Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Lamaze toys experienxe

Options
  • 07-05-2015 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi, just in case anyone is like me and likes to machine wash anything that is constantly being drooled on or thrown up on and in this case toys that were second hand!

Today I machine washed:
    Octotunes
    Gardenbug wrist and feet rattles
    Huey the hedgehog
    Octivity time
    Horse
    Pull along Penguin

I wrapped them in a pillowcase which I sewed closed with 2 white and 2 colour catchers (just to be sure!)

Washed them in 30 degree quick wash with spin reduction, then drained rather than did a full spin

They are all outside drying and none the worse for wear. water got in the Penguins wheels but it's drying. The Octotunes holds a lot of water but the sound still works. Everything else is grand. Octivity is almost dry already.

There was very little online about machine washing them, particularly Octotunes so that might be helpful to someone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Washing at 30 degrees isn't going to do much in terms of killing bacteria

It's better than spot washing them which is what you are supposed to do

Edit: that actually might read pretty rudely. What I mean is you can obviously use antibacterial wipes etc but for a fresh look from grubby, very little beats a machine wash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Just use Dettol laundry cleanser - kills bacteria at 30 degrees.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Just use Dettol laundry cleanser - kills bacteria at 30 degrees.

Ooh good to know. Will do that next time. It's more just to let people know the toys will survive or at least they survived our ancient rental house washing machine anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm surprised Octotunes survived! Isn't that a musical toy like the Garden Chimes or Turtle Tunes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Good to know, thanks for reporting this :)

It's a little weird that there are so many baby toys you can't wash/sterilise at high temps - i've melted a good few teethers (and duplo bricks :o) not realising that you're not meant to clean them at high temps.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I'm surprised Octotunes survived! Isn't that a musical toy like the Garden Chimes or Turtle Tunes?

I think they're like horns in his legs rather than anything digital. I figured that before I tried it anyways! They sounded a bit off until they dried tho and some of them held a lot of water

I think it's mad to make infant toys that are spot clean only? Sure they do get filthy!

Advertisement