Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre - Castlemartyr, East Cork

Options
  • 07-05-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello,

The Fibre roll-out map seems to have been updated recently and my area - Bridgetown in Castlemartyr, County Cork - appears to be scheduled for a May upgrade. Woop!

Can anyone tell if the Bridgetown estate in Castlemartyr will need further work on top of the upgrade to the exchange, and how long this might take?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hello,

The Fibre roll-out map seems to have been updated recently and my area - Bridgetown in Castlemartyr, County Cork - appears to be scheduled for a May upgrade. Woop!

Can anyone tell if the Bridgetown estate in Castlemartyr will need further work on top of the upgrade to the exchange, and how long this might take?

Thanks!
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Hi Mark_Crowley

Efibre coverage is provided by Local efibre (VDSL) cabinets which serve a max range of 2KM on a defined route - rather unlike normal broadband where lines connected to the exchange within a approx 5Km range can avail of broadband.

If you follow this link and click on NGA Fibre broadband Network it will give you more insight on this: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ (click on NGA fibre broadband Network)

Thanks
    Al

[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Hi Alan, was just wondering if you could tell me if ADSL2+ is available in Castlemartyr exchange or is it still only ADSL (8MB Max)???

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Hi Alan, was just wondering if you could tell me if ADSL2+ is available in Castlemartyr exchange or is it still only ADSL (8MB Max)???
    Hi Barry5714

The Castlemartyr exchange is not ADSL2+ enabled I'm sorry to say. Max speed it can support is up to 8Mb.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for the info Al, efibre is launching here soon any plans to install ADSL2+ for people further frome the exchange.
    1900m from the exchange myself...

Thanks for the info Al, efibre is launching here soon any plans to install ADSL2+ for people further frome the exchange.
    1900m from the exchange myself...
    Unfortunately there's no plans for an ADSL2+ upgrade at this moment in time Barry, That's not to say it's not being considered and a new schedule of plans should be available to me towards September if you would like to get back to me then. Sorry I can't offer you better news.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

No problem Al, thanks again..

No problem Al, thanks again..
    No worries Barry

Thanks

Al

Hi Al im back again;)

Efibre now seems to be available in Castlemartyr which is great news for the village, but as i suspected its out of my reach at 1900m from the exchange.

Can you confirm once again that Castlemartyr exchange isn't ADSL2 because when i go to the business section of the Eircom website and test my number it says i can get 12mb down and 1mb up which would be double what i'm currently getting on ADSL...

Thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Al im back again;)

Efibre now seems to be available in Castlemartyr which is great news for the village, but as i suspected its out of my reach at 1900m from the exchange.

Can you confirm once again that Castlemartyr exchange isn't ADSL2 because when i go to the business section of the Eircom website and test my number it says i can get 12mb down and 1mb up which would be double what i'm currently getting on ADSL...

Thanks....
    Hi Barry5714
    I will get your details from Al and check this again.
    Tony

Hi Al im back again;)

Thanks....
    Hi Barry5714
    Tony
    Hi Tony, i never gave Al my details. I'm actually a sky customer i said i'd ask in here cause you guys would know best what speeds the exchange can handle seeing as ye look after the installation and maintenance of any equipment in the exchange..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Al im back again;)

Thanks....
    Hi Barry5714
    Tony
    Hi Tony, i never gave Al my details. I'm actually a sky customer i said i'd ask in here cause you guys would know best what speeds the exchange can handle seeing as ye look after the installation and maintenance of any equipment in the exchange..
    Fair enough Barry5714, I have asked networks for info on this and will get back to you.
    Tony

Thanks Tony...

Thanks Tony...
    Hi Barry5714

Could you please PM me your land line number - it will really help me gain the most accurate insight to this for you.

Thanks

Al

Thanks Tony...
    Hi Barry5714

Could you please PM me your land line number - it will really help me gain the most accurate insight to this for you.

Thanks

Al
    PM sent...

Thanks Tony...
    Hi Barry5714

Thanks

Al
    PM sent...
    Thanks for the PM Barry5714

Yes good news, there was works on the exchange (completed 31st of May this year) which resulted in the ADSL2+ upgrade - basically meaning your line can now hold up to 12Mb download - the exchange itself was not NGB enabled although this is planned for the next 12 months.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Tony...
    Hi Barry5714

Thanks

Al
    PM sent...

Yes good news, there was works on the exchange (completed 31st of May this year) which resulted in the ADSL2+ upgrade - basically meaning your line can now hold up to 12Mb download - the exchange itself was not NGB enabled although this is planned for the next 12 months.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the info Al, so if i ring sky they should be able to increase my speed yes??

Thanks Tony...
    Hi Barry5714

Thanks

Al
    PM sent...

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the info Al, so if i ring sky they should be able to increase my speed yes??
    No problem Barry5714

I'm unaware on what sky can do and can't speak for them although if you were an eircom customer your speeds could be increased to the maximum capacity of what the line can hold.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Tony...
    Hi Barry5714

Thanks

Al
    PM sent...

Thanks
    Al
    No problem Barry5714

I'm unaware on what sky can do and can't speak for them although if you were an eircom customer your speeds could be increased to the maximum capacity of what the line can hold.

Thanks
    Al
    Well i'm on the road to becoming an Eircom customer, Sky said they couldn't increase my speed, so i rang one of your sales people who confirmed i should now receive 12mb download.. Good deal at 25 euro for first 6 months and after that the same as what i'm currently paying sky..

Hopefully the change over goes smoothly and i get the quoted 12mb, it would be a nice boost double what i get at the moment and would keep me happy for a couple of years until this NBP gets up and running..

Thanks again for all your help..

Barry5714

This is strange, my sky modem is now syncing at 12mb and getting 10.5mb on speedtest.net.... Is this down to me switching to eircom or have sky bumped me up, cause they said it couldn't be done???

This is strange, my sky modem is now syncing at 12mb and getting 10.5mb on speedtest.net.... Is this down to me switching to eircom or have sky bumped me up, cause they said it couldn't be done???
    Hi Barry

I see your eircom broadband activated with eircom today - it will work with a Sky modem no problem. Glad to hear of the speed increase.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up Al,

Here are my current stats. Are the good enough to maintain a 12MB profile?? I've read a Noise Margin of 6 or below can experience drop outs, but so far it's working perfectly...

Connection Speed - 12284 kbps / 670kbps
    Line Attenuation - 28.5dB / 15.7dB
    Noise Margin - 6.1dB / 23.23dB

Thanks for clearing that up Al,

Here are my current stats. Are the good enough to maintain a 12MB profile?? I've read a Noise Margin of 6 or below can experience drop outs, but so far it's working perfectly...

Connection Speed - 12284 kbps / 670kbps
    Line Attenuation - 28.5dB / 15.7dB
    Noise Margin - 6.1dB / 23.23dB
    Hi Barry5714

Yes the noise margin is a little low but in some cases 6.1dB can be just about enough. If you do start to experience complete connections loss please let us know.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al, if i have any problems i'll let ya know.....

Thanks Al, if i have any problems i'll let ya know.....
    Cheers Barry5714

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Hi Alan, the cabinet at bridgetown is apparently full at 750 connections. I am in the  bridgetown mews estate and waiting 2 months for a connection just being told to wait. Could you check with your network side to see if there is any plans to cater for more households? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Hi Alan, the cabinet at bridgetown is apparently full at 750 connections. I am in the  bridgetown mews estate and waiting 2 months for a connection just being told to wait. Could you check with your network side to see if there is any plans to cater for more households? 
    Hi Aka Ishur

I'm genuinely sorry to confirm that there's no plans to increase capacity to this although that position will likely change in 2016. Unfortunately for now the only way a port will be available is if an existing subscribe cancels thus freeing up a port. I understand how harsh this news is but ultimately that's the only news I have right now.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement