Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pareto Principle PC build

Options
  • 07-05-2015 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I want to build a PC that has as much value for money as possible.

What I'm thinking of is a PC that consists of hardware that is as close to the sweet spot as possible.

Also I really want to be able to play the witcher 3 on high settings at 1080p with it :p

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cheap and cheerful as possible or am I misinterpreting the Pareto Principal? Its a lot simpler with a budget tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Cheap and cheerful as possible or am I misinterpreting the Pareto Principal? Its a lot simpler with a budget tbh

I'd say my budget is around €1000 but I have a bit of flexibility there. I'm thinking more of best value than cheap. For example I saw one graphics card that sells for about €100 second hand that does 80% of what a newer model that's €300 euro does.

What card is that?

Zalman T1 25
    I3 4160 110
    MSI H81 P33 45
    Seagate Barracuda 55
    8gb Ram 65
    Thermaltake Hamburg 530w 45
    Plus your card for 100 comes to €450.

That's the bare minimum I'd recommend for a gaming build, wouldn't last long to be honest, and it depends on your card too. Recommended upgrades are case, an i5, better CPU and graphics card, adding at least €300 so your call there, I'll list parts if you're interested.

SSD is always a good choice, don't know if it fits your model

Not sure of the card, my friend showed it to me but I forget the name. I'm a noob though so I could have misunderstood him :p

Thanks for your help man, would you recommend looking for second hand or going new?

New. Get the name of the card before you commit to anything because it could be crappy enough, I highly doubt it'll deliver what you're expecting.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks very much :)

Is there a card you would recommend that is close to the sweet spot of price and performance?

At 1080p, anything under 300 is pretty good going, maybe a GTX 960 or an R9 270X

Great thanks man. Just one more question, how come you wouldn't recommend second hand?

Second hand GPU and CPU is fine in my book, and a case but its likely to be a little scratched.

Anything else, I just prefer to get new, not much price difference and you've a full selection instead of settling for what's available.

You don't know how someone has treated their parts before you so I'd be wary enough of buying second hand

Great advice thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement