Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS Accuracy today

• 07-05-2015 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Did anybody notice the accuracy of their GPS plot today, Thurs 7th May? I noticed a distance error of more than 2% against known landmarks. On uploading to Garmin the track on the map did not overlap on "out & back" sections. I thought this was unusual as track and distance are normally spot-on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Solar Flares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

My garmin 500 told me on Sunday (last) that sections up towards the Sallygap were 644% gradient

Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Thanks Bazermc. I checked on http://www.tesis.lebedev.ru/en/sun_flares.html and this morning's cycle exactly matched the time of increased solar activity reported on the site. I have learned something new today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

GreyEagle wrote: »
    Thanks Bazermc. I checked on http://www.tesis.lebedev.ru/en/sun_flares.html and this morning's cycle exactly matched the time of increased solar activity reported on the site. I have learned something new today.

Damm so I wasn't spinning my legs contador style on 644% gradient and not even out of breath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much error would you usually expect to see in a GPS track? i'm using my phone (galaxy S5) and have seen a difference of over a KM in spins under 40km; i.e. one spin i did recently shows up as 38.2km in strava, but the exact same spin a week earlier is 39.5km - and you can see the older GPS track is more ragged looking on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

how much error would you usually expect to see in a GPS track? i'm using my phone (galaxy S5) and have seen a difference of over a KM in spins under 40km; i.e. one spin i did recently shows up as 38.2km in strava, but the exact same spin a week earlier is 39.5km - and you can see the older GPS track is more ragged looking on the map.

It depends on how often it saves co-ordinates, they work by collecting a location point at a set interval, and then joining the dots afterwards to give you your line. Which is why if you look closely you'll see the GPS records you cutting corners and the like. The accumulation of this can add up to a fairly significant amount of distance. I'd say a phone would have a longer interval than a standalone GPS so it gives you a bigger error.

Advertisement