Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing up in the 1950s /60s-please help!

• 06-05-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there!

I'm in the process of trying to put together a gift for my mam, who turns 70 in June.
    I thought I would try and make up a hamper of old things from her childhood,all original where possible. But as good as the Internet is, I'm finding it hard enough to find items that IRISH kids would have had.
    To give you an idea what I mean, here is what I've picked up so far;these are things I remember her telling me about only;

1) The Radiant Way-school book from early 50s
    2) A 1945 (birth year) 6D coin
    3) School friend 1954 annual.
    4) A box of sweets from the era(not original!lol!)-found on ebay
    5) A cd of Irish showbands

I'm trying to get a Crolly doll, but they're hard enough to trace or very expensive!!

She worked in either "Wimpys" or "Wendy's" burger place on oconnell street, does anyone know which one was there in the early 60s?
    I don't know what I could get her to represent that part of her youth!

She's from Finglas, but it's so hard to get any kind of decent photos from that time. Also her old school-Holy Faith,old dominic road (???):secondary school seems to hold little or no info on the Web. Maybe it's changed names, as it was run by nuns I think.

Is there anything else anyone can think of? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as so far it's gonna be a pretty petty gift!!! Lol!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm pretty sure the Wendys branches here were 80s but Wimpy was here in the late 50s or early 60s and on and off until very recently. Slightly hard to find out for sure as Wendy's HQ is in Dublin - Dublin Ohio though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 munchbunch

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Wendys branches here were 80s but Wimpy was here in the late 50s or early 60s and on and off until very recently. Slightly hard to find out for sure as Wendy's HQ is in Dublin - Dublin Ohio though!

Ah, thank you. That does help! I found a fairly cool picture of a wimpy ad for 1968, with a very young phil lynott, but that would have been too late, she was married in 1969!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

Is this the school you're looking for?

http://stmichaelsfinglas.scoilnet.ie/blog/

Advertisement