Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV repair in Limerick

• 07-05-2015 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭

We bought a 40" Samsung Smart TV from a bargain alert thread here about 15 months ago and now the TV won't turn on. It is outside its warranty so we can't send it back for repair and besides, it was shipped from Holland.

The red light at the bottom of the tv keeps flashing but the screen doesn't come on. The red light is on when the TV is turned off and when you switch it on, the light usually flashes before the screen comes on but this time the screen isn't coming on at all.

Do you know of anyone in limerick or nearby (cork, clare, tipp) who may be able to fix this and also is there anyone who does a "no fix no fee" type deal whereby they don't charge if they look at it and can't fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Av services in Cork Samsung repair base for munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

sioda wrote: »
    Av services in Cork Samsung repair base for munster.

Thanks, will check them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Have a look over at the Consumer issues section, that 12 month warranty went out with the famine, its now a reasonable amount of time, most would agree, 15 months is not a reasonable amount of time.

I am no expert however, have a search through the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Is it making a clicking sound ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

oleras wrote: »
    Have a look over at the Consumer issues section, that 12 month warranty went out with the famine, its now a reasonable amount of time, most would agree, 15 months is not a reasonable amount of time.

I am no expert however, have a search through the above.

Contact the manufacturer and see if they will authorise repair for you or look at some of these https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=samsung+smart+tv+power+light+blinking

Might be something in there - one guy took off the back and cleaned the dirt/fluff out and it worked - contact the manufacturer first though - others plugged it out overnight from the sockets for 30 mins and then retried it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭893bet

Sounds like the inverter board is gone.

I think Sat Tv in the city fix tvs and also Leahy Tv repairs in cappamore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Aren't we covered under 24 months warranty under EU law

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

There was a known issue with Samsung TV's and under spec'd capacitors for older model TV's. I had this issue with a Series 6 or 8 can't remember which. Contacted Samsung as it was out of warranty and they arranged for AV services from Cork to collect and fix it. Mine started with a clicking noise each time it tried to switch on and would eventually get there until finally it gave up on me. Worth a google of known issues with your TV type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Feeder wrote: »
    There was a known issue with Samsung TV's and under spec'd capacitors for older model TV's. I had this issue with a Series 6 or 8 can't remember which. Contacted Samsung as it was out of warranty and they arranged for AV services from Cork to collect and fix it. Mine started with a clicking noise each time it tried to switch on and would eventually get there until finally it gave up on me. Worth a google of known issues with your TV type

THIS!!!

The lads in AV fixed mine for nowt! I took the back off mine, spotted the bad capacitors, and contacted them.

Fingers crossed for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Same issue on series 6 for me - took the back off - spotted 2 swollen caps - €3 in Maplin - sorted. ( Use usual electrical precautions working on circuit boards ... )

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. Will see if I can get the problem fixed now

Colemania wrote: »
    We bought a 40" Samsung Smart TV from a bargain alert thread here about 15 months ago and now the TV won't turn on. It is outside its warranty so we can't send it back for repair and besides, it was shipped from Holland.

The red light at the bottom of the tv keeps flashing but the screen doesn't come on. The red light is on when the TV is turned off and when you switch it on, the light usually flashes before the screen comes on but this time the screen isn't coming on at all.

Do you know of anyone in limerick or nearby (cork, clare, tipp) who may be able to fix this and also is there anyone who does a "no fix no fee" type deal whereby they don't charge if they look at it and can't fix it?

$%$^^%$£

Same thing happened my telly last night.

Plugged it in and there was a crack/bang.

Have dropped mine to leahys but I suspect it could be a 200 euro job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My telly cost 85 euro to repair.

Ours is with a guy in croom for a week now and hasn't been touched. Will be getting it back from him tomorrow and bringing it somewhere else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Check out Urlan on Clare St. Their repair shop isin their Ennis store and the repairs get collected from Clare St once a week. They charge €30 (AFAIK) to look at it and this is deducted from the repair charge if repairs need to be carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

why pay for something covered by warranty? no goods can be offered with warranty shorter than 24months now
    http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

Ya we found the original ad for the TV online and it said it had 2 year warranty.....

Egg truly on face :P

In fairness it wasn't on the confirmation emails from them and on the online account.

Advertisement