Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overly aggressive and dangerous cyclist makes video...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

:confused:

car is crossing an occupied lane and has to yield to the cyclist who has right of way staying in their lane...
    anyone changing / crossing lanes always has to yield

Is it a lane when marked by a broken line? I wouldn't have thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

car is crossing an occupied lane and has to yield to the cyclist who has right of way staying in their lane...

Cyclist has to give way to left turning vehicles when coming from behind. I think lots of cyclists think they have the right of way if they are going straight, but it's not the case. That rule is there for a cyclists safety.
    Depp wrote: »
    sorry guys i had no intention of causing offense, wearing a gopro is fair enough like but its the guys with youtube channels with 20+ videos im giving out about, I've no problem with a guy having a gopro there to back himself up.

No offense taken at all. I know the type of person you are talking about and they give cyclists a really bad name. I think I have a bout 3 videos up on youtube. They are not confrontational. One is of nothing but a junction, just to get an opinion. Another is of some RLJ's (cars) which was really bad (just something I witnessed. Last video is a sample of madness that happens on the daily commute, 3 close calls within about a 10 min time gap. I have another that I never uploaded. But they are all educational for myself. "What should have I done in this case" etc, but there's not chasing after cars, screaming at people or any of that rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,617 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Not so. The law states that you may overtake a car on its left unless it

"is indicating and there is a reasonable likelihood that it will commence the left-turn before the cyclist has completed the overtake"

Or words to that effect.

That's essentailly what I said. If you can overtake them before they turn, you are allowed to. But if they start to turn before you are past them, it is the cyclist who is at fault as they should yielded.
    mellor wrote:
    The rule basically states that if you can't overtake them before they turn, then you aren't allowed to overtake them. That's pretty clear tbh.

So, If a car turning left crosses over you, you obviously weren't able to overtake them.
    Personally, if I'm coming up the left of a left indicating vehicle, I will continue if it is stationary but, if it is already moving, I will move out behind it to overtake on the right.
    That's fine, as long as you can pass them before they go. However, if they sudden take off and commence to turn before you pass. They have the right of way.
    dreamerb wrote: »
    It might be pretty clear in most circumstances, but not if you're both starting from a stationary and the cyclists are level with driver / marginally ahead of the car. Of course, depending on vehicle type and visibility it might be (very) unwise.
    If they are level and you are able to take off before they turn you are free to do so.
    But if they commence the movement before you can overtake, then technically the bike is probably in the wrong. As they weren't able to complete the overtake.

The rules as state its biased in favour of the driver. And it's a crappy situation for cyclists, as when ever there is an incident, the blame will fall on them as long as there's any sort of expectation of the car turning.

The driver needs to make an illegal turn, or fall to indicate to be at fault.

Nope. That's the whole point. There rule discussed above covers that.
    A cyclist must yield to a car tuning left ,they can't overtake.
    Which makes the cycist's in the OP agressively cycling at and shouting at cars turning completely ridiculous. He clearly doesn't understand the rules, and he's not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,617 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

obriendj wrote: »
    Have a look at this junction in Dublin - if you spin around you will see that it is a 5 way junction.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.338303,-6.269287,3a,75y,277.05h,72.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s98TD2Jp4hYlSimR8isnOuQ!2e0?hl=en

I am often cycling up the cycle lane and planning to go straight ahead. There are often cars that are crossing the lane without indicating as they are veering left to go past the social welfare office. If I am cycling alongside the car or slightly behind and they cut across me - you are saying that they are correct?

Unless google is showing me a different junction. That's not a 5 way junction. It's a 4 way junction, Kevin St & Bride st. The T junction with bishops street, is very close, but its a separate junction.

348001.jpg

If a car is planning to go left and down bishops st (left turn, right turn). Then a cyclist can't overtake om the left.

