Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Commuter Bike

• 07-05-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I've just moved house and due to a terrible bus route I've decided to buy a bike and cycle to work. Its a 5k e/w cycle along the canal in Dublin. I've read a good few threads on here and am torn between buying a hybrid or road bike.What does everyone think?
    I have the bike to work scheme and a maximum budget of €1000.
    I'd imagine I'll do some cycling outside of my daily commute eventually as well ao maybe thats something to consider.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I will offer my usual advice. Spend about €200 on a 2nd hand but perfect condition bike, the Carrera TDF is the perfect bike in this bracket. Carrera also do a Hybrid bike if thats the way you want to go. Trek and Giant also have some lower models that might fall into this bracket.
    My reasoning is that you have a perfectly good bike, if a little heavy, on which to start cycling. If, after a while, you get the bug then you can blow the Cycle to Work budget on the dream bike and keep the cheaper bike for winter etc.

The way a lot of people do it is spend the €1000 CTW budget on a middle of the road aluminium framed bike which they sell for about €500 within the first year to upgrade to a Carbon Fibre framed bike.
    Only you can know which type of shopper you are :D and hindsight is 20/20 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Your major decision is between a road bike or hybrid. Look at a few of the many threads in this forum on that.

My opinion on that in a nutshell:

A hybrid is better for commuting because of the more upright position in traffic. For longer journeys or leisure cycling a road bike is much better and much more comfortable.

If you commute regularly you are probably going to want a road bike after a while (and then a better road bike a while after that!), especially if you are also using bike at weekends.

Good idea to buy a second hand hybrid for the commute and save your BTW scheme for when you upgrade to a road bike.

Get Disc brakes on your commuter bike. With irish weather this is a no brainer.

Get decent clothes to commute in and then change in work.

If you have not cycled in a long time you will have a sore posterior initially, it passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

cyclocrss bike...
    best of both worlds , takes mudgaurds if u buy the right one, and you can take it to the park or hills if you so desire!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

A road bike with drop handlebars kitted out with full mudguards and a rack and good panniers

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Lenny is selling this, they get decent reviews http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057426341

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Thanks for all the responses. After speaking to a few friends who are big into cycling I'm leaning towards a road bike

Any opinions on these two?
    http://www.harrysbikes.com/bikes/bikes-road-racer/2015-giant-defy-3.html
    http://duffcycles.com/about-shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=503&category_id=22

Advertisement