Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Look at the injuries board process. It's inexpensive to get into, and is designed that it can be done without a solicitor. That said, when I went through it, I found the use of a solicitor to be beneficial, as they know the ins and outs.

If you know someone who can (informally) give you advice on how to proceed down that route, I'd start there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Look at the injuries board process. It's inexpensive to get into, and is designed that it can be done without a solicitor. That said, when I went through it, I found the use of a solicitor to be beneficial, as they know the ins and outs.

If you know someone who can (informally) give you advice on how to proceed down that route, I'd start there.

I don’t think I know anyone who can give informal advice :(

Then it might require a formal appointment with a solicitor to see what can be done, and what it will cost for their services.

I can't give a recommendation though. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

You should make an appointment to see a solicitor. Beware any "no win, no fee" bullshít (not allowed, those guys are chancers). They also can't say "oh I'll take X% if you win". They have to set out estimated costs or how costs will be calculated (e.g. hourly rates) at the outset (in what's called a section 68 letter).

If I was qualified I'd give you a hand, but alas!

I'm on a quiet enough bus to work and have a case with me. Case rack was full so got into a seat alone with said case at my feet, meaning my legs are over the other side of the seat. Awkward, I'm aware, but there are at least 10 free seats around me and I was going to move if it got busy. Next stop and someone gets on and sits beside me. Ffs, lady - why would you do that?!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

sullivlo wrote: »
    I was in an accident on my bike in June. I chased up with the insurance today to see what stage it’s at. I’m not going the damages route. I literally want my expenses back - bike, hospital, doctor, physio. Not a huge amount, but it would be appreciated for Christmas. Turns out the driver is denying liability and claiming I was at fault :(

I do not have the time or the energy or the resources to fight this. I will, but I genuinely don’t have time to bless myself at the moment :(

PIAB - they will look after all of it themselves and if the driver is denying liability take them for all you can get. F*ck that. You deserve damages. The driver was at fault based on what you said. Didn't you have witnesses? And didn't the guards come out?
    Literally all you do is fill in a form on a website and the solicitor looks after the rest. I will dig through my emails to find out who dealt with mine back in 2012 and I'll pm you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Been signed off by the doctor last week and this week - only for the fact I've tickets to see Katie Taylor fight in London I'd be gone home. Having physio, and that has helped hugely.

It is snowing here - don't think it will be enough to close the school though, but I've a physio appointment tomorrow morning which involve a walk/taxi then train journey then five minute walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm pulling a sickie tomorrow if it's like this, I refuse to take any commute risks at 31 weeks! Still snowing heavily in Islington.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Completely right - we have staff that will definitely not be able to come in tomorrow as they live in High Wycombe, the high parts of it, looks like 2 inches of snow there! Wish we had more - may venture out a little later, have my proper walking boots and need an excuse to get dresed at some stage

Balmy 3 degrees and bucketing rain this morning. Sludge everywhere but no ice. I went in anyway, trains were fcuked and it took half an hour longer than normal to travel a whopping 4 miles to work with a diversion through King's Cross. Should have just gone back to bed!

• Advertisement

Next time don't bother! Some staff didn't get in, they had 5 inches of snow - I woke with a cold and am now on my way to physio. Friend has invited me around to theirs later on but on the verge of saying no as I don't feel great and there is a real possibility of getting snowed in there of more falls

Oh trust me I won't be, I just kinda figured that the worst would be over after I walked my son to nursery and was on public transport, forgetting about the fresh hell that can be unleashed when there's a bit of weather-related shenanigans going on! 300 people standing outside Finsbury Park station at 8:40am because the tube platforms were too overcrowded to let anyone in and national rail was being shat on in both directions (signal out at Moorgate and really heavy snow in Hertfordshire). Roads were pretty clear though because of the rain clearing a lot of the crap, I worry about tomorrow though as it's to go down to -3 overnight.

On a brighter note... finishing up next Wednesday for 2 weeks off for Christmas then only 3 weeks left in work after that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The joys of a sulky child at the weekend. Spent a long weekend with the in laws but they got no snow. All around the Midlands where we live got loads of snow and all his friends were posting on social media about the snow. He was a pure briar yesterday!

Happy Christmas tLLers! I hope Santa is good to you all.

I’m not feeling the festivities this year at all. It’s all just a bit “meh”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to the turkey tomorrow & all of the associated things, but I’m just not in the festive spirit.

I went to tesco yesterday to get something and there wasn’t a thing left on the shelves. People are spending so much money on things that people don’t need or want, just so that people can get the 30 seconds of joy at opening a gift. It’s as much to make the giver feel good about themselves as anything.

I saw my friend and her kids today briefly. Even just chatting to her about Christmas was too much, so I ended up playing games with the kids. I smiled then, because nothing mattered beyond the next move in the game. But then it was back to normal.

Small house for dinner tomorrow. We’re invited to family for drinks in the evening, so we might go but I’d rather not. Tensions are high in the house we’re invited to. Christmas can bring out the prick-ish behaviour of some.

We have visitors arriving on Wednesday, and I’d honestly sooner eat sprouts than have them here. My aunt, who died almost 3 years ago, well her ex husband and the kids. The kids are annoying, but grand ultimately. I say kids. 17 and 19. But they’re part of the furniture at this stage so I don’t notice them. But it’s the first time in 2 years to see the husband because he stopped contact when he got a new girlfriend. They broke up, so now he’s back in touch :rolleyes:

First Christmas where I can’t wait to get back to work!!!!! I joke. I think I just need a bit of a break. It’s been a long year. Hopefully the downtime after the fuss of tomorrow is over will help!

That wasn’t meant to be a rant, soz!!

Rant all you want, Sully! I’m not a Christmas person either, and I’m not looking forward to the next couple of days, as I’m the appointed donkey/driver. Many runs halfway across the country ahead of me. Fun fun fun!

I hope you have as happy a Christmas as possible anyway.

Rant all you want, Sully! I’m not a Christmas person either, and I’m not looking forward to the next couple of days, as I’m the appointed donkey/driver. Many runs halfway across the country ahead of me. Fun fun fun!

I hope you have as happy a Christmas as possible anyway.

I usually am a Christmas person!

It’s the one time of the year that I have off from driving, so there’s small mercy that I can have some champagne with brekkie.

• Advertisement

I usually am a Christmas person!

It’s the one time of the year that I have off from driving, so there’s small mercy that I can have some champagne with brekkie.

I haven’t been a Christmas person in years, and I’m stuck on driving duty from y’day morning until the evening of the 28th, possibly without a break.

Happy Christmas loungers. Didn't get in the festive spirit myself this year and even yesterday surrounding by my nephews, giving and getting gifts I still just wasn't feeling it.
    Was glad to get home to my own apartment to my peace and quiet by 6pm. :)

I wasn't at all Christmassy until Christmas morning for a few hours and over it. I think having been off work since the 1st of December hasn't helped me - not looking forward to being back!

I'm at home with just the cat, waiting for my pasta to cook, letting a bottle of wine breathe, and watching what I want, with nobody to bother me, and nowhere to drive to. It's my only day off driving over Christmas, and I'm making the most of it. Everyone else is down the country, though I have to go collect them tomorrow.

My brothers social worker was visiting today, so went over to the folks to meet him. Have never met him before as took over a year to get a social worker assigned...mum and dad had met him, after her first meeting with him she told me ''I think he's gay''..."Ummm ok??" was my obvious reaction.
    So, today after he left, she asked me over and over again what I thought of him. I know she was just waiting for me to say ''he's gay'' as if this was a super important character trait. So I obviously did not, as it is not.
    Mammies. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone in Galway like to go ice skating today

I could quote my 2017 in numbers. Kilos lost (& gained with interest!!!), kilometres cycled, money saved (then spent), TV shows watched, movies seen, books read, calories burned...

So for 2018 I’m going to stop counting (or at least stop obsessing about the number!!) and focus on the journey rather than the destination. 2017 was an epic journey, but I spent so long measuring it I didn’t really experience it.

Happy New Year to all. May 2018 bring you all you hope for in all areas of your own personal journeys. See ye on the flipside.

You’re totally right. It is so easy to focus on the future at the expense of now. I’m with you on focusing more on the moment in 2018.

May you have a wonderful new year, Sully!

You’re totally right. It is so easy to focus on the future at the expense of now. I’m with you on focusing more on the moment in 2018.

May you have a wonderful new year, Sully!

You too. Hopefully recreate that great night eating pizza too!!

You too. Hopefully recreate that great night eating pizza too!!

Hopefully. One of my highlights of ‘17 was with you!

Had that most horrible task this morning of burying the family pet of 16 years, our dog Patch, who died overnight Wednesday/Thursday.

It’s surprising how you can hold yourself together when you are on task, and I had to do the same thing that was always done when you entered his garden of giving him a treat one last time. Afterwards though I struggled with the enormity of what I had done.

Farewell dear doggy. We’ll miss you.

Had that most horrible task this morning of burying the family pet of 16 years, our dog Patch, who died overnight Wednesday/Thursday.

It’s surprising how you can hold yourself together when you are on task, and I had to do the same thing that was always done when you entered his garden of giving him a treat one last time. Afterwards though I struggled with the enormity of what I had done.

Oh no Robyn. So sorry to hear that. Mind yourself.

Oh no Robyn. So sorry to hear that. Mind yourself.

He got to a really good age, even if at the end he was deaf, blind and arthritic. We knew his time was really up anyway, but it's still not nice :(

Ah I'm so sorry :( Not many things are up there with losing a beloved doggy.
    Run free little doggy, that big park in the sky is super fun I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Ah nooooo. There's nothing like losing a pet, they're really a part of the family. :(:(

• Advertisement

Forgot to pack my shoes with my gym gear, now sitting at my desk in bright orange running shoes.
    Thankfully I wear jeans to work so doesn't look THAT bad...but the runners are a big manky :o
    Might have to pop to dunnes to buy new pair of boots when they open....

Forgot to pack my shoes with my gym gear, now sitting at my desk in bright orange running shoes.
    Thankfully I wear jeans to work so doesn't look THAT bad...but the runners are a big manky :o
    Might have to pop to dunnes to buy new pair of boots when they open....

Last time I did that I was wearing a black dress and leggings with bright turquoise Mizuno running shoes... I gave in to the lure of emergency shoe shopping too :pac:

Last time I did that I was wearing a black dress and leggings with bright turquoise Mizuno running shoes... I gave in to the lure of emergency shoe shopping too :pac:

Thankfully there is a dunnes right behind the office. Normally I wouldn't mind so much but they're not new runners and they're very mucky. Needed new boots anyway.... :rolleyes:

Today... was a good day :)

Sometimes things just fall into place.

Today... was a good day :)

Sometimes things just fall into place.

Woohoo! Everyone deserves a good day sometimes!

I haz sinus infection :(

Two types of steroids and a course of antibiotics for me.

Never underestimate the power of seeing the sun, feeling the sun for a while to lift your mood. I arrived in Benidorm today. I’m listening to a mediocre singer butcher dancing queen, and I’m happy. It may help that it hit 23 degrees today, and I left a slushy Dublin behind. Woo!

Here’s a picture of snowy fields from the plane.

Getting my morning cup of tea this morning and the guy that works there call me 'Miss'

'MISS'

Way to make me feel old, kid. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Rooting for you and your little man, cbyrd. x

• Advertisement

That week has gone by far too quickly. This evening I played repacking Tetris (I won) and now my last major task is to drink the contents of the fridge (hello two cans of beer)

Alas, life beckons once more, and tomorrow I head home.

Still, it’s been fun. I feel more mentally and physically able now, and even on the lazy do nothing routine, I’ve walked more than 100km in 7 days.

Today was another great day.

I saw a seriously motivational talk, which brought me to tears. I had a lovely chat with the speaker, and it confirmed a few of my choices of late.

Then I met my friends baby for the first time and I am officially in love.

Sigh... Order some things from Amazon to Parcel Motel.

First, the order got split into 4, so 4 Parcel Motel charges.

Then, one of the items that arrived in today is oversized, by 1 cm on 1 dimension, by virtue of being boxed. The damn thing isn't actually that big. €7 charged just for them to take it into the depot, and another €8 if I want it home delivered.

It'll cost me that to go to Finglas to collect it, and it didn't even cost that much. I'm tempted to just tell em to return it to sender, and to reorder it from somewhere for direct delivery to here, unless anyone has any bright ideas?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I am such a fcuking idiot.

I ordered my boyfriend's present from the US so I could save some € but I stupidly forgot that its going to come with a US plug. I tried to cancel but no such luck. I also forgot about customs so I prob won't have saved anything after all.

I've been beating myself up about this all night and I'm so upset which is obviously an overreaction but I just feel like I've made such a fool out of myself and I keep doing utterly idiotic things like this. I won't sleep because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I ordered my boyfriend's present from the US so I could save some € but I stupidly forgot that its going to come with a US plug. I tried to cancel but no such luck. I also forgot about customs so I prob won't have saved anything after all.

I've been beating myself up about this all night and I'm so upset which is obviously an overreaction but I just feel like I've made such a fool out of myself and I keep doing utterly idiotic things like this. I won't sleep because of it.

Buy an adapter plug! My friend buys all her electronics from the states!

I'm like that. Such an overthinker. Buy a US plug and try to forget about it...I just tell myself now "It is done now, nothing you can do about it" every time I start overthinking like that. You'll forget about it when you see how much he loves your gift. :)

• Advertisement

God some new jumpers online last week from Only and Vera Moda. Don't normally shop in Vera Moda but they Only and Vila are the same shop pretty much so figured sizing was the same. I've other tops which are XS or S and the S while too big still look ok on me. 3 of the 4 I got this time where S...and they are like tents.
    What size is 'S' supposed to be? I would have thought 8 with 'XS' a 6 but evidently not...
    I love that I got an S from another brand last week and it is too small for me. :rolleyes:

edit: I see they do have a size guide which labels XS as a 34...which based on a size guide I've found is a 6. No way an 8 should be that big on me if their small is an 8...this is why buy online as trying on clothing is so frustrating. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Unless someone tells you they are pregnant, or goes into labour in your general vicinity, do not ask them if they are pregnant.

And when they inform you that they are not in fact pregnant, don't follow up with, "oh I thought you were because you have a bump there" and gesture at their stomach.

I hate people.

It seems weird doing what I would never have considered doing a month ago - replying to a direct email from the managing director of a company with a thank you for considering me directly, but I can't put myself forward for your job opening.

Just a week before I start the new role. Happy happy happy (which makes a change). Re finding my positivity in Spain really worked!

Before midnight I really should say a happy International Women's Day to the nicest women on Boards - those who frequent tLL.

Whether you feel you're inspirational to others or not, trust me, by getting up and pushing towards your goals, and fighting for anything you believe in, you're inspirational!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Has anyone every bought something for themselves after already having bought it as a gift for someone else?

I picked up an Aldi perfume last week as a gift from my son to his granny for Mother's day. I sniffed it in the shop, thought it was nice enough and popped it in the trolley.
    Just before I dropped it over to her yesterday I sprayed it onto my hand and once it had settled it smelt absolutely gorgeous! Now I want to head into Aldi after work to buy a bottle for myself!! It's the freesia and pear one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement