Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it necessary to seal sandstone patio?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

We had a sandstone patio put down nearly 4 years ago. We have done nothing to it since. I was thinking of getting it cleaned and was quoted €100 (10ft*40ft). The guy suggested sealing it which would be another €300, is this necessary? Will i still have to get it cleaned every year? How often will it have to be sealed?

Thanks

Edzers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Sandstone is very porus and prone to getting an algae that looks like black rings on it. It's a nightmare to remove, and can't be removed by power washing. I'd get it sealed, it'll make the sandstone slightly darker but is well worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Beware of sealers, most of them are of little benefit (must be repeated on annual basis etc) making them an utter waste of money.

Small imperfections/blemishes in stone is not the end of the world? BTW all stone is porous, and sealing a stone can make surface slippy etc.

Providing you have no overhanging trees or shrubs, an annual powerwash will retain the stone in very good condition.

I wouldn't do it even for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

does anyone have any ideas about how to get rust marks (from kids bikes) off sandstone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

jrby wrote: »
    does anyone have any ideas about how to get rust marks (from kids bikes) off sandstone?

Some good tips here:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/stains.htm#rust

Advertisement