Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 beeping help

Options
  • 06-05-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Searched the forum and found nothing on this. This was happening the odd time before but has happened a few times today.

Every so often, the PS4 make a beeping sound, the same one it makes when you turn it on. This is while it is in use. Note there is nothing apparently work with the console, nothing at all, however it never did this before and so I can't help be concerned.

Everything on the net goes on about replaced hard drives and disc ejections. The console is as new, with the original hard drive, and as mentioned above no issues, so these aren't it.

I would appreciate if anyone had any experience with this they could share to put my mind at ease. I would just like to know why it is doing this.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Note there is nothing apparently work with the console, nothing at all, however it never did this before and so I can't help be concerned.

Do you mean there is nothing apparently Wrong ? with the console only for the random beep noise ?.

Just a question... does your ps4 console fan sound very loud when this beep occurs ? Is it over-heating ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Do you mean there is nothing apparently Wrong ? with the console only for the random beep noise ?.

Just a question... does your ps4 console fan sound very loud when this beep occurs ? Is it over-heating ?.

Well that's got to be the strangest typo or auto correct ever. I indeed meant wrong.

And not as far as I am aware; it is rare that the fan overheats.

Ah very good. I was just curious as to any over-heating problems, as the system will beep in-game if the APU is overheating.

Did you update the firmware to v251 I think it is ?.

Do a test and disable rest-mode in the ps4 settings and see if it still beeps in games. There are a few problems with the rest-mode function, but I'd disable rest-mode and update the firmware if possible and then enable rest-mode again just to see.

Also check notifications in the settings to see if anything is mentioned.

Yeah the firmware is up to date. Just noticed that it is doing this while the console is off completely now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,821 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very strange, it could be the PS4 trying to eject a disk. Put a disk in and leave it there, next time you notice the beeping, see if the disk is sticking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Have you tried the instructions on this page?

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/12/ps4-unexpected-disc-eject-beeping/

If the problem gets worse or affects gaming, just send it back to sony for repair. If you are out of warranty then you can take the underneath/bottom part of the console apart via the 3 screws at the back of which are covered by 3 plastic tabs, and have a look inside at the bluray connections to make sure they are tightly connected... in pic below.

It's nothing to do with the disk. Disc was in the console when it started happening and it never came out in that time. Took it out just incase, and took the foot off underneath the button. No difference. It's a different sound to the disc eject tone anyway. Same low intensity beep as when you first turn the console on. Frequency was a lot less yesterday. Still no outward symptoms of anything being wrong.

Bongalongherb, you suggested about the fan before. While I had never noticed before, and it could have been a once off, I noticed yesterday that the fan kicked in loudly distinctly right after a beep. Could you explain what you original theory was?

• Advertisement

GodlessM wrote: »
    Bongalongherb, you suggested about the fan before. While I had never noticed before, and it could have been a once off, I noticed yesterday that the fan kicked in loudly distinctly right after a beep. Could you explain what you original theory was?

My first thought on this beep problem was that the PS4's APU processor and/or the graphics chips were not seated correctly with the thermal paste and the 8 memory thermal pads on the heat-sink possibly causing over-heating in below pic...

To rule over-heating out... insert a graphically demanding game into the console and start it up. If possible play it for 20 minutes with no sound while listening to the fan sound only. If the fan noise sounds like a hair-dryer very loud after 20 minutes you would have an over-heating problem, and the above would be true.

Also, has your PS4 ever shut-down on its own while playing a game ?

Oh, one more thing. Has your PS4 ever been dropped or have a hard bang at any time when you first noticed this beeping ?.

My first thought on this beep problem was that the PS4's APU processor and/or the graphics chips were not seated correctly with the thermal paste and the 8 memory thermal pads on the heat-sink possibly causing over-heating in below pic...

To rule over-heating out... insert a graphically demanding game into the console and start it up. If possible play it for 20 minutes with no sound while listening to the fan sound only. If the fan noise sounds like a hair-dryer very loud after 20 minutes you would have an over-heating problem, and the above would be true.

Also, has your PS4 ever shut-down on its own while playing a game ?

Oh, one more thing. Has your PS4 ever been dropped or have a hard bang at any time when you first noticed this beeping ?.

Never shut down or done anything out of the ordinary. And definitely never been dropped as it has not moved from its spot since I got it. Will try what you said. Thanks.

Never shut down or done anything out of the ordinary. And definitely never been dropped as it has not moved from its spot since I got it. Will try what you said. Thanks.

Very good. Just try my above approach on the game as this will at least rule out any over-heating problems.

So I tried everything, and no problems. Then I think I discovered what the beeping was about. It is mundane, and it is moderately embarassing material, but the short of it is my girlfriend just found her stopwatch which had fallen down behind the TV unit, right behind the Playstation. I asked her to make it beep; it sounds exactly like a Playstation. Sure enough after a smoothered the thing in another room I haven't heard a beep in two days.

Problem solved with silly solutions; another one for the grandkids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So I tried everything, and no problems. Then I think I discovered what the beeping was about. It is mundane, and it is moderately embarassing material, but the short of it is my girlfriend just found her stopwatch which had fallen down behind the TV unit, right behind the Playstation. I asked her to make it beep; it sounds exactly like a Playstation. Sure enough after a smoothered the thing in another room I haven't heard a beep in two days.

Problem solved with silly solutions; another one for the grandkids.

Ahh jayusssss.
    Word of advice..... If you are ever diagnosed with a hole in your heart, then I suggest you check your top pocket for a polo mint.

Well that's a first lol, PS4 fixed by removing digital watch from behind the tv. Luckily that is all it was and nothing serious so.

Advertisement