Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to identify an artist's name.

• 06-05-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

A friend of mine has a painting which was passed from her grandfather to her father and now to her. Her father thought it was commissioned by his father in Germany, sometime before or after the second world war.

I've tried googling/wikipediaing all sorts of variations of what the letters in the signature might be, but am not having any success.

Does anybody recognise this signature?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

Do you think the artist would be German? Do you know the time period of the painting? Is there any labels or writing on the back of the painting? Could you supply a photo of the whole painting? Is there any other info you can offer that you might think can help, I'd love it if you could let me know of you ever figure this out (I love art history and the discovery of old masterpieces!!). It's a beautiful signature by the way, pity it's so indistinguishable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

Could it be "A Naümann"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NerdyD

Perhaps, and I'm just guessing here, that could be a signature of Abraham Neumann...if it's a painting of some sort of scenery, he did those. And from what I can see searching his paintings he was changing his signature. On the painting "Old city of Jerusalem" N is quite similar to that one you have there. Maybe with time he changed A too.
    Hope you figure it out soon.

NerdyD wrote: »
    Perhaps, and I'm just guessing here, that could be a signature of Abraham Neumann...if it's a painting of some sort of scenery, he did those. And from what I can see searching his paintings he was changing his signature. On the painting "Old city of Jerusalem" N is quite similar to that one you have there. Maybe with time he changed A too.
    Hope you figure it out soon.

You have a definite match with "Abraham Neumann" OP, I'd nearly be 100% sure. His signature changes quite a bit from painting to painting (a google image search of his name will show you this), so the you provided is just too alike to not be him; and due to the artist's stature, a forgery is out of the question. I have never heard of this artist, but he has a very definite and unique style. As NerdyD said, he seems to focus his oeuvre on landscape paintings and particularly on streetscapes, unusually painted in very warm tones; does this correlate with yout artwork OP?

I tried to check some of his work on auction websites, and the prevailing average price seems to be in the low thousands. So, depending on its condition, provenance, and subject etc it could be worth a substantial amount!

www. blouinartinfo.com/artists/abraham-neumann-133377 (REMOVE SPACE AFTER www. IN LINK)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the replies on this. I reckon ye've solved the mystery. :D

I've attached a pic of the painting.

As I mentioned in the original post, my friend's grandfather, in Germany, apparently commissioned the artist for this scene. She was told it was around the time of the second world war, and with the fact that Abraham Neumann apparently died in 1942, it must have been before the war. :)

The painting was handed down to her father and now to her. I don't think she'd be interested in selling it, but I will pass along the info that you have kindly provided.

Thanks a lot folks.

• Advertisement

No problem :)
    Mystery solved, love that..

NerdyD wrote: »
    No problem :)
    Mystery solved, love that..

May I ask how you identified the artist? Did you know of him previously? Or did you guess the letters? Well done anyway.

Also guys, if you are interested, i have posted a suggested new forum for art history and appreciation, to deal with topics such as this one. I just thought yee might want to +1 it seeing as you are might have an interest in art! Thanks
    www. boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057466328 (REMOVE SPACE AFTER www. IN LINK)

MrYlad wrote: »
    May I ask how you identified the artist? Did you know of him previously? Or did you guess the letters? Well done anyway.

:D Thanks. Didn't know of him...I guess I have a good eye for stuff like that and mad googling skills hahahha and I really do like discovering artists I've never heard of before, so it was a fun task.

Advertisement