Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHS Stage 1 @ Clonshire

Options
  • 07-05-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,

In a previous post I looked for some information on possibly sitting the BHS Stage 1, Now I am in the final few days before I sit the exam. Needless to say I am very nervous! :eek:

I am sitting the exam in Clonshire in Adare on Monday, I have never been to Clonshire and unfortunately I am without a car. Has anyone been here before and might possibly have tips on getting there using public transport? I might be able to get a drive to the centre but after I will definitely need too make my way to the bus station in Limerick.

Or have any hints and tips about doing the exam there in general? What is the yard like, what kind of bedding do they use?

Having never done a BHS exam before I am also worried about the procedure before the actual test begins, how long should I arrive before the exam, is there anything I need to bring(ID, verification I have paid?)

And last but not least, if anyone has last minute hints and tips about the exam I would really appreciate it!

Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Hi Emma

First of all, well done for booking and good luck!

I know Clonshire very well - I'll drop you a pm later today with some info

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Hey Ah_Yeah!

Thanks for getting back to me, that would be amazing!

I had planned on getting a lesson or two in Clonshire before I sat the exam but with living in Dublin and work and everything it just never happened :(

So any information would really help settle the nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

Hi, just posting to say you'll have a blast doing the stage 1...I did mine in Calliaghstown and the nerves disappear within seconds of starting the exam, the examiners are very understanding and make the day fun and laid back. It's all real basic stuff so you should have no problem passing. No help on the Clonshire front but wanted to post to say good luck and enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tommy090

Hey there! I know nothing about Clonshire unfortunately but I have done my Stage 1 last year.. First of all, it is NOT as bad and difficult as you think it will be, I was completely shocked haha (in a good way of course). My examiners were very nice & just wanted the simplest of answers in the theory section, don't go in depth with your answers! Make sure you know your feed samples & a description of each, watering & feeding rules, points of the horse etc. The practical was super easy, just make sure to skip out, close the door at all times, sort the rug out outside the stable, know your types of rugs, how to do a haynet etc and practice everything "the BHS way" up until your exam! Get there with plenty of time, have a good breakfast and BREATH, you will be fine. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hi! I've been in Clonshire for the last four years :) they've a big yard with plenty of horses. Their bedding is a fine sawdust mixed with some plant they grow and harvest themselves but I can't for the life of me remember its name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Ive never been to clonshire but would suggest get there early if you can as at least it will give you a few minutes to stroll around and get the lay out of the place and it wont seem so alien to you. You are also likely to be relaxed if you have time on your side.

In terms of the exam like someone else said do everything the bhs way until the exam so that it is habit. Relate your answers back to practicality ans safety (BHS stage 1 is all about being safe really) and dont be afraid to give an answer that differs from another candidates especially if you are sure your answer is right.

Best of luck in the exam

Thanks for all the good wishes and advice! I feel better about the exam already :)

For anyone who has sat the exam, I have a lip stud which I have never taken out :/ Should I remove this for the exam, would it be classified as excess jewelry?

Also I was planning on wearing my tweed hunting jacket, do you think this would be ok or should I wear a navy show jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

From my days in the Pony Club, any type of jewellery, such as earrings and rings, was banned and had to be taken out prior to competition. I think they've now extended that to body piercings, such as belly button, nipple, etc.

If it was me I would take it out, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tommy090

emma-fly wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good wishes and advice! I feel better about the exam already :)

For anyone who has sat the exam, I have a lip stud which I have never taken out :/ Should I remove this for the exam, would it be classified as excess jewelry?

Also I was planning on wearing my tweed hunting jacket, do you think this would be ok or should I wear a navy show jacket?

Yes I would take it out, they'd most likely see it as a "safety hazard"!.. And I wore a tweed jacket also, I think it looks smarter than the show jackets :)

Thanks for all the help and advice! I took out the piercings and wore the tweed jacket in the end :)

The exam was yesterday, wont have the results for 2 weeks or so :( I fluffed up some of the questions and I think my riding could have been more fluid, it was a bit all over the place. So it will be a long wait to see if I did enough to pass.

• Advertisement

Which horse did you have? :)

I had tough guy for the first half including the sitting trot, He had a very bouncy trot :/. Then I had meteor for the second half. Both lovely horses, nice and forward going which helps!

emma-fly wrote: »
    I had tough guy for the first half including the sitting trot, He had a very bouncy trot :/. Then I had meteor for the second half. Both lovely horses, nice and forward going which helps!

Ah poor old Tough Guy. He's in his late twenties and extremely hollow. I've rode him a few times, great for jumping.
    Meteor I've never rode. My friend really likes him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

sup_dude wrote: »
    Ah poor old Tough Guy. He's in his late twenties and extremely hollow. I've rode him a few times, great for jumping.
    Meteor I've never rode. My friend really likes him though.

Tough guy is not in his late twenties. Early early twenties maybe.

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Tough guy is not in his late twenties. Early early twenties maybe.

Aha the ages of those horses change, depending on who is asking. There was a horse there that was four one year and the next year he was 16 :P

The results finally arrived! I passed stage 1. Now for the road safety exam :D

Thanks for the help everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Congrats and well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

sup_dude wrote: »
    Aha the ages of those horses change, depending on who is asking. There was a horse there that was four one year and the next year he was 16 :P

School horses tend to pick an age and retain it for long periods - "12" for the past 10 years kind of thing!!

Advertisement