Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Leader - "court" photos policy

• 07-05-2015 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭

I only read the online version but I find it funny how they will usually post a photo of a solictor or a judge rather than some charming character with double digit convictions after getting a slap on the wrist for the latest spree.

Do you think it is a public service to the people of Limerick to see the face of habitual criminals? Or is a violation of ... yawn

The funny thing is sometimes they make exceptions, so it's not a blanket policy. Say for example someone closing in on triple digit convictions at a nice pace, latest burglaries all wrapped up in a nice concurrent few months (suspended) sentence. Last month. Or someone robbing receptionists with syringe, this month. Shur you'd get good mileage out of the one photo with some folks.

This is not a comment on an ongoing case, this is a comment on court photos policy with a current, topical example.

Would you rather see photos of double digit convicted criminals , or a smirking solicitor / out of touch judge?

Would you BUY a paper copy if they had a nice photo page of people you'd rather avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I only read the online version but I find it funny how they will usually post a photo of a solictor or a judge rather than some charming character with double digit convictions after getting a slap on the wrist for the latest spree.

Do you think it is a public service to the people of Limerick to see the face of habitual criminals? Or is a violation of ... yawn

The funny thing is sometimes they make exceptions, so it's not a blanket policy. Say for example someone closing in on triple digit convictions at a nice pace, latest burglaries all wrapped up in a nice concurrent few months (suspended) sentence. Last month. Or someone robbing receptionists with syringe, this month. Shur you'd get good mileage out of the one photo with some folks.

This is not a comment on an ongoing case, this is a comment on court photos policy with a current, topical example.

Would you rather see photos of double digit convicted criminals , or a smirking solicitor / out of touch judge?

Would you BUY a paper copy if they had a nice photo page of people you'd rather avoid?

Should be published when convicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I find it almost as sickening when I see the photo of the smirking solicitor/lawyer/barrister or judge, as these are the people making a hefty living from these scumbags.
    What we now have in this country is not a justice system, its a justice business. A scumbag with 40-50 convictions has made serious dosh for many of the 'judiciary' while his/her victims are left with the personal cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Cash cows without a doubt - no incentive for the people who run the show to see that the interests of society are served. The best customer is a regular customer.

Though I suspect that we are veering into territory relevant to limerick city and county but not necessarily relevant to the limerick forum here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Some of these free legal Aid solicitors tell yarns John B Keane would have been proud of!...most of their clients are loveable rogues according to them....
    rob away lads the laws on your sides!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

hurler32 wrote: »
    Some of these free legal Aid solicitors tell yarns John B Keane would have been proud of!...most of their clients are loveable rogues according to them....
    rob away lads the laws on your sides!!

What really annoys me is that they try and absolve them of their behaviour because they had 'drink taken'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't see this as a regional issue, I think it's more a Journalism or a Legal issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement