Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overly aggressive and dangerous cyclist makes video...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

These threads get so much more entertaining when the videographer rocks up to mount a defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

RainyDay wrote: »
    Possibly because he had indented to stop at the petrol station to get petrol? It's not really rocket science.

But feel free to keep on the victim-blaming agenda if you prefer...

Or maybe the whole story is twisted to suit the cyclist? Not really rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cyclenutter

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm not sure your story is stacking up, if he asked you to follow him into the petrol station then why would he be after pulling up to a pump to fuel up. You seemed to be the instigator in that bit of aggression.

Are you serious?
    Sorry to rain on your Woodward and Bernstein moment I don't deny being the "instigator" of this discussion( I think "aggression" is a bit of a stretch). I've openly admitted I confronted him at the lights with the same argument before following him in at his request so ist hardly "biker gate". He's admitting to the accusations by way of apologising for them. Clearly the threat of gardai has softened his cough as his boohoo la de da demenour is far from tough biker dude who goes around shouting "as****le" at strangers.

Are you serious?
    Sorry to rain on your Woodward and Bernstein moment I don't deny being the "instigator" of this discussion( I think "aggression" is a bit of a stretch). I've openly admitted I confronted him at the lights with the same argument before following him in at his request so ist hardly "biker gate". He's admitting to the accusations by way of apologising for them. Clearly the threat of gardai has softened his cough as his boohoo la de da demenour is far from tough biker dude who goes around shouting "as****le" at strangers.

But sur you're the one swearing at every single car in the video and you suddenly expect us to believe, with no evidence, that this man has been abusing you on the road for years. Maybe he just decided to give you some abuse back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But sur you're the one swearing at every single car in the video and you suddenly expect us to believe, with no evidence, that this man has been abusing you on the road for years. Maybe he just decided to give you some abuse back?

TBF Cyclenutter does not seem that aggressive, if he is, then the definition for aggressive has lowered considerably.

The Motorcylist apologises in the video, neither seem to be shouting, I can't see the motorcyclist apologising unless he was in fact, in the wrong, or he just wanted cylenutter to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

blade1 wrote: »
    At least at 2.00 when the car pulled across him..
    The South Infirmary was right across the road.:)

A & E is closed down there now... They do still have a morgue though !!
    The fella seems to have problems at the same dodgy junction everyday.

Ploughing on regardless through a location you know to be unsafe is really foolish.

True enough. I pass through this junction 5 or 6 times a week, by Car, Van and Motorbike and occasionally walking. It's a dodgy junction in any of those modes and I treat it as such. Don't know why a vulnerable cyclist who knows the junction well would treat it any differently, but he does.
    Funny how with all that distance most of the incicidents involve about 200m of the only cycle lane I use

....Which should surely be ringing bells with you ???

Dangerous junction...possibly get delayed....might be a bit slow getting through it.... hotspot for dozy drivers and dodgy parking.... traffic likely to come from almost any direction....

Accept that junction for what it is, take a chill pill, slow down and concentrate on getting through it alive, which might not quite be on your own terms, but once you learn to accept that you'll find that you're a lot calmer about it.

if that doesn't work try coming down High St instead, at least the junction there should be safer.

Sorry bud
    Wrong again "langer" isn't a swear word. Haven't you heard the song. And there was me thinking I had to catch him on video and put it on YouTube to expose the cyclist hating"langer"
    When all I had do was enter this forum to find you doing it all by yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I think the bikers use of the word asshole is probably near enough to the mark , anyway cycle nutter , keep codding yourself that you're in the right and keep ploughing through them junctions and some day , something like a 2 ton landcruiser with a distracted driver will be definitely in the wrong but at least you'll be right, I just hope you don't have any kids to leave fatherless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Cyclenutter - you are cycling aggressively and dangerously. There's also plenty of road rage here. You should be using public transport as you're a menace on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Lumen wrote: »
    These threads get so much more entertaining when the videographer rocks up to mount a defence.

Even better when said videographer clearly has 'issues'.

Cyclenutter, get a life and chill out before you have a meltdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

cyclenutter is a saint compared to that cycledub chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Or maybe the whole story is twisted to suit the cyclist? Not really rocket science.

Did you actually listen to the bikers response when challenged?

If you didn't, give it a shot. It will reassure you as to the non-twisted nature of the story.

Are you one of those guys who tells the girl who got raped that she shouldn't have worn the short skirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cyclenutter is a saint compared to that cycledub chap.

CycleDub, now there's a proper Master Debater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Of all the usernames available you chose 'cyclenutter', really not doing yourself any favours.

Did you actually listen to the bikers response when challenged?

If you didn't, give it a shot. It will reassure you as to the non-twisted nature of the story.

Are you one of those guys who tells the girl who got raped that she shouldn't have worn the short skirt?

That's actually a disgusting response. I presume you know little of the hurt rape can cause on people's lives.

MOD VOICE: Lets all try and play nice and leave the analogies alone.

Also, I have let it slip in this thread for no other reason than I have been lazy. From now on, attack the post not the poster, the next person not to follow this basic tenant gets a card or holiday.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Of all the usernames available you chose 'cyclenutter', really not doing yourself any favours.

Look at the thread title. You'll have to agree I think it was already chosen for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eric Pode of Croydon

Having come back to this thread after a few days I must say my head hurts after reading the stuff that concerns cyclists. My main concern on my commute or any other cycle is to stay safe and come home to my family in one piece!

If I was to concern myself with the rules to the extent that has been displayed in this thread and get annoyed at every infringement I come across I would have been dead a long time ago - maybe not from cycling but perhaps from a coronary.

I have to admit to having my own moments of indignation and self righteousness in the past but I have learned that displaying these attributes while actually on the bike is a big, big mistake and a threat mainly to my own safety never mind anyone else's. Staying calm while cycling has been the biggest contributor to my safety. As someone has already said - we do not live in a perfect world. Not every driver hates cyclists and guess what - cyclists make mistakes too.

Having come back to this thread after a few days I must say my head hurts after reading the stuff that concerns cyclists. My main concern on my commute or any other cycle is to stay safe and come home to my family in one piece!

If I was to concern myself with the rules to the extent that has been displayed in this thread and get annoyed at every infringement I come across I would have been dead a long time ago - maybe not from cycling but perhaps from a coronary.

I have to admit to having my own moments of indignation and self righteousness in the past but I have learned that displaying these attributes while actually on the bike is a big, big mistake and a threat mainly to my own safety never mind anyone else's. Staying calm while cycling has been the biggest contributor to my safety. As someone has already said - we do not live in a perfect world. Not every driver hates cyclists and guess what - cyclists make mistakes too.

It's not an either/or choice between noticing/videoing/challenging driving infringements and staying calm. It is fairly easy to notice driving infringements, to video those infringements and stick them up on YouTube, and to challenge directly the drivers making those infringements while still staying perfectly calm.

People need to learn the difference between being assertive and being aggressive. There is nothing aggressive in this video. Most of the stuff that comes out of a cyclist's mouth while in traffic is not heard by drivers - it's just talking to yourself really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I'm trying to figure out if I know that cyclist. Blue kit with a red stripe. God he's a scourge.

It was 8pm on a Thursday, I was going from Douglas to the Marina via the Well and Boreenmana Roads. Two cyclists rounded the corner onto the Well Road, cycled all the way to the Blackrock two abreast. They created a trail of cars which was all the way back from the roundabout to Douglas. There would have been more than sufficient room at the roundabout to let some cars overtake them but instead they wove back and forth, even stopping for a conversation and continuing to block traffic up at the first left turn to go down to Silver Key. They turned a five minute trip into one over twice that. The solo cyclist continued to weave back and forth in front of the cars up that last bit of hill to the lights in Blackrock.

