.

Toasted on the panini press.

Served with sweet chilli sensations and washed down with ice cold glass bottles of fat Coke.

Christmas is complete.

(Happy Christmas y'all)

Chrrrriiisssttttt I wish I hadn't read that while starving!!

Hope everyone had a fab Christmas. It's taking me a little while to get back in the habit of checking and posting again!

Twas good - loved having my little lad open the enormous stack of presents for his first Christmas!

Heading back to work in the morning, going to run to work just to make the day a little more pleasant...

Twas good - loved having my little lad open the enormous stack of presents for his first Christmas!

Heading back to work in the morning, going to run to work just to make the day a little more pleasant...

I walked home from work today. Then I remembered that I am dogsitting so I had to walk the dog when I got home.

I'm a little tired now :pac:

Hello all!

I'm still here, just FYI.

I took a couple of weeks off boards during the break to not worry about anything for a while, but that didn't quite work, so I'll start catching up tomorrow.

Unless there's something that I absolutely must know now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Guys quick query, as I'm not sure I'm justified in being annoying about this. According to my mum, I'm overreacting but I'd like yer opinions.
    So, I recently left a job as I wasn't happy working there. However, since I left I've meet up a couple times with a guy that works there that I got on with.
    We were out recently (went sightseeing/touristy thing) and one of the girls from that place saw us and the following work day told pretty much the entire office that she had seen us out together. (Prior to this, no one there was aware).
    Am I wrong to think she was being rude to do this? It wasn't like she went to him and mentioned it first or anything like that. It wasn't her business or news to spread.

Anyway he's not too bothered so I guess it's fine but I think it was a sneaky thing on her part to do. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement

Its not a great thing to do but id say she just thought it would be a great piece of office goss.
    Its annoying yes, but I wouldnt get too wound up over it.

If it were me in your shoes i'd just think "oh for fxk sake woman"and move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Its not a great thing to do but id say she just thought it would be a great piece of office goss.
    Its annoying yes, but I wouldnt get too wound up over it.

If it were me in your shoes i'd just think "oh for fxk sake woman"and move on

I know, at least I don't work there anymore so it's grand, just annoyed me more than anything. I know it goes on in offices, but I just hate that kind of behaviour. :)

Got my flu jab this morning. I had been meaning to get it for ages but there was always something else. I went to the chemist in town and they did it on the spot. Fantastic service. However I now have a dead arm, and the place on my arm where he put the plaster does not match to the place on my arm where the needle mark is :pac:

Ah well! At least he tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Long time no post, but wanted to let all you lovely people know that Captain Albection/Carsinian Thau and I got engaged today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Long time no post, but wanted to let all you lovely people know that Captain Albection/Carsinian Thau and I got engaged today! :D

Congrats to you both :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Whooo! Congrats!

This has been the most stressful month of my career ever, and the worst is yet to come. 3.5 hour parents evening tomorrow with no breaks :eek::eek::eek:

Woohoo, congratulations to both of ye :)

Whooo! Congrats!

This has been the most stressful month of my career ever, and the worst is yet to come. 3.5 hour parents evening tomorrow with no breaks :eek::eek::eek:

Thank you! Also, you can totally do it. You shall be fabulous and they will shower you in compliments and cake.

Congrats to you both :)
    Woohoo, congratulations to both of ye :)

Many thanks, lovely lounge folk! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Congrats PR! Great news!

Congratulations! :D

Ahhhhh no way congrats!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I'm so happy for you both <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was never really worried about getting grey hairs. My natural hair colour is medium to dark blonde and I get highlights maybe twice a year just to brighten it up a bit. I just assumed that when I eventually got greys that they wouldn't really be noticeable amongst my blonde hairs as opposite to someone with darker hair. But I have a few greys/whites right at the front of my head where I part my hair and they are standing out a mile (to me)!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm going to be an auntie again :D I didn't really care until my sis sent me a pic of the scan and I was all like "THATS MY NEW LITTLE BUDDY"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Bought tickets to a Harry Potter pub crawl in Dublin that's tomorrow night. With exam timetable as it is, can't go anymore. Just got messed about by a girl who said she'd buy them off me and has now changed her mind (when I'd already emailed them to her yesterday morning, but conveniently before she'd paid me).

And I pulled out of selling 3 to a friend so that girl could have all 6 like she asked for. Ffs.

Nearly 50 quid down the drain. Great. :mad:

Went to visit my cousin in New York last week, what an amazing experience - feel in love in the city. Landed back Sunday morning and have felt horrific until today - felt like the flu but I got the jab so think that has stopped the worst of it. I'm the person who is in short sleeves when others are in jumpers and coats, but this week I'm the one in three layers!

Work is bloody nuts - four people confirmed as leaving, and I know at least another five who are actively looking with possibly another 5/6 as well thinking about it. The staff we are getting in aren't as good as the staff are leaving - hate what the people higher up are doing to fantastic teachers and stripping them of their confidence

Flying home tomorrow night to surprise my mum for her birthday :)

Bought tickets to a Harry Potter pub crawl in Dublin that's tomorrow night. With exam timetable as it is, can't go anymore. Just got messed about by a girl who said she'd buy them off me and has now changed her mind (when I'd already emailed them to her yesterday morning, but conveniently before she'd paid me).

And I pulled out of selling 3 to a friend so that girl could have all 6 like she asked for. Ffs.

Nearly 50 quid down the drain. Great. :mad:

I can ask around if anyone wants them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

So, I dyed my hair blonde for about 2 years, and I am sick of the upkeep. I tried to dye it back to my natural color but I was not 100% sure what it was on the brown spectrum.

I picked a natural light brown color and it came out light Auburn. I don't hate the color, but it is way lighter and waaay redder than I expected :(

I don't want to dye it again and damage the hair, so I guess I am stuck with it for a few months and will have to try a darker brown next time. Totally first world problems, but very annoying today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I can ask around if anyone wants them?

That'd be amazing. Tbh, I'll take anything for them as they'll only go to waste otherwise!

• Advertisement
Advertisement