Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1, Lyric FM & Newstalk radio off the air this morning?

• 07-05-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

RTE 1 Radio, Lyric FM & Newstalk are all off-air right now (12.30pm)for a long period.

This sort of breakdown in transmission seems to be a fairly frequent occurrence, at least in the Limerick City area over the past year or longer.

I have emailed RTE in the recent past after another similar long in service but I didn't receive any reply.

I suspect there is some sort of chronic problem with a transmitter up on Woodcock Hill that hasn't been fixed, but RTE aren't saying anything.

Anyone have any theories about the situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I hadn't noticed a problem. Newstalk was working perfectly on my car radio 45 minutes ago, and my Dad has had RTÉ Radio 1 playing all noon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I finally got through to RTE by phone. The lady I spoke to acknowledged there was a problem on Woodcock Hill but when I mentioned the fact there was no prior announcement from RTE of a break in transmission, she said they don't normally issue announcements for specific regions as "it might cause confusion country-wide among the listeners."

There's what I consider the most stupid/cynical reason for not bothering to warn listeners in advance of these maintenance breaks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

Was listening to 2fm earlier and had the same issue, just a minute or so though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I live quite near the mast and there was a prolonged power cut today. I suspect they have a backup but perhaps that had problems of its own.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All should have at least adequate reception from Maghera on 88.8/98.4/107.6 anyway. Limerick isn't too bad for radio repcetion in that regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

marno21 wrote: »
    All should have at least adequate reception from Maghera on 88.8/98.4/107.6 anyway. Limerick isn't too bad for radio repcetion in that regard
    Online or digital, you'll never look back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

RTE 1 (89.4) off air again this morning. Same times as before....around 11-11.30 am.

As usual, no announcements or acknowledgement from RTE.

What's the problem with that 89.4 transmitter anyway? Seems to be a regular break-down at this stage.

Advertisement