Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is teething affecting your baby?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

My little guy is 7months and having a terrible time with them. He has not smiled for a whole week now. He is so quiet but at the same time is obviously annoyed by his teeth as he tries to bite into everything. I have heard that it can come in waves of a few days of bad form to a week. My guy is at a week now. No teeth cut yet but soon hopefully if it makes him better. Has anyone similar experiences? I feel so bad for him and miss my happy chappy. He had a couple of off days together and then was in great form again for couple of days but this phase is dragging on. Maybe this means the teeth are almost here? He is sleeping grand, eating grand but not in good form and seldom smiles unless it's first thing when I get him up. Very serious at best, grumpy at worst.

PS can't seem to change title! That was meant to end "baby".....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Head to the north and get some calgel.

Great stuff altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

My Lil girl is nearly 8 months and has 6 teeth, I thought when the 6th tooth cut she would get a break but she's still teething mad. She's the same, she won't smile, grinds her teeth together and not sleeping great. Calpol and nurofen are doing nothing for her. You would hate to see them in pain, poor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Oh my chap is the same. He is sooo serious! Teeth are at him. Nothing works. We can't get any smiles out of him at all. We visited a cousin over the weekend. He's only amonth older and I was envious. He was so smiley and so much fun, all chat and craic. Our little man is not at all happy these days. We can't seem to get any glimmers of a smile. He's like a different child this past 1-2 weeks. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

73trix wrote: »
    Oh my chap is the same. He is sooo serious! Teeth are at him. Nothing works. We can't get any smiles out of him at all. We visited a cousin over the weekend. He's only amonth older and I was envious. He was so smiley and so much fun, all chat and craic. Our little man is not at all happy these days. We can't seem to get any glimmers of a smile. He's like a different child this past 1-2 weeks. :(

God, I'm glad it,s not just my baby. It's over a week now and bar the first smile in the morning when I take him up, he honestly has not smiled. He's not in bad form as such, he's not irritable but he looks fed up or something. My partner and I are killed trying to get him to smile. It seems abnormal. That's why I posted. I wish he would smile again and show us he is happy. :(

Kate253 wrote: »
    God, I'm glad it,s not just my baby. It's over a week now and bar the first smile in the morning when I take him up, he honestly has not smiled. He's not in bad form as such, he's not irritable but he looks fed up or something. My partner and I are killed trying to get him to smile. It seems abnormal. That's why I posted. I wish he would smile again and show us he is happy. :(

Dont worry about it, imagine if you had all your teeth coming out of your gums with no idea whats going on, and then your house mates in your face trying to get you to laugh!! :D

Only 6 months to go!

Then the terrible twos hit. Then you'll be saying "only 16 years till we can kick these moany feckers out!!" (though, maybe thats just me!!! :) )

TLDR; youve enough to be worring about, without stressing over the little things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

Cheers.

PS what is TLDR ?? :confused:

Kate253 wrote: »
    Cheers.

PS what is TLDR ?? :confused:

Too long didnt read.

It originated as a common way to give a brief synopsis for anyone who didn't want to read a (my) long winded post. It's now used for comedic effect..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So far so good. Her first two popped up early-ish. Then nothing for... Jeez, a year? 8 arrived last week at 14 months. Molars. Even though she doesn't have her incisors or canines yet. She woke a bit during the night alright that week, but settled back. Didn't medicate so far ( i would if she needed it, but seems fine). She is super distracted all day though, with creche and her big sister and we are like hurricanes after work, cooking, racing off to the duck pond, play on swings, bath, stories etc. they don't get a second to whinge there is so much going on. I actually have no idea if she was smiling any less.

I was reading the history of teething. Up to only about 100 years ago people thought it was something that could kill babies. "Teething" was often written on death certs of infants, and people used to use knives to cut open the gums. Mad stuff. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My three month old has turned into Jekyll and Hyde with teeth! He's knawing at everything but can't keep things in the right place in his mouth so gets frustrated. It's hurting him to drink his bottle so that's now taking an hour and he's still not getting it all into him so I'm back counting ounces to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated

Anyone know what you can give a 3.5month old? Teethers are too big for his mouth though we've been cooling his soother and that works for short while

I woke up a few days ago to him knawing on my knuckle which he managed to manoeuvre into his mouth. I had put my finger in his hand an hour earlier soothing him back to sleep...

I started giving my baby his bottles straight from the fridge at 5 months and he seems to get relief from the coolness. My phn recommended calgel but you have to get it in the UK. Not sure from what age tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Agree with the Calgel recommendations, it is magic stuff!

I took a bit of the babies calgel myself when i was crippled with a tooth ache and wasn't able to get to the dentist.. Tis mighty stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

My three month old has turned into Jekyll and Hyde with teeth! He's knawing at everything but can't keep things in the right place in his mouth so gets frustrated. It's hurting him to drink his bottle so that's now taking an hour and he's still not getting it all into him so I'm back counting ounces to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated

Anyone know what you can give a 3.5month old? Teethers are too big for his mouth though we've been cooling his soother and that works for short while

I woke up a few days ago to him knawing on my knuckle which he managed to manoeuvre into his mouth. I had put my finger in his hand an hour earlier soothing him back to sleep...
    We seem to be on similar paths :) Alternating calgel and teetha sachets every couple of hours. Calpol when she wakes screaming at 4am. Sophie for chewing. She can hold it herself at 3.5 months.

We seem to be on similar paths :) Alternating calgel and teetha sachets every couple of hours. Calpol when she wakes screaming at 4am. Sophie for chewing. She can hold it herself at 3.5 months.

I have the big Sophie but I think I need the smaller one for him tbh! I gave calpol this evening after an hour and a half of screaming, poor lad was in bits. Is calgel available in Ireland? I have teething gel alright

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Went to Sean Boylan in dunboyne, a herbalist, worked for us

Finding it really really hard to get bottles into my lad. Does anyone know how many ounces less than normal will cause issues? With extra bottles and lots of nudging and arguments I managed about 26oz today (and some of that is in his bib from refusing) but he'd normally have about 34. I'm going to up the teat size tomorrow (since I have them anyways) to see if he'll get further with less suck needed but it's clearly hurting him a lot.

He's only 3.5months so not on solids or anything like that to have more sources of fluids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Finding it really really hard to get bottles into my lad. Does anyone know how many ounces less than normal will cause issues? With extra bottles and lots of nudging and arguments I managed about 26oz today (and some of that is in his bib from refusing) but he'd normally have about 34. I'm going to up the teat size tomorrow (since I have them anyways) to see if he'll get further with less suck needed but it's clearly hurting him a lot.

He's only 3.5months so not on solids or anything like that to have more sources of fluids.

It's the big Sophie we have too. When reflux was flaring here last month my daughter dropped to 20oz average. Some days only 18. The stress was unreal. I blamed it on teething at the start then realised it was the reflux flaring. Ended up getting zantac from doctor as gaviscon stopped working. However then I found my miracle cure

Eta! Calgel only available up the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Alternating calgel and teetha sachets every couple of hours.

I'm not mad bout the teetha sachets myself... it's sugar ground up. Pure lactose. Bizaarly marketed, as pouring ground sugar straight into a babies mouth can't be good for their teeth. (Although no doubt they will love it!)

I've a few tubes of calgel going spare. If ye want to pm an address, I'll send on this evening.

No cash required obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I am heading to smyths today for the Sophie giraffe. Into the blue if no one else wants the cal gel I would really appreciate it. No worries if it's gone already. My poor little girl is not getting any relief.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Keep a stash of teething rings in the fridge to bring relief. Our fella used to love the chewable toothbrush and also the brushbaby first electric one that seemed to massage his sore gums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Mirror have you tried dunking his so other in water with the teeth pinched,letting it go and filling it with water and then into the freezer? My munchkin gets a bit of relief from that.
    .I'm hitting to Newry on Thursday must restock on calgel. It gives great relief esp when they are nodding off.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Mirror have you tried dunking his so other in water with the teeth pinched,letting it go and filling it with water and then into the freezer? My munchkin gets a bit of relief from that.
    .I'm hitting to Newry on Thursday must restock on calgel. It gives great relief esp when they are nodding off.

I'm doing that alright, it works for a while lashes! I have 8 soothers on the go!

I'm going to head to newry next week so intotheblue if there's someone who needs the calgel give it to them as I'll get access to it soon

fall wrote: »
    I am heading to smyths today for the Sophie giraffe. Into the blue if no one else wants the cal gel I would really appreciate it. No worries if it's gone already. My poor little girl is not getting any relief.

Sent that there..

Two left..

My chap is going bad to worse so would appreciate one if there's any still left. Will PM you. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Sent that there..

Two left..

Thanks so much :-)

73trix wrote: »
    My chap is going bad to worse so would appreciate one if there's any still left. Will PM you. Thanks a mill.

Will send on in morn.. One left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Will send on in morn.. One left.

Pm sent

ceecee14 wrote: »
    Pm sent

I'll send that on today..

• Advertisement

Thanks a million.

Advertisement