Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overly aggressive and dangerous cyclist makes video...

• 06-05-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭

If this guy hasn't been mowed down yet he is the luckiest guy alive. Going up the inside of a bus no matter if the light is red is dangerous, but he does it when its green. Madness!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Title of thread is a bit misleading.
    My son makes cycling videos, he's actually quite a handy cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus. The sun almost never shines in Cork...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Title changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Whats a Dub reg'd car doing in Cork!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just another person who doesn't understand that the right of way isn't a shield that will protect you from death.

It's pretty clear that there's on particular junction he deals with where the cycle lane is continually blocked, but rather than take the obvious route and overtake on the right or hold behind the traffic, he pushes on through down the left. There's not very much you can do to convince these people they're wrong when they're willing to put a video of their stupidity up online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

seamus wrote: »
    It's pretty clear that there's on particular junction he deals with where the cycle lane is continually blocked, but rather than take the obvious route and overtake on the right or hold behind the traffic, he pushes on through down the left. There's not very much you can do to convince these people they're wrong when they're willing to put a video of their stupidity up online.

At what time in the video ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

He looks like he is actually trying to cause a crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

At what time in the video ?

At 2:00.

He's out looking for clips to put online. He knows the junction is a tricky one, and yet ploughs headlong into it knowing well that the chances of cars turning left, or across his path are high. Absolute idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    The most dangerous pass he makes is around 2 minutes, but that junction appears several times in the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Another GoPro hero. I really hope someone doesn't get killed making these videos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

It wouldnt surprise me if he's actually doing this with the intention of being hit in order that he can bring a lucrative insurance claim against the driver. A bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

^^
    The most dangerous pass he makes is around 2 minutes, but that junction appears several times in the video.

Punto is indicating too. The second we see it, we notice that the indicator is on. His logic is "Well sure he didn't check his mirror". But he also put himself on the inside of a turning vehicle. Slowing down and allowing the car to pass is the best course of action imo. (And the car does pick up on the bike quickly, whether from a shout or a check of the mirror).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

@ Rackstar

Well they're probably not going to be able post it afterwards, in fairness.
    That chap is a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

At 2:00.

He's out looking for clips to put online. He knows the junction is a tricky one, and yet ploughs headlong into it knowing well that the chances of cars turning left, or across his path are high. Absolute idiot.

Yup ,very poorly designed junction which he ploughs through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭rob w

^^

From 1:00 - 2:00, I was like "this is the time he's gonna learn not to go down the inside.....nope......oh wait, he's back again......this time he'll learn.....nope.....":rolleyes:

Also, that motorcyclists advice at the end is hilarious......telling him to wait another half an hour to cycle in the mornings, so everyone else can get to work first!! What???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eric Pode of Croydon

I am no fan of aggressive riding but in fairness the video does seem to reflect a fairly typical urban ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

it's just another one of these 'GoPro heros' .

He assumes that because he is a cyclist the ebb and flow of urban traffic shouldn't ever impinge on his movement. Rather than looking to be part of the traffic and other road users he wants to have priority over everything.

On the roads sometimes sh1t happens -people don't leave enough space, pull in on bus lanes ... this lad thinks its perfectly acceptable to exacerbate the situation by adding to it. For instance when the cycle lane is encroached by other road users or buses .. rather than holding back and making sure it's sage to progress he decides that he can squeeze in to the space and then rant at how dangerous it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I am no fan of aggressive riding but in fairness the video does seem to reflect a fairly typical urban ride.

very typical, but his move down the inside of left turning traffic is madness.
    "I'm in the right do not turn left until I've passed"

That thinking will land him in hospital.

I winced watching this especially on the inside of a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Someone's son / brother / husband etc but that is one obnoxious individual who goes out of his way to force incidents. The comments on his Youtube are so aggressive too, he's never wrong.

Sad to see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

De Bhál wrote: »
    very typical, but his move down the inside of left turning traffic is madness.
    "I'm in the right do not turn left until I've passed"

That thinking will land him in hospital.

I winced watching this especially on the inside of a bus.

Or the undertakers most likely. In tupperware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

HATE cyclists!!!! Most arrogant P****s

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

mark26ireland: Please read the forum charter before you contribute any more.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

In many of those circumstances he is technically correct but he could have avoided all of those incidents with some defensive cycling. There is no point in exercising your right of way by going down the inside of an indicating left turning punto if it is going to land you hospital. Its better cycling to let them go and continue on afterwards, he wouldn't even have needed to put a foot down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kinda hard to watch the video with the wobbliness introduced by the camera motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Wow ! A classic case of right dead right until you're wrong dead wrong !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Cycle that junction most days in the opposite direction, there are far friendlier alternatives for the return journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Darwin award pending.

Fairly typical mindset of many road users these days, there's an obstruction ahead, or a potential danger, but I'm going to head straight for it, and force my way through it, rather than waiting a minute for it to clear.

In fairness its a great video to show how not to cycle in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

A lot of the lanes on narrow Cork City roads are a bit theoretical anyway! Even the traffic lanes sometimes don't fit two cars confortably and they've done the same with the bike lanes.

You have to read the road and watch out for obstructions. It's a very busy space with narrow roads. Assuming you've absolute right of way is a recipe for a crash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

At least at 2.00 when the car pulled across him..
    The South Infirmary was right across the road.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Obviously select editing by the nutter etc, but as a cyclist in Dublin I wouldn't really see that amount of cars in a cycle lane imo. I think there's a bit more respect in my experience, at least on the routes I cycle, even if the road is a wirey bottleneck.

I wouldn't see it either. But it is route dependent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

He must be thinking the cycle lane is a highway exclusive to cyclists only and any car "sharing" it (in cases where the road is simply too narrow to keep buses in particular out of it) is trespassing no matter what circumstances.

Some drivers do show certain lack of awarness but on the other hand it must be nerve wrecking to try impose his "law of the land" in this guys cycling kingdom.

Wheres the joy in this style of commuting...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

omri wrote: »
    He must be thinking the cycle lane is a highway exclusive to cyclists only and any car "sharing" it (in cases where the road is simply too narrow to keep buses in particular out of it) is trespassing no matter what circumstances.

Some drivers do show certain lack of awarness but on the other hand it must be nerve wrecking to try impose his "law of the land" in this guys cycling kingdom.

Wheres the joy in this style of commuting...

Exactly ! Commuting by bike is about more than just getting there ( by the skin of your teeth ) surely it's about a healthy method of transport ? I've been on the receiving end of crap drivers ,busses, trucks, and cyclists, and lost the rag as good as anyone .But lately I've really tried to be more aware of other road users and allow for the errors of others . This is for My benefit and I have noticed I'm feeling calmer on the road and enjoying cycling more . But jeez , I have to work at it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

TBH at the 2.00 mark he should have had the cop on to stay behind the car instead of trying to cause an accident. Any time I come to a junction and its green and I see some one indicating ahead of me, I would slot in behind that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html

0332/2012
    (b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Aka, he's in the wrong in quite a number of his righteous situations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I watched it without my headphones. It looks like edited highlights of his greatest near misses.
    He is playing the odds thinking an unlikely event will be a non-happening event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Is it not all a piss take complete with kraftwerk style soundtrack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Maybe it's just me but I found the video hilarious with the music and the over-exaggerated break sounds.

The chirping Cork accent in the background only added to the comic effect.

EDIT: press the "CC" subtitles button on the YouTube video during the conversation with the motorcyclist around 3:28

"for freedom or break you prepare for your knees crying they're prepared" ... wtf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The fella seems to have problems at the same dodgy junction everyday.

Ploughing on regardless through a location you know to be unsafe is really foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

In fairness, there some pretty horrendous driving from all parties in that video. In some cases, the cyclist was at fault, others it was drivers. He sure was dangerous.

The motorbike at the end was class, "I thought you were one of them lads that just cycle around". That's the perception people have, we cycle around wrecking peoples lives, that's our only aim.

Myself and a group of cyclists had an incident with a motorcyclist one day, he wanted to get ahead of the stopped traffic, moved into the cycling lane while shouting for us to get the F out of his Fing way. When the way was "clear" he revved the arse out of his bike which made quite a loud noise and sped past us really closely. Not sure if something happened him previously, but in that moment, cyclists were the scum of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Obviously select editing by the nutter etc, but as a cyclist in Dublin I wouldn't really see that amount of cars in a cycle lane imo. I think there's a bit more respect in my experience, at least on the routes I cycle, even if the road is a wirey bottleneck.

Agreed! He's obviously insane, but what's with all the cars in the cycle lane? You wouldn't see that in the real Capital! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He is so wrong in so many situations. I wish the Gardai were like the met, ID him from the video and lift him.

A danger to himself and other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

whippet wrote: »
    On the roads sometimes sh1t happens -people don't leave enough space, pull in on bus lanes ...

Is that good enough though....**** happens. People need to take much more care on the roads, too many mé féiners out there "I'll just drive to the top of the queue and put my indicator on and force my way in" "the light has just gone red, boot to the floor and I'll get through here".
    I'm not defending this guy, technically he was in the right in most situations filmed but he certainly never made things easier. He seems blissfully unaware that he is the most vulnerable road user in any of the clips.

There has been a lot of posts of people bashing the guy but no one bashing the ignorant and stupid driving in the clip, highlighted by the attitude of the biker.

What I'm trying to say is that there are a$$holes on bikes/motorbikes/in cars buses and trucks (vans have more than their fair share), life would be a lot easier if we all just took a bit more care.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Punto is indicating too. The second we see it, we notice that the indicator is on. His logic is "Well sure he didn't check his mirror". But he also put himself on the inside of a turning vehicle. Slowing down and allowing the car to pass is the best course of action imo. (And the car does pick up on the bike quickly, whether from a shout or a check of the mirror).

Actually not just the best course of action, it is part of the ROTR that, if your behind a car, it is indicating left, and you believe the car will turn left, you should yield. This is one item I see regularly on my commute coming down from Goatstown, the next left after the cross is usually at speed as it is downhill and often screams from cyclists at left turning cars can be heard - bit ignorant in my opinion given the advantage cyclists have on that stretch in rush hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

red car cuts into cycle lane, squeezing him against the kerb (0:12)

Car with chevrons on the back pull out in front of him (0:35)

Car comes cuts in front of him turning right. (0:51)

Car comes up against him on the wrong side of the road (0:58)

Bus is illegally parked in mandatory bike lane at the lights, forcing him up the inside (he is legally to pass stationary traffic in the left) (1:15)

Kind of gave up after that. Is there a point to the video, other than highlighting the dangers cyclists face in a daily basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    red car cuts into cycle lane, squeezing him against the kerb

Car with chevrons on the back pull out in front of him

Car comes cuts in front of him turning right

Car comes up against him on the wrong side of the road

Bus is illegally parked in mandatory bike lane at the lights, forcing him up the inside (he is legally to pass stationary traffic in the left)

Kind of gave up after that. Is there a point to the video, other than highlighting the dangers cyclists face in a daily basis?

pfft you don't get it, the cyclist is always wrong duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

mrcheez wrote: »
    pfft you don't get it, the cyclist is always wrong duh.

Before I gave up viewing, the only thing I dasagree with is lecturing drivers and over taking that car with the chevron things on the back was a bit dumb.

Mind you, I did enquire with a taxi driver at merrion square about an hour ago if I should upgrade my front light. Apparently she didn't see me - hundreds of lumen from a strobe that lights up several hundred meters in front of me. And she still pulled out in front of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Doing himself no favours but at the same time I'd be recording the buses details and complaining each time.

That idiot turning left over the cycle lane without even checking is a real pet hate of mine too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement