Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Struggling with Bench Press

• 07-05-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

As the title says, I am really struggling with bench pressing. I'm a 24 year old man, weighing about 13 stone and I cannot progress beyond 5x5 40kg. I've tried to deload and work my way back up several times but once go beyond 40kg, I stall. I've tried looking at videos online to improve my form but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any advice? Is there any other exercises I could do which might improve my bench press? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Have you altered rep ranges, sets, % of 1rm at all? or do you always do 5x5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can lift 40kg 5x5, is that right?
    What happens when you try 42.5kg?

Can you video a set of 5. From the front and a to the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Have you altered rep ranges, sets, % of 1rm at all? or do you always do 5x5?

More or less have always done 5x5. I should really try 3x5 but I suppose I felt that seeing as I struggle with such a low weight, there wouldn't be much point. Do you think it would it help?
    Mellor wrote: »
    You can lift 40kg 5x5, is that right?
    What happens when you try 42.5kg?

Can you video a set of 5. From the front and a to the side.

I can do 40kg, it is a struggle by the last set or 2 but I can do it. I can do one 42.5kg 5x5 but after that any more then 2/3 a set is difficult. I know if I try one more my arms just wont be able to lift it. I'm not really in a position to video me doing a set of 5. Would you know of any good videos to watch online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

This sounds like a confidence thing... Have you a spotter? If you dont, get one.

Another thing is the position of your hands correct? I found my arms used to get tired. A bodybuilder I trained with spotted that because of my long monkey arms my hands had to be way further out. Went from 60kg to 80kg that day for 5x5 and never looked back. My chest used to get sore before my arms did. Might be worth looking at that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can do 40kg, it is a struggle by the last set or 2 but I can do it. I can do one 42.5kg 5x5 but after that any more then 2/3 a set is difficult.
    Do you mean you can do one set of 5, and 5x5 once?

If you can do one set of 5, then you can do 5 sets. You just need to rest enough.
    How long do your currently take between sets?
    I know if I try one more my arms just wont be able to lift it. I'm not really in a position to video me doing a set of 5. Would you know of any good videos to watch online?
    Why can't you video? Even a camera phone video wold be fine.
    The issues are likely with something you are doing, and you may not be aware it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

It's fairly simple, to get good at something you have to do it more often.

Early in the week, Monday or Tuesday do - Wendler 5/3/1 program (look it up)
    Later in the week, Thursday or Friday do your 5x5 and use progressive overload (add 1.25kg each side once you can do 5x5).

Make sure your properly warm up not only to avoid injury but it also gives you a chance to get the technique down with a comfortable weight (make sure you are far from failure on these warm up sets!)

With regards to technique, I always found a closer grip helped me push with my chest and go heavier. A wider grip made me feel it more in my arms. Make sure you contract your scapula, keep your glutes and core tight, feet planted firmly on the ground, and have an arch in your lower back.

Also be patient not only in the set but with your results. A half second pause at the top of each rep helps me reset for the next rep and keep the movement controlled.

Forgot breathing. Very underrated. In going down, out going up!
    Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Do you do chest fly's?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Thanks for the advice everyone. Grip width and rest time between each has given me some things to experiment with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

It's fairly simple, to get good at something you have to do it more often.

Early in the week, Monday or Tuesday do - Wendler 5/3/1 program (look it up)
    Later in the week, Thursday or Friday do your 5x5 and use progressive overload (add 1.25kg each side once you can do 5x5).
    !

This should have given you things to think about too.
    Look into benching 3 times a week with different rep ranges. even try smolov jnr for bench. I would wager that you would find it very difficult to not make gains on this program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i learned to - in one motion - push with my feet under me , from my feet into my upper back slightly arched , blades tucked in , upper back into the bench and then push into the bar - this method improved my lifting strength by about 10 - 15 % - it creates a locked rigid platform with your body that powers the move.

also you may need to spot focus using dumbells , and fly dumbells

another thing that will improve your bench is chin ups , full length do them at least once a week
    this helps builds up the underlying structure involved in benching .

• Advertisement
Advertisement