However, then shouldn't be making that turn without indicating to alert other road users, eg cyclists. So it that case, if they aren't indicating then they are at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

There is so much in that video that I'd call par for the course with commuting be it cycling or driving in a busy urban area. I see lots of this on my daily commute almost every morning and evening. This guy however seems to take offence and an aggressive approach for every situation. Ridiculous carry on and he'll only get himself in hospital. I cycle the quays (dublin) regularly on my commute and the amount of idiot cyclists I see trying to make their way up the inside of a bus is just bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Mellor wrote: »
    Unless google is showing me a different junction. That's not a 5 way junction. It's a 4 way junction, Kevin St & Bride st. The T junction with bishops street, is very close, but its a separate junction.

I was at this very junction this morning coming from Kevin Street Upper to Kevin Street Lower. I had a green light and unimpeachable right of way. I indicated that I was proceeding straight ahead rather than turning.

A car which was a few car lengths behind me beeped me for no earthly reason. I looked behind after clearing the junction to see that they were turning slightly left onto Bishop Street. I also checked to see if there was anything else they could be beeping at and could see nothing.

I can only interpret this as the driver beeping me as revenge for me being on a bike. :confused:

I see outrageously bad driving, cycling and pedestrian activity every day, and find it wearing / frustrating / mystifying. However, this driver today really brought home how much some drivers absolutely hate all cyclists no matter what the situation and whether or not the cyclist has a clear right of way. :(

Maybe they were having a bad morning, but I can see no justification whatsoever for their aggression.

I don't want to use a go-pro or similar for a number of reasons in no particular order;
    Dork factor
    It can look a bit aggressive / Big Brother is watching you
    Cost
    I have enough stuff to carry already

However, the amount of dangerous driving I see every day does make me see the potential value of having a (reasonably) objective account of what happened in the event of an incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was at this very junction this morning coming from Kevin Street Upper to Kevin Street Lower. I had a green light and unimpeachable right of way. I indicated that I was proceeding straight ahead rather than turning.

A car which was a few car lengths behind me beeped me for no earthly reason. I looked behind after clearing the junction to see that they were turning slightly left onto Bishop Street. I also checked to see if there was anything else they could be beeping at and could see nothing.

I can only interpret this as the driver beeping me as revenge for me being on a bike. :confused:

I use this junction daily as well, travelling in the same direction you've outlined. The problem is that a lot of vehicles will head towards Bishop Street without indicating - they deem it to be straight ahead, rather than a left (which it is). I've seen many a cyclist nearly get clipped in this scenario.

If the traffic is stopped, I'll ensure I'm in a prominent position out from to prevent someone cutting left in front of me. If I approach the junction and the traffic is moving, I will take up a defensive mid-lane position in between two cars - this allows me get through the junction with out fear of being clipped.There's usually a queue of cars at the traffic lights across the junction, so if you're 'holding someone up' (in their eyes) - well, so be it.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just watched. These guy must get annoyed at everything. Pretty much everything there he could have seen happening moments before hand by slowing for a mere few seconds, but rather than doing the sensible thing, he seems to go out looking for some reason to give out.

He's the kind who makes those who generalise about cyclists so very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    If the traffic is stopped, I'll ensure I'm in a prominent position out from to prevent someone cutting left in front of me. If I approach the junction and the traffic is moving, I will take up a defensive mid-lane position in between two cars - this allows me get through the junction with out fear of being clipped.There's usually a queue of cars at the traffic lights across the junction, so if you're 'holding someone up' (in their eyes) - well, so be it.

I use this junction daily too. You've described exactly how I approach it. And there is often a line of cyclists who proceed from up to a couple of cars back even if the first car indicates left. So the car in front has to wait as they all roll past.
    Also a junction notorious for red light jumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I use this junction daily too. .

I use high street - Douglas street instead, find it less chaotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    If the traffic is stopped, I'll ensure I'm in a prominent position out from to prevent someone cutting left in front of me. If I approach the junction and the traffic is moving, I will take up a defensive mid-lane position in between two cars - this allows me get through the junction with out fear of being clipped.

I would certainly try and do the same, but often it is difficult to take up a primary / defensive position due to heavy traffic, maybe I'm a scaredy cat. :o

Today was very unusual for that junction in that I had both a green light and the space to proceed in a defensive mid-lane position (although to be honest I didn't really take the lane completely, and remained a bit towards the bike lane side of the lane, possibly due to aforementioned scaredy cat-ness).

So despite having space, having the lane, clearly indicating my intention with a hand signal and having right of way I still get beeped out of it, that's what makes me despair of some drivers. As I say, maybe they were having a bad morning and venting, but it is just as likely that they believe that all cyclists are in the wrong all of the time.

I personally know a few people who drive who get irrationally angry whenever they see a bike on the road, and I know they are toning it down in my presence as they are aware that I cycle.

Sometimes the conflict on the roads just get a bit wearisome, and today was one of those days for me.

Sorry, maybe I'm the one venting now. Rant over and out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

That cycle lane shouldn't really be there. With the kink in the road before the junction you can't see the mirror of the car turning left until you've passed the back of it, which will result in you getting turned ontop of, and with most of the roads in cork they're mad narrow and cars often end up in them. I did that road on the bike once, and it was brutal at that junction, all caused by the cycle lane. With the road as narrow as it is the back end of the bus ends up in there.

First red car video is in Ballincollig, I think there was a car turning right in front of the red car, you can go up the left of the right turning cars by driving in the cycle lane, red car shouldn't have done it, but it is the done thing there, but the cyclist acts like he didn't see it coming. I think it is just a habit people have from before the lanes were built, the widened the footpath, narrowed the road, and then put a cycle lane on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

There was an earthly reason for the car to be beeping at you (but the driver was in the wrong). Many drivers *assume* that the left lane of those two straight-ahead ones is only for Bishop St/Bride St, and their assumption means that you, going straight on in the left lane are, in their opinion, in the wrong lane. As mentioned above, Bishop St is a separate junction and involves a left, then right turn (although not much turning of the steering wheel is involved, which obviously confuses some people).

I found out about this assumption a few years ago when I was driving through this junction, in the left lane and going straight on (Kevin St, towards Cuffe St). When we drove off at the green light, the guy in the car on my right (other straight-on lane) accelerated to cut me off, refused to let me merge, and then berated me through his window at the next lights for "being in the wrong lane" - I pointed out that both lanes are marked for straight ahead traffic and that traffic merges there all day, but there was no convincing him - once he had assumed that there were two lanes and two straight-on streets to drive into, the lanes had to be separate in his mind, despite both being marked for straight-on.

As users of that junction can see (and from looking at the video in the OP), it's clear that people making assumptions (about others' intentions and road layouts, etc) are the cause of a lot of hassle on the roads, so the wisest thing to do is to assume that others around you are making bad assumptions ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Type 17 wrote: »
    There was an earthly reason for the car to be beeping at you (but the driver was in the wrong). Many drivers *assume* that the left lane of those two straight-ahead ones is only for Bishop St/Bride St, and their assumption means that you, going straight on in the left lane are, in their opinion, in the wrong lane. As mentioned above, Bishop St is a separate junction and involves a left, then right turn (although not much turning of the steering wheel is involved, which obviously confuses some people).

The thing is though, the bike lane has clear markings, it's not as if cyclists are just treating a left lane as a straight ahead or that markings don't make it clear. The bike lane is clearly marked out so its a reasonable assumption that, this is where most cyclists will go.

As with any junction in Dublin though, I don't pay attention to wether the car is indicating or not, you never know which way they will go, I always treat it as if they will get in my way or the most awkward position and try and adjust my path so I don't get involved.

I shouldn't have too but I can live with it.

My biggest issue here is that it is clearly a separate junction, little turning or not, if a driver thinks it is a straight ahead, they are clearly not competent enough to be driving, nothing, and I mean nothing, in the layout of that junction indicates that it is a straight ahead, or even a staggered straight ahead junction, no road markings, no signs, no nothing. Even the yellow box indicates that it is a separate junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

A lot of the criticism of the cycle lanes in Cork is the dangerous and pointless nature of them. The city council, in their wisdom have shoehorned them into narrow and unsuitable streets. In a few cases, you have a choice when driving of keeping out of the bike lane and partially driving in the other lane or not crossing the white line and driving in the bike lane. Utter craziness when you see how some hug the kerb on the bike (no stupid lane would mean that they would be more likely to take a better position).

This idiot just adds to the frustration of people trying to get from A to B. They need to start making the rules of the road compulsory reading for everyone, not just people learning to drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

The entitlement that this cyclist shows is outstanding. He clearly has a death wish and is beyond stupid. I'm only relieved that he can't afford a car as he's a complete menace on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

mayway wrote: »
    I'm only relieved that he can't afford a car as he's a complete menace on the road.

Why would you think that he can't afford a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

mayway wrote: »
    The entitlement that this cyclist shows is outstanding. He clearly has a death wish and is beyond stupid. I'm only relieved that he can't afford a car as he's a complete menace on the road.

Can you imagine him in a car!! Not showing any care or attention, deliberately getting himself into dangerous positions, speeding up to over take a car that has pulled out in front of him.

But Joe it's a cycle lane......

Not a fan of cyclists myself, but Cork is surely full of **** drivers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

rob w wrote: »
    From 1:00 - 2:00, I was like "this is the time he's gonna learn not to go down the inside.....nope......oh wait, he's back again......this time he'll learn.....nope.....":rolleyes:

Also, that motorcyclists advice at the end is hilarious......telling him to wait another half an hour to cycle in the mornings, so everyone else can get to work first!! What???

I actually agree with the motorcyclist. He mentioned the spot where he was complaining about and it is a big problem to be cycling.
    It's a small but very busy road with no ability to overtake. It's also a steep hill. So cycling forces 400 cars to go at the speed of a bicycle up a hill.
    At rush hour this is simply unfair on everybody else.

I'd say the same about someone driving at 15kph, nothing to do with bicycles. Just about getting people where they need to go in a timely manner

mawk wrote: »
    I actually agree with the motorcyclist. He mentioned the spot where he was complaining about and it is a big problem to be cycling.
    It's a small but very busy road with no ability to overtake. It's also a steep hill. So cycling forces 400 cars to go at the speed of a bicycle up a hill.

At rush hour I would be quite surprised if there were many road users quicker than a cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Funny video, In many of the situations hes flipping out at a car thats legitimately pulling out of a junction or some other place, and has no other place to be, not like its some kind of unique cyclist problem that there are other road users and they may at some point block the road because they are trying to go some place.

At the same time, the amount of people cutting into cycle lanes for no good reason in this video is an eye opener and to be honest I will be more thoughful of the lanes as a car user after seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Sick of the self important go-pro generation and their 'look at me' attitude.
    /not just in cycling but all manner of pursuits.
    Who f**king cares! Keep it to yourselves.
    This guy is just another self-righteous twat with a camera.

imitation wrote: »
    Funny video, In many of the situations hes flipping out at a car thats legitimately pulling out of a junction or some other place, and has no other place to be, not like its some kind of unique cyclist problem that there are other road users and they may at some point block the road because they are trying to go some place.
    By 'legitimately', do you mean:
    1) Don't bother looking for cyclists, or
    2) Look for cyclists, and when you see one, don't bother judging it's speed - just assume all cyclists are slow and you'll have time to pull out, or
    3) Don't bother checking to see if your intended route is clear at all - just stick your nose out and other traffic will have to stop?

Because that's what I'm seeing here...

terrydel wrote: »
    Sick of the self important go-pro generation and their 'look at me' attitude.
    /not just in cycling but all manner of pursuits.
    Who f**king cares! Keep it to yourselves.
    This guy is just another self-righteous twat with a camera.

Can I be so bold as to suggest one fairly straightforward solution to your dilemma? If you're not interested in watching the videos, don't press the play button. No-one is forced to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

RainyDay wrote: »
    Why would you think that he can't afford a car?

Honestly! :rolleyes:

I cycle across the city twice every day and through the county on my day off. Cork is generally a really friendly place to cycle. Most people I encounter every day will stop and leave me through a junction/turn with a flash of the lights and overtake safely. The bus from Coachford to Cork overtakes me 3-4 times a week, always overtakes safely leaving plenty room. I get the odd,odd bad/close day but really have to say Cork is grand to cycle around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sure just lump them all into the one group and dislike them all equally :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cyclenutter

I've been cycling/commute cycling for about 12 years. I commute to work 5-6 times a week in all weather and I cycle about 12-16000kms a year. I have 2 cars so yes I pay plenty road tax. I've had 2 accident , one involving a car pulling out from a petrol station , a few scrapes , he admitted liability I did nothing about it. The other my back wheel kicked out on wet bitchumen during a club spin on a country road descent and got a broken arm. I'm not perfect but I am experienced.

This is my first effort at YouTube or any form of social media. I compiled the video to send to a couple of friends so I put it up and sent on the link. I didn't expect the whole world to see it. YouTube? What was I thinking?

Anyway it's not a gopro its a Rokform iPhone bike mount so it's at handlebar level. I wear a single earphone with mic just by my chin so SOME of my bitching is not for anyone else to hear nor do they hear it. Some of the clips are shot on iPhone 6 plus with a dodgy camera ( which I've since replace) hence the underwater look of some clips. The aspect, camera , music and sound effects give the impression I'm travelling faster than I actually am. I urge you to watch with sound off as well.
    The routes I take to work ( anywhere from 30-80km round trip) invariably bring me through the junction and cycle lane you see. Funny how with all that distance most of the incicidents involve about 200m of the only cycle lane I use. I used to take a more direct route via the south link dual carriageway ( which I am legally allowed cycle on) but stopped because of the relentless verbal abuse from motorists ( including our friend on motorbike at end). Not because I was in their way but because I was there. You can't win

0:12 the car in front of the red Peugeot is turning right so the Peugeot cuts in from even though he still can't pass. I stop.
    0:34 the black car pulls out even thought he sees me. This would not be a problem if he continued to accelerate to normal traffic speed but he just crawls so as there is no other traffic and a broken white line I overtake and never see him again.
    0:50 the silver car stops and indicates to cross In front of me. She moves forward a fraction hesitates moves again hesitates and then just as I'm about to pass she jerks forward half way across my path and stops. ?????
    1:00 black car exits from South Infirmery an turns into my lane the wrong way and stops. She downs her window and starts to chat to the man on the footpath. I protest as I pass but she ingores me and keeps talking to the man.
    1:10 I pass stationary traffic on the inside I enter a cycle lane which is obstructed by a bus ( there is no need for the bus to stop on the cycle lane as the lane has ample room. I pass using the cycle lane the light it's red.
    1:19 I see a green light ahead I pass stationary traffic on the inside before entering the cycle lane , there is a white van parked in it and a bus has stopped on it also ( no indicator). The bus driver has failed to see the green light which has been green for 20-30 seconds and is blocking me I'm annoyed and shout langer. I pass up the inside with one foot on the footpath aware of the danger if the bus moves I'll just pull the bike onto the footpath. The bus never moves so I continue.
    1:36 I pass stationary traffic on the inside I enter a cycle lane which is obstructed by a car and a bus. I pass the car that has indicated to turn left but is stationary I follow the bus which has started moving
    02:00 I pass stationary traffic on the inside I enter a cycle traffic is still stationary until I pass the white van where a blue van has just started moving and has indicated to turn left . I immediately adjust my speed eventually stopping Before the junction.( you can see the end of the footpath to my left and the stop line in front of me. I do not overtake punto I barely come up the inside of his rear bumper. Not that it matters he is completely wrong. You cannot cross any lane unless it is clear.I am in a dedicated cycle lane . The RSA hand book page 191 states –
    Some cycle tracks are bordered by a continuous white line on the right-hand side. These are only for bicycles and motorised wheelchairs, so no other drivers may use them or park in them.
    Other cycle tracks have a broken white line on the right-hand side. Other drivers may make temporary use of this type of track if it is not occupied. In this case it is occupied by me. It's on page 191 of the rsa handbook
    2:20 I enter the cycle lane which is obstructed by a red van , I pass it and 2 stationary cars
    2:24 I enter the junction an a car coming from city starts to turn across in front of me. He jerks forward off camera ( you can see my bike swerving ) and he starts waving his arms at me.
    2:30 the black car reverses from a parking space clear of the cycle lane ( correctly) only to reveal a Passat parked on the cycle lane which has begun to reverse up the cycle lane ( you can just make out his reverse light in the video) so I overtake him.
    2:40 a red car blocks the cycle lane while waiting to enter a traffic queue
    2:45 I enter the garage at the start of the south link after the motorcyclist invited me to discuss his actions after I threatened to report him for multiple incidents of unprovoked road rage.

I never impede any traffic
    I put no other road user in danger
    I break no law

3 cars parked in a cycle lane
    4 cars stopped in a cycle lane
    4 busses stopped in a cycle lane
    4 cars cut across me
    1 car drives the wrong way towards me
    1 car reversing up the cycle lane
    1 motorcyclist who admits multiple incidents of road rage
    That's 18 offences

But we should get MI5 to ID me so I can be prosecuted for overtaking a car on the inside that I NEVER ACTUALLY OVERTAKE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

You need to relax dude

miece16 wrote: »
    You need to relax dude

Summed up absolutely perfectly in one nice, short sentence.
    This lad will have a breakdown, I just don't see anything other than a worrying obsession being the motivation behind these videos.
    Calm down and just enjoy life, get past all the aggression and spoiling for a fight.

Anyway it's not a gopro its a Rokform iPhone bike mount so it's at handlebar level.

Yeah, whatever, its the same principle. As far as Im concerned the whole videoing mundane events and putting them onto the internet for the world to see just smacks of complete self-importance, and very self righteous, as if obsessed with proving youre right and everyone else is wrong.
    Lose the camera and aggression and just cycle into work and enjoy the sights and sounds.

• Advertisement

otoolepw wrote: »
    These halfwits are quite dangerous, jacked up on a hormone high, they see towns and cities as some sort of urban downhill track with other vehicles and people as obstacles to get around. The rules of the road don't apply to them, and they know it, as it's almost impossible for Gardai to implement them. I've avoided being creamed a few times as these loons crash red lights, mount pavements, etc. to dodge those in their way.

Yes, dangerous halfwits indeed, with their killing of 200+ people each year and maiming of thousands of others. Oh wait, no, that would be the OTHER group of road users.....
    Yeah, whatever, its the same principle. As far as Im concerned the whole videoing mundane events and putting them onto the internet for the world to see just smacks of complete self-importance, and very self righteous, as if obsessed with proving youre right and everyone else is wrong.
    Lose the camera and aggression and just cycle into work and enjoy the sights and sounds.

So which video did you appear in, Terry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

hes like a rural cycledub

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Cyclenutter put the video on YouTube and didn't expect the whole world to see it ? The amount of time then dedicated to analysing nearly every turn of the pedals on the section of street looks to me like an attempt at justifying red mist . First step is get rid of the camera - did you have it when you fell off and broke your arm ? It definitely doesn't make motorists drive better , and it doesn't make you a better cyclist .As previous posts state it sure isn't a passport to successful driving convictions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Cork people are wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Your post (edited):
    As far as Im concerned the whole videoing mundane events and putting them onto the internet for the world to see just smacks of complete self-importance, and very self righteous, as if obsessed with proving youre right and everyone else is wrong.

being a reply to (edited):
    I compiled the video to send to a couple of friends so I put it up and sent on the link. I didn't expect the whole world to see it.

really challenges my logic... :confused:

I put no other road user in danger
    I break no law
    One could argue that you put yourself in danger and that you came up on the left of left indicating traffic. I don't think you did put yourself at much risk but there was some you could have avoided.

3 cars parked in a cycle lane
    4 cars stopped in a cycle lane
    4 busses stopped in a cycle lane
    Hardly the biggest issue though, most of the lanes had broken lines so hard to tell if its a legal issue but most you could easily maneuvre around.

4 cars cut across me
    One or two of them appear to be turnign before you reach them, they are not in the right but you could have easily avoided two of them
    1 car drives the wrong way towards me
    1 car reversing up the cycle lane
    1 motorcyclist who admits multiple incidents of road rage
    I would be complaining to the Gardai, not pasting it on youtube (which achieves nothing) but thats my preference.
    But we should get MI5 to ID me so I can be prosecuted for overtaking a car on the inside that I NEVER ACTUALLY OVERTAKE
    bit of a waste of resources, I think the thread title is a bit misleading, you don't seem aggressive from my viewing of the video, (only heard the sound today). You could maybe read the road a bit better as one or two of the issues could easily have been avoided with better road reading and positioning. Others I completely agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

At what stage of the video is the road rage that the man in the motorbike committed? It seems to me that he was followed into a petrol station by the cyclist who then proceeded to record him without his knowledge? In fact it states that the incident occurred in carrigaline which is about 15 mins of a drive from that petrol station!

clawback07 wrote: »
    Cyclenutter put the video on YouTube and didn't expect the whole world to see it ? The amount of time then dedicated to analysing nearly every turn of the pedals on the section of street looks to me like an attempt at justifying red mist . First step is get rid of the camera - did you have it when you fell off and broke your arm ? It definitely doesn't make motorists drive better , and it doesn't make you a better cyclist .As previous posts state it sure isn't a passport to successful driving convictions .

Glad to see my sarcasm doesn't go clean over your head. Oh wait! Did that go clean over your head?

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't think you did put yourself at much risk but there was some you could have avoided.

Hardly the biggest issue though, most of the lanes had broken lines so hard to tell if its a legal issue but most you could easily maneuvre around.

One or two of them appear to be turnign before you reach them, they are not in the right but you could have easily avoided two of them
    I'm not sure I get the 'easily avoided' or 'easily manouvre' logic. If I let my dog take a dump on your lawn, you can easily pick it up, right? That doesn't make it OK for me to let my dog take a dump on your lawn.

He did easily avoid the issues. He didn't hit any car. That doesn't make it OK for motorists to drive like that?
    JeffKenna wrote: »
    At what stage of the video is the road rage that the man in the motorbike committed? It seems to me that he was followed into a petrol station by the cyclist who then proceeded to record him without his knowledge? In fact it states that the incident occurred in carrigaline which is about 15 mins of a drive from that petrol station!
    What are the rules about how far away from being bullied by another road user is it OK to confront them? Is 5 minutes OK, or 10 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Glad to see my sarcasm doesn't go clean over your head. Oh wait! Did that go clean over your head?

Aah cyclenutter , the lowest form of wit ,there's a picture forming here which is being backed up by your video . It's true, a picture paints a thousand words...

• Advertisement

I never said the motorcyclist committed road rage on this video. He apologises for the abuses I accuse him of which effectively is admitting to them. If you read the book I wrote earlier in the thread you would know that he asked me to follow him into the petrol station to discuss his behaviour after I had threatened him with reporting him to the gardai

I never said the motorcyclist committed road rage on this video. He apologises for the abuses I accuse him of which effectively is admitting to them.
    Don't let the biker off the hook too easily. It was a fairly cack-handed apology. The basis of the apology was that you are a working man. He seemed to still think he was quite entitled to bully any vulnerable road user who did not meet his own personal criteria for rights to use the road.

Don't let the biker off the hook too easily. It was a fairly cack-handed apology. The basis of the apology was that you are a working man. He seemed to still think he was quite entitled to bully any vulnerable road user who did not meet his own personal criteria for rights to use the road.

I hear you. I didn't accept his apology and I don't accept his excuse. Effectively he thinks its ok to go around shouting abuse at and bullying cyclist any time you like until you find out if his purpose for cycling suits him and the other road users who's cause he declares to be championing.
    I'd like to think there are few that would agree with him or thank him for his efforts.
    I may yet report him

mawk wrote: »
    At rush hour this is simply unfair on everybody else.

I'd say the same about someone driving at 15kph, nothing to do with bicycles. Just about getting people where they need to go in a timely manner

If your assuming the mention of "carrigaline" means the route I'm taking is carrs hill then your wrong . I rarely use that route and have never met the biker on it. The road I most commonly meet him on is the ballea road and the road I refer to in the video as "this road" is the south link. Into that it matters . The notion that a cyclist is going about his business is less importantant than any other road user and that he should be chastised for just being there is nothing short of disgraceful.

I never said the motorcyclist committed road rage on this video. He apologises for the abuses I accuse him of which effectively is admitting to them. If you read the book I wrote earlier in the thread you would know that he asked me to follow him into the petrol station to discuss his behaviour after I had threatened him with reporting him to the gardai

It makes no sense to me that the first words spoken are about carrigaline when the petrol station is in on the link leaving the city. Do you have some ongoing feud with this guy?

I'm not sure I get the 'easily avoided' or 'easily manouvre' logic. If I let my dog take a dump on your lawn, you can easily pick it up, right? That doesn't make it OK for me to let my dog take a dump on your lawn.
    2 of the incidents, it seemed to me that the road user was indicating and turning before he arrived, he could have slowed, moved left into traffic etc.
    He did easily avoid the issues. He didn't hit any car. That doesn't make it OK for motorists to drive like that?
    It appears as if he hit one at the start but you are right, it doesn't make some of the bad driving any less idiotic or intolerable.
    What are the rules about how far away from being bullied by another road user is it OK to confront them? Is 5 minutes OK, or 10 minutes?
    In an ideal world, none, you shouldn't do it, in the real world it depends on how aggrieved I feel, some I wouldn't waste my breath others I would chase to the ends of the earth. This doesn't make it right but I am just being honest. The correct response is to smile, laugh, friendly wave and if they get more aggressive, alert the Gardai.

I may yet report him

I would definitely report him

It makes no sense to me that the first words spoken are about carrigaline when the petrol station is in on the link leaving the city. Do you have some ongoing feud with this guy?

About three or four years ago I was on the carrigaline ballygarvan road when this guy passed me leaned over and shouted "as***le" at me. I was cycling in a straight line about 3ft from the edge of the road .i had never seen this guy before in my life. He has repeated this and put his finger up to me and gestured me off the road several times since. On 17/03/2015 about 17:15 I was stopped at the lights at the Elysian tower waiting to turn right onto the south link when he pulled up alongside me. I recognised him straight away and confronted him on his actions. I told him i now had his license plate and I was going to report him. It was then he asked me to follow him into the petrol station. Hence the video and the garbage spewing out his mouth

About three or four years ago I was on the carrigaline ballygarvan road when this guy passed me leaned over and shouted "as***le" at me. I was cycling in a straight line about 3ft from the edge of the road .i had never seen this guy before in my life. He has repeated this and put his finger up to me and gestured me off the road several times since. On 17/03/2015 about 17:15 I was stopped at the lights at the Elysian tower waiting to turn right onto the south link when he pulled up alongside me. I recognised him straight away and confronted him on his actions. I told him i now had his license plate and I was going to report him. It was then he asked me to follow him into the petrol station. Hence the video and the garbage spewing out his mouth

I'm not sure your story is stacking up, if he asked you to follow him into the petrol station then why would he be after pulling up to a pump to fuel up. You seemed to be the instigator in that bit of aggression.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure your story is stacking up, if he asked you to follow him into the petrol station then why would he be after pulling up to a pump to fuel up. You seemed to be the instigator in that bit of aggression.

Possibly because he had indented to stop at the petrol station to get petrol? It's not really rocket science.

But feel free to keep on the victim-blaming agenda if you prefer...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement