Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ee've all dropped our bikes - Share

• 06-05-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

When I started riding 25 maybe more years ago, I bought a provisional and a bike, a ts 100, and took to the road, no lessons or anything like that!, At the first set of traffic lights, came to a halt and hadn't worked out how the clutch worked.
    Long story short, revved the fúck out of the 2 stroke and let go the clutch, bike went up 180 and came down on a traffic island, which was just as well cause there was a woman with a pram on the other side.
    I have more!!
    Please share yours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Dropped my Bandit in a ditch 2 weeks into my riding career while trying to do a U-turn. Dropped my [rough] Blackbird in the shed while working on it. My Busa mysteriously fell over in the garage one time- my dad definitely had nothing to do with it :rolleyes: Dropped my current bike- a Mille on both sides- once because the side stand was down [gammie switch] and the last time because of oil at a junction. My Blackbird subsequently got written off after a skirmish with a tractor- [ I wasn't there- I was having a lie down at the time...] and when I came off that Enfield, it bounced and I didn't...

So yea- bad stuff happens to bikes- make sure you have the best possible policy- step back NCD is your friend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Haha, Pulled into the driveway a while back, and the phone rang, had conversation with my mate, closed the call and got off the bike. Hadn't put the side stand down! Close call, I barely kept it up, once it started tipping over. Felt like a weight lifter.
    I have more :)

Disc locks anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Dropped mine on Sunday. I was along the side of the airport and went to pull in to take a breather and watch the planes come and go. Just happened to pull in to a patch of mud, before gravel, and the bike went from under me. I was probably doing 2-3kph at the time. Looking back at the GoPro footage, it looks like I pulled in and put the bike down on it's side. :D The side of the bike was covered in mud, but that was the height of the "damage".

The bigger issue was that because of the mud and grass, I couldn't get any grip to get the bike back up. Thankfully a car parked a few meters away helped me. They just kept the tires from moving and I got the bike up. Stupid me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OK, here goes:
    Half way down a kerb and the bike was too high to put my foot down. Parking facing down a hill. Pulling the front brake while doing a tight turn between cars in rush hour traffic on Pearse Street. Making a bollocks of a bump start. Getting off the bike and thinking the stand was down when it wasn't. Trying to put it on the main stand with wet boots and slipped off
    Disc locks anyone?

We could have an entire thread for that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Twenty minutes after leaving the dealer up in the north with my new shiny bike I pulled up onto the footpath at the side of a main road to take stock. It had a plastic gully running along the edge of the footpath. Lost the front wheel on the slippery plastic and dropped the bike doing 10mph and broke two indicators. Kinda took all the good out of the remaining 150 miles home. Couldn't show it off to anyone till I had sourced the new parts and repaired the scratched panel.

Dropped a CBR 600 I once owned practically outside my front door. Stopped at a tee junction to let a neighbour pass before pulling out. Put the foot into a pothole and and almost held it. (Damn thing was too tall for me anyway) Did a slow motion tip over and let the bike on the ground in full view of everyone followed by a superhuman pickup before anybody else came along. No damage except to my pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Disc locks anyone?

Only all the f*cking time :mad: ~ do I ever buy a 'dope rope', no because I'm a dope.

My carbon fiber mudguard to tore to sh*t because I keep forgetting the damned disc lock :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Then there was the time in the seventies when I was showing off to my friends at work how I could scrape the foot peg of my CB125 entering the car park. Well, I certainly managed that alright plus a lot of bits (of me) that I hadn't meant to. The shame stung worse than the road rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Dropping the blackbird because I stopped at the edge of an invisible hump on the road, had the misses on the back and fully loaded with luggage...

I couldn't lift it back up.. then an old lady and some chick on a push bike came to help pick it up, the misses held on to my man card for a while after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Dropped my 1st HD outside the.............. HD shop.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

loadsa times hah

recently caught sidestand on the garage door, which half folded it back up without me noticing... splat

funny one I remember, is leaving the missus' house, and I'd only just put a tall saddle bag on the bike that day. It was late, and me not being entirely used to it, I effectively roundhouse kicked my bike over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I was just after getting new tires fitted at the local garage. I had the FZ6 for about 2 years with out an incident. Pulling out of the garage in full view of all the staff and a dozen other bikers that I know, outside having a chat and watching me leave.

Stopped at the entrance of the garage put my foot down in to what I thought was a small puddle, turns out it was a deep pothole! Couldn't free my foot in time, ended up trapped under the bike and absolutely drenched in water. Queue shouting and laughter from everyone, took them a few minutes before they gathered themselves to come over and lift the bike off me!

Still to this day whenever I visit they ask me if I want them to drive the bike out ...bastards! I learned a good lesson that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Stopped up a T junction to turn left. Put my left foot down to discover the road sloped away sharply into the gulley beside the footpath. Over the bike and I went. Unfortunately, it was in front of a pub with a few smokers standing outside... morto!
    Luckily a decent guy gave me a hand as I pulled myself out from under the bike. I could feel my face burning. Had to stand there for 20+ minutes as I had flooded the bike... awful! Really questioned if I was able for bikes after that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Was driving around france.

Drop 1: First day i had the varadero 125. First bike. Stupidly put it on the centre stand on a slanted road. Stand folded and the bike fell over. Broken brake lever.

Drop 2:
    Kawasaki Er6F
    Pulled into a rest area which had a nice view and a few tables and seats. It was crowded.
    I sat on the bike with both feet on the ground for about 2 minutes taking in the view.
    The i proceeded to hop off the bike, totally forgetting to put the side stand down. Bike falls over in front of everyone. Few lads splitting themselves laughing came over and helped me pick it up. Snapped the end off the clutch lever. Minor paint scratches.

Drop 3:
    Kawasaki Er6F. Accelerated a bit bit heavy out of my driveway. Time of the year where there was a lot of dead leaves on the ground. Rear wheel spun out and i low sided it. Snapped clutch lever, gear lever and scratched the fairing and engine casing.

Drop 4:
    Yamaha Xj6F - No drops to date!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Had just got a Fazer and was out on a spin, stopped for breakfast and was reversing the bike in alongside others. Hadnt got used to the weight and over she went. Thank fook there was no other bike to my left .. id have been sick and out of pocket!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Practising u-turns on a bank holiday Monday before my test on the Tuesday. Dropped the bike, snapped the brake leaver, mad panic to replace the lever stub before the test.

Managed to get the bike bogged down in mud at the side of my house, in the dark, in the middle of winter, in the pissing rain. Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back, couldn't lay down the bike to my left or right. Had to sit there and wait till the other half came home to rescue me :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

My second day riding I came to a stop on a slight camber; needless to say my brain hadn't worked out how a camber would effect a motorbike when it comes to a dead stop. Bent brake pedal and cracked indicator alongside a few other scrapes and scratches.

My first times riding on grass with road tyres I also dropped it at very low speed when I decided it was a good idea to grab the front break. Grass does nasty things to handlebars and fairings.

Did I mention the time on grass I was riding alongside a soccer pitch with a team playing and plenty of supporters lining the sides? Kinda embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Years ago when I was young and stupid I was riding a gsxr 750 slingshot wearing baseball boots and jeans, got all the way into town, about 8 miles from home, got to a set of lights and went to put my feet down and couldn't......... Damn laces were tangled round the break lever and gear lever, kinda wobbled and fell sideways into the taxi at the side of me!

^^
    haha, its happened to me loads of times but I've been lucky enough to wrench the fúckers out!!
    Here's another one, I decided one day that it must be possible to drive down the beach from portrane/ possibly Donabate all the way to clontarf and hence home,when the tide was out, without consulting a map, ended up with the bike axle deep and stuck in the sand with the tide approaching, started to panic and gave a superhuman reef to the bike and got it out, nearest dry land was portmarnock golf club, which I flew across, and out to tarmac, nearly lost the bike to the sea with that adventure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Was just over a very bad back about a year ago, parking my practically new Ktm 990 smt in the work car park, kicked out the side stand but it didn't fully engage, so when I leaned it over it headed for ground! Tried to catch the weight of it but heard an almighty pop in my back that scared the bejaysus outta me, so I dropped it, and was soon off to a&e in agonising pain!
    Great fun altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

My old CBR 250 In the back garden. I couldn't find the keys and thought I might have locked them in the little compartment under the rear seat.

Started shaking the bike to see if I could hear them rattle and shook it a little too vigorously (story of my life).

The bike started to go over to its right and I was holding the handlebars from the left.

No way I was gonna be able to hold it for long from that position. Broke a part of the wind visor yoke. Thankfully my mam and brother were in the kitchen and I managed to shout loud and quick enough that they ran out before the bike went completely over.

I saw a guy trying to take off without removing the disc lock outside Stephens Green Shopping Centre, and the lock jammed into the forks. He stayed upright, fairplay, but was trying his best to get the disclock off and couldn't get key into the lock as it was at such an awkward position. I went over and said, take it out of gear and roll it backwards. Did the trick, he was morto though :)

I have more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Dropped my first bike (ninja 250) after having it for around 6/7 months. Was going around a roundabout with a dodgy cambre at night in the rain, didn't realise there was a trail of mud running down and around the roundabout from a nearby building site. I lean into the turn, bike slips out from under me and I end up on the ground looking at my poor baby lying on her side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I was driving around a corner in a car park and the bike went from under me. It was a TINY bit of oil but enough to send me on my arse.

Driving into my girlfriends apartment block on a rainy night. I drove in too fast and the tires didn't hold.

I thought I could drive my bike up a kerb like I could by car. But instead I just slowly crashed into the kerb and fell over. A few people seen me do it.

I was hit from behind by a car in slow moving traffic. The bike fell on top of me and I got stuck. An old man came over and saved me.

I was exhausted driving home one night and had a few moments of memory loss after going through a few traffic lights.. while sitting at the next set of traffic lights the green light comes on and I drove out only to be hit by a car. It was a pedestrian light I seen, not my green light :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Well where do I start :D

1. Bandit 600 -Only had bike a few hours, lovely Bandit 6 which I bought from my mate, was practicing learning to ride it as I had never rode a bike. My ,ate said I was doing well and was on the phone while I was attempting a very large U-Turn when bang I got it wrong and down she went. Damaged Brake level, indicator and screen and also a nice dent in the tank thanks to the bar end. :o

Steffano2002 can verify the above :D

2. Bandit 600 - Was parking bike up one night and where I park it I have to move bike back and forth to fir under sitting room window (so sideways to the direction I drive in). Anyway our drive way is cobblelocked and where the bike is park is where the drive begins to slope away. Just as I was backing the bike up I put my right foot down to go back forward again, well that didn’t happen as I put my foot out too far and over she started to go. It was like time had frozen :D it felt an age but after a brief battle of " I’ve got this" I didn’t have it :P and over she went. The mother came running out as all she could see was the headlight up in the air shining at the sitting room ceiling :D I was slightly embarrassed and declined any help and lay there for a moment haha

3. GSXR 600 - Coming home late from work one night, long 15 hour day, was coming up to the lights at Fairview heading out of town. Lights went red I filtered to top of queue of about 3 or 4 cars bike was slowing down and as I tried to put my left foot down panic ensued as I had caught my bike trousers on the foot peg. I fought her for a minute, well felt like a minute and then gave up and just stepped off the bike and let her gently drop to the ground. Queue red face as lights had now turned green and I was holding up cars I just filtered past to get to top of queue :o Cars in lane beside me just pulled off, thanks for the help Mr car driver, old man behind me asked was I ok. It felt like for ever trying to pick bike up with the road slippy as it started to rain as well. Double embarrassment as I was afraid I would flip onto other side as it fell on the left side and had no side stand to help me out if I pushed too far.

Advertisement