I was stopped at the lights behind a few other cars and the cyclist had pulled into the top of the queue of the lane on the right, turning to go Mahon direction. I decided the cars behind me had been held up for so long that another few seconds would hardly matter, so I rolled my window down and said

"You realise ye were holding up about 50 cars between here and Douglas? You're why reasonable people like me hate cyclists."

He just nodded and continued to smile like a sociopath. I saw him a few days later breaking red lights in Glanmire and snapped a picture as I sat in traffic but it's terrible quality. I wish there was some way to put him off the road without murdering him.

• Advertisement

Chloris wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if I know that cyclist. Blue kit with a red stripe. God he's a scourge.

It was 8pm on a Thursday, I was going from Douglas to the Marina via the Well and Boreenmana Roads. Two cyclists rounded the corner onto the Well Road, cycled all the way to the Blackrock two abreast. They created a trail of cars which was all the way back from the roundabout to Douglas. There would have been more than sufficient room at the roundabout to let some cars overtake them but instead they wove back and forth, even stopping for a conversation and continuing to block traffic up at the first left turn to go down to Silver Key. They turned a five minute trip into one over twice that. The solo cyclist continued to weave back and forth in front of the cars up that last bit of hill to the lights in Blackrock.

I was stopped at the lights behind a few other cars and the cyclist had pulled into the top of the queue of the lane on the right, turning to go Mahon direction. I decided the cars behind me had been held up for so long that another few seconds would hardly matter, so I rolled my window down and said

"You realise ye were holding up about 50 cars between here and Douglas? You're why reasonable people like me hate cyclists."

He just nodded and continued to smile like a sociopath. I saw him a few days later breaking red lights in Glanmire and snapped a picture as I sat in traffic but it's terrible quality. I wish there was some way to put him off the road without murdering him.

MOD VOICE: Please don't re post this as per our PM. To all other posters, please do not reply to or bring points from this post into the discussion. Please PM me for discussion if you need to talk about it.

Well said. When I posted the video I was portraying snippets to highlight what it's like to cycle in a typical urban area in Ireland and the different attitudes from other road users that make that experience all the more difficult. In this forum and on YouTube comments I come under criticism and when defending myself, it comes off as though I'm being righteous and therefore that the video is all about righteousness. It's not. It's about council policy to retrofit towns and city's with cycling infrastructure ( much of it flawed) and making no effort to retrofit a car only mentality. Ah sure they'll all figure it out eventually. It's about the need to educate other road users that bike here, their on the rise, get with it and get used to it. Oh yeah! And it's about exposing an idiot either the mos appalling attitude to cyclists. I feel if I didn't have a recording no one would ever believe me he exists.
    While I have to admit I come across a grumpy git in the video, I don't have a horn so much of shouting is to alert the car to my presence. And as the mic is just bellow my chin so it picks up every utterance though I expect no one to hear it , nor do they hear it. ( I do shout langer at the bus driver, like I said before I'm not perfect and I'm clearly crap at dubbing out sound with iMovie.
    I do love and enjoy cycling, but it gets very frustrating when there are glaringly obvious problems and difficulties there and the authorities just paint a line on the ground and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Please don't re post this as per our PM. To all other posters, please do not reply to or bring points from this post into the discussion. Please PM me for discussion if you need to talk about it.

Out of genuine curiosity what was wrong with that post?

I can't see anything inflammatory in it - maybe i'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time)

It's not an either/or choice between noticing/videoing/challenging driving infringements and staying calm. It is fairly easy to notice driving infringements, to video those infringements and stick them up on YouTube, and to challenge directly the drivers making those infringements while still staying perfectly calm.

People need to learn the difference between being assertive and being aggressive. There is nothing aggressive in this video. Most of the stuff that comes out of a cyclist's mouth while in traffic is not heard by drivers - it's just talking to yourself really.

I don't think any psychologist worth their salt would agree with you there.
    Ranting to yourself, whether the intended target hears it or not, is a sign of aggression and if you are consistently carrying that around with you, it will catch you out at some stage, either in a cycling context, thru an accident, or with your own general wellbeing.

terrydel wrote: »
    Ranting to yourself, whether the intended target hears it or not, is a sign of aggression and if you are consistently carrying that around with you, it will catch you out at some stage, either in a cycling context, thru an accident, or with your own general wellbeing.

And you take the same view of drivers in their cars who swear or rant or laugh at other road users - right? They are all road ragers too?

fillup wrote: »
    Out of genuine curiosity what was wrong with that post?

I can't see anything inflammatory in it - maybe i'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time)

MOD VOICE: Take it to PM as instructed, not for discussion in thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

There is an analogy in this thread that I'm glad a mod stepped in before I saw it or I'd have been banned from the thread with my reply!
    Well said. When I posted the video I was portraying snippets to highlight what it's like to cycle in a typical urban area in Ireland and the different attitudes from other road users that make that experience all the more difficult. In this forum and on YouTube comments I come under criticism and when defending myself, it comes off as though I'm being righteous and therefore that the video is all about righteousness. It's not. It's about council policy to retrofit towns and city's with cycling infrastructure ( much of it flawed) and making no effort to retrofit a car only mentality. Ah sure they'll all figure it out eventually. It's about the need to educate other road users that bike here, their on the rise, get with it and get used to it. Oh yeah! And it's about exposing an idiot either the mos appalling attitude to cyclists. I feel if I didn't have a recording no one would ever believe me he exists.
    While I have to admit I come across a grumpy git in the video, I don't have a horn so much of shouting is to alert the car to my presence. And as the mic is just bellow my chin so it picks up every utterance though I expect no one to hear it , nor do they hear it. ( I do shout langer at the bus driver, like I said before I'm not perfect and I'm clearly crap at dubbing out sound with iMovie.
    I do love and enjoy cycling, but it gets very frustrating when there are glaringly obvious problems and difficulties there and the authorities just paint a line on the ground and walk away.

^^^
    I was wondering about the point of the clip but you have tried to explain yourself in this thread since you joined boards.ie as best you could and I'm very close to understanding now.

Tell me though: have you any clippets put together about
    ~ Positive Driving around Cyclists? ;
    ~ about the Courteousy shown to you as a cyclist in a very busy environment?
    ~ showing the Nice Aspects to Commuting by Bicycle?

^^ Any that you'd like to show in here to counter-act this video-clip and the comments you've received after posting?

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

And you take the same view of drivers in their cars who swear or rant or laugh at other road users - right? They are all road ragers too?

Where did I explicitly say the cyclist in question is a road rager?
    Please re-read my original post and try actually understand it.
    What I'm saying is that people regularly and constantly doing as this fella is doing, and the form of transport is completely irrelevant, have issues with aggression, that will at some point manifest themselves, more than likely in a negative way, if they are not addressed and dealt with.
    I'd suggest putting the camera away would be a good start for this guy. Its only enabling his behaviour.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I was wondering about the point of the clip but you have tried to explain yourself in this thread since you joined boards.ie as best you could and I'm very close to understanding now.

Tell me though: have you any clippets put together about

^^ Any that you'd like to show in here to counter-act this video-clip and the comments you've received after posting?

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    I was wondering about the point of your post. Tell me though: have you any posts or videos put together about

^^ Any that you'd like to show in here to counter-act this video-clip ?
    Actually, I think many psychologists would speak to the value of expressing feedback rather than bottling it up and holding on to it. There is no agression here. Cycling in a physical activity in an outdoor, noisy environment - when something negative happens, it is entirely nature for a cyclist to call out or mumble. Have a look at any driver dashcam vids and you'll see drivers grunting and mumbling and calling the other guy all kinds of names. Have a look at any Sunday morning football match and you'll hear grunts and roars and name-calling.

None of these are signs of aggression.

