Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Poppy

Options
  • 07-05-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has had first hand experience of growing a tree poppy (Romenya coulteri). Saw one in bloom last year and was very impressed but found them quite difficult to source in Ireland, this appears to be because they are not easy to cultivate in our dull, damp climate and are notoriously difficult to establish. My soil is Wexford marl which is an added although not insurmountable, complication but I am reluctant to allocate the space (up to 100 sq. ft) on a vain project.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, have romenya. I've got limey well drained soil. It seems happy enough. Huge flowers, my kids call it the big fried egg plant. It was a lift from someone else's garden... not sure where you'd buy one. Plant shows probably.

It's not 100sq ft though! More like a decent sized shrub.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has had first hand experience of growing a tree poppy (Romenya coulteri). Saw one in bloom last year and was very impressed but found them quite difficult to source in Ireland, this appears to be because they are not easy to cultivate in our dull, damp climate and are notoriously difficult to establish. My soil is Wexford marl which is an added although not insurmountable, complication but I am reluctant to allocate the space (up to 100 sq. ft) on a vain project.

I've seen them in Murphy and woode in cabinteely, Johnstown had them but even more pricey, orchard had them to. All in 2,3 litre pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

pwurple wrote: »
    Yup, have romenya. I've got limey well drained soil. It seems happy enough. Huge flowers, my kids call it the big fried egg plant. It was a lift from someone else's garden... not sure where you'd buy one. Plant shows probably.

It's not 100sq ft though! More like a decent sized shrub.

Yes 100 sq ft is the optimal size. Your soil seems to be the best type to grow it in but apparently it has a an extensive root system. Well done on managing to transplant it as it seems to resent movement. Do you do any pruning?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Marhay70 wrote: »

Soil should be fine but they need a little shelter. Available in most of the bigger garden centres, now or shortly.

Advertisement