Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training Dog to Stay in Bike Trailer

• 06-05-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I got a bike trailer for my dog so I can take him with me sometimes when I go cycling. I'm trying to train him at the moment to relax when he's in it but he's not all that keen on it. I've been giving him a Kong with treats when he gets in and he's happy enough while that keeps him busy but then he starts whining and barking. Has anyone else any ideas about what I could do? Really want this to work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Has he had his energy expelled before you put him in? Has he had a good run around so he doesn't feel like he's sitting around when there's still so much to sniff and run after?

Have you ever taken him cycling before? As in, running along next to your bike?

He could simply be bored in it. Like you said, he's happy enough with a Kong, but if there's no Kong, what else is there for him to do? I'm assuming he's a young enough, energetic dog.

How does he feel about bikes in general? Does he ever react to them?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

VonVix wrote: »
    Has he had his energy expelled before you put him in? Has he had a good run around so he doesn't feel like he's sitting around when there's still so much to sniff and run after?

Have you ever taken him cycling before? As in, running along next to your bike?

He could simply be bored in it. Like you said, he's happy enough with a Kong, but if there's no Kong, what else is there for him to do? I'm assuming he's a young enough, energetic dog.

How does he feel about bikes in general? Does he ever react to them?

I think you're right. I gave him a walk first but we were going to the beach and I didn't want to tire him out in advance. Also he does get bored easily so more exercise and more kongs may be the answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

I assume your dog has an injury that you want them confined in the trailer.
    If your dog is not injured or ill it may be better to let him run beside the bike by using a bike-lead attachment. I would get him used to just sitting in the trailer first just like you would a new kennel, this could be done in the garden or even in the living room. Reward positive behaviour with treats. If you force him to stay in the trailer against his will he will only want out every time. Once he is comfortable in the trailer then you can attach the bike and build up distances gradually.

denismc wrote: »
    I assume your dog has an injury that you want them confined in the trailer.
    If your dog is not injured or ill it may be better to let him run beside the bike by using a bike-lead attachment. I would get him used to just sitting in the trailer first just like you would a new kennel, this could be done in the garden or even in the living room. Reward positive behaviour with treats. If you force him to stay in the trailer against his will he will only want out every time. Once he is comfortable in the trailer then you can attach the bike and build up distances gradually.

No he hasn't an injury but I would like to be able to bring him on bike rides with me, for example I'm hoping to do the greenway up in Westport soon. I will start the training with him indoors as you suggest. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No he hasn't an injury but I would like to be able to bring him on bike rides with me, for example I'm hoping to do the greenway up in Westport soon. I will start the training with him indoors as you suggest. Thanks.

Unfortunately dogs aren't allowed on the Greenway at all, as it goes through fields of sheep.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Unfortunately dogs aren't allowed on the Greenway at all, as it goes through fields of sheep.

Thanks a lot, that's good to know but its a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

muddypaws wrote: »

I know that strictly speaking, one's not supposed to. However, I walk my dog on the Greenway daily, as do a great many other people. I always have her on a lead and often meet my neighbour - who has fields of sheep himself - walking his dogs.

The Council have done a great job of fencing and separating the Greenway from adjoining fields. I wouldn't worry at all about bringing the dog, provided it's on lead. (Or in a bike trailer!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I know that strictly speaking, one's not supposed to. However, I walk my dog on the Greenway daily, as do a great many other people. I always have her on a lead and often meet my neighbour - who has fields of sheep himself - walking his dogs.

The Council have done a great job of fencing and separating the Greenway from adjoining fields. I wouldn't worry at all about bringing the dog, provided it's on lead. (Or in a bike trailer!)

Thats great to read, but also really frustrating, as we asked about doing a walk, all dogs on lead, insured etc, and were told absolutely no way.

Advertisement