If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspect speaker

Options
  • 06-05-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

I bought an Onkyo Home Theatre package (HT-R390) a few years back.  No issues with it and quite happy overall.  However the other night we noticed that the left front speaker (as you look at the TV) wasn't producing any sound.  I checked the wires and all are OK.  I swapped the left and right front speakers and confirmed that it was the speaker that wasn't working. 

There was a slight acrid smell from the speaker (SKF-548), not quite a burning smell but almost.  There is a similar but fainter smell from he other (working) front speaker.

Is it possible to buy individual replacement speakers?  If not, is it possible to repair them?

Thanks,

Mike R.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

dbpackers wrote: »
    Hi

I bought an Onkyo Home Theatre package (HT-R390) a few years back.  No issues with it and quite happy overall.  However the other night we noticed that the left front speaker (as you look at the TV) wasn't producing any sound.  I checked the wires and all are OK.  I swapped the left and right front speakers and confirmed that it was the speaker that wasn't working. 

There was a slight acrid smell from the speaker (SKF-548), not quite a burning smell but almost.  There is a similar but fainter smell from he other (working) front speaker.

Is it possible to buy individual replacement speakers?  If not, is it possible to repair them?

Thanks,

Mike R.
    Hi dbpackers.

Sorry to hear about the issue with the Onkyo speaker.

I would not suspect that the speaker could be repaired as I think it is a sealed unit.
    I have also checked with the Onkyo repair agent and they have confirmed that these speakers can not be repaired. They have also confirmed that they do not hold spare speakers for this system.

If you drop me you name in a PM I can check when the system was purchased.

you could also by a pair of bookshelf speakers and replace both fronts?

Perhaps something like the Mordaunt Short M10 coming in at 69.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200629-m10.aspx?swapstore=1

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dbpackers

Hi

Thanks,

Mike R.
    Hi dbpackers.

I would not suspect that the speaker could be repaired as I think it is a sealed unit.
    I have also checked with the Onkyo repair agent and they have confirmed that these speakers can not be repaired. They have also confirmed that they do not hold spare speakers for this system.

Kenny,

Thanks for the response and apologies for not responding sooner. 

I've been thinking about this some more. I've never properly positioned my rear speakers, due to cable length and the fact that I haven't been organised enough to get longer cable.  Rather than buying new speakers to replace the burnt out front left (and possibly failing front right), could I move the rear left and right to the front and buy a wireless add-on solution for the rears?

Hi

Thanks,

Mike R.
    Hi dbpackers.

Kenny,

Thanks for the response and apologies for not responding sooner. 

I've been thinking about this some more. I've never properly positioned my rear speakers, due to cable length and the fact that I haven't been organised enough to get longer cable.  Rather than buying new speakers to replace the burnt out front left (and possibly failing front right), could I move the rear left and right to the front and buy a wireless add-on solution for the rears?
    Hi dbpackers.

You could swap the rears to the fronts no problems but we would not have a wireless option we could offer for the rears unfortunately.

It is not very common to use wireless for home cinema. I'm sure that it is out there but it is not something we stock. We tend to sway away from wireless for home cinema as having a wired connection does give a better sound quality and also never suffers from interference due to a lot of waves traveling through the air.

For wireless you would be looking at something like the Denon Heos home cinema which is a sound bar and sub then you can add in other Heos parts to act as rears. The same goes for the Sonos kit.

Heos:
    http://usa.denon.com/us/heos-home-cinema-wireless-soundbar-and-subwoofer-system
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/c-111-HeosMultiRoomAudio.aspx

Sonos:
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=sonos

This would involve replacing everything and starting in and around the 2000 Euro mark.

Hope this helps a little.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks again Kenny.  2,000 not a runner.  I'll have another look for alternative fronts as per your original suggestion.

Can you confirm those Mordaunts are compatible (connection wise) with the Onkyo and how far from the TV should they be placed (shielding)?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks again Kenny.  2,000 not a runner.  I'll have another look for alternative fronts as per your original suggestion.

Can you confirm those Mordaunts are compatible (connection wise) with the Onkyo and how far from the TV should they be placed (shielding)?
    DB,

I think Kenny misread your post - he was quoting for a full surround system rather than just wireless rears - THB I would not recommend that you mix a 5.1 system with wired and wireless speakers, to be blunt about it, with the current tech available it will just sound dreadful as there will be a significant audible latency between the wired and wireless speakers which ( for me at least) would drive you crazy!

I really do think that you would be far better off trying to run slim-line speaker cable discretely and install a budget pair of rears - if you like I can have the guys look through open box to see if we have any lonely orphan satellite speakers looking for a new home?

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

DB,

I think Kenny misread your post - he was quoting for a full surround system rather than just wireless rears - THB I would not recommend that you mix a 5.1 system with wired and wireless speakers, to be blunt about it, with the current tech available it will just sound dreadful as there will be a significant audible latency between the wired and wireless speakers which ( for me at least) would drive you crazy!

I really do think that you would be far better off trying to run slim-line speaker cable discretely and install a budget pair of rears - if you like I can have the guys look through open box to see if we have any lonely orphan satellite speakers looking for a new home?

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Sorry for the delay in responding.  One days crises melt away when newer ones arise and my surround woes never seemed to make it to the top of the list, especially as I still had some surround effect.

But now a bigger problem arises.  The HDMI pass-through on the Onkyo seems to be on the blink.  The screen keeps going black, just or an instant.  It was less frequent but it's on the increase and can happen several times every couple of minutes.  Restarting the Receiver sometimes clears it. 

It's definitely in the Receiver as when I skip it and feed directly to the TV everything is fine.  Indeed if I had only ine input device there'd be no problem as I could send video directly to the TV and still feed sound to the Receiver via the Optical cable as that is working fine.  But with multiple input devices, switching arounf HDMI cables isn't an option.

Is it worth having the Onkyo looked at or should I just be looking for a new system?  Can I simply replace the Receiver unit?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

DB,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Sorry for the delay in responding.  One days crises melt away when newer ones arise and my surround woes never seemed to make it to the top of the list, especially as I still had some surround effect.

But now a bigger problem arises.  The HDMI pass-through on the Onkyo seems to be on the blink.  The screen keeps going black, just or an instant.  It was less frequent but it's on the increase and can happen several times every couple of minutes.  Restarting the Receiver sometimes clears it. 

It's definitely in the Receiver as when I skip it and feed directly to the TV everything is fine.  Indeed if I had only ine input device there'd be no problem as I could send video directly to the TV and still feed sound to the Receiver via the Optical cable as that is working fine.  But with multiple input devices, switching arounf HDMI cables isn't an option.

Is it worth having the Onkyo looked at or should I just be looking for a new system?  Can I simply replace the Receiver unit?
    HI Mike, thanks for the post

First thing worth trying, is that I know Onkyo have a customer service program, as they had a couple of models with faults on the HDMi, so it worth checking if your model is covered. YOu need to go this link - http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/customer-service-program-118747.html and enter your serial number
    If it is one of the affected models, they will offer either a repair, or an upgrade at a reduced price etc

Alternatively if you PM us your details, I can look up serial number on our system and check for you

Let us know how you get on.
    Brian

Thanks Brian.  I'll check the serial number when I get home.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

no probs, let me know how you get on

Brian

Brian
    The serial_no is 3298PP5130607540.  I entered at that link but it said I don't qualify.  I think its because I only have a video loss but no sound loss (or at least none that I've noticed).

• Advertisement

Brian
    The serial_no is 3298PP5130607540.  I entered at that link but it said I don't qualify.  I think its because I only have a video loss but no sound loss (or at least none that I've noticed).
    Hi Mike,

Unfortunately Brian is off today but perhaps I can help? There is a direct number you can contact them on: 00[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]49-8142-4401111.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you want to try that first to see if they will take it in for you, otherwise you would have to send the amp to us as a chargeable repair. There would be a £40 estimate fee and then whatever the repair costs on top of that. However if you want to try that number first they might take it for you and save you a bit of money![/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let me know what you think.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kind Regards[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]David[/font]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.