Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My ex leaving leasing scheme house

Options
  • 06-05-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

hi guys.
    Myself and my partner have gone our separate ways with in the last few months. When we split up I moved out of the house which is on the council leasing scheme. Now she is moving back to her home town and she wants me to have custody of our two kids. I'm delighted. When I moved out of the house I didn't take my name off that house. Because I will be taking custody of my two kids are my still entitled to move back into that house with the kids. My name is still on the lease as I refused to take it off for my own reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If your name never came off the lease, why woudn't you be entitled to move back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Sleepy wrote: »
    If your name never came off the lease, why woudn't you be entitled to move back in?

That's what I was thinking myself. But just dealing with the council can be tricky in that way

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think that technically you've breached the conditions by moving out. But the council would prefer for you to be housed there than have to find somewhere else for you. Just be honest with them about what's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Do they even know that you moved out, how long were you out, move back in and say noting for the time-being then in a couple of months maybe approach them

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

When I moved out my ex told them we had split up. My ex kept ringing me telling me to take my name off the house. I refused to do so. I fought long and hard to get that house at the time because we had circumstances that we needed this place. Then when we got it circumstances changed again and she split up with me. There is s long sad story behind it all but I won't get into that now. The whole story is actually on another thread here on boards now she is leaving and I am getting custody of my kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Egan2012 wrote: »
    My ex kept ringing me telling me to take my name off the house. I refused to do so..

And that was exactly the right thing to do. If you had voluntarily removed your name, you would have lost a lot of right that you now have.

fyi, the council housing staff will be well used to this sort of situation. Just tell them what's happened.

Advertisement