Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm weary after the weekends news stories. Tuam. Citizens assembly. Finding it difficult to comprehend and rationalise it all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Me too. I am so frustrated with Irish society in general. That people can still want to have anything to do with the RCC is mindboggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I just don't know how to process all of it, added to the fact that the RCC seem to be able to maintain the attitude of "we have done nothing wrong" while all this happens around them.

Me too. I am so frustrated with Irish society in general. That people can still want to have anything to do with the RCC is mindboggling.

I thought you meant rape crisis centre and I was like "woah kirby has changed" and then the penny dropped.

But yes. I'm amazed by how many people are remaining loyal to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

It's a long long way off, but I was softening on the idea of getting married in a church. I'm not a practising Catholic (who is these days?) and have been against the idea for years, but to appease OH's mother I was thinking I could maybe do it in the future.

Well, nope. After this shítshow of a week, and the secrets that are no doubt going to come out from under the rug that is Irish history, I won't do it. I can't.

Utterly sickened that I can't remove myself from their records. I do not want to be counted among your faithful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm weary after the weekends news stories. Tuam. Citizens assembly. Finding it difficult to comprehend and rationalise it all :(

https://twitter.com/AdrienneJoCo/status/837950001162645504

How can people bury their heads in the sand over this?

My mam reckons they'll uncover even more when they start working on the closed Grove Hospital here.

We already had a lovely humanist ceremony for our wedding in 2015, I highly recommend it S&S :)

My son (1 at the end of March) isn't baptised and never will be unless Christianity is something he freely chooses as an adult. I won't lie for a school place. If we stay where we are though we are in the microscopic catchment area of an Ofsted outstanding community primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I feel the same.
    I just cannot properly articulate my feelings; it's beyond comprehension IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Mars Bar wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AdrienneJoCo/status/837950001162645504

How can people bury their heads in the sand over this?

My mam reckons they'll uncover even more when they start working on the closed Grove Hospital here.

And probably similar scenarios all over the country.
    It's beyond heartbreaking to even think of the misery in which those poor women and their poor little children existed.
    And for the many who died, not even the basic dignity of a burial. Words fail me.

So. 5,000 posts later, sullivlo is still here! I had kinda hoped I would have some big mad epiphany for my next milestone, but alas, it was not to be. Instead I decided to post my 5,000th post in my fave forum on boards and say thanks a thousand to everyone for all of the chats :)

• Advertisement

Big mad epiphanies are overrated! Congrats on the 5,000. I may slowly catch up, eventually.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I just don't know how to process all of it, added to the fact that the RCC seem to be able to maintain the attitude of "we have done nothing wrong" while all this happens around them.

Once, just once, I'd like an organisation to stand up and admit they did wrong, be humble and pledge to do their best to repair the harm caused to the vulnerable they exploited and abused.

Instead we get barefaced lies as denials, attempts at whitewash, deflection, and nothing but stalling tactics every step of the way.

Every time. I'm just so tired of it.

That's exactly it. I could have a tiny, minuscule bit of respect for the RCC, if only they could stand up and say "Yes, this happened. We are not proud of it. We pray for forgiveness for what we did every day, and want to help to try and ease the suffering it caused"

Instead we get lies, denials, and stalling. I can't have any respect for them when I know that, even if there are some genuinely nice, honest members of the church. They, as an organisation, deserve no respect whatsoever.

I was trying to think of a word to sum up my current state of mind with the world.

I'm powerless.

There is nothing that I as an individual can do. Yes I can go and march on Wednesday evening (which I will do) but until there is a repeal of the 8th, as a woman I don't have equal rights. I can be angry over the Tuam babies, but I'm powerless to help. There is nothing I can say or do that can bring those babies home. The RCC are campaigning to protect the 8th because every life matters: the lives of the 796 babies buried in a sewage tank obviously didn't matter.

I'm powerless. Sad. Angry. Frustrated. Weak. Defeated. Hopeless. Disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The thing is, they are part of an organisation that still (mostly) stands for the same ideologies that allowed for the horrors (all of them) in the first place. While that remains the case, I don't believe there is much they can do to redeem themselves.

The thing is, they are part of an organisation that still (mostly) stands for the same ideologies that allowed for the horrors (all of them) in the first place. While that remains the case, I don't believe there is much they can do to redeem themselves.

Sometimes a simple acknowledgement of wrongdoing can go a long way to bring peace to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Sometimes a simple acknowledgement of wrongdoing can go a long way to bring peace to someone.

It can.

Most of the wrongdoing has been enabled by, and has thrived in, the environment and systems - of belief and otherwise - of the organisation. In my mind, that's what needs to change. An apology without actual, real, measurable change, is meaningless in the long-term.

It can.

Most of the wrongdoing has been enabled by, and has thrived in, the environment and systems - of belief and otherwise - of the organisation. In my mind, that's what needs to change. An apology without actual, real, measurable change, is meaningless in the long-term.

Uh huh. An organisation with child abusers within it, maintaining control of our schools. Y'no, with kids and everything.

An apology and a long term plan of how to make sure none of the bad things happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I actually went to Mass on Sunday morning, I hadn't been in ages and we have a child for Confirmation this year so we should probably be attending more often for him.
    Anyway the priest, actually it was the Monseigneur who said mass, he's a step above a priest and below a bishop AFAIK, didn't mention one word about the Tuam babies. Just a boring sermon based around the gospel reading. Not so much as one prayer for those deceased.
    Attendance at that mass was well down, only for it was an anniversary mass the front half of the church would have been bare.

• Advertisement

Why is it, when you're driving, you automatically feel like you've done something wrong when you're being followed by a Garda car, even when you know you're doing nothing at all wrong?

Spent 10 minutes being followed yesterday, with the driver in full on "I'm a Garda driver" mode, and it was probably more stressful than the driving test. I spent half the time worrying about every aspect of my technique, and the other half wondering what exactly they were looking at.

I was sound in work on Wednesday and I donated some skin for a study. I have two puncture wounds that are stitched. I now have to decide if it's worth risking doing a 90km cycle tomorrow, bearing in mind that I haven't been on my bike in three weeks as I've had the female equivalent of manflu.

Take the cycle very handy and do it on a route where you can bail relatively quickly if needed? I'd probably start back with something shorter than 90km though!

By rights I should yell "Rule 5" at you and tell you to get on with it, but I wont do that, for the simple reason I had the bike in to be serviced (and a new wheel fitted - thank you tiny component in freehub), then the weather was positively ****e, and so I've been a bit lax too. Stick a dressing over the stitches, get on the bike, and have fun. I still need to decide if I'm going tomorrow or Sunday.

We have a bus following us that I can get into if I fall back. Also hoping to collect my new bike tonight if I can.

By rights I should yell "Rule 5" at you and tell you to get on with it, but I wont do that, for the simple reason I had the bike in to be serviced (and a new wheel fitted - thank you tiny component in freehub), then the weather was positively ****e, and so I've been a bit lax too. Stick a dressing over the stitches, get on the bike, and have fun. I still need to decide if I'm going tomorrow or Sunday.

Tomorrow. Sunday is a day of rest.

• Advertisement

It seems I don't need to be indecisive when I have people to be decisive for me. I guess tomorrow it is!

Ooh new bike! What did you get? :)

Ooh new bike! What did you get? :)
    http://www.bianchi.com/it/bikes/bikes_detail.aspx?rangeIDMaster=271970&categoryIDMaster=271977&bikeIDMaster=269201

Full carbon, compact 11sp 105 5800. Had been looking for ultegra but reviews of the 105 were positive, particularly for the use I'll have for the bike (mid distance, summer riding). She's a beaut. Will convert my other bike to a winter bike with mudguards etc.

I *love* Bianchis, that is absolutely sweet :)

I haven't cycled since a super sprint triathlon last September, running is about the only thing I can fit in these days. Parkrun in the morning with the small fella in the buggy and then long run on Sunday.

I *love* Bianchis, that is absolutely sweet :)

I haven't cycled since a super sprint triathlon last September, running is about the only thing I can fit in these days. Parkrun in the morning with the small fella in the buggy and then long run on Sunday.

She is a beauty and I am in love.

• Advertisement

If you keep talking about it, I am going to get serious bike envy and borrow it.

I will eventually get my hands on a carbon and fancy number drivetrain bike. Eventually.

If you keep talking about it, I am going to get serious bike envy and borrow it.

I will eventually get my hands on a carbon and fancy number drivetrain bike. Eventually.

Wrong eh pedals. Yeah. Wrong pedals. That's the issue.

I'm naming her Minerva. Minnie for short.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's freezing today

You mad bro? Tis lovely!

Well it was lovely this morning, however I was out cycling and dressed for it. I haven't ventured outside since. It might be cold.

It doesn't look cold. It doesn't feel cold. That's good, as I need to go and wash the bike. I wouldn't want to be washing it in the cold.

It doesn't look cold. It doesn't feel cold. That's good, as I need to go and wash the bike. I wouldn't want to be washing it in the cold.
    Can I drop mine out for after you're done with yours?

Can I drop mine out for after you're done with yours?

Maybe there's a business idea there - bike valet. It wouldn't help my bike envy though.

Maybe there's a business idea there - bike valet. It wouldn't help my bike envy though.
    Oh Minnie hasn't been taken out yet. It's Tess that needs a clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Am I the only one who names things with a male name? Not that I name everything but my car is called Moe and everyone pulls me up on it that its meant to be a woman's name. Feck conformity!

My first car was called Dora (as in the explorer). My second was called the Mystery Machine (as in "I wonder why this car is still working"). My third was called Doc (as in the grumpy blue car from Cars that saved the day). My current car has no name.

My hybrid is called the Jolly Green Giant. My first racer is called Contessa (Tess for short). And my new bike is called Minerva, the Goddess of Wisdom (Minnie for short).

• Advertisement

Neither of my bikes have names. I never named my first car either (a Peugeot 206) though it did eventually get the nickname of "the moody French teenager" as it developed a habit of getting into a strop and stopping working for no particular reason, though usually while on the road.

And the bike is nice and clean again. All it took was a sponge, an old t-shirt cut into rags, a Dealz toothbrush, and a low pressure hose. Nice and tidy looking, just the way it should be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who names things with a male name? Not that I name everything but my car is called Moe and everyone pulls me up on it that its meant to be a woman's name. Feck conformity!

I give them male names. I'm female so I name my things with male names - this is logical to me :)
    My bikes are William, Richard and Michael(Mike the bike :V) and my car is Paul the Panda :D

My bike is Xena (thanks to RQ) but haven't really named anything else.

Haven't been out on the bike in months - will have to get out soon! Probably after the marathon at this stage though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

My car is called Samuel L. Jackson

My previous car (my first car <3) was Sister Mary Clarence

They're the first names that popped into my head when I thought about naming them!

Also hi! Yis are lookin well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

are ya well? coz you're lookin well :D

Mines called Moe purely cause its a Mayo reg!

Been to the gym, a handful of crazy fckers like myself going in today. I'm halfway through my program..gone over the half a stone in weight loss today. I'd say I'm on track woohooo :)

Had a really good morning in the hospital today.

My blood pressure is under control (if still a little high), my blood work looks great, and I don't need to go back for 6 months this time.

I've been cleared to cycle to Galway (I kinda have to ask permission to do these things, just in case they want to tell me I'm doing more harm than good), so I just need to finish my physical prep and shake a few more euros out of people. Looking forward to it now.

Had a really good morning in the hospital today.

My blood pressure is under control (if still a little high), my blood work looks great, and I don't need to go back for 6 months this time.

I've been cleared to cycle to Galway (I kinda have to ask permission to do these things, just in case they want to tell me I'm doing more harm than good), so I just need to finish my physical prep and shake a few more euros out of people. Looking forward to it now.
    Sweeeeeeet.

My thoughts exactly. Makes a change from the usual 6-8 weeks between appointments. The consultant essentially told me to get moving as much as possible, drink lots of water, and if I can lose enough weight, he can drop some of the medication. Sounds fair!

• Advertisement

I need a snooooooze. It's ok to crawl under my desk and curl up, right?

Advertisement