Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs that we've never heard

Options
  • 06-05-2015 6:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

There didn't seem to be a similar thread to this already. Quite a simple task, isn't it! Post a song that you think is good, but yet not well known. It doesn't mean it can't be by an artist that IS well known.

As a music buff I'm constantly looking for new music, and am of course I'm sick of the predictable songs on the radio. It seems the only place I have for discovering good song(that I haven't hea before), is on the John Creedon show.

Here's a few examples I think fit the category:

Sartorial Eloquence - Elton John
    Ghost in my guitar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7CacBiOB7Q
    What it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2ddQRlgcE
    Girl from Ipanema - Frank Sinatra
    Poor Shirely - Christopher Cross
    Dance with Life - Bryan Ferry

Examples that wouldn't fit the category:

U2 - Beautiful Day
    Billy Joel - Piano Man
    Pogues - Fairytail of New York

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Having not heard songs I haven't heard...I'm a bit lost.

Girl from Ipanema, really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

Birneybau wrote: »
    Having not heard songs I haven't heard...I'm a bit lost.

Girl from Ipanema, really?
    Don't be so obtuse! I'd expect that kind of attitude in the after hours forum. Yes, I've never heard 'Girl from Ipanema' on the radio, and I doubt I ever will.

Obviously you haven't heard the other songs I mentioned. Hope you enjoyed them (if you listened), as that's the whole point.

Now, back to where we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One of my all time favourite songs is 'one headlight' by The Wallflowers.

A band with a handful of albums out but I'd hazard a guess few people know of them. Bob Dylans son Jakob is the lead singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Up the junction by squeeze,heard it in breaking bad too, so it's probably more popular than I thought at the time. I think it's a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Up the junction by squeeze,heard it in breaking bad too, so it's probably more popular than I thought at the time. I think it's a good one

That is in fact a pretty well-known song and was a big hit for Squeeze and it does turn up on radio.

I would say good songs that we've never heard on radio (or rarely if ever) would be many album tracks.

Here are a few random examples of such songs (some may have been singles as well) :

Turn of the Century, Parallels and Awaken - all from the album Going for The One by Yes

Everyone Everywhere (from Republic) by New Order

Reality, Try All You Want, Some Distant Memory - all from the album Electronic by Electronic

Territorial P***ings (from Nevermind) by Nirvana

No. 13 Baby (from Doolittle) by The Pixies

Small Blue Thing (from Suzanne Vega) by Suzanne Vega

Tinseltown in the Rain (from A Walk Across the Rooftops) by The Blue Nile

Mercy Street (from So) by Peter Gabriel

Many too Many (from And Then There Were Three) by Genesis

One Clear Moment (from One Clear Moment) by Linda Thompson

Swamp Thing (from Strange Times) by The Chameleons

Put Down That Weapon (from Diesel and Dust) by Midnight Oil

We Let The Stars Go (from: 1. Jordan: The Comeback, 2. A Life of Surprises: The Best of Prefab Sprout) by Prefab Sprout

Listen (from Songs from the Big Chair) by Tears for Fears

There are many many more - they are just examples I could think of at the spur of the moment!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    One of my all time favourite songs is 'one headlight' by The Wallflowers.

A band with a handful of albums out but I'd hazard a guess few people know of them. Bob Dylans son Jakob is the lead singer.
    I never knew that that was Dylan's son.

I first came across that band when I heard their cover of 'Heroes' on Godzilla

I think their version of Heroes is one of the best covers I've ever heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

the very underrated matt johnson (the the)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

How obscure are we going here? And how do we define good? :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Anything by The The !!

• Advertisement

It is, indeed, true that the output of The The is brilliant and very little of them (him!) would be heard on the radio. Apart from a couple of songs from Infected (Infected and Heartland particularly), and The Beaten Generation from Mindbomb, when said songs were in the charts, they have not got a lot of airplay, bar the odd nighttime program. Even TxFM rarely plays The The. The first album Soul Mining, from which This is the Day is taken, only got an airing at nighttime. One track in particular from Soul Mining that I would attribute greatness to would be Uncertain Smile, which features Jools Holland on piano.

It is, indeed, true that the output of The The is brilliant and very little of them (him!) would be heard on the radio. Apart from a couple of songs from Infected (Infected and Heartland particularly), and The Beaten Generation from Mindbomb, when said songs were in the charts, they have not got a lot of airplay, bar the odd nighttime program. Even TxFM rarely plays The The. The first album Soul Mining, from which This is the Day is taken, only got an airing at nighttime. One track in particular from Soul Mining that I would attribute greatness to would be Uncertain Smile, which features Jools Holland on piano.
    If I was to take a wild guess, I'd say you also play music?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Never heard this on d'wireless...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Discovered this band thanks to the original version of Napster and bought the CD this track is taken from. Great party band

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

And then there's this guy, who NEVER gets played on the radio here:

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Could listen to this all day - random Blur B side

and this from Modern Life is Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

brilliant song from a brilliant album...

On the subject of Lennon ,, I always thought Watching The Wheels was one of his best ever songs.

It's rarely heard. In fact I have never heard it played on the radio ..

If I was to take a wild guess, I'd say you also play music?

No! I am neither a deejay or a seasoned musician!

NIMAN wrote: »
    On the subject of Lennon ,, I always thought Watching The Wheels was one of his best ever songs.

It's rarely heard. In fact I have never heard it played on the radio ..

Yes, it has been played on the radio. That is I where I heard the song mostly! I would not agree that it was one of his best ever songs - it's middling - but each to their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm guessing pretty much everyone has heard Rod Stewarts version of I Don't Want To Talk About It but not the vastly superior original by Crazy Horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I'm guessing pretty much everyone has heard Rod Stewarts version of I Don't Want To Talk About It but not the vastly superior original by Crazy Horse.

I love it! Must admit I only found out pretty recently, last year or two, that it was Crazy Horse's song, but I love it. Love pretty much everything I've heard from Neil Young/Crazy Horse, keep meaning to listen to more of Crazy Horse 'solo' (for a band, but you know what I mean ha ha) stuff.

This is a song I feel is relatively unknown, by a great great band;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

This is unique and I listen to it most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Everything but the Girl done a great version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭RayCon

Swedish band (now defunct) Silverbullit : Joy (the album is called Citizen Bird but because there was already an artist in the US called Silver Bullet - they called themselves Citizen Bird and the album Silverbullit)

Advertisement