Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After SSM, what next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Repeal of the 8th amendment and all references in the constitution to a right to life, and replaced with reference to a person's quality of life.

Inclusion of the Groningen Protocol in conjunction with legislation for euthanasia.

Implementation of the Assisted Decision-making Capacity Bill 2013 that has dragged on and on and has yet to be implemented.

http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/conventionfull.shtml

http://humanrights.ie/mental-health-law-and-disability-law/assisted-decision-making-capacity-bill-2013-finally-published/

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/2015/02/new-legislation-everyones-best-interests.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Fathers rights badly need to be tackled in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I think we should wring our hands for five or six years, fretting about thinking about too many issues* to be thought about at the same time. (what will really happen)

*i.e. controversial issues that no government wants to touch with a barge pole (unless Labour gets an overall majority).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Abortions for all. (Boo)

Abortions for none. (Boo)

Very well... abortions for some, miniature American flags for others. (Yay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

i don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

So the Marriage Equality Referendum is over.... what's next?
    I have high hopes for three:

Abortion- Repealing the 8th Amendment
    Separating the church from State
    Euthanasia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Repeal of the 8th Amendment, hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Abortion, Euthanasia and medicinal cannabis should all be voted on.

With regards to legalising recreational cannabis use, I'm all for it but simply don't think Ireland is ready for it yet but they will be as the stigma is further removed from it and people learn that there is so much more to the plant than just smoking it to get high. I don't even know why it's not completely legalised for medicinal use and research yet. There are so many people who have terminal cancer that found no other alternative that delivered the same pain relief and that's just one group of people who it would benefit and likewise for people with MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

The reeferendum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Magenta wrote: »
    I have high hopes for two:

Abortion

A minimum height requirement fo presidential candidates. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Feck, forgot Euthanasia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The reeferendum

Well that got a gigglesnort from me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

The reeferendum

Whether or not you should be able to reef the head off jacinta for stealing your fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Does the constitution still refer to the role of women in the home? If so, that'll be easy to pass, so I'd say that will be soon. Perhaps at the same time as another referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wulfie

Euthanasia

Text voting for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A referendum on whether we need any more referendums?

After SSM, what's next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I think we should vote to allow the Leprechauns out of the mines. HeightEquality for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

On whether or not campaigners for elections or referendums are allowed to put up those bloody posters on lamp posts.

"Because seeing that same poster on the 326th consecutive lamp post was the one that finally decided my vote"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

With regards to legalising recreational cannabis use, I'm all for it but simply don't think Ireland is ready for it yet but they will be as the stigma is further removed from it and people learn that there is so much more to the plant than just smoking it to get high. I don't even know why it's not completely legalised for medicinal use and research yet. There are so many people who have terminal cancer that found no other alternative that delivered the same pain relief and that's just one group of people who it would benefit and likewise for people with MS.

Is there a constitutional bar on medicinal cannibas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

But what's the alternative to referendums? Give the government the authority to amend the Constitution as it sees fit? Stop amending the constitution altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

RayM wrote: »
    Repeal of the 8th Amendment, hopefully.

Not a chance. By supporting the legislation for the Xcase, the prochoice supporters have effectively killed any chance of a referendum soon. Even if it was to go ahead, it's unlikely it would be passed for a number of reasons.

I would like to see the next referendum focus on removing religious references from the constitution, in particular from the preamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

RayM wrote: »
    But what's the alternative to referendums?

Maybe it's time to bring back emperors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

A referendum to end ALL referendums! The ultimate referendum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

catallus wrote: »

In the new Rainbow Constitution you must also restore empresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

catallus wrote: »

With the Economic Management Council, I was under the impression we already have four of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Abortion
    Separation of Church and State
    Euthanasia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I know it's not popular, but I wish we would have gotten this marriage thing right.

Are they all consenting adults? If yes, then they can marry.

Allowing same sex is great, but there is absolutely no reason to restrict who can marry. As long as people want to get married, they should be allowed.

I should be able to marry my relative if I want (and they agree, assuming they are old enough to consent)
    I should be able to marry six dudes if I want (and they agree, assuming they are old enough to consent)

Also, the requirements for divorce are awfully ridiculous. Clearly, they're a throwback to antiquated/religious beliefs that say divorce is 'wrong'. Consenting adults should be able to get divorced at will as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Euthanasia

I think you've had enough referendums for one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Make straight marriage illegal

After SSM, what's next?
    Ruu wrote: »
    A referendum to end ALL referendums! The ultimate referendum!

In this world of bureaucracy and corruption, i for one am glad that we the people of this nation can changes certain legislation ourselves by a democratic process.

Referendums might cost money but its a small price to pay for democracy.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Abortion
    Euthanasia

There is no union of Church and State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can we just pass a law that all poster proposals for referendums have to be submitted in advance to the referendum commission. If they think the message is horse**** then the poster isnt allowed.

P_1 wrote: »
    Abortion
    Euthanasia

I for one think that if you are in discomfort and pain and terminally ill that you should have the right to end your own life.

As for church and state, as shown yesterday we live in a very diverse and accepting society so one church has absolutely no place having control over the state.

Abortion in most circumstances id be against except in cases of course where the life of the mother is in any form of danger. I dont agree with a woman terminating a pregnancy because simply 'its inconvenient for them at the time' to be honest. Many couples face the disappointment of never been able to naturally concieve children. i do accept that their is grey areas between the scenarios needing to terminate a pregnancy and simply wanting to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Get rid of the Seanad part 2, would probably pass next time seeing as the useless fools in it did jack sh1t to reform it since the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

SSD- same sex divorce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Abortion and Euthanasia I'd like to see anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

SSD- same sex divorce.

Hell no :p

They wanted marriage and they'll see it through dammit

There is no union of Church and State.

Didnt De Valera not outline Ireland as a Catholic country in the constitution? Believe you me they were pretty much de facto in the running of this country one time and still would be only for the scales fell from the peoples eyes. Some of the older generations are still under the thumb.

Didnt De Valera not outline Ireland as a Catholic country in the constitution? Believe you me they were pretty much de facto in the running of this country one time and still would be only for the scales fell from the peoples eyes. Some of the older generations are still under the thumb.

News just in from 1973. The "special position" of the Catholic Church was removed from the Constituition as was any reference to any religious denomination. That was the decision of the people in a referendum back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Go read up. Fifth amendment of the constitution removed that in 1973.

See Fifth Amendment

Many people don't believe this but Ireland is officially a secular state.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Politicians found guilty of corruption to be jailed!

Political party's that contribute massively in bankrupting a country are disbanded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Raise the voting age to 35

Politicians found guilty of corruption to be jailed!

Political party's that contribute massively in bankrupting a country are disbanded!

Those two are already in the Constitution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Those two are already in the Constitution.

So when will we see Fianna fail disbanded?

And did fine gaels Michael Lowry go to jail for giving Denis o Brien that deal on the Mobile Licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

The bit where it says a women's place is in the home is starting to look a bit dated.

So when will we see Fianna fail disbanded?

And did fine gaels Michael Lowry go to jail for giving Denis o Brien that deal on the Mobile Licence?

FF will be disbanded in 2017.

They couldn't get Lowry on that one, so just like happened to Al Capone they are going after him for tax evasion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/michael-lowry-allowed-to-bring-challenge-seeking-to-halt-tax-trial-1.2092569

Of course you could hand over your evidence of wrongdoing in the phone licence case. It would save us having to have a referendum about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why not have a boards.ie referendum to stop these stupid referendum threads.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Go read up. Fifth amendment of the constitution removed that in 1973.

See Fifth Amendment

Many people don't believe this but Ireland is officially a secular state.
    News just in from 1973. The "special position" of the Catholic Church was removed from the Constituition as was any reference to any religious denomination. That was the decision of the people in a referendum back then.

Long time since ive actually looked at it so forgive me. Hadnt actually realised that their 'special position' was removed to be honest. Good too

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why not have a boards.ie referendum to stop these stupid referendum threads.

I propose a referendum to stop people who disapprove of referendum threads posting in referendum threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I propose a referendum to stop people who disapprove of referendum threads posting in referendum threads.

I second the inevitable counter-proposal.

Advertisement