Where did I explicitly say the cyclist in question is a road rager?
    Please re-read my original post and try actually understand it.
    What I'm saying is that people regularly and constantly doing as this fella is doing, and the form of transport is completely irrelevant, have issues with aggression, that will at some point manifest themselves, more than likely in a negative way, if they are not addressed and dealt with.
    I'd suggest putting the camera away would be a good start for this guy. Its only enabling his behaviour.

You didn't say explicity that the cyclist in question is a road-rager. But you did say it implicitly, when you said;

"videographer clearly has 'issues' ...chill out before you have a meltdown... get past all the aggression and spoiling for a fight"

If you don't like his videos, don't watch them. You don't get to decide who does/doesn't use a video camera in a public place and publishes to YouTube.

There is no aggression in this video - just a bit of assertiveness. I can't see why people feel so threatened by simple assertion.

• Advertisement

I was wondering about the point of your post. Tell me though: have you any posts or videos put together about

I have loads, on average two a day from commuting. I have several where I am talking to drivers at traffic lights about the good weather or the bad weather and laughing. I don't load my videos to youtube though so I am not the person to say anything about this.

As for courtesy shown, i rarely think of it this way, I expect to give and receive courtesy as a driver and a cyclist. It's not a rule, I don't have to but I think that it makes life easier. When someone lets me out, I give them a thumbs up, or a wave, or a flash of the indicators. Happens daily.

As for showing the nice aspects of commuting by bike, if you do it, you know it, if you don't, nothing other than doing it will show you.
    Actually, I think many psychologists would speak to the value of expressing feedback rather than bottling it up and holding on to it. There is no agression here. Cycling in a physical activity in an outdoor, noisy environment - when something negative happens, it is entirely nature for a cyclist to call out or mumble. Have a look at any driver dashcam vids and you'll see drivers grunting and mumbling and calling the other guy all kinds of names. Have a look at any Sunday morning football match and you'll hear grunts and roars and name-calling.
    +1 if this is the barometer of aggression then everyone is screwed if this is considered overly aggressive. Hi conversation with the MBer is quite civilised if half of what ids claimed is true, most of the words to cars are muttered to himself.

You didn't say explicity that the cyclist in question is a road-rager. But you did say it implicitly, when you said;

"videographer clearly has 'issues' ...chill out before you have a meltdown... get past all the aggression and spoiling for a fight"

If you don't like his videos, don't watch them. You don't get to decide who does/doesn't use a video camera in a public place and publishes to YouTube.

There is no aggression in this video - just a bit of assertiveness. I can't see why people feel so threatened by simple assertion.

I think you are developing a form of Stockholm syndrome with this guy :D
    I only said it 'implicity' in your opinion, doesn't make it fact. Many would disagree with you. I would say I was merely making an informed comment based on what I saw. As the vast majority in this thread have done. Most adjudicating as I have on this video.
    Does it not strike you that so many of these people recording utterly mundane acts to share via the glory of the internet, seem to be angry, self righteous, and constantly seeking conflict?
    As for how a professional might view his behaviour, are you seriously suggesting they'd encourage him to give his anger an outlet while out cycling? I think theyd be dealing with the cause of said anger instead, wouldn't you?
    Bottled up or not, the fact remains hes cycling with this mentality and it wont do him any good, as at some stage it will come to a head.
    And I don't watch his videos as a rule, I just viewed this thread out of curiosity and well, without watching the video it revolves around, it would be foolish to comment.
    I think he needs to take a long, hard look at himself, and I say that only out of compassion.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

I only said it 'implicity' in your opinion, doesn't make it fact. Many would disagree with you. I would say I was merely making an informed comment based on what I saw. As the vast majority in this thread have done. Most adjudicating as I have on this video.
    Does it not strike you that so many of these people recording utterly mundane acts to share via the glory of the internet, seem to be angry, self righteous, and constantly seeking conflict?
    As for how a professional might view his behaviour, are you seriously suggesting they'd encourage him to give his anger an outlet while out cycling? I think theyd be dealing with the cause of said anger instead, wouldn't you?
    Bottled up or not, the fact remains hes cycling with this mentality and it wont do him any good, as at some stage it will come to a head.
    And I don't watch his videos as a rule, I just viewed this thread out of curiosity and well, without watching the video it revolves around, it would be foolish to comment.
    I think he needs to take a long, hard look at himself, and I say that only out of compassion.
    Take care.

Yup , it's beginning to sound like Mrs Murphy at the passing out parade in Templemore ,"they're all out of step except our Johnny " .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

He'll be asserting himself all over the footpath and road if he continues to ride up the inside of buses with tiny gaps.

mathie wrote: »
    He'll be asserting himself all over the footpath and road if he continues to ride up the inside of buses with tiny gaps.

For the record, I have no difficulty with factual criticism of his riding style. Mixing this up with criticism of his attitude is just confusing the issue.
    You're right - my opinion doesn't make it fact. Perhaps you'd like to explain the substantive difference between 'road rager' and "videographer clearly has 'issues' ...chill out before you have a meltdown... get past all the aggression and spoiling for a fight" because I'm still finding it hard to see what you're quibbling with here. You accused him of having aggression, spoiling for a fight, and going to have a meltdown. None of those things happen in this video.
    I don't see any anger in this video. I don't see any 'seeking conflict' in this video. I see motorists driving in a way that threatens his safety. He doesn't go looking for it - it happens, like it happens to me every day.

You seem to expect him to 'turn the other cheek' and ignore those people who threaten his safety, so that they can most likely continue to threaten his safety tomorrow. He takes a different approach, and I like it.

Yeah, maybe he could be accused of being self-rightous. That's a fair point. It's also often a tactic used by bullies when somebody stands up to them, or used by other oppressors when the oppressed finally do something about oppression.
    What 'anger' are you referring to? There is no 'anger' in the video. His conversation with the biker was a model of calm, assertive interaction with another person. It could be used as a case study for assertiveness training.

As for the other shouts and exclamations in the video, that's the kind of think that happens on the road all the time for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians - it's not anger.

There is no evidence of an angry riding style here.
    I think you need to take a long hard look at how your slightly patronising 'advice' will impact road safety. Your advice with enable and encourage drivers to do the same oul stuff day after day, endangering cyclists. He's doing something to change this. You seem to want him to tug his forelock and say thanks to the nice drivers for not killing him today.

For the record, I have no difficulty with factual criticism of his riding style. Mixing this up with criticism of his attitude is just confusing the issue.

You're right - my opinion doesn't make it fact. Perhaps you'd like to explain the substantive difference between 'road rager' and "videographer clearly has 'issues' ...chill out before you have a meltdown... get past all the aggression and spoiling for a fight" because I'm still finding it hard to see what you're quibbling with here. You accused him of having aggression, spoiling for a fight, and going to have a meltdown. None of those things happen in this video.

I don't see any anger in this video. I don't see any 'seeking conflict' in this video. I see motorists driving in a way that threatens his safety. He doesn't go looking for it - it happens, like it happens to me every day.

You seem to expect him to 'turn the other cheek' and ignore those people who threaten his safety, so that they can most likely continue to threaten his safety tomorrow. He takes a different approach, and I like it.

Yeah, maybe he could be accused of being self-rightous. That's a fair point. It's also often a tactic used by bullies when somebody stands up to them, or used by other oppressors when the oppressed finally do something about oppression.

What 'anger' are you referring to? There is no 'anger' in the video. His conversation with the biker was a model of calm, assertive interaction with another person. It could be used as a case study for assertiveness training.

As for the other shouts and exclamations in the video, that's the kind of think that happens on the road all the time for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians - it's not anger.

There is no evidence of an angry riding style here.

I think you need to take a long hard look at how your slightly patronising 'advice' will impact road safety. Your advice with enable and encourage drivers to do the same oul stuff day after day, endangering cyclists. He's doing something to change this. You seem to want him to tug his forelock and say thanks to the nice drivers for not killing him today.

I'd be wasting my time explaining anything further to you, as clearly we will never agree. And I've far more productive things to be doing.
    You have your opinion of his behaviour/attitude/approach to cycling and life in general. and I've mine. The world would be a dull place if we all agreed.
    Now I'm off to try out the world's fastest production motorcycle :D
    Have a wonderful day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mawk wrote: »
    ... It's also a steep hill. So cycling forces 400 cars to go at the speed of a bicycle up a hill.
    At rush hour this is simply unfair on everybody else...
    400 cars? Really??

Average vehicle length = 4 metres. Travelling at 15km/h - say 5 metres apart. Are you seriously expecting us to believe that a bicycle in Cork will cause a 3.6 km tailback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

400 cars? Really??

Average vehicle length = 4 metres. Travelling at 15km/h - say 5 metres apart. Are you seriously expecting us to believe that a bicycle in Cork will cause a 3.6 km tailback?

We can probably blame you for every traffic jam on the east coast so! :)

Now I'm off to try out the world's fastest production motorcycle
    Please do post a video, so we can nitpick at your riding style and attitude.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have loads, on average two a day from commuting. I have several where I am talking to drivers at traffic lights about the good weather or the bad weather and laughing. I don't load my videos to youtube though so I am not the person to say anything about this.

As for courtesy shown, i rarely think of it this way, I expect to give and receive courtesy as a driver and a cyclist. It's not a rule, I don't have to but I think that it makes life easier. When someone lets me out, I give them a thumbs up, or a wave, or a flash of the indicators. Happens daily.

As for showing the nice aspects of commuting by bike, if you do it, you know it, if you don't, nothing other than doing it will show you.
    Just to be clear, my retort was directed at whoever suggested that cyclenutter needs to be balanced in his coverage.

Cyclenutter isn't RTE. He doesn't need to be balanced. YOu might as well ask Iona to highlight the benefits of same sex marriage. Cyclenutter is a bloke with an iPhone who chose to share his experiences. He doesn't have to be balanced or fair or consistent.

If someone thinks there is a gap or a need for other coverage, let them produce it themselves.

If someone thinks there is a gap or a need for other coverage, let them produce it themselves.

I got what you were implying, my response was more for those who might think that cycling is like that all the time.

Nearly got doored this morning myself, I looked back and seen the driver apologising and looking worried. I smiled and said it's OK. Wasn't intentional and the angle of the car, I could see how I may have just went into their blind spot as they reached over the seat.

Looked back at my helmet cam, looks like I am waving my head in annoyance and gesturing back inappropriately. Guess thats why videos can be considedred biased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Have you ever made a mistake while cycling? e.g. didn't see something coming, misread a situation etc.

UDP wrote: »
    Have you ever made a mistake while cycling? e.g. didn't see something coming, misread a situation etc.

Of course I have. In a car and on the bike. I did say "I'm not perfect" in the post you quoted and other posts. An if someone blows a horn or calls out to me for my indiscretion , I understand why and I don't accuse them of having anger management issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Of course I have. In a car and on the bike. I did say "I'm not perfect" in the post you quoted and other posts. An if someone blows a horn or calls out to me for my indiscretion , I understand why and I don't accuse them of having anger management issues.
    My point is not about calling others out for mistakes. It is that you know others will make mistakes (including yourself) so your cycling should reflect that - everyone on the road has a duty of care under law for their own safety and other person using a public road and all road users' property. The clips you show have you cycling aggressively in a shared environment e.g. cycling too fast on the left hand side of cars (and bus) approaching junctions, and not giving an inch for other road users. The car with the reflective markings on the back didn't even do anything wrong - at worst it was a minor inconvenience that would have slowed you down.

The only issues really were a car veered over without indicating (although you didn't need to speed up to try go up the inside when it was clear the car was veering in and you had enough time to slow down but nevertheless the driver made a mistake by not indicating), cars stopped or parked on two of the junctions which is illegal and a gobsh*te on a motorbike was ignorant.

400 cars? Really??

The only evidence in the video of the route Mawk has pointed to is the mention of Carrigaline and the location of the clip - the south link road. So I think I can safely assume assume he's talking about Carrs Hill (n28 climb - to stravites) as its the most direct route between these two points. As I've said before I rarely use this way and I've never encountered the biker on it. It's about 2.7kms at 3% which if he considers steep he clearly doesn't get out much. It's a fairly wide stretch with a decent hard shoulder for the first km developing into a dual lane for the next 800m then back to a single wide enough road for any vehicle to pass until it narrows somewhat at the crest for maybe 300m before widening again a good hard shoulder again. I can't say I've ever held up anyone on this hill except for 20 -30seconds at the top. Certainly not 400 more like 4. At peak hours there's often tailbacks here without a bike in sight. In fact any time I have used it during peak it's I'm passing them.

UDP wrote: »
    My point is not about calling others out for mistakes. It is that you know others will make mistakes (including yourself) so your cycling should reflect that - everyone on the road has a duty of care under law for their own safety and other person using a public road and all road users' property. The clips you show have you cycling aggressively in a shared environment e.g. cycling too fast on the left hand side of cars (and bus) approaching junctions, and not giving an inch for other road users. The car with the reflective markings on the back didn't even do anything wrong - at worst it was a minor inconvenience that would have slowed you down.

The only issues really were a car veered over without indicating (although you didn't need to speed up to try go up the inside when it was clear the car was veering in and you had enough time to slow down but nevertheless the driver made a mistake by not indicating), cars stopped or parked on two of the junctions which is illegal and a gobsh*te on a motorbike was ignorant.

I am well aware of my duty of care - particularly for myself. After all any failure by any party is far more likely to end with injury to me than anyone else. I totally disagree that I am cycling aggressively or too fast. Turn off the sound and watch again it's not that fast.The video shows where I need to stop I do stop and I am always in control. How you determine that I accelerate coming to the red van I don't know. I always freewheel this portion of road with my hands on the hood ready to break.I navigate this junction twice a day 5-6 days a week for the last 12 years. That equates to over 3000 times and I've never done harm to myself or anyone else despite many events like you see here.

At no point have I graded the seriousness of ANY of the clips. TBH at the time of each event I recall seeing them as a nuisance more than life threatening. I agree the hi vis guy is no big deal but he and the driver that enters my lane the wrong way indicate the attitude of some drivers who look straight at you and dismiss you. They would not do that to a car

Take care.

Remember this video is 4mins out of cycling on about 500m of road taken over the past year. 16000km's during over 550hrs o f cycling means the clip represents .001% of my time on the road. And you think a handful of pretty normal responses to people who's actions could result in my inconvenience injury or worse it qualifies you that I approach all my cycling with aggression and anger.
    Almost all the people I've shown the clip to are amazed that after I leave the biker guy, he isn't being carted of to hospital to get my cleat back out of his stomach through his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Almost all the people I've shown the clip to are amazed that after I leave the biker guy, he isn't being carted of to hospital to get my cleat back out of his stomach through his arse.

Jaysus you're away with the fairies now pal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm all about staying alive.

I couldn't give a crap about my rights etc.

I don't think the person who put up those videos is on the same page as me :/

What was the point in bothering to write those long essays claiming you aren't aggressive when you come out with a comment like that?

I'm all about staying alive.

I couldn't give a crap about my rights etc.

I don't think the person who put up those videos is on the same page as me :/

I think we're all forgetting about another road user in pedestrians. At the junction by where paddy the farmers pub used to be, cyclenutter is using the 1k downhill slope to gain some serious speed passing cars caught in traffic. What happens if someone steps out in front of him?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement