Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vandalism from local kids

Options
  • 06-05-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I just need some advice from anyone in the know! I live in a complex of 40 duplex apartments. I'm house sitting on a long term basis for a very sick family member in order to maintain the property. Eventually it will be sold, but not in the near future.

There are four troublesome local young boys living in the complex. Two are brothers age 5 and 11, the other two are brothers aged 9 and 11. Yesterday I had a mechanic come to look at my car on the street. The kids began to pester him, thumping and kicking his back. They then began to pull up clumps of grass and mud, pelted it at his van, at my car, at my front door, windows and at the mechanic himself. One child opened the car doors, tried to turn it on, took a coat out etc. I went outside to ask them to stop and turned to talk to the mechanic. I then had mud smeared into the back of my clothes for my troubles. As I went back in, one child entered the property shouting and ran back out.

I'm a little unsure about what to do. I know it's not right that the kids can do this, and I feel like I can't leave my own car outside without it being damaged. However I'm reluctant to mention it to the parents as they can be confrontational. Is it worth noting this incident with the guards? I've had to clean my car, front door and pay extra to the mechanic for his van to be cleaned.

Edit **this was pretty much constant for the 2 hours the mechanic worked**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Id definitely start with the guards. No doubt it will be the first in a long line of troubles with the gardai for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do mention it to the Garda, but you don't necessarily need to press charges.

Is there the possibility of a social, as opposed to policing response,e g. via community, social worker, teacher, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We had some minors causing damage at work and even breaking into the office and stealing some stuff. We knew some of them and were still told by guards that there is very little they can do because they are minors and they need parent's permission. Are you sure there is no point talking to parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you know where the kids live then make a complaint to the guards especially as you have a witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If you know that the parents are renting or are council tenants then you can make a complaint through the PRTB against their Landlord or you can complain to the council.

Record every detail, keep notes of every incident including as much detail as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I have a huge aversion to making any sort of complaints, as does my partner but yesterday was a step too far. I think I might just drop into the local station in person at the weekend.

Thinking on my feet, I managed to get a video of some of the damage being done so I do have it documented well. I know the names of the parents too.

I would be very reluctant to talk to the parents. They are quick to anger (from what I regularly hear and see!).

I would be almost 100% sure they are also tenants as they have moved in at a time when none of the apartments were for sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is there a management company in the complex, if so mention it to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Log the report with the Gardai, but don't expect them to be able to do anything to the minors.

Get onto a solicitor about being able to represent the sick family member, so that the management company talks to you, as opposed to fobbing you off as you don't own anything in the complex. Once you can talk to them, complain about the anti-social behaviour from the families, and pressure them into sorting it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Guards plain and simple. If you get no joy progress it through the chain of command. Try and get video if at all possible.

If you're in a position to consult a solicitor in regard to getting a letter sent to the parents. If not try FLAC.

Absolutely unbelieveable that kids can be let run riot like this. I'd be on to social services in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This S*** needs to have a conséquence.The parents should be fined and payment taken from welfare. Yes you can assume they are on welfare no parent who works would except this behaviour from their kids. I think the age of responsability should be around 12yrs. They know very well at that age whats right and wrong crime wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Report to the Gardai all incidents, once you turn 12 in this country you can be charged with criminal offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

This S*** needs to have a conséquence.The parents should be fined and payment taken from welfare. Yes you can assume they are on welfare no parent who works would except this behaviour from their kids. I think the age of responsability should be around 12yrs. They know very well at that age whats right and wrong crime wise.

no parent who works would except this behaviour from their kids.
    That simply is not true .........

By the way criminal responsibility already starts at age 12 in Ireland, the children in this incident fall below that age group.

Op I would report this incident to the Guards, the Management Company, Social Services, the local Council and anybody else you can think of .......... it might do no good but it's better than doing nothing and just accepting this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Report to the Gardai and get a incident number if you can and also the name of the Garda you dealt with. Report every incident. Hopefully they might do a call out to these brats and scare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This S*** needs to have a conséquence.The parents should be fined and payment taken from welfare. Yes you can assume they are on welfare no parent who works would except this behaviour from their kids.
    Bigotry / trolling not welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Yes you can assume they are on welfare no parent who works would except this behaviour from their kids. I think the age of responsability should be around 12yrs. They know very well at that age whats right and wrong crime wise.

What he says is a bit presumtuous but to be fair to the guy he is not entirely off the mark either. My parents are respected professionals and worked damn hard to give my siblings and I a decent upbringing. If we ever did what happened to the OP there would be hell to pay! It simply would not be tolerated!
    I would also note that there is a certain estate in a local village where there would be a big unemployment problem and the place is a no-go area with out of control youths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What he says is a bit presumtuous but to be fair to the guy he is not entirely off the mark either. My parents are respected professionals and worked damn hard to give my siblings and I a decent upbringing. If we ever did what happened to the OP there would be hell to pay! It simply would not be tolerated!
    I would also note that there is a certain estate in a local village where there would be a big unemployment problem and the place is a no-go area with out of control youths.

You're speaking from an individual point of view whereas that poster was making an unacceptable generalisation.

Advertisement