Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I need a snooooooze. It's ok to crawl under my desk and curl up, right?

I see no problem with that. If you want to make a habit of it, you need one of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I see no problem with that. If you want to make a habit of it, you need one of these
    *Adds to wishlist*

^^

*applauds*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

sullivlo wrote: »

Just imagine the conversation between the dad and mother when he got home :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ladies, have any of you come across colleagues who constantly undermine you and put you down? How do you deal with it?

I work a casual job (so don't come across this guy on a regular basis) as a manager and another guy became manager after me. Before that he was always arrogant but grand to deal with. Since the promotion he's f*cking unbearable. I can't say or do anything without being put down and I just can't deal with it anymore. For example, we do daily briefings with staff and he won't let me do anything at them. Paperwork to be handed out is taken off me so he can do it, I'm spoken over when I try speak, he talks down to me, etc. He's also a dick to staff which annoys no end as it's totally unnecessary.

He's not like this with anyone else on our level or higher though and I don't think that even see it. His past transgressions with staff have been ignored. I don't know if it's because I'm a woman or that I'm younger than him but I'm just not willing to deal with him anymore. He asked me once before, after a particular incident, if he was difficult to work with and (to my own surprise) I was honest and said yes. This has only made him worse though.

That ended up more of a rant than I'd intended but I'd appreciate any advice! I'll be working with him twice next week. Would also love to hear other stories so I don't feel like a complete victim! :-)

^ no idea, sorry. I can split out the post and send it to "work and jobs" or similar if that helps? Otherwise my only real advice would be to speak to your HR department (if you have one) or your supervisor, and to keep a record of all of his nastiness.

Is there a worse feeling that being really cosy in bed, lovely as toasty and ready to sleep.

And then needing to pee, knowing that you won't be able to get to sleep without peeing first, yet the thoughts of leaving bed to go to a cold bathroom makes you want to consider adult nappies.

^ no idea, sorry. I can split out the post and send it to "work and jobs" or similar if that helps? Otherwise my only real advice would be to speak to your HR department (if you have one) or your supervisor, and to keep a record of all of his nastiness.

HR adore him so no hope there. They wouldn't even get involved when he screamed at a member of staff and threatened his job in front of customers.

Don't bother making a separate thread, its not such a big deal to warrant starting its own thread. I suppose I'm hoping that someone's had a similar experience. Though, if you don't want the post in here feel free to delete it either. :)

Mostly I'm just ranting because its been bothering me for weeks how anyone could treat others with such little respect (referring to me and, more importantly, the other staff).

Is there a worse feeling that being really cosy in bed, lovely as toasty and ready to sleep.

And then needing to pee, knowing that you won't be able to get to sleep without peeing first, yet the thoughts of leaving bed to go to a cold bathroom makes you want to consider adult nappies.

I have had nights where wetting the bed didn't seem like the worst idea. :pac:

I have a terrible habit of managing to leave my medication on the other side of the room and only remembering it at the perfect nodding off point.

• Advertisement

HR adore him so no hope there. They wouldn't even get involved when he screamed at a member of staff and threatened his job in front of customers.

Don't bother making a separate thread, its not such a big deal to warrant starting its own thread. I suppose I'm hoping that someone's had a similar experience. Though, if you don't want the post in here feel free to delete it either. :)

Mostly I'm just ranting because its been bothering me for weeks how anyone could treat others with such little respect (referring to me and, more importantly, the other staff).

I find that the best way of dealing with this type of person is to not show them that they're getting to you by maintaining a professional manner with them in relation to your own role, and being afraid to call them out on nasty comments towards others.

Long week.

Longest training spin to date tomorrow. 110km before tapering next weekend. Bringing the new bike out.

Think I might have broken my finger though. I was giving my old old bike (my hybrid) to a family friend and I got my finger caught in the wheel and its sore.

Had an interview on Monday for a masters in education to go back to teach. I was offered a place on Wednesday. I start in two weeks.

Big changes ahead. Massive step outside my comfort zone, but towards something that I've always wanted to do. Uncertainty ahead jobs wise between teaching practice and stuff, but absolutely delighted!

That is awesome news. I've taught a couple of classes about Wordpress, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very rewarding.

Hope your finger is okay. We don't want injuries this close to G Day.

That is awesome news. I've taught a couple of classes about Wordpress, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very rewarding.

Hope your finger is okay. We don't want injuries this close to G Day.

It's my left hand so big ring so hopefully won't be needing to change down!!! It's my third finger so can just brake with my first two. I might buddy strap them. I'll see.

A lot of my current job involves teaching and I love it, I cant wait to get started and oddly I can't wait to start doing assignments. Might have something to do with needing to buy stationary... ;)

New stationery is part of the rules, absolutely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ooo congrats sully!

Note to self: next year make the Mother's Day card before the 110km cycle.

Better still, buy a card!

Sat down to craft a card and my legs completely seized up. Whoops.

This is going to annoy some people, but anyway...

I had a tasty lunch today. Italian panini, onion relish, emmental cheese, gherkin, dijon mustard and pastrami. The symphony of flavours was exquisite, between heat, sweet, sharp and richness.

Thank you to certain people for the Lidl tip.

You know there's a kitchen in the hostel, yeah? And I'm sure there's a Lidl around too. Congrats - you just got yourself a job!

Also I've just downloaded Sophies World to my kindle.

• Advertisement

You know there's a kitchen in the hostel, yeah? And I'm sure there's a Lidl around too. Congrats - you just got yourself a job!

Haha, yeah I deserve that!

Making my 80's themed costume for the night out after the cycle. I know that I have the competition won so I might tell everyone else not to bother :pac:

I have a black glittery dress that should be suitable for the evening. I'm not going to compete against your winning entry!

Now I feel like I have to compete with a glittery dress :(

I had a physio appointment this evening.

Oh. My. God.

My legs!! I had a cramp in my hamstring on the bike a few weeks ago and it was still giving me trouble. I have also neglected my stretching in recent weeks so my calves and glutes were tight too.

The rub was agony. But it feels like I'm walking on air. Legs are so loose!

I will sleep well tonight.

Yay for a good rub and air walking. Enjoy the nice sleep :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really should book a sports massage - considering it's been bloody impossible to find time for a haircut lately though it's unlikely to happen.

I really should book a sports massage - considering it's been bloody impossible to find time for a haircut lately though it's unlikely to happen.
    If you do go ahead with it, make sure not to have to impromptuly cycle to work the next day because of surprise strike action :pac:

Mercifully the RMT, ASIEF et al tend to give a bit more notice! :pac:

• Advertisement

If you do go ahead with it, make sure not to have to impromptuly cycle to work the next day because of surprise strike action :pac:

I had been wondering why it was so quiet this morning. If I fall out of the front door I land on the railway, so I tend to only hear the trains when they're not running.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have lost my make up bag.

I'm going to look rotten in work tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Back to the office today. The fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm sad having read about the FAI's treatment of the women's national team. :(

A link for those of you who haven't heard.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm sad having read about the FAI's treatment of the women's national team. :(

A link for those of you who haven't heard.

It's awful. Similar thing happened to the rugby team a few years ago. They had to get a ferry and a train and they arrived I think 5 hours before kickoff. Shocking. That's changed now. The irfu have copped on. Hopefully the fair follow suit.

Today is a good day. Today I get to eat all. of. the. carbs. I think carb-loading is my favourite thing about cycling across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have a sore tailbone and I don't know how it managed to get sore. :(

That's annoying. Hopefully it settles down. If it doesn't, get one of those donut ring things to sit on. They look ridiculous, and everyone knows you've a pain in your bum, but they do help ease the pressure.

@Sullivlo: Mmmm... carbs :)

Totally dragging hubby and nipper to Wagamama the night before the marathon so I can eat ALL THE NOODLES. :D

Hungry just thinking about it :)

I got Camille for lunch and they gave me a free portion of pad thai. Dinner sorted.

• Advertisement

Ooh tasty. I've the other half of that pasta bake for dinner, and some pork.

Was out taking child seat out of the car. Fluffy kitten neighbour cat shows up. This is an affectionate one - very much I'm here, play with me!

Open the door to go back inside, and cat bounds into the house ahead of me. Cue scrambling to close over doors between visitor cat and my cat (normally a scaredy cat, but jealous of this one, and not afraid to put her in her place)

Visitor cat goes to investigate the dining room, helps herself to dinner, before climbing onto a bench to stare through the glass doors connecting rooms, right at our cat. That could have been messy!

I eventually had to end the visit when visitor cat investigated the kitchen, and jumped into the (thankfully empty) sink.

(As an aside, a couple of days ago, I saw this cat back flipping across the road, trying to catch a fly. It is adorably crazy)

12.30pm.

Three coffees. Two breakfasts.

Still falling asleep at my desk.

Cycled 200km on Friday and 200km yesterday and I am exhausted. But in a super good way.

Almost a year ago a dear friend was involved in a life changing accident. He broke his neck and is now paralysed from the chest down. Yesterday he led our cycle back in to Maynooth.

I'm still emotionally unstable because of it.

Fantastic weekend though! Just glad I don't have many stairs to climb today.

I had a rant posted but deleted it all.

So I'll just say this:

RANT.

Oh and hope your run went well RK! I kept an eye on the tele for you. I was optimistic that I would be able to see you in the crowds of however many thousand.

Sometimes ranting is what is needed. I hope that either way the act of typing it out was therapeutic.

Well done RK!

Is it wrong that I am sitting here with my big noise cancelling headphones on, listening to music, and miming along with random lyrics?

I'm crazy, I know.

Is it wrong that I am sitting here with my big noise cancelling headphones on, listening to music, and miming along with random lyrics?

I'm crazy, I know.

No, that sounds like heaven.

Good. They're quite possibly the best headphones I've ever bought, and still going strong 8 years later.

I had them with me constantly when I was in hospital, and they were great for leaving you oblivious to everything around you. I learned to sit facing the door to my room so I could be aware of people trying to talk to me!

Finished in just under 5 hours. Hard work but tis done now :)

Good. They're quite possibly the best headphones I've ever bought, and still going strong 8 years later.

I had them with me constantly when I was in hospital, and they were great for leaving you oblivious to everything around you. I learned to sit facing the door to my room so I could be aware of people trying to talk to me!

I'm in the process of buying new headphones. I'm very fussy about headphones. I need two pairs:
    - one over ear, noise cancelling, with microphone
    - one in-ear pair, preferably ones that can go behind my neck (one side longer than the other)

My current headphones:
    - Bose quiet comfort in ear (going strong but lost an inner ear bud so not using the correct size so they're not as comfortable)
    - beats Bluetooth in ear sport (for running/cycling)

Recently retired:
    - seinheisser cx200 as one ear stopped working

I hate hate hate buying new headphones because they're so personal. I need over ear ones for college so that my ears don't get sore. I could just buy a headset with a mic but nah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement