Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarms in rentals?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Was viewing an apartment today (looking to rent) which had no burglar alarm, and asked the letting agent about having one installed. He checked with the landlord and they say that if we rent the place, we can put in an alarm ourselves. I'm wondering if I should ask for the landlord to contribute if I do.

On the one hand, it would theoretically add to the value of his property a small amount and possibly deter damage from break-ins.

On the other hand, it's us that want the alarm, so the landlord might not be expected to pay anything (and he isn't obliged to, anyway).

Basically I'm asking: if I go ahead and foot the bill for an alarm on a rented property without contribution from the landlord, am I being had because I'm basically improving his property for free?

I've not signed a lease yet, and am waiting to find out the exact cost of an alarm before I do. I'd be interested in hearing what ye think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Its a bit crazy tbh, an alarm is about €1000, if you want an alarmed property, only view ones with alarms. I cant see the LL contributing, if he wanted one, he would have installed one.

Advertisement