Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

young beech tree numerous dead branches?

Options
  • 07-05-2015 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

I planted a 12 ft ball root beech tree March 2014, well watered and fed for the first year.

This year's leaves are out a couple of weeks now and alot of the leaves are brown and dried out around the edges and there are quite a few very small branches dead ie.no leaves and dried out and one largish branch the last 3 ft of it has no new growth or leaves.

Some of the branches with healthy leaves at the extremities have smaller branches growing from them nearer the trunk with no leaves and snap off with very little force.

Is the tree in big difficulty , could it still be settling into its new home?

Should I cut off anything dead or that looks dead?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

bbsrs wrote: »
    I planted a 12 ft ball root beech tree March 2014, well watered and fed for the first year.

This year's leaves are out a couple of weeks now and alot of the leaves are brown and dried out around the edges and there are quite a few very small branches dead ie.no leaves and dried out and one largish branch the last 3 ft of it has no new growth or leaves.

Some of the branches with healthy leaves at the extremities have smaller branches growing from them nearer the trunk with no leaves and snap off with very little force.

Is the tree in big difficulty , could it still be settling into its new home?

Should I cut off anything dead or that looks dead?

Cheers.

The leaves on my beech hedging and trees have not come out yet, only in places. It is probably a bit early yet. Give it another couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

galljga1 wrote: »
    The leaves on my beech hedging and trees have not come out yet, only in places. It is probably a bit early yet. Give it another couple of weeks.

I was chatting to Dr Mathew jebb from the botanical gardens 2 weeks ago and asked him why had some of the beech trees were in leaf and others weren't,he said it was the different species some from colder Scotland and others from warmer France that retain their budding times.

Just a piece of useless info :)

Op with the dead twigs I would cut them off,just bit by bit incase you got green wood

Advertisement