Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WHO bull****

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What's the problem? People have been celebrating the tax hikes on cigarettes for years. Or are we only in favour of the nanny state when it targets someone else's vice?

Cigarettes are automatically dangerous, there's no such thing as a "safe smoker". Fizzy drinks and alcohol can be consumed safely and responsibly, and those who do so shouldn't suffer financially because others cannot.

Personally I disapprove of cigarette taxes anyway, but you're comparing apples and oranges to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

catallus wrote: »
    It is cute when people see dark forces at work when all it really is is professional health-care people trying to influence policy for the greater good!
    Absolutely. And those same people trying/pretending to see dark forces throw the auld "naive sheeple" slur at those who don't think like them, when *they're* the naive ones, trying to come up with some angle when it's straightforward public health.

"Nanny state" is another empty soundbite. What exactly is the problem with alerting people to the increased risks of instances of diabetes, heart disease and numerous cancers? :confused:
    As someone else said, the WHO is not an Irish government agency - is the "stealth tax" thing just coming from the sky? Because I'm not seeing any indication of it, so what's the point in talking about a hypothetical as if it's an actual?

Can't believe the amount of thanks the opening post has gotten. People really think one person saying "bullsh1t" with a few anecdotes is more of an authority than the WHO? I wouldn't say there is an obesity epidemic, but excessive weight gain is definitely on the increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"Nanny state" is another empty soundbite. What exactly is the problem with alerting people to the increased risks of instances of diabetes, heart disease and numerous cancers? :confused:
    As someone else said, the WHO is not an Irish government agency - is the "stealth tax" thing just coming from the sky? Because I'm not seeing any indication of it, so what's the point in talking about a hypothetical as if it's an actual?

Can't believe the amount of thanks the opening post has gotten. People really think one person saying "bullsh1t" with a few anecdotes is more of an authority than the WHO? I wouldn't say there is an obesity epidemic, but excessive weight gain is definitely on the increase.

Again, "alerting" is fine. Trying to coerce people by artificial price fixing is not. It's my choice whether to abide by health warnings or not, and I shouldn't be financially penalised for exercising that freedom of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Again, "alerting" is fine. Trying to coerce people by artificial price fixing is not. It's my choice whether to abide by health warnings or not, and I shouldn't be financially penalised for exercising that freedom of choice.
    I agree. I'm not in favour of taxation on high-calorie foods either, but who's doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

Cigarettes are automatically dangerous, there's no such thing as a "safe smoker". Fizzy drinks and alcohol can be consumed safely and responsibly, and those who do so shouldn't suffer financially because others cannot. Personally I disapprove of cigarette taxes anyway, but you're comparing apples and oranges to begin with.
    Naturally not all health issues are going to be as black-and-white as smoking, but the justification is the same.
    They'll have the media whip up a frenzy about it, have their mouthpiece organisations "call for" price increases, and the government will oblige to protect the children.
    It's the same puppet show over and over again.

Advertisement