Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So much Bluesssss

Options
  • 06-05-2015 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Quick rant dressed up as a question:- Why is pretty much the only live music on offer in Ireland these days folksy/bluesy? Growing up, no kids I ever knew listened to blues music. Is it because it's easy to play that, later on, all the bands suddenly become blues aficionados?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What kind of blues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GallyBally

country... urban... I don't know. Is there that much of a differnce? Despite that, no I knew ever listened to Blues irrespective of the genre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Could you give an example of "folksy/bluesy" music ? I have never heard that
    description before. Folk music...yes...blues music..yes...but never the two together.

Just so we all know exactly what you are referring to. :)

Having said the above, the only place in Dublin that I know of that features blues on a regular basis is JJ Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Folky,bluesy,--
    The Avett Bros.Beth Hart,Joe Purdy,Tom Waites,Of Monsters and Men,The Lone Bellow,Justin Townes Earle,The Head and the Heart,--that's only for starters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

invicta wrote: »
    Folky,bluesy,--
    The Avett Bros.Beth Hart,Joe Purdy,Tom Waites,Of Monsters and Men,The Lone Bellow,Justin Townes Earle,The Head and the Heart,--that's only for starters!!!

Ah !...OK..thanks for clarifying. :) Going by the OP's thread title I was assuming he meant the likes of..BB King...Albert King... Freddy King...Buddy Guy...Johnny Winter...John Mayall..Alexis Korner....Ten Years After...early Fleetwood Mac...etc..etc.

There is a big difference between the output of both lists, with mine being generally considered to be "Bluesssss" (as in the thread title).

Now that we have clarification, with regards this music being the only live music on offer, I would not be in a position to either agree or disagree with the OP as my interest lies in "Blues".

As for playing a genre because it is "easy" to play....perhaps...but equally so would it not be because it is what the punters want ? If there was no demand for it, I doubt if venues would feature the genre. AFAIK, Tom Petty is amazingly popular here in Ireland.

Going on the same criteria, U2's music is generally easy to play and they are one of the top (rightly or wrongly) rock bands in the world. So IMO "easy to play" does not really mean anything in this context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

Some Swing here for ye , keep an eye on the facebook page for gigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njR_DmYbSXg

Advertisement