Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safest way to use currency abroad.

Options
  • 06-05-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I'm travelling in the next few weeks to Asia for a month and will be visiting several countries with different currencies, and I am wondering what is the safest and most cost effective way to pay for things over there. I have a Visa debit card and credit card with BOI. I do not want to be carrying wads of cash around with me nor do I want to put every transaction onto my cards and incur fees everytime, it has been suggested that I just withdraw local currency at an atm when I get to each country, but would like more sound advice. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi KYteach, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie.

Both cards can offer you great benefits when abroad. Although, we are not permitted to provide any financial advice here, we have included links to both products to help you. 

These links will allow you to compare transaction, cash withdrawal, and cross boarder handling fees for both Credit Card and Visa Debit cards abroad. 

We can confirm, that both cards are accepted internationally at any point where their individual symbols i.e. Visa or MasterCard are displayed. 

Before you travel, we would recommend that you notify the individual departments of your travel plans. If you are registered for 365Online you can do this via the Online Service Desk. Alternatively, you can reach Credit Card Service on 0818 251 251 and BOI Direct on 0818 365 365 where a representative will be more than happy to assist you. 

We